Walk to Mordor and Back Again in 2023

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - Bilbo Baggins

hobbit-bilbo.gif

Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2023)

Whether you have been trekking to Mordor for years or just looking to get started, you are welcome to join us at anytime.

All miles/kilometers count. You decide how you want to accumulate distance. This is your adventure!

(Frodo's journey included canoeing, horseback, and eagle-back, so anything is fair game!)

SPREADSHEET

Open the spreadsheet, click on the 'Sign Up' tab at the bottom of the page, fill in all fields labeled in yellow, and begin tracking and logging your distance in the appropriate monthly tab.

Some links that might be helpful:

Nerd Fitness Post on Walking

Eowyn Challenge - an in-depth description of each stage of the trip.

P.S. Spezzy (who I stole this post from) also made a template of the spreadsheet for future years but also in case anyone wanted to copy and use on their own or for groups outside of the forums. You can find it here - just go to File --> Make a Copy

• Like 3

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

The link to the template is set to private, I think....

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Joining with you @TimovieMan

I'm needing to get out for 15 minutes a day minimally. I have two gym days that are difficult for me to move in, but just adding the steps to long journey might help my motivation!

I installed Pokemon Go to give me a reason to go to different points ( I have 3 gyms within a 15 min fast walk... ). 
I have a lot of snow ahead this week for the start of my journey to see what happens next!

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 12:19 AM, Loveable_Bouncer said:

Joining with you @TimovieMan

I'm needing to get out for 15 minutes a day minimally. I have two gym days that are difficult for me to move in, but just adding the steps to long journey might help my motivation!

I installed Pokemon Go to give me a reason to go to different points ( I have 3 gyms within a 15 min fast walk... ). 
I have a lot of snow ahead this week for the start of my journey to see what happens next!

Thanks for joining! The fellowship expands! 🙂

Pokemon Go is an excellent way to get more steps in. Just make sure to look up from the screen and check for traffic before crossing streets... 😇

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

Welcome!

Time to leave Hobbiton then. 🙂

1e559f70-196f-4765-9f9f-fa09e5784d5c_tex

• Like 1

hobbits.gif

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Brenia said:

My dog and I are willing! It will probably take us quite a bit longer than Frodo though! 😅

Welcome!

Frodo did this in around six months. We don't adhere to such a strict timeline. 😇

giphy.gif

I would like to join in this lovely Fellowship! I've been halfway doing this on my own Mordor and Back tracker, but these sorts of things are always better with friends! Plus, my dogs appreciate anything that motivates me to take them out for walks.

What I've done: take walks, typically with pups. Usually tracked on my Fitbit (if it auto-tracks, it doesn't track distance so I try hard to manually start and stop every walk. There are 3-4 walks that I cannot count already this year due to it being auto tracked and I'm unsure of distance). Every now and again, remember there's a tracker and batch input a bunch of data from Fitbit into tracker. 

What I'll do: *see above because I'm not likely to change in that regards except add in a second tracker (this one) to my own personal one

• Like 1

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

7 hours ago, Darciana said:

What I've done: take walks, typically with pups. Usually tracked on my Fitbit (if it auto-tracks, it doesn't track distance so I try hard to manually start and stop every walk. There are 3-4 walks that I cannot count already this year due to it being auto tracked and I'm unsure of distance). Every now and again, remember there's a tracker and batch input a bunch of data from Fitbit into tracker. 

I use a Fitbit myself. Given my length, it estimated my stride distance to be 76 cm.

I measured this myself multiple times by walking a 100m track at the local sports field. Turns out I got 131.5 steps each time, which is exactly 76 cm per step.

So now I just look at every auto-tracked walk, check the number of steps and multiply by 0.76 to get the distance.

It may not be perfect each time, but it's good enough.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

13 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

I use a Fitbit myself. Given my length, it estimated my stride distance to be 76 cm.

I measured this myself multiple times by walking a 100m track at the local sports field. Turns out I got 131.5 steps each time, which is exactly 76 cm per step.

So now I just look at every auto-tracked walk, check the number of steps and multiply by 0.76 to get the distance.

It may not be perfect each time, but it's good enough.

I need to get my stride length. I had it estimated back in the Army but Ive broken my back and had to relearn how to walk since then so I'm sure it's changed. Will see if they open the school's tracks this summer so I can do that.

I also noticed either Fitbit or Strava is inaccurate on distance. I don't always remember to turn on Strava to record a walk/run and I just resumed using it when I began 5k training so I'm sticking with Fitbit distances, but also something that's driving my little brain insane.

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

1 hour ago, Darciana said:

I also noticed either Fitbit or Strava is inaccurate on distance. I don't always remember to turn on Strava to record a walk/run and I just resumed using it when I began 5k training so I'm sticking with Fitbit distances, but also something that's driving my little brain insane.

Don't let "perfect" become the enemy of "good enough"... 😇

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

Don't let "perfect" become the enemy of "good enough"... 😇

Oh I'm not.... It's more an annoyance because I don't know which is more accurate. And that is only because I'm trying for a 5k in June and I want to be sure I'm training up to the correct distance and not cutting myself short so I'm all messed up on race day. Since Fitbit shows a shorter distance than Strava, I'll likely train to Fitbit's distances. Doesn't hurt to prepare myself for more than a 5k so long as I get up to the 5k and can say I did it without walking!

This week, I arrived at Bree, met with Strider, and avoided some Ringwraiths.

8CNJ.gif

Now on my way to Weathertop! 😎

• Like 5

I've spent the last 8 days limping around after rolling my "floppy ankle" again. I did it on an evening walk with the pups last Monday and I'm only just now feeling okay enough to ease back into my couch to 5k training tomorrow morning and evening pup walks. Hopefully the rest of April will be relatively boring and not so routine-disrupting...

• Like 1

Joining in on this - hoping to have some fun.

Though, I'm already debating with myself on whether I'll use my daily steps/distance (as tracked by Fantasy hike) or whether I should record only walks/runs specifically done for the sake of exercise 🤔

Figuring out swimming distance will be fun - I'm still learning on how to properly swim laps which means that my watch can't accurately track that yet. 

For now, just to get started and then stay consistent in what I do and don't count.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, ParylPanda said:

Joining in on this - hoping to have some fun.

Though, I'm already debating with myself on whether I'll use my daily steps/distance (as tracked by Fantasy hike) or whether I should record only walks/runs specifically done for the sake of exercise 🤔

Figuring out swimming distance will be fun - I'm still learning on how to properly swim laps which means that my watch can't accurately track that yet. 

For now, just to get started and then stay consistent in what I do and don't count.

Welcome!

I joined the walk to Mordor two years ago as well, and I initially did all daily steps (as tracked by my Fitbit), but quickly changed that to just all registered walks - which is what I'm doing now too.

Every walk that takes more than 10 minutes gets tracked as an actual walk by my Fitbit, and since most of those are deliberate, they count.

I counted laps in the beginning too, to make sure the distances were accurate. They turned out to be *very* accurate, so now I just rely on my watch. Hopefully you can do the same!

• Like 2

Milestone report!

I have reached Weathertop, the hobbits have been attacked by Ringwraiths, Frodo has been stabbed by a Morgul blade, and Aragorn chased the Ringwraiths away.

DenseBlushingKitten.webp

84ecb32cc9fb1d088ae85a2c136817002cfc1e1c

Now on the final stretch to Rivendell! 😎

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Milestone report!

I have reached Weathertop, the hobbits have been attacked by Ringwraiths, Frodo has been stabbed by a Morgul blade, and Aragorn chased the Ringwraiths away.

DenseBlushingKitten.webp

84ecb32cc9fb1d088ae85a2c136817002cfc1e1c

Now on the final stretch to Rivendell! 😎

Woohoo! This is so awesome!

Rivendell, for the win!

the lord of the rings sam GIF

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

I have no idea how far I've gotten since I thought about joining in January (not far --it's been a very slow year).

Are you still accepting Fellowship members? :) 

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

32 minutes ago, Heidi said:

I have no idea how far I've gotten since I thought about joining in January (not far --it's been a very slow year).

Are you still accepting Fellowship members? :) 

Of course! Just sign up on the spreadsheet and start logging. 😊

• Like 1