I am currently reading Anam Cara by John O'Donohue, as well as Consolations by David Whyte as a sort of morning devotional, along with a collection of Mary Oliver's poetry. I think as a personal reading challenge I am going to intentionally read "difficult" books this year, book that challenge me intellectually, spiritually, personally, and even habitually. I will be looking into Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge for 2023 but also some books that I already recognize as intellectually challenging.

Some potential titles to read:

• The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
  • An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iaian Pears
  • The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
  • The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
  • Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender
  • Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
  • Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire
  • The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

I'm sure the list will grow, but I think that's enough for now.

EDIT: Added The Brothers Karamazov, which I just started reading after more than a handful of recommendations.

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Does anyone use a (bullet) journal to keep track of what they're reading or what they want to read or recommendations? If yes, would you be willing to share how? 

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Does anyone use a (bullet) journal to keep track of what they're reading or what they want to read or recommendations? If yes, would you be willing to share how? 

I use my library's Wish List and History to keep tabs on what books interest me and what books I read.

I finished the Winternight trilogy yesterday, and now I want to buy it, but that will probably be in store rather than online so I can decide if I need hardcover or paperback.

• Thanks 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

I track all my reading on Goodreads, because I find it easier to keep everything organized digitally and I like being able to search by title r author or pull up a certain year. 

My sister, though, is a big fan of Anne Bogel and has her book journal, which doesn't look like it should be difficult to make your own, for those of you who have the knack of making nice bullet journals. Here's the link to it on Amazon:

My Reading Life: A Book Journal: Bogel, Anne: 9780736983020: Amazon.com: Books

• Like 3

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

How is the 2023 reading going for everyone? I finished Thistlefoot, which is a Baba Yaga story I got for Christmas. It was good, but heavier than I expected, so I read Runaway Groomsman which is a cute rom-com for a palate cleanser. Then I meant to start Naomi Novik's The Last Graduate, which I also got for Christmas, but somehow I ended up reading Spinning Silver for about the twenty seventh time (actually, I know exactly how that happened, and it's all @MaeradCase's fault.) After I finish it, I really need to read Then She Was Gone which is my office book club's pick for the month.

• Wow 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

4 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I track all my reading on Goodreads

I use Goodreads, as well. @Artemis Prime, are we friends on GR? If not, we should be! 

4 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

How is the 2023 reading going for everyone?

I'm slowly working my way through Anam Cara. It is challenging mostly because so much of it sparks introspection and contemplation, and I literally cannot just read through it like I do some other books. I also started listening to Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

6 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

How is the 2023 reading going for everyone? I finished Thistlefoot, which is a Baba Yaga story I got for Christmas. It was good, but heavier than I expected

This was immediately added to my wish list the moment you said Baba Yaga. 😂

Then I meant to start Naomi Novik's The Last Graduate, which I also got for Christmas

I mean to read more of her books someday, including that series. :)

but somehow I ended up reading Spinning Silver for about the twenty seventh time (actually, I know exactly how that happened, and it's all @MaeradCase's fault.)

😂😂😂😂 I'm dead. Hundred percent, I know I'm to blame for this one. 😂😂😂😂 Thanks for the laugh. 😉

• Like 2

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

21 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

I use Goodreads, as well. @Artemis Prime, are we friends on GR? If not, we should be! 

I don't believe we are. What's your name on there?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

I mean to read more of her books someday, including that series. :)

I enjoyed Deadly Education but held off on book 2 once I learned it ended on a huge cliffhanger. Book  3 is out now, though, so it's full steam ahead! (Although I've heard whisperings of a book 4, even though I thought this was going to be a trilogy.)

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

On 1/19/2023 at 9:05 AM, Artemis Prime said:

I track all my reading on Goodreads

I also use Goodreads.

On 1/19/2023 at 9:10 AM, Artemis Prime said:

How is the 2023 reading going for everyone?

It's going alright. I think I need to throw in an audiobook or two. Having a tiny human has definitely taken more of my sit-down time, but I think having an audiobook in the background will be a good way to get back into reading while life is busier.

• Like 4

Sunrunner | LVL 0  *(0%)

“It was difficult to think about worshiping God when so many things were going wrong. Or maybe, she thought, this is the most important time to pray.”
Trisha White Priebe, The Glass Castle

Books in Progress: Just as I am (20%), An Echo in the Darkness (14%)

Inktober52 | 2024 Books completed: Unbroken

Spoiler

Roadmaps: 2024,2023 | Previous Challenges: 20,19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

I don't believe we are. What's your name on there?

Just click here and send me a friend invite. 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, WolfDreamer said:

Just click here and send me a friend invite. 

Done!

47 minutes ago, Asha Phoenix said:

Having a tiny human has definitely taken more of my sit-down time,

Ah yes, I hear tiny humans are notorious for affecting sit-down time.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Done!

Awesome! I'm comparing our books right now. We have a very similar diverse taste in books, it seems. I have to point out that some of the books I enjoyed more than you, I was listening to the audiobook versions. As an example, I listened to Ready Player One, which is narrated by Wil Wheaton, which added to the impact of the nostalgic 80s-90s pop culture references.

Glad to have you along as a friend!

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

As an example, I listened to Ready Player One, which is narrated by Wil Wheaton, which added to the impact of the nostalgic 80s-90s pop culture references

Interesting. That might be due to the narrator, but it could also just be me. My sister is 6 years older than me and liked Ready Player One a lot more. I think I was familiar enough with the 80's references to get them, but just a smidge too young for a lot of them to really resonate with my childhood nostalgia.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

I think I was familiar enough with the 80's references to get them, but just a smidge too young for a lot of them to really resonate with my childhood nostalgia

Are you saying I'm old? 

james-stewart-jimmy-stewart.gif

I'm kidding. 😆

• Haha 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

On 1/19/2023 at 3:05 PM, Artemis Prime said:

I track all my reading on Goodreads, because I find it easier to keep everything organized digitally and I like being able to search by title r author or pull up a certain year. 

My sister, though, is a big fan of Anne Bogel and has her book journal, which doesn't look like it should be difficult to make your own, for those of you who have the knack of making nice bullet journals. Here's the link to it on Amazon:

My Reading Life: A Book Journal: Bogel, Anne: 9780736983020: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks, that was useful!

though I think I’ll check out this goodreads thing too.

• Like 2

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

45 minutes ago, WolfDreamer said:

Are you saying I'm old? 

Of course not! This is entirely due to my lack of life experience and my inability to appreciate the finer things in life like...erm...parachute pants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

though I think I’ll check out this goodreads thing too

Awesome. Send me a friend invite!

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Hi, I'm new. In general and amongst you all. 

Currently nearly finished with my nightly bedtime read: Six of Crows. I have the second book sitting next me at my desk reminding me to read every night as part of my better sleep pre-bed routine. 

I have no real goals this year other than at some point I'd love to buy this journal I have saved that's specifically for books, to journal about them, list them, rate them, etc. Only thing I determined for myself is that I must have a tangible copy (not audiobook or ebook) to read before bed so I can get off electronics ~1 hour or more before lights out. I'm almost a month into reading before bed and almost this one book down. Maybe that's 12 books this year? I'll probably read more, though. 

I do have several new releases as parts of series that are coming out this year as well as a few standalones that are set in the same world as a series I adore. 

Also, it may be old news, but I absolute love the Thrift Books site for getting a good chunk of my books (not new releases) for a bit cheaper. Plus, who doesn't love giving used books a good home? I'm on Likewise and Goodreads as well! (both recent so still learning them)

• Like 4

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

1 hour ago, Darciana said:

Six of Crows

An excellent choice.  And I think Rule of Wolves is in the running for most satisfactory conclusion to a series I've ever read.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

An excellent choice.  And I think Rule of Wolves is in the running for most satisfactory conclusion to a series I've ever read.

I will have to check that out. Six of Crows has been on my TBR list for a looooooooong while but I was always too cheap to buy it when I wanted all these fancy new releases. Then ThriftBooks came into my life and had I had zero excuse. Excellent book thus far. 

I do enjoy Leigh's writing style and I know she has Shadow & Bone which I also have on my TBR (without realizing its the same author until recently). 

• Like 1

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

2 hours ago, Darciana said:

I do enjoy Leigh's writing style and I know she has Shadow & Bone which I also have on my TBR (without realizing its the same author until recently). 

I enjoyed Shadow & Bone, but at some point that series kind of lost me. I finished it, but I don't remember a lot of it clearly. I liked Six of Crows much more. There's a bit of overlap in characters, but the two are mostly separate stories that take place in the same world. But then King of Scars starts to tie it all together and Rule of Wolves did an excellent job of resolving things. It was a good enough book that I was sad when Bardugo announced that she was taking a break from the Grisha-verse for the foreseeable future, although I much prefer authors to move on to other projects rather than continue to churn out books that have lost their heart. I thought things were left tidy enough that if she never writes another book in that world, there aren't burning lingering questions, but there are definitely directions to go in if she does decide to return to it down the road.

• Like 3

Well met, fellow readers!

I picked up Our Missing Hearts by Celeste Ng on Saturday spent a rainy weekend reading and loving it. 

Five stars, really.

• Like 2

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

I created a section called "reading resources" at the end of the opening post for this thread, and added Thrift Books. I also added Bookshop.org because they support local bookstores and i like them.

If I see other good reading resources posted I will add them to the list and make sure it is transferred over to the 2024 thread, when that day comes. :) 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

8 hours ago, Heidi said:

picked up Our Missing Hearts by Celeste Ng on Saturday spent a rainy weekend reading and loving it. 

Five stars, really.

I've never read her (I really thought I had, but when I checked my Goodreads I didn't have anything, so if I did I didn't log it) but I have heard good things about Everything I Never Told You.

• Like 1