Harriet's Organic Programming: Overview

I want to combine programming with flexibility. I like how the JTS programming book explains the principles needed to make programming work (like identifying your priorities, determining what traits you want to cultivate and what modalities/exercises will support them, applying specificity, overreach and fatigue management, etc). It makes programming less mysterious. I want to take a structured approach to my programming this year. But at the same time I need to be flexible because I cannot know how bad my fatigue will be in advance. Hence, organic programming. It’s a sapling, testing where the stone might crumble a little to allow a tendril to anchor. It’s the seed of a planet coagulating speck by speck as each new mote joins and adds its own gravity to the growing core. The principles of my organic programming are within the spoiler.

Spoiler

Goals

Good Mental and Physical Health

A Life filled with Meaningful, Pleasant and Necessary Activities

Traits to Cultivate

Energy
Calm
Focus
Discipline
Motivation

Modalities to Employ
Sleep: melatonin, sunlight, sleep hygiene & routine
Diet: low carb/keto/no grains, nutrient density, fasting, recommended supplements, salt
Abstinence: alcohol, scrolling, caffeine?
Movement: walking, strength training, stretching
Pacing: the only effective treatment for CFS
Routine: getting dressed, scheduling, habit stacking
Reflection: journalling, planning, mind-spirit practices

Process for Challenges

Reflect on the goals, traits and modalities, and determine either the greatest current obstacle or an area that seems ripe for expansion. Choose what ‘exercises’ could help, decide on something to overreach in (difficulty that seems a little beyond me) but also pick a fatigue management fallback; lower-effort options that will help me maintain instead of giving up completely.

• Like 7

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Organic Programming I: Interrupting the Infinite Scroll & Extending the Nightly Fast

Standard exercises for this challenge:
-DB weights at home with first cup of tea
-get properly dressed in the morning after weights/before art
-art from roughly 8-12. First, a video or book, then studies or free painting
-walk after lunch (or after grocery shopping)

Overreach for this challenge:
-fast until noon each day, and after dinner (tea with milk allowed)
-scrolling abstinence: avoid main distraction websites/apps until noon, on phone and computer

Fatigue Management/Fallback Position
-any amount of lifting will suffice as long as I do the first rep
-art requirement is met if I sit down without distractions for at least 15 minutes
-if I can’t get properly dressed I should at least brush and re-braid my hair
-I can always break the fast if hungry, but only with a meal (protein + fruit or veg), not a snack (chocolate lol). NOSNACK

-if I really truly can't walk I must nap for an hour with no devices or books. If I don't want to do that, I can walk

• Like 6

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

33 minutes ago, Harriet said:

-if I really truly can't walk I must nap for an hour with no devices or books. If I don't want to do that, I can walk

In some ways, I absolutely love this rule. In others, I wonder if it frames rest as your punishment rather than a necessary tool and ally in energy management.

It seems like a counterproductive incentive: using rest as the threat to force yourself out the door when a walk is marginally within your energy reserves seems like motivating someone to train on a twisted ankle by threatening them with an unsightly brace if they can't keep up. They should be in the brace so the ankle heals, training on it is a terrible idea. Using the correct treatment as the stick to avoid seems much less effective than incentivizing it and removing the stigma around it.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

These are great goals Harriet :)

So glad to see you ! Hope your Friday is going well xx

Hey Sal! Good to see you. ❤️ Friday is totally adequate! 

14 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

In some ways, I absolutely love this rule. In others, I wonder if it frames rest as your punishment rather than a necessary tool and ally in energy management.

It seems like a counterproductive incentive: using rest as the threat to force yourself out the door when a walk is marginally within your energy reserves seems like motivating someone to train on a twisted ankle by threatening them with an unsightly brace if they can't keep up. They should be in the brace so the ankle heals, training on it is a terrible idea. Using the correct treatment as the stick to avoid seems much less effective than incentivizing it and removing the stigma around it.

I understand your reasoning, but napping is not really a punishment for me when I'm tired. And I can go for a very short walk almost all days. If I cannot, I'm in trouble and the nap will do me good. What I want is 1) A way to sort real tiredness from the addiction-desire to scroll on devices, 2) Some token of my willingness to do what is good, for the sake of my self respect and routine mindset, and 3) If really truly sick, extra rest, which won't happen if I don't plan it (because I will be scrolling).

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Excellent goals, as always

Thank you!

41 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

Solid goals; I love the scrolling abstinence.   I have been debating taking FB off my phone 🙈

Well, does it add anything good to your life except filling the void created by itself?

39 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along. 

Most excellent!

• Like 3

Oh absolutely love the way this is setup Harriet! And going for real rest, that's a good one. 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Well, does it add anything good to your life except filling the void created by itself?

That's why Facebook isn't on my phone any longer, but Instagram still is. 

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

2023 goals tracker; 206,7/5000km & reading to my kids 16/365 days (updated jan-20)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

2 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

following.  I’m also need to have some snack management.  

Welcome! Let us be joined in snacklessness.

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Oh absolutely love the way this is setup Harriet! And going for real rest, that's a good one.

Thank you! Yep, can't hurt to rest.

So I have been having forbidden warm showers with the reasoning that I could avoid inhaling contaminated steam if the water is tepid, since steam only appears with hotness. But once in the shower, I tend to turn the heat up bit by bit because I absolutely loathe cold water, a hatred which is beyond the reach of reason or logic or health considerations. I think there has been some steam inhalation. This is sub optimal because the upstairs neighbour told me that they got the results for the legionella test and they're at 30,000, which is very high (and unlike the top floor, they share the same pipes as us). They said they found out a couple of days ago, so Mr Harriet went to confront the delightful Herr M, who ought to have mentioned it to us. Mr Harriet has already had words with him and specifically mentioned the immune defect. Happily, I haven't heard from the doc about the legionella pee test, so I'm good so far. My six week headache is gone, though I'm still tired and have some sinus stuff. I'm eating leeks and oranges. My main problem now is bathing and coldness and the feeling of needing something 'nice'... you know, a reward of some kind for existing and making it to 4pm. Since I haven't been drinking alcohol, it's either sugar or warm showers. And I ought not be having so much sugar.

😐

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

My main problem now is bathing and coldness and the feeling of needing something 'nice'... you know, a reward of some kind for existing and making it to 4pm. Since I haven't been drinking alcohol, it's either sugar or warm showers. And I ought not be having so much sugar.

Can I recommend getting addicted to a new TV show? There are a wide variety of Star Treks that could be available to you at 4pm, along with a nice hot mug of tea.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Can I recommend getting addicted to a new TV show? There are a wide variety of Star Treks that could be available to you at 4pm, along with a nice hot mug of tea.

It's strange, but I don't actually like tv and films. I feel very agitated having to just sit passively. At best, I like it as the backdrop to knitting.

9 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I'm happy to see you, Harriet! Here to cheer you on, of course!

Yay! Thanks for being her Sovalis!

40 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Happy NY Harriet, I am glad i know you ❤️ xx

Thank you, my dear possum Sal ❤️ Happy new year! I wish you glorious flourishing.

• Like 2

Sunday 01

I did DBs, art, walk, fasting, and no scroll.

I didn't get dressed properly but just did the fallback level of brushing and rebraiding my hair because I am very tired today. We had 2.5 drinks last night and that, apparently, was enough to worsen my sleep and make me feel rubbish today. I haven't really announced it but I haven't been drinking much over the last couple of months--just on a couple of occasions. I think I'd like to continue, just saving alcohol for special occasions (like once a month or less) and limiting the amount to two drinks max. The more I learn about it the more I think it's a poison that clearly and directly worsens my sleep, anxiety, motivation, fatigue, and even my sinuses.

We went to the cinema for new years and watched the menu. Slightly traumatising but also weirdly hilarious at times. Not sure if I recommend or not--probably depends how sensitive to violence you are. On the other hand we also watched Glass Onion the other day and it was good. Funny and mysterious.

Here's a sort of style study from this morning, compressed because size. Plus two paintings from the last few days. I'm trying different things so my paintings are not going to be consistent for a long while, I guess.

Spoiler

1128521719_01012023printedmountainroadlowquality.thumb.jpg.05478332d6acff7693c776d165b915a5.jpg

1157908555_301222housesonwaterprint.thumb.png.80e7f47cd8c09b49ad3a8c31c12b04cb.png

1355722062_311222whitezebras.thumb.png.a69cab49c463ce7727236643bbb91a5b.png

• Like 9

On 1/1/2023 at 3:15 PM, Salinger said:

Bloody hell Harriet, they are incredible, love them so much!!!!

❤️ xx

Thank you, Sal!

19 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

They are good. I'm especially taken with the mountains.

Thank you! The mountains are my favourite.

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Agreed, they remind me of some of the cover art of certain versions of The Hobbit.

If only there had been a paved road to the lonely mountain.

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

They're lovely! good start to the new year :)

Thank you!

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Your shower situation has me slightly worried.. really hope it gets improved soon. 

Me too :(

13 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Ooh, that first one looks like a linocut and I *love* it. Great work! 

Thank you! Yeah I'm doing style studies of prints. I painted some black and then erased it to get the look.

13 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Glass Onion was so fun. We watched it recently ourselves. 

It was indeed. :)

• Like 2