Darciana's Equinox Adventures

Ostara or Spring Equinox is here! This is when we plant the seeds for our intentions for the year to watch them germinate and grow. If we've planted the proper seeds, they will bloom into beautiful feelings and accomplishments! 

This challenge is focused on planting the seeds and carefully caring for them as they begin to grow and show signs of life. With some warmth/humidity, water, sunlight, and love, these seeds will begin to slowly grow from the darkness into the light. They are fragile so gentle care is necessary for them to grow big and strong. 

Habits to Continue: 

1. Journaling
  2. Workouts
    • Bodyweight 3x/week
    • C25K (Zero to 5K is real free app) 3x/week
  3. Nutrition
    • Log Food 
    • Listen to body cues (real hunger vs boredom/stress/emotional. Fullness signal by eating slow.)

Seeds to Plant: 

1. Self-love/self-confidence/self-pride: I am the only person I spend every second of every day of my entire life with. Rather than spending all this time with someone I don't truly love, appreciate, and care for, I should be spending it spoiling myself with so much love and pride. I should be lifting myself up, reminding myself of my worth, being proud of my accomplishments no matter how big or small or seemingly insignificant (because if I'm excited about it, it's not insignificant, contrary to others' beliefs).
  2. Self-Gratitude/Complimenting: Say one nice thing to myself every day. Just one. Look myself in the eyes using a mirror and say ONE. NICE. THING. And mean it. Truly. No matter how tiny it is, mean it. Treat myself as if I was a friend. I wouldn't 
  3. Self-Compassion/Forgiveness: I also need to be kind to myself. I'm human, I'm going to make mistakes, trip up, fall down, take a wrong turn, etc. Rather than get mad or frustrated, I need to have compassion. I need to remind myself that mistakes happen to everyone. I will take the time to figure out where I went wrong and why, determine a path forward to avoid that wrong turn again, and move on. No more beating myself up over silly things. Even apologizing to myself is good when all else fails! 
  • Like 5

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

Following for all the beauty that is to come!

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Roams Among the Trees

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Following. Happy Bluebonnet Season!

5 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Rooting for your literal and figurative seeds :D but not literally rooting. Cheering LOL! Rooting sounds very undermining. Okay.. Trying again

CHEERING for your literal and figurative seeds! Happy growing!! :D:D 

I mean, rooting is a pretty appropriate term when seeds are concerned...

• That's Metal 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

19 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Rooting for your literal and figurative seeds :D but not literally rooting. Cheering LOL! Rooting sounds very undermining. Okay.. Trying again

CHEERING for your literal and figurative seeds! Happy growing!! :D:D 

Rooting or cheering, I'll take it! As Tank said, rooting is pretty appropriate and not at all undermining when discussing seeds is concerned. Thank you!

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. Happy Bluebonnet Season!

I mean, rooting is a pretty appropriate term when seeds are concerned...

Bluebonnets!! They're already here in FBG area and SO. STINKING. BEAUTIFUL. And by "stinking" I mean they stink really pretty, too. 

• Like 1

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

Oh, I love your seed planting goals!  

• Thanks 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Very excellent goals. ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

I decided to reach out for some guidance. What I received were these 3 messages:

1. Don't play the victim - become your own rescuer. These limitations are self-imposed and only you can break through them and improve your confidence.

2. The mask you wear harms not just you, but those around you. Take off the mask and embrace your vulnerability. Better to do that than wear an insincere mask.

3. You have many halls and corridors within yourself. Go within, explore these lost paths. Many doors may yet be locked or unexplored - go see what potential is hidden within the darkest corners of yourself and bring those to the light. 

Is it just me or is there a theme here? Because I'm seeing a theme screamed loud and clear. Conveniently, it seems to also align with the goals I set for myself for this challenge. I hear ya, universe. I really do. 

Update on the Habits to Continue: 

Journaling: All complete! I was too lazy to get off my bum last night so I took notes in my phone and physically wrote them in this morning. It got done, though! 

Workout: I did cardio sprints today on the rowing machine. Yesterday was bodyweight and a tad bit of rowing though both were rudely interrupted by work (I got work calls at 630! I never get on before 7am so I'm not sure why they decided I'd be on. But the calls came through my phone which I was trying to use as a stopwatch and music and not exactly easy to work out around....) Rowing lasted only 5 minutes of the normal 15 minutes I aim for. I made up for it today with pushing a tad harder than I otherwise would've (while still not so hard that I won't be able to do bodyweight and run tomorrow). I also took Smoke for a walk over lunch since my morning was so hectic. Harley went on a run with with man while I was still dark out so it was only fair I kept to my promise of a walk, even if it was delayed. Today is gloomy rainy weather so the man biked rather than ran outside meaning neither pup has a walk unless it dries out by this afternoon and I can take them both. 

Nutrition: Not bad. I got a little snacky in the afternoon but I pre-logged before I actually ate anything and still had room for dinner. I stopped dinner when I was full and felt satisfied without the heaviness. Still managed a deficit so I'm content. Today is Taco Tuesday so I'm pre-logging a heavy dinner and adjusting from there. 

All in all, I'm ready for a dang nap. I'm so tired. Sleepy tired.

• Like 6

The universe is telling you something.  But based on your goals I think you were already on the right path.  

• Thanks 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

3 minutes ago, Shello said:

The universe is telling you something.  But based on your goals I think you were already on the right path.  

Thank you. It's nice to get confirmation and know it's not just my brain trying to fit a square into a circle here.

It's crazy. Usually I only feel pulled to reach out for this type of guidance when I feel lost. But I felt the need to despite feeling confident in my goals and decided maybe I'm wrong or I missed something? It doesn't hurt and I see why now. The messages were most certainly enlightening - they gave me a different perspective and reframed what I'm doing and why which will most certainly help me stick to them. 

• Like 2

New goals: 

Not quite there. I'm also bloated, tired, cranky/groggy, and just plain not feeling good. Between cold dreary weather, hormones, and my circadian rhythm disorder playing games (stupid time change finally caught up with me on top of the dreary sun-less days) I'm really barely making it by. I will say, I'm proud of myself for that, I just haven't looked in the mirror to say it to myself in that manner yet. Bathroom is way too far away for it. 

Journaling: I missed last night somehow. I honestly don't remember last night. I think I watched a movie with the man? Yep, one of those days. 

Workout: Rowing went fine. I died a little. Again with the sleepies and the bloaties I'm not performing as well (nor is it as easy) as before. Today is bodyweight and running. We shall see how this goes. I am particularly nervous about how the afternoon will go with all this early morning activity. I fought the nap-battle all the way to the bitter [bedtime] end yesterday and I can already feel that a nap-battle will be resuming today. 

Nutrition: I had snack attack. I tried walking but the snacks won anyway. I managed to get to at least maintenance with my evening walks but the sodium likely caused my uptick. Plus hormone bloat. Yay! 'Cause I needed more reasons to feel bleh, right? I didn't finish dinner, though, so the snacks at least didn't completely sabotage, they just ruined dinner. Meh. 

Hey, I guess if I end up losing the nap battle today, the snack monster can't attack. It's in the rules of engagement! Not a single clue in the world what is in store food-wise today. Honestly, I only care about sleep and my brain will not focus on anything else at the moment so it's a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants situation at this point. I will log, though, to keep accountable. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I always struggle with snacking more when I'm tired.  My body is trying to get energy from anywhere.  I hope you are able to catch up soon.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hope today is easier. The weather should be clearing up.

Despite it being cloudy, it is much brighter in my office from natural light and it is helping a bit. I also splurged a little on time to give myself a nice good shower vs the normal quick get-sweat-off-me rinse I do on work days. That helped wake me up and feel a little more alive, too. 

I did, though, improve this run by a whole minute despite all the other icky things! I haven't run since last Wednesday and it was the same workout (1.5min run/2 min walk x6) so apples to apples it was pure improvement. Rowing cross training for the win! Mood boosts help the whole situation, too. 

1 hour ago, Shello said:

I always struggle with snacking more when I'm tired.  My body is trying to get energy from anywhere.  I hope you are able to catch up soon.  

That is 1000000% how I feel. I know I shouldn't snack because it's not going to help, only sleep will, buuuut my body so desperately wants the energy it thinks food will give it. 

I told myself today I will have protein shake with water if I get the snack attack. Less calories than my normal morning one (which I have with oak milk) and it isn't quite as delicious so I'll have to be desperately "hungry" for it. Plus protein = full feeling

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darciana said:

I fought the nap-battle all the way to the bitter [bedtime] end yesterday and I can already feel that a nap-battle will be resuming today. 

Ug. Nap battles are the worst. I have labeled these types a “crash nap” (kinda like a carb crash). Sometime a small caffeine boost or protein shake helps. Other days you just let the nap win. 

• Thanks 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Just now, Sepherina said:

Ug. Nap battles are the worst. I have labeled these types a “crash nap” (kinda like a carb crash). Sometime a small caffeine boost or protein shake helps. Other days you just let the nap win. 

Oh yes, I agree. The fact that I was asleep the second my head hit the pillow last night attests to just how horrible that battle was. I'm lucky to be alive after such a gruesome and bloody experience! 

I told myself today a protein shake (with water -- oat milk is reserved for morning) is in the works if I get snacky due to sleepies and maybe it'll also give me a little power boost to hold off until bed. I'm pre-logging that protein shake so I also don't have to feel guilty on nutrition goals, either. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Darciana said:

Oh yes, I agree. The fact that I was asleep the second my head hit the pillow last night attests to just how horrible that battle was. I'm lucky to be alive after such a gruesome and bloody experience! 

I told myself today a protein shake (with water -- oat milk is reserved for morning) is in the works if I get snacky due to sleepies and maybe it'll also give me a little power boost to hold off until bed. I'm pre-logging that protein shake so I also don't have to feel guilty on nutrition goals, either. 

Sounds like a perfect plan of attack!

• Thanks 1

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Internet down. Whoohoo!

Not really. The man and I are both off tomorrow and both have big deal things going on for work today so we're probably going to be leaving the house to find internets elsewhere.

I didn't realize because I'm a good girl and I didn't scroll through my phone or pay much attention to it since I was too busy journaling. I'm trying to focus on no electronics before bed, no electronics first waking up (until I'm done journaling because the next thing I do is come here to update/post).

Self-love: I complimented myself on my cooking and my run improvement and my dedication.

Journal: all done! I didn't forget last night, either.

Workout: improved my run yesterday by 1 minute so I'm happy there. Bodyweight is tough having the added workout so I've dialed that back and still managing to feel strong (and sore!) Today is active rest. Currently pedaling the bike very lightly (and super low resistance) to get some movement and then, once it's light out, I'll take Smoke for a walk (the man has Harley out on one right now and he's whining)

Nutrition: if we have to leave the house for work temptation will be around. I must stick to my goals! All good yesterday, though. Pre-logged dinner and afternoon snack to ensure I'd meet goals.

EDIT

Internet came back on while I was out on my walk. We are still heading into town this afternoon for Thirsty Thursday as it's our friend's birthday so he really wants to continue our normal tradition. 

I'm eating leftovers for breakfast (because no breakfast food sounds good right now) and I've pre-planned and logged lunch at the bar&grill to ensure I stay within goals. Unless birthday boy wants to do a specific drink for his birthday, I'm not ordering alcohol. If he does, just ONE drink. No idea dinner, but I'll keep it mindful. 

• Like 4

Self-love: I told myself that I'm proud of myself for pawning off the last 2 pieces of pizza. See nutrition below for that story. Also told myself that my hair, despite being day 2 hair and having been brushed (and therefore fluffy) looks really good. 

Journaling: I did it. I don't remember doing the morning and very vaguely remember doing the afternoon, but I definitely remember doing the evening! Either way, all done. Will need to set a reminder to do it today which I'll do right now...... DONE! Seriously, I stopped typing, did it, and resumed. I'm awesome like that. Morning part is already done but I'll probably be in town away from it when my reminder goes off so good to have it just in case. Unsure dinner/evening plans or if we're doing separate stuff. 

Workout: I didn't track it, but I spent several minutes posting from my phone on here and the group I'm in on MFP while gently pedaling the stationary bike. Once it was light out, I took Smoke for just under a mile walk. Today was scheduled bodyweight and run but the man and I discussed changing plans. We were forecasted for some nasty storms this morning and we don't own a treadmill (not running in lightning) and we both wanted to try this trail I found in town with the pups. So tomorrow we'll wake up and go do the trail instead. For bodyweight, I'm still deciding if I should use today as a rest day and postpone bodyweight as well or if I should do bodyweight today in case I can't manage tomorrow. It's Saturday, though, I'm sure I can find time. It's 15-20 minutes. I can squeeze that. Even if I have to do it in movement snacks! Today is my day off so I'm running errands in town while the man goes and rides. He took the day off to enjoy his new bike. I have a few stops on the main street which I can park and walk to enjoy the nice weather and get some movement in. I may come home and work the garden, too. 

Nutrition: Due to last minute plans and updates, we ended up coming home at 645 with nothing for dinner planned so frozen pizza it was. I logged before eating, realizing I was within calories and, fortunately, it was my normal amount. Pawned off the last 2 pieces on the boys because I was under calorie goals by 21 and I would've been over (and probably beat myself up) if I had eaten it. Especially since my tummy was telling me we were satisfied and didn't need more food. Lunch was an avocado spring salad with grilled chicken. I had ONE shot of tequila (they did fireball but fireball makes me sick for some reason. Like instant puke) for our friend's birthday but kept to water otherwise, as promised. 

• Like 4

day 2 hair

Nice! Do you have curly hair?  How many days can you get out of it?

pawning off the last 2 pieces of pizza.

That's HUGE!  I find pizza a very difficult beast to pawn off.  The threshold for stopping isn't just being satisfied but how many more can I eat before I feel like dying.  Kudos! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shello said:

Nice! Do you have curly hair?  How many days can you get out of it?

That's HUGE!  I find pizza a very difficult beast to pawn off.  The threshold for stopping isn't just being satisfied but how many more can I eat before I feel like dying.  Kudos! 

Curly-ish? I have 2a borderline 2b type hair. If I really try and put in the effort, I get more 2b. It's also down to my butt which really weighs it down, though, so the curls don't last long at all (unless I put a lot of super strength hold and then my hair looks great but feels awful and I'd rather it feel good). I tossed a little diagram that has photos that best represent the range of 2a-2b mine covers. Today it's a 2a as I haven't refreshed it and it's been brushed out. 

Before I started working out and sweating a lot, I could go 3-4 days. It took a few months of having to wear it up or use dry shampoo on a very rare occasion to train it up to that. I used to be a shower every day, sometimes twice a day girl. Now a bird bath will suffice (I blame this 100% on the army) and my research about overwashing hair/skin can cause dryness and breakage. With my super long hair, it gets very dry and breakage is a big problem. Boar bristle brush is another I recently invested in to help distribute natural oils at my scalp down to my ends and I've noticed a slight difference. I definitely get a Hermione in the first movie look about me, but I tame that with leave in conditioner or curl cream. 

I do, sometimes, use a little silicone scalp scrubber and just do a water wash for my scalp and put conditioner in my ends. I did that yesterday so I could feel less icky going out but knowing I'd need a full shower after this morning's bodyweight and run. Today makes day 3 and with that water rinse, it doesn't look bad at all. If I wasn't going to work out here in a bit and get super sweaty, I could go without a wash today. 

As for pizza? Oh I'm guilty of it. I've always been a "I'm going to finish this, there's only 2 pieces!" but since I'm listening to my body I just put it on my plate, dropped it off at the table in front of the boys and walked away to wash dishes and clean the counters - completely distracting myself and telling myself they're gone because the boys took them. And when I came back to the table, they were, indeed, gone. If they weren't by the time I came back, I'd probably have eaten one or both. 

curltype.webp

• Like 4

Self-love: I felt confident and beautiful for a little bit yesterday so I allowed myself to savor it and enjoy it, rather than feeling guilty or tearing myself down. That is a HUGE win. The goal is to feel like that almost every day (obviously there are days it's okay to not feel that way. Like if I'm sick or something. Let's not make things impossible!)

Journaling: I missed last night. My reminder didn't go off, which was very weird. We got home late and all I wanted was to get in bed so I could wake up and work out this morning early enough. 

Workout: I walked a lot yesterday. Intentionally parked at the park and walked all the way down one side of main street, crossed the road, and walked all the way back up the other side, stopping as needed to complete errands. Then walked around the grocery store (I parked almost as far away as I could) and then all afternoon I was up and moving around here and there (not as much, though). The man decided, since we got home at 930 and didn't get to bed until 10, he wasn't waking up to go to the trail (booooooo) but I made a deal with myself so I'm up and about to knock out bodyweight. Deciding whether I want to try the trail alone or just run here in the neighborhood. He's got plans with the boys today to ride and I have to make baguettes for dinner tonight (friend smoking pork butt) so we aren't waiting on each other like we normally would anyway. As soon as I post this, before I'm sweaty, I'll make the dough so it can rise while I'm working out and showering. Then I can shape it and relax while it rises again (30 ish mins) and bake (30 ish mins). It'll take that long for my hair to dry before I go do anything anyway so it's perfect! 

Nutrition: So I definitely kind of "forgot" to eat. I didn't really forget, but I was busy and couldn't eat anything other than my splurge snack. Then I realized later that what I did have as that snack shouldn't have been considered a lunch and yet it was my lunch (plus some added grapes from last week's grocery haul as I bought more). With all the activity and movement through the day, I was nearly 1500 calories under goal! And that's me eating about 1500 calories already! 

Today is on me for breakfast/lunch but dinner is pork butt. Our other friends said something about bringing a couple things for sides (hence me making baguettes, I felt bad not bringing something and everybody always asks for my bread so I just offered it up). I'll probably have a protein shake for breakfast once I'm done working out and need a snack later in the morning. Lunch, I'm totally unsure of at this point. I'll be out and about so I might grab a salad or something. 

Alright it's already 730 and I have to make this dough before I can even work out. Oof! Good thing I have no big deadlines other than dinner. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Darciana said:

He's got plans with the boys today to ride and I have to make baguettes for dinner tonight (friend smoking pork butt) so we aren't waiting on each other like we normally would anyway. As soon as I post this, before I'm sweaty, I'll make the dough so it can rise while I'm working out and showering. Then I can shape it and relax while it rises again (30 ish mins) and bake (30 ish mins). It'll take that long for my hair to dry before I go do anything anyway so it's perfect! 

Yummy bread!

bread GIF by The Real Italia

• Like 1

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

8 hours ago, Darciana said:

Curly-ish? I have 2a borderline 2b type hair. If I really try and put in the effort, I get more 2b. It's also down to my butt which really weighs it down, though, so the curls don't last long at all (unless I put a lot of super strength hold and then my hair looks great but feels awful and I'd rather it feel good). I tossed a little diagram that has photos that best represent the range of 2a-2b mine covers. Today it's a 2a as I haven't refreshed it and it's been brushed out. 

Before I started working out and sweating a lot, I could go 3-4 days. It took a few months of having to wear it up or use dry shampoo on a very rare occasion to train it up to that. I used to be a shower every day, sometimes twice a day girl. Now a bird bath will suffice (I blame this 100% on the army) and my research about overwashing hair/skin can cause dryness and breakage. With my super long hair, it gets very dry and breakage is a big problem. Boar bristle brush is another I recently invested in to help distribute natural oils at my scalp down to my ends and I've noticed a slight difference. I definitely get a Hermione in the first movie look about me, but I tame that with leave in conditioner or curl cream. 

I do, sometimes, use a little silicone scalp scrubber and just do a water wash for my scalp and put conditioner in my ends. I did that yesterday so I could feel less icky going out but knowing I'd need a full shower after this morning's bodyweight and run. Today makes day 3 and with that water rinse, it doesn't look bad at all. If I wasn't going to work out here in a bit and get super sweaty, I could go without a wash today. 

As for pizza? Oh I'm guilty of it. I've always been a "I'm going to finish this, there's only 2 pieces!" but since I'm listening to my body I just put it on my plate, dropped it off at the table in front of the boys and walked away to wash dishes and clean the counters - completely distracting myself and telling myself they're gone because the boys took them. And when I came back to the table, they were, indeed, gone. If they weren't by the time I came back, I'd probably have eaten one or both. 

curltype.webp

I am so happy to meet someone else who thinks so much about what day your hair is on and have to think about what it needs each day!  I'm in the 3 range. 3c when I was young but now after babies and hormones I only have a few spots still a 3c, most is 3b and the grey is 3a.  This week I've set a record and I'm on day 7 hair. I refreshed once in the shower around day 3 but otherwise I've only sprayed water and used various products to get me through. 

I don't really understand the training. I don't yet feel like my hair is doing anything differently. I don't really have a handle  on the whole thing yet. I transitioned from daily washing like 4 years ago though and I just muddle through. It's huge to not have to wash everyday though and then have wet hair for half the day. 

• That's Metal 1