Cry Havoc #45: Into the Fires of Battle once more, unto the Anvil of War!

On 2/9/2023 at 5:09 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Legs on day 1 doesn’t sound like the worst idea ever though… 🤔

I switched it up this week. I did an upper body day to start the week and moved legs to Wednesday. I WILL NOT SKIP THIS.

On 2/9/2023 at 5:09 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

For me, it’s double underhand barbell rows. My wife even knows that’s my favorite exercise ever haha

roman-reigns-weightlifting.gif

I need to do underhand more often. I rarely do... but I know I could pull more weight if I did. I'll try these next time I do barbell rows :) 

16 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

So, by the end of tomorrow, we should hopefully have in-house laundry for the first time in 7.5 months :D 

This is huge! Congratz on this victory, my friend.

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This is wisdom. Points to Spezzy for pointing this out, and frankly to both of you for good communication. Days off are important. If you're gonna be a paladin you gotta learn to Honor the Sabbath.

Sunday just feels like the right day to rest.  Plus a sunny Sunday is doubly Sunday!  ;) 

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, Aziriel said:

Communication leads to wisdom, as it often does! Very good to have some time to relax and recharge... even a paladin needs to regain mana to continue his quest. (I play WoW tbh I don't know DND much so... mana?)

Really liked your starting post too, lots of passion to achieve your goals, and lots of insight.

And we aren't the best communicators at the best of times, us both having spent 20+ years of adulthood more or less on our own rather than learning how to live with another.  But we're learning!  Even if it's slowly haha.

I'm a 'lifelong' (since 2005 anyway) WoW player too so that's my better understanding of character classes.  Never played DnD or a lot of things but oftentimes learn the lore behind those characters because I have a knack for characterization and stuff.  But especially I am all too aware (if not cognizant of, in the moment) of the need to recharge whatever resource system we power our day-to-day with. 😫

Welcome again to the Forums, Aziriel.  Thanks for swinging by :) 

38 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

I switched it up this week. I did an upper body day to start the week and moved legs to Wednesday. I WILL NOT SKIP THIS.

I need to do underhand more often. I rarely do... but I know I could pull more weight if I did. I'll try these next time I do barbell rows :) 

This is huge! Congratz on this victory, my friend.

I find Wednesday to be a great day because it isn't a struggle at the beginning of the week nor too close to the end of the week that you can just skip it!

Barbell rows are #CrusaderMode

HopefulBleakGuillemot-max-1mb.gif

I'm off to Home Depot to swap out our power cord (apparently laundry units no longer come with those installed) because we received the wrong one for our ancient ancestral wiring (which actually makes my job way way easier since residential electrical code keeps updating lol), but after that it's just a matter of wiring it in!  And we'll have the grey water system function by end of day too.  Big steps!

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

11 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

having spent 20+ years of adulthood more or less on our own rather than learning how to live with another.

This is something I am realizing I will have the hugest struggle with.  Well, I've not been 100% on my own - I rent a room at my sister's house.  But when I get out, and if I have someone else around, I feel like it's gonna be My way or the Highway.  LOL  You'll have to pass along some helpful tips!

• Like 2

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

Well I got about 90% of the laundry plumbed and wired yesterday, have our grey water system going (infinite shower times!), and even managed to rig a workout for a lightswitch to the otherwise disconnected cellar lights, buuuuuut...

I had some weird migraine thing worse than a usual headache where I basically spaced out right through dinner, and I've still been recovering from that.  No fun!

Anyway, that's my update for today.  Hopefully back at it tomorrow!

On 2/13/2023 at 9:54 AM, starpuck said:

This is something I am realizing I will have the hugest struggle with.  Well, I've not been 100% on my own - I rent a room at my sister's house.  But when I get out, and if I have someone else around, I feel like it's gonna be My way or the Highway.  LOL  You'll have to pass along some helpful tips!

You're probably better off asking Spezzy, but honestly... having a rough schedule for things has been huge so everyone knows when meals or workouts are, and enables you to plan your day around someone else so much more effectively!

Oh, and regular check-ins haha

• Like 4

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Inv_trinket-knights_crest.webp  [Fires of Battle Quest Log]  

Challenge Journal:  This 16th day of February, in the year 2023.

Weight:  230.1lbs  

The scale creeps ever downward.  As it was calibrating this morning, I oh-so-briefly saw 228 which was thrilling but it settled on 230.1 which I'm absolutely content with for now.

Worst of the migraine situation has seemed to have passed.

The new Diablo 3 online season starts after this weekend, so I think I'm gonna level a Crusader to sate my Holy Knight cravings.  Warcraft hasn't been doing it lately, Elden Ring takes so much focus for a session because it's so damn hard.  But I'm excited about Diablo and had forgotten just how much I love that world and its themes.  Angels vs Demons, High Heavens vs Burning Hells, and we poor humans (or our superpowered Nephalem ancestors) thrown into the middle of it all on Sanctuary. Grimdark and ominous, only pyrrhic victories... but fighting them anyway.

So I finished the laundry installation yesterday, even so much as troubleshooting why our dryer wasn't heating (the previous owners didn't wire their second hot wire into the panel).  Super thankful for the insights my electrician apprenticeship granted.  In other news, our second anniversary is next week and Spezzy has the whole damn week off, so we're going to do a mini-vacay and do some house stuff... like building a chicken coop for when our newest farm animals arrive in a month or two!

Exhausted and sore, but glad to be alive today.  Fire & Iron, even when it feels more like Embers & Rust 😅

And that's how it feels coming out of a migraine-induced setback.

To slay the Prime Evils:
  • Suffer not the profane to exist, [TEMPLAR'S VERDICT]:  Bleed_dd2.jpg☐☐☐☐.☐☐☐  Only 1 row in, zero rucks so far due to recovering from migraine.  Still 3 days left after today though... 🤔
  • Uphold the glory of the Sacred Flame, [FLAME, GRANT ME STRENGTH!]:  Burn_dd2.jpg☐☐☐☐  Push 1 conquered with a vengeance.
  • Abhor chaos.  Destroy indolence, [LITANY OF THE IRON VIGIL]Debuff_dd2.jpgDebuff_dd2.jpg☐☐.Debuff_dd2.jpg   Here's my first update but second round of catching up in lieu of an update, and weighed in.
  • No commitment shall be left unfilled, no matter the odds, [FIRE WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT]:  Icon_HP_dd2.jpgIcon_HP_dd2.jpgIcon_HP_dd2.jpg☐☐☐☐  Nutrition has historically been my weakness but I'm really crushing it lately honestly.

On 2/14/2023 at 5:17 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Migraines no good. I hope you are fully recovered soon.

Twas a bit scarier than a simple migraine, but other than residual soreness and headache aftershocks, 3 days later I'm feeling mostly human again!

h9keofamrahtjrtqzf12.gif?quality=80&resi

• Like 6

Happy anniversary! Time really does fly

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

AAAA HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

Celebrate GIFs - The Best GIF Collections Are On GIFSEC

AND HAPPY WEEK OFF!!! I hope you both get to RELAX and hopefully the weather is good and not nuclear winter again so you can get some fresh air and RELAX and did I mention, also relax??  Well besides building an Amazing Chicken Hotel of course....

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Wow, Happy anniversary. I can't believe it's been two years.

18 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Happy anniversary!

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Happy anniversary and enjoy your vacation week!

17 hours ago, RES said:

Happy anniversary! Time really does fly

Anyone who is married can attest to the fact that you can simultaneously feel each and every day, and see it fly by at the exact same time 🤣

But she tolerates my weirdness, so I wouldn't change a thing.

1 hour ago, shaar said:

AAAA HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

AND HAPPY WEEK OFF!!! I hope you both get to RELAX and hopefully the weather is good and not nuclear winter again so you can get some fresh air and RELAX and did I mention, also relax??  Well besides building an Amazing Chicken Hotel of course....

I've instituted mandatory relaxation time for Spezzy since she might actually be worse at it than I am.  Also we're super excited to make a pilgrimage to the IKEA 1.5hrs away next week ;) that's MY idea of a vacation trip haha

Looks like next week is back down around freezing but no more nuclear winter blizzards would suit me just fine!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Anyone who is married can attest to the fact that you can simultaneously feel each and every day, and see it fly by at the exact same time 🤣

But she tolerates my weirdness, so I wouldn't change a thing

8 years this year (together for 12) and I feel this in my soul...and mine tolerates my weirdness and supports my insane ideas, I would change nothing*! *for the most part

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

22 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

But she tolerates my weirdness, so I wouldn't change a thing.

And after 20 years (this summer), I can attest this statement is still true. 💯 

A toast to the interminable and the ephemeral, to the ones who know us at our best and worst and are here for it all.

• Like 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

FUCK YEAH IKEA!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure to have some meatballs!!!!!

Meatballs GIF - Swedish Food - Discover & Share GIFs

It's a tragedy Ikea is so far away up here...........

• Like 1

IKEA is like a theme park, without an entrance fee, and just all the souvenir stands.  Have fun and congrats on the anniversary! :D

• Like 2

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

On 2/16/2023 at 12:23 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

The new Diablo 3 online season starts after this weekend, so I think I'm gonna level a Crusader to sate my Holy Knight cravings.  Warcraft hasn't been doing it lately, Elden Ring takes so much focus for a session because it's so damn hard.  But I'm excited about Diablo and had forgotten just how much I love that world and its themes.  Angels vs Demons, High Heavens vs Burning Hells, and we poor humans (or our superpowered Nephalem ancestors) thrown into the middle of it all on Sanctuary. Grimdark and ominous, only pyrrhic victories... but fighting them anyway.

Bro, SO STOKED FOR DIABLO 4! I'm super bummed that they won't have a pally or crusader to start with...which doesn't make a lot of sense IMO, but otherwise, I'm excited. If you pre-order the game you get early access/beta coming up at the end of March and a couple days early access when the game launches in June. 

Heather and I have been playing couch co-op with D3 recently and she's rocking the Crusader. I went with Necro to balance out the team a little more and we absolutely wreck shit lol. I 100% feel your Diablo vibes lol.

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Spoiler

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Lazy update:  It's been a week.  Between holiday shenanigans and house planning and anniversary stuff, I basically took the week off all my usual responsibilities - minus meal tracking, which I've kept up with, becaaaaaaause... my migraines have come back with a vengeance.  Ever since my little whatever-happened-last-week it's been a world war in my skull and I haven't been up for much.  Trying to push through really didn't help, eating doughnuts didn't help (nor did it seem to hurt, mind you ;)), so I've just been trying to endure minute by minute to get through the week.

The plan is to take this week a little easier despite my projects on the go and focus on resting and mending.  Still alive, still keepin' on... just not having much fun.  Looking forward to getting any kind of activity in this week above and beyond morning walks but I'm pleased to say I haven't let everything come undone.  Might not be feeling very Crusader-like but I've committed more egregious sins during injury or illness in the past so that's a win.

In other, more exciting news, WE GOT CHIMKINS.  It was always the plan, figured we'd start with 6 or so to make sure we enjoy the lifestyle of farming our own eggs, so we picked up 6 layers from the next tractor supply a town over.

Then two days later, we drove an hour to get 10 more 🤣

So the house has been an amusing cacophony of confused dogs, confused cats, and cheep-cheeping.  Head over to Spezzy's challenge if you want to see pictures of our newborns! haha

All is well in the world, even when it isn't.  :D 

On 2/18/2023 at 9:11 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Glad the migraine is passed and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

On 2/19/2023 at 9:01 AM, shaar said:

FUCK YEAH IKEA!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure to have some meatballs!!!!!

It's a tragedy Ikea is so far away up here...........

It truly is a tragedy, and we decided to wait another week.  The big purchases we needed were a new couch (too many animals to share space with on this one) and dressers to start our closet organization, but with the dressers in stock, it didn't really feel prudent to make the trip with only half our aim in stock.

On 2/20/2023 at 10:02 AM, starpuck said:

IKEA is like a theme park, without an entrance fee, and just all the souvenir stands.  Have fun and congrats on the anniversary! :D

Thank you!  We found fancy doughnuts, in honor of our COVID wedding donuts in lieu of a cake, and went out to a really cool old mill restaurant (which I'm sure @shaar is aware of).  Food was decent, luckily one of their two beer on tap was better than serviceable, but the décor left a little to be desired haha (think 1992).

On 2/20/2023 at 10:21 AM, Wild Wolf said:

Bro, SO STOKED FOR DIABLO 4! I'm super bummed that they won't have a pally or crusader to start with...which doesn't make a lot of sense IMO, but otherwise, I'm excited. If you pre-order the game you get early access/beta coming up at the end of March and a couple days early access when the game launches in June. 

Unfortunately that simple fact is a deal breaker for me at this point.  I only want to play their holy warrior, and without one, will not be committing my ultra limited time and $90 to another potential Blizzard fiasco 🤣

I'll wait for a post-release xpac or DLC for my holy fix.  Until then, I have Diablo 3 and Immortal to keep me company ;) 

Also, on the new patch's test realm for Warcraft, they're overhauling the much-maligned Retribution (DPS spec) Paladin and making it look pretty spicy... I've been kinda turned off WoW for a while but that could be worth a dip back into the pool. 🔥

On 2/20/2023 at 10:21 AM, Wild Wolf said:

Heather and I have been playing couch co-op with D3 recently and she's rocking the Crusader. I went with Necro to balance out the team a little more and we absolutely wreck shit lol. I 100% feel your Diablo vibes lol.

The Crusader is by far my favorite gaming interpretation of the Paladin archetype, save maybe the perfect Paladin build on Elden Ring.

Necro is a close second though, oddly.  I'm gonna use one to powerlevel my Crusader this new Season.

On 2/20/2023 at 1:58 PM, Everstorm said:

And now I know what I am getting my husband for his birthday.   Thank you. 😊 

Glad to help however we can around here ;) 

• Like 6

Migraines are a cast iron bad word. I hope yours resolve soon. My doctor finally got me on a med that actually gets rid of them a few years ago amd it was a game changer.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

and went out to a really cool old mill restaurant (which I'm sure @shaar is aware of).  Food was decent, luckily one of their two beer on tap was better than serviceable, but the décor left a little to be desired haha (think 1992).

I love feeding the ducks there!!!! It’s very picturesque outside but yes the inside is uhhh. Rustic! Beer and food leave a little to be desired but I actually love their salads… 😂 There’s a little pub downstairs on the lowermost level that’s super cute and has nice water views, it’s nice to sit there and have a drink when it’s snowing. VERY cozyyyyy.  My husband and I used to live like a mile away from there heheheh

Yay chimkens but BOO migraines, I hope that clears up for you FAST. Super un-fun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

In other, more exciting news, WE GOT CHIMKINS.  It was always the plan, figured we'd start with 6 or so to make sure we enjoy the lifestyle of farming our own eggs, so we picked up 6 layers from the next tractor supply a town over.

Then two days later, we drove an hour to get 10 more 🤣

Incorrect, we got 8 the first day, and then got 10 more. 

This adds up to a total of SIX chickens, just like you said we could get.

Those migraines are really messing with your maths 😬 

• Like 7
Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

my migraines have come back with a vengeance.

Taking-the-pain-away GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Sorry to hear about this, dude :( 

Praying this week sheds the annoyance of these migraines.

Still alive, still keepin' on... just not having much fun. 

Glad you're grinding through right now, brother. Keep it up! Stay strong. Stay vigilant. 

we drove an hour to get 10 more 🤣

Heihei Moana GIFs | Gfycat

Fresh eggs for breakfast (or lunch or dinner) is 100% baller!

I only want to play their holy warrior, and without one, will not be committing my ultra limited time and $90 to another potential Blizzard fiasco 🤣

If it wasn't for the ability to build out a quality burst rogue build with the opportunity to skewer enemies with a bow...I wouldn't be AS excited. Also, the Druid looks cool AF.

Time to kick ass this week, Harrgath!

Warrior GIF - Warrior - Discover & Share GIFs

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Spoiler

Yay for berbs!    Wee baby berbs!

Sorry to hear about the migraine issues.   I'm with you -- my dumb body does NOT react badly to bad choices when I am hurting or ill.     Like, could you at least crave good for you things when we're trying to mend something?  But nope... all the junk foods is like 'we got you bruh'   So unfair.

Hope the head feels better soon.

And enjoy the berbs.

• Like 2

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler