Ye Olde Challengers' Tavern: General Chat & Merrymaking

Welcome, again, one and all! 

Come right in and make yourselves at home.  You'll see we've provided you with some appropriate ambience for your stay beneath our humble roof...

I hope everyone enjoyed their second challenge of 2023!  Once again, we saw plenty of successes, some trials & tribulations, and perhaps a hiccup or two (or three weeks of them, in my case ;))... but we're right back into the thick of it for challenge #3 now!  Whether you conquered that mountain right in front of you (or slew that dragon), whether your quest log is crammed full of side quests (or if you're a minimalist tackling just one story quest at a time), and whether your inventory is chalk full and bursting at the seams with loot, we're glad to have you here and along for another adventure with us!

Tavern security will see to hanging your cloak at the front door, stowing your arms and armor if needed, and keeping your beloved adventuring gear under lock and key.  Should you require the services of the Rebellion blacksmith, they're just a lap around the tavern for all your repair and upgrade needs.  And if you have a soft spot for any health, mana, or combat potions like I do, our friend the travelling alchemist set up their stall outside too.

If you need it, there's a scroll with the challenge dates for 2023 scrawled upon it nailed to the Messaging Post out front; make sure to check them out, and don't forget to invite your adventure parties along! 

See you out there B) 

• Like 10
  • That's Metal 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Jameson-Ginger-Ale-4.jpg

I need a few of these....

• Like 4

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

shaar hustles into the tavern and up to the bar for her afternoon drink of choice; decaf coffee, because she is clearly a WHOLE LOTTA FUN lately

So-boring GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

( heheh i love coffee but any caffeine in the afternoon will either keep me up at night or upset my stomach wheee getting old is awesome!!!! 😅)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

TimovieMan walks in, takes his earbuds out and turns his music off. "Barkeep!", he shouts, "an extra large cup of the strongest coffee you have, and give everyone else here their pick of Belgian beer. On me."

He then goes to a table with a good view of the room, curiously glancing at the others just to see which beer they pick.

large cup of coffee

• Like 6

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

“Sepherina strolls in, taking time to stop at security and remove her bulky armor. Hearing TimovieMan offer a round of Belgian beers, she pipes up and says “Make mine a tripel.  Thanks TimovieMan.”  She settles in at one of the tables in the back and proceeds to get lost in her thoughts.”

beer GIF

Happy Spring Eve everyone!  Wishing many successes to all in your adventures.

Spring April GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Like 5

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Roams Among the Trees

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

The half-elf at the bar gives a start at the newcomers bustling into the tavern, as though snapping out of a trance.

Pint of the black stuff, barkeep, he says automatically, before coming to his senses a little more. Actually, I'll have a trippel bock, if @TimovieMan's buying.

Looks like I checked out for a couple of weeks there. Guess it's time to start seeking my next challenge?

• Like 7

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

Any Belgian beer you say? I'll have a La Trappe Dubbel in that case.

• Like 3

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"If you know the way broadly, you will see it in all things." -Miyamoto Musashi

"Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people. And, see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And, and ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is, is we're here on Earth to fart around. And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore." -Kurt Vonnegut.

Hi, y'all.

Tea for me please, barkeep, dark and strong.

Sherlock Holmes Tea GIF

What have you guys been watching lately?
Anything amazing that I'm currently missing out on?

• Like 6

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

3 hours ago, Heidi said:

WW and I have spent a good chunk of time catching up on Lego Masters Australia - it's incredibly compelling somehow.

• Like 2

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

3 hours ago, Heidi said:

Not much of a "watcher" of anything myself, but I've been working my way through the audiobook of David McCullough's Truman if it counts for anything.

• Like 1

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"If you know the way broadly, you will see it in all things." -Miyamoto Musashi

"Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people. And, see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And, and ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is, is we're here on Earth to fart around. And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore." -Kurt Vonnegut.

16 hours ago, Heidi said:

Nothing recent, but the missus and I have watched a couple of excellent Netflix series these past months.

The Letdown - 2017-19 - Australian comedy series about the negative side of having a newborn. Hilarious - doubly so if you have kids yourself. (2 seasons - 12 episodes of 30 minutes)

The A Word - 2016-20 - British dramedy series about a family dealing with their autistic son. Christopher Eccleston (the 9th Doctor Who) is superb and funny as the grumpy granddad. (3 seasons - 18 episodes of 1 hour)

After Life - 2019-22 - British dramedy series about a man coping with the loss of his wife. Imho, the absolute best thing Ricky Gervais has ever done (and I'm a fan, so that's saying something). (3 seasons - 18 episodes of 30 minutes)

After Life in particular is one of the best series I've ever seen. If you ever doubted Gervais' acting ability, this will change your mind. He'll make you laugh and he'll make you cry. Superb series. Utterly brilliant final episode to each season as well!

And the best thing about British Brevity: 6 episodes per season, no more than 3 seasons. Perfect for binge-watching... 🙂

• Like 2

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

10 hours ago, Heidi said:

I just finished season four of My Hero Academia. Every episode I've seen of this show feels perfect for the Nerd Fitness mentality of putting in the effort to meet your goals - in Izuku's case he needs to have a stronger body to be able to use the powerful quirk he wields so that it won't shatter his bones. And the rest of his classmates also are being trained to improve how they utilize their quirks so they can be more capable heroes. 😍

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

WolfDreamer enters the tavern, pausing to note the contrast of birdsong outside with soft chattering inside. His wolf companion enters close behind and gets comfortable by the door. WolfDreamer steps up to the bar, carefully noticing the other travelers of all types, druids, warriors, half-elves, trolls, little folk, fairies. He smiles at the barkeep.

"Pint of Oberon for me."

Oberon_WebPic_736X736.png

• Like 2

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

"What'll you have to drink?"

"Breakfast burrito"

"uhhh"

"Breakfast burrito"

The bartender backs away and makes for the kitchen. His return customer is grouchier than usual. Usually she settles after a nice beer and some stew. Her giant pack rustles and glows. She radiates hunger and grumpy-old-man vibes in spite of her form. Radiates aggressively. She removes her hood and he sees new gray in her haphazard hair and new hollows in her checks. He hopes there's still eggs and sausage in the skillet in the back.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Previous Challenge: DaemonCorax starts 8 weeks of stronglifts

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)
When in doubt, pick up heavy things.

On 3/21/2023 at 12:58 PM, DaemonCorax said:

"What'll you have to drink?"

"Breakfast burrito"

"uhhh"

"Breakfast burrito"

The bartender backs away and makes for the kitchen. His return customer is grouchier than usual. Usually she settles after a nice beer and some stew. Her giant pack rustles and glows. She radiates hunger and grumpy-old-man vibes in spite of her form. Radiates aggressively. She removes her hood and he sees new gray in her haphazard hair and new hollows in her checks. He hopes there's still eggs and sausage in the skillet in the back.

Wolfen peers at the customer who just entered and notices her grumpy demeanor. He chuckles at her request for a breakfast burrito and grins at her, holding up his pint glass in greeting.

"A wise man once said, 'There has never been a sadness that can't be cured by breakfast food.," Wolfdreamer says.

• Like 5

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Ranger Hal leaves her oversized pack (complete with snowshoes strapped to the outside) with tavern security after removing a book about mountain travels. She collects a hot cup of tea and wanders over to a table to begin planning her next adventure.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

Popping by on this prodigious start-of-challenge Monday to once again share the newest iteration of our Weightloss PvP for anyone interested:

We weigh-in every week for two whole challenge cycles and aim to accomplish our weightloss goals through shared accountability, data recording, and group support!  Hope to see some new faces :D 

• Like 5

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

23 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Popping by on this prodigious start-of-challenge Monday to once again share the newest iteration of our Weightloss PvP for anyone interested:

We weigh-in every week for two whole challenge cycles and aim to accomplish our weightloss goals through shared accountability, data recording, and group support!  Hope to see some new faces :D 

What about those who nosedived spectacularly, didn't hit any goal last time but really, really wants to make shifting the excess weight a priority? 🤞 

Oops... - Señor GIF - Pronounced GIF or JIF?

• Like 4

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Hmmm maybe a weight loss challenge will be a good thing, the less I weigh the faster I will be, since it's 6 weeks if I can lose 5lbs I will be happy

So I'm fka as Capt. Frost, I've decided to change my name and my character around a bit, to move into my new goals and the old happier me, as a kid I used to run miles of trails through an abandoned train yard , old cotton mill, the Erie Canal  and un-used cemetery land with my dog,  Now quite literally in my backyard is a bike path that used to be the rail line for a hydro-electric powered trolley and you can still see the remnants of old trolley stops along the way, I have dog that I am training to do Cannicross with and have access to countless miles of trails all within a half hour drive of my house.  So I am getting  back to my roots without trying to trip on them.

I have been completely sober since August of 22, so I will take a Sun-tea please

I just read Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut and just picked up Long Earth by Stephen  Baxter and Terry Pratchett ; also I am watching One Piece on episode 400(?) like Zoro who is training to be the best swordsman I am trying to compete in the Masters division of my local running scene. 

• Like 9