TimovieMan balances sleep and gaming

11 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

I'm generally not troubled to do small personal things during my working hours, if it only takes five or ten minutes or so. I have no issues dropping the kids off at school (it's only 300 meters away) while clocked in, for instance.

But it's still a little uncomfortable in this magnitude. Especially since I could do something right now if I only had access to one of the systems that's down (not even the main one). Or if the people that need their data would send their requests via mail.

You should stock up on sleep and game hours. Hoard them. That's how it works, right?

11 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

When I was 17 a classmate of mine passed away. He had to go to the hospital for something minor, fell into a coma, and died a couple of days later. They never found out what happened - speculation is that it was a healthcare-associated infection but we'll never know for sure. He'd been my classmate throughout primary school, and was a team mate at the table tennis club back then.

They played this next song at his funeral. It was the moment that broke me then... I still can't listen to it without thinking back to him.

Oh man, that's so rough.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

19 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

That house was an homage to the mansion in the adventure game Maniac Mansion.

catlady-maniacmansion.jpg

(I could no longer find the larger version of this)

Holy crap, I did not catch that! That is soooooooo cool! I LOVED Maniac Mansion when I was a kid! I played it on the commodore 64! ❤️ 

• Like 2

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 272 lbs

Current Challenge: Legend of RhiaWolfe: Tears of the Food Cravings

Previous Challenges: 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

13 hours ago, Salinger said:

Its a brilliant song Timo ❤️ 

Thanks for telling us about your classmate xx

That song has become synonymous with his death. There's no way I can pick that song without telling about him. Even if it's been 24 years...

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

You should stock up on sleep and game hours. Hoard them. That's how it works, right?

If only it did work that way. We've got daylight savings coming up on Saturday. And my son has an early football match on Sunday. I already know I'm going to miss that hour. 😴

4 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

Holy crap, I did not catch that! That is soooooooo cool! I LOVED Maniac Mansion when I was a kid! I played it on the commodore 64! ❤️ 

The rooms aren't just grimier, more adult versions in The Cat Lady, but the lay-out of the entire floor is identical to that in Maniac Mansion.

If you'd like, it could be interesting following along with the Community Playthrough we held back at AdventureGamers several years ago. About ten of us playing the game at the same time (with a time-frame for each chapter so we're all discussing the same parts). The game's designer Rem Michalski even showed up to give some of his own insights. Link.

Day 3 of not being able to work. Well, only a half day today. I have Wednesday afternoons off (until July - then I'll have used up all my parental leave).

That might change tomorrow, though. Since I can work on some of the issues but can't access the issues right now, a few colleagues have emailed their requests this afternoon. I'll look into them tomorrow.

Plus I'll have to go to the office for a short while as well. My laptop is going to be checked by IT (everyone's is).

giphy.gif

I did get to do most of the groceries this morning, though. That saved me some time in the afternoon, so I could take a one-hour walk during TimovieDaughter's music class.

And I got one-and-a-half hour of PlayStation time in. The weekly "summits" of The Crew 2 run from Wednesday to Wednesday, so I already got 6 out of the 9 races out of the way with acceptable times to reach the top tier - that's the top 11,000 players. Last week I was 2,788th. This week the top tier has a unique car as a reward, so it's going to be harder. But 10,999th is still good enough, so meh.

Funny thing, these weekly summits. I originally started doing them so TimovieSon would get a few extra fancy cars and more cash and other benefits in his game. He pretty much hasn't played the game in over a year now, and I'm still doing these.

It's not really for him anymore, is it? 🙃

TimovieSon also had a match this evening. Mrs. Movieman went with him, so I was free to swim again during TimovieDaughter's swimming practice. Got 58 lengths in 42 minutes. Which is really good considering the pool was reasonably crowded today, which meant a lot of evasive manoeuvres.

giphy.gif

I miscounted, though. I thought I had 56 lengths, but I lost count and my Fitbit is very reliable. If I had known, I'd have swum two more, to get an even 60 (and 1.5 km instead of 1.45).

I swam in the lane next to the swimming class, and there were a couple of lengths were I was swimming side by side with TimovieDaughter.

My 9-year old daughter, who is 40 cm (1 foot and 3 3/4 inch) shorter than me, swims breaststroke at the same speed as me. My only advantage comes from having a stronger push-off at the start of each length... 😲

Proud dad... 😇

• Like 11

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

Oh, right, tracking!

Wednesday, March 22nd

Movement:

- one-hour walk

- 40+ minutes of swimming (58 lengths of breaststroke - 1.45 km)

- 50 reverse angels (DailyDare)

Self-care:

- Ate sensibly

- Intermittent fasting: 17 hours

- Blood pressure meds: taken

- Elbow care: stretched

- Sleep: 6h 04m*

* seemed short, but the times on my Fitbit look correct. Awake more than I figured? But then the Fitbit still rated it as quality sleep, so meh.

Gaming:

- Solved 1 nonogram

- 3.5 hours of The Crew 2 (PS4)

I'm totally adding the nonograms to the game-challenge. I've completed more than 3340 of them at nonograms.org since August 2018, so I'm averaging 2 per day anyway.

Heck, my combined love for nonograms and Phoenix Wright games is why I played Murder By Numbers pretty much upon release. Solid game, btw.

No school for the kids today (teacher training day) and no school tomorrow either (local day off because of the E3 bike race).

Mrs. Movieman is taking the kids to the zoo for the day, while I'm working from home.

The planned work that I thought I'd be able to do will have to wait. I have access to an alternate export system, so I thought I could extract all the data that was requested that way, but I can only extract about 3/4 of the requested data, so I'd have to redo everything anyway once the system is back online. And then I got a mail that the alternate export system is not on the approved list yet, so we're not allowed to use it yet (oops).

Oh well, day 4 of not working it is. Will have to visit the IT department, though.

This next song made me go Keanu Reeves.

keanu-reeves-whoa.gif

I knew the original version of "Hurt" - I'm a fan of Trent Reznor after all - but Johnny Cash, mere months before his passing, took the Nine Inch Nails song and made it entirely his own.

Without changing any of the lyrics - well, he did change "crown of shit" into "crown of thorns" as Cash was a religious man and the image fit his retrospective version more - he gave the song an entirely new meaning.

Where Trent Reznor made a bleak and introspective song about hopelessness and despair, Cash turned that same song into a weathered reflection on life and mortality.

Johnny Cash - Hurt

And to reflect on the genius that was Johnny Cash, I'm throwing in a tribute song that Lord of the Lost made in his honour. Because I love Lord of the Lost and I agree with them.

Lord of the Lost - If Johnny Cash Was Here

• Like 8

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

16 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

If you'd like, it could be interesting following along with the Community Playthrough we held back at AdventureGamers several years ago. About ten of us playing the game at the same time (with a time-frame for each chapter so we're all discussing the same parts). The game's designer Rem Michalski even showed up to give some of his own insights. Link.

I will totally look at this after I finish the game! I watched that walkthrough of maniac mansion you posted and The Cat Lady really does mimic the layout of the house. Super cool! 

3 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

I'm totally adding the nonograms to the game-challenge. I've completed more than 3340 of them at nonograms.org since August 2018, so I'm averaging 2 per day anyway.

Heck, my combined love for nonograms and Phoenix Wright games is why I played Murder By Numbers pretty much upon release. Solid game, btw.

I love nonograms, and Phoenix Wright was my jam in college. I have a nonogram game on my phone I play when I'm in waiting rooms and whatnot. I also recently got a new Ace Attorney game for the switch. Looking forward to diving back into that world! 

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

I swam in the lane next to the swimming class, and there were a couple of lengths were I was swimming side by side with TimovieDaughter.

My 9-year old daughter, who is 40 cm (1 foot and 3 3/4 inch) shorter than me, swims breaststroke at the same speed as me. My only advantage comes from having a stronger push-off at the start of each length... 😲

Proud dad... 😇

That is so cool! ^_^

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

Yessss the Johnny version of Hurt is a frickin' masterpiece. Love love love it.

I just read about nonograms for about 5 minutes and am thoroughly confused WHICH HONESTLY isn't surprising (int is truly my dump stat) but they look really cool!!

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

21 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Proud dad... 😇

Solid GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Breastroke is a hard stroke, too. 

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

I love covers like that one that are unexpected and turned into something so different than the original but just as, if not more, powerful.  

• Like 3

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

I actually heard the Cash version way before discovering NIN and loving them!!!

Both are incredible :) 

They sure are!

Have an amazing day ❤️ 

Thank you!!!

9 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

I will totally look at this after I finish the game! I watched that walkthrough of maniac mansion you posted and The Cat Lady really does mimic the layout of the house. Super cool! 

I love nonograms, and Phoenix Wright was my jam in college. I have a nonogram game on my phone I play when I'm in waiting rooms and whatnot. I also recently got a new Ace Attorney game for the switch. Looking forward to diving back into that world! 

giphy.gif

Have fun with that. With the port to PC, I have been wanting to replay the original Phoenix Wright trilogy. Again.

9 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

That is so cool! ^_^

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, shaar said:

Yessss the Johnny version of Hurt is a frickin' masterpiece. Love love love it.

I just read about nonograms for about 5 minutes and am thoroughly confused WHICH HONESTLY isn't surprising (int is truly my dump stat) but they look really cool!!

It's a fun logic puzzle, and you get a nice drawing at the end. 😇

4 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Solid GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Breastroke is a hard stroke, too. 

Wolf

Actually, breaststroke is the only one I can do for a long time. When I attempt front-crawl, I'm absolutely knackered after just one length (with horrible form, I assume). Breaststroke uses far less energy and I can keep swimming for more than an hour... I assume my daughter could too.

Thing is, if I were to race my daughter, she'd switch to front-crawl or any other stroke and just leave me in her wake... 😅

Too bad she's not competitive *at all*. She just likes to swim...

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

You’re making very good use of the time during your kids lessons. I usually just waste time on my phone. Thanks for the inspiration :) 

Well, when she first started swimming, I spent the first two or three sessions in the bar overlooking the pool. Had two drinks each time. They cost more than an entry ticket for the pool. So I saw an opportunity and I grabbed it...

I try to do this as often as possible. Ten minutes early to pick someone up? Why wait inside and waste time on my phone when I can go for a ten-minute walk instead?

2 hours ago, Shello said:

I love covers like that one that are unexpected and turned into something so different than the original but just as, if not more, powerful.  

I'll be posting another one of those shortly. 😉

• Like 5

Tried to work this morning. Couldn't. And then found out I wasn't allowed to.

Dropped Mrs. Movieman and the kids off at the train station so they could go to the Antwerp Zoo.

Went to work to have my laptop checked by IT. Took all of 5 minutes, but they installed a new antivirus and it needed to scan the entire computer. If we got *any* error at all, we were to take a picture of it, shut down the computer and bring it back in, so I didn't want to drive back home only to have to drive back again should an error appear. I stayed on-site and went for a walk instead. My usual lunch break route when I'm at the office.

Except the scan didn't take "about an hour" like the IT people said. It took two. The route I took was about 20 minutes, and I ended each time by checking the laptop to see if it had finished or not. I did make a phone call, though, and spent some time talking to a colleague, so my watch only registered 90 minutes of walking. But I got my steps in for the day.

It was almost 3 when I got back home. Cleaned the litter boxes, and did my bodyweight workout.

The Antwerp Zoo is a bit smaller than the missus remembered, so she and the kids came home earlier than expected. I had intended to do 3 circuits in my workout and then take a nap. Those ideas got scrapped and I went to pick everyone up at the station instead. After that it was just preparing dinner, and watching a movie with the kids.

Yesterday, I let gaming win and got in bed far too late.

On the one hand, I'm done with The Crew 2 on the PS4 for this week. I'm on track to finish somewhere in the 6-to-7,000th range (and anywhere within the top 11,000 is enough).

On the other hand, I'm low on sleep, and for balance's sake, sleep must win tonight. So I'll be getting in bed early(-ish).

Thursday, March 23rd

Movement:

- 90-minute walk

- full bodyweight workout (including 40 scorpion twists (DailyDare))

Spoiler

- Warm-up:

40 scorpion twists (DailyDare)
40 jumping jacks
10 incline push-ups

- Workout (2 circuits):
2x10 one-leg calf raises
2 chin-ups (first circuit) - 1 chin-up (second circuit)
10 leg-assisted chin-ups
20 squats
10 push-ups
2x10 one-leg Romanian deadlifts
10 scapular pull-ups
10 hanging knee raises
20 wall slides
10 leg raises

Managed 2 chin-ups during my first circuit! Yay! 🙂

Self-care:

- Ate sensibly

- Intermittent fasting: 20.5 hours

- Elbow care: iced & stretched

- Sleep: 5h 12m

Gaming:

- Solved 3 nonograms

Like I said, another cover that's vastly different from - and better than - the original.

I've never been a big fan of Tears for Fears. They're just not really my thing.

When I first saw Donnie Darko, however, this song immediately jumped out. Loved it to bits. Found out it was a cover of a Tears for Fears song, didn't really like the original. The cover however, I consider that a masterpiece.

It took at least 6 years before that song became a hit here. I think it was because they used it in a fundraising campaign trailer when the tsunami hit in Thailand back in 2008. All the while I was shouting "it's the song from Donnie Darko!". It was #15 when I made a top 100 in 2004. It was #10 in 2005 and #11 in 2006. Again #10 when I did the top 300 back in 2016, and it's probably going to remain at #10. It's that good.

Michael Andrews feat. Gary Jules - Mad World

For reference, this is the original by Tears for Fears.

Also, I highly recommend the movie Donnie Darko, it's brilliant. Especially in the original cut. It's one of the rare cases where the Director's Cut doesn't do it justice...

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 3

3 hours ago, Salinger said:

We need to hang out hahah

We do have many likes in common. We could probably talk music, movies and sports all day and not disagree much... 😅

3 hours ago, Salinger said:

I love Donnie Darko. I even have a Donnie Darko tattoo!!!!!!!

Cool! Is it the Frank the Rabbit mask?

Slow day today. Mrs. Movieman has left for Amsterdam with some friends for the weekend, so it's just me and the kids.

No school for the kids because of the local E3 cycling race. TimovieSon is a huge cycling fan, so we went to the presentation of the riders (he wanted to see Van der Poel, Pogacar and Van Aert), and then caught the start.

To at least get some steps in, I walked there - the kids had their kick scooter with them. Now we're watching the race on the telly.

TimovieSon wants to tape the ending of the race, and go stand at the closest spot they'll pass by our house.

About 1.8 km (1.1 miles) before the finish, the riders will take a left turn. We'll be at that turn.

That means we'll miss the finish, hence why we're taping the ending. Although I think my son mainly wants to see if we can get on-camera, and less who actually wins... 🤣

And this evening the Belgian national football team has a European Qualifying match against Sweden, so we'll be watching that as well. Lazy day watching sports.
TimovieDaughter is less amused by all this, so I have to compensate by giving her more screen time on her tablet... 😇

And we'll all go swimming tomorrow afternoon - at a pool with plenty of slides so the kids can just have fun. 🙂

I'll try to swim a personal record - see if I can get past the 3 km mark. 🤪

• Like 5

So awesome that even though the day threw some curve balls at you, you made the best of it and still worked towards your goals! 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Oh man, seriously the version of Mad World by Gary Jules is one of my favorite songs of all time. I never get tired of it. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

I've never seen Donnie Darko, but that cover of Mad World is one of my favourite songs. 

• Like 2

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Managed 2 chin-ups during my first circuit! Yay! 🙂

Awesome!

I find cycling very boring, but all the men in my family love to watch it.. did you get on camera? x)

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Just a quick tracking update.

Friday, March 24th

Movement:

- walk to the start of the E3 cycling race, and back

Self-care:

- Ate reasonably sensibly - had a minor late-night snack binge, though 🙁

- Intermittent fasting: 17 hours

- Sleep: 6h 54m

Gaming:

- Solved 7 nonograms

- 1.5 hours of The Black Mirror (PC)

Got some game time in AND went to bed at a very acceptable hour for a Friday. Balance! 😎

While TimovieSon and me were watching the football match, TimovieDaughter watched the 1979 Muppet Movie again. We had watched it with the entire family last year. One specific gag near the end had to be rewinded several times because the kids (and me to be fair) were laughing so hard and wanted to see it again. When she got to that gag this time, she once again paused it and replayed it so we could watch it too.

It's this one:

Which prompts me to post this song (from a different Muppets movie, but hey, the Muppets rule!):

Jason Segel & Walter - "Man or Muppet"

• Like 6

Muppets movie!!!  Hahaha that is a great clip, as soon as I saw the Youtube link I knew what I was in for.  100% classic!

Have fun with your swim day! Swimming is hard work!! (It tires me out so fast hahaha)

• Thanks 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

On 3/24/2023 at 3:47 PM, RhiaWolfe said:

So awesome that even though the day threw some curve balls at you, you made the best of it and still worked towards your goals! 

I've conditioned myself to ask "can I get a short walk in?" whenever I have a bit of a dead moment.

Although I'm far better at that away from home. At home, the lure of the laptop overrides everything. 😛

On 3/24/2023 at 3:47 PM, RhiaWolfe said:

Oh man, seriously the version of Mad World by Gary Jules is one of my favorite songs of all time. I never get tired of it. 

Absolutely!

On 3/24/2023 at 3:56 PM, Sovalis said:

I've never seen Donnie Darko, but that cover of Mad World is one of my favourite songs. 

I highly recommend the movie. It's mind-bending and thought-provoking, and was rightfully the breakthrough role for Jake Gyllenhaal...

On 3/24/2023 at 7:47 PM, KB Girl said:

Awesome!

I find cycling very boring, but all the men in my family love to watch it.. did you get on camera? x)

I'm from Belgium. Being a cycling fan is pretty much mandatory here. 🤪

As to whether or not we got on camera, I'll have to answer "yes and no".

Yes, we were on camera, but only in passing and during a camera pan. I got to recognise us based on the clothes we were wearing, but we were far too blurry to be recognisable by anyone else.

On 3/25/2023 at 11:45 AM, Salinger said:

nope, its the date..... 

334881692_108046055577457_8542639291936682053_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=5MKog9-AsNIAX_3HH80&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.fna&oh=03_AdS9SqI0fqxNrxUMKmM-YKtLntZ7_yCnwmRkAaz06X903g&oe=64465DB7

xxx

Nice!

28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 12 seconds. That is when the world will end. 😎

On 3/25/2023 at 1:30 PM, shaar said:

Muppets movie!!!  Hahaha that is a great clip, as soon as I saw the Youtube link I knew what I was in for.  100% classic!

Never gets old!

On 3/25/2023 at 1:30 PM, shaar said:

Have fun with your swim day! Swimming is hard work!! (It tires me out so fast hahaha)

Thanks!

On 3/25/2023 at 1:50 PM, Chesire said:

I'm all in for more sleep and more game time!  And now I want to watch Donnie Darko again.  and the Muppets.  There just isn't enough time!  Tell me your secrets! 

Secrets? The amount of movies I see has plummeted since 2010 and even more so since the kids were born. I've got enough hobbies to be short on time with 72 hours in a day and no sleep, and have had to sacrifice most of them over the years... 😅

i-need-a-lot-more-time-almost-there.gif

• Like 3

On 3/23/2023 at 3:19 PM, TimovieMan said:

I try to do this as often as possible. Ten minutes early to pick someone up? Why wait inside and waste time on my phone when I can go for a ten-minute walk instead?

😉

Totally inspiring!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow.” Carrie Fisher

16 hours ago, TrashcanCarla said:

Totally inspiring!

I started making a habit of this several years ago, and I have kept that up most of the time. Even when the diet and the exercising weren't going well, I still went for a half-hour walk each day during my lunch break, and have kept occasionally going for short walks, even if only to get my step count up.

Now that I'm focusing on it a bit more, I'm just taking more opportunities to go for a walk...

On 3/23/2023 at 11:19 PM, TimovieMan said:

Thing is, if I were to race my daughter, she'd switch to front-crawl or any other stroke and just leave me in her wake... 😅

Too bad she's not competitive *at all*. She just likes to swim...

My daughter has pleasantly surprised me.

We went swimming Saturday afternoon. The kids could go on the slides as much they wanted, but I started with one hour and 45 minutes of swimming lengths (breaststroke). After half an hour, my daughter wanted to race me for a length. I obliged.

We started at the same time, I gave it my all (because I'm competitive and won't just give the win away)*. I lost by half an arm's length. Despite my push-off advantage...

I was beaten by a 9-year old girl. And couldn't be prouder! 🙂

* Back when I was playing table tennis, in all the years I've played, I only ever gave one point away. It was in a playoff match where - once a winner was known - any ongoing matches could be abandoned. Matches were teams of 4 against each other, with everyone playing a singles match vs everyone on the other team, so 16 matches. Me and a teammate were playing the final two matches, and were trailing 8-6. My team mate lost, causing the other team to have won the match (at best we could get to 9-7). Since it was a playoff game, my match was thus no longer important (not even for my ranking). But we were at match point for my opponent, and I insisted that we still play that point. She served, and instead of returning, I just went over to congratulate her on the win. As far as I can recall that's the only point I've ever thrown (and I was trailing 10-4 or something in that set so would've lost anyway).

Heck, before the format change to 11 points per set, so back when I was 18 or so, I once beat an 8-year old with 21-0 21-0. One of my team members gave me an earful about how I demolished that kid (I didn't - I just kept returning everything until he missed, I wasn't even trying to get winners) and how I should've given him one or two points (by deliberately hitting a ball in the net or so). I said that that's not how I operate, and besides, I didn't even play at strength - it was the kid that had no business in a competitive match, even at the lowest level. So I went and gave an earful to his trainer because the kid wasn't ready and throwing him in a match he's utterly unprepared for is only going to hurt him instead of teaching him something...

I operate the same way with my kids: if they can't beat me, I'm not playing at strength, but I'm not giving the win away either. If they can beat me, then I'm at strength, and they'll have to work for it. And when they win, then they'll have earned it, and I'll be the first to congratulate them and high-five them and whatnot...

After that one-length race, I kept swimming for a little more than an hour. Not until I was too tired to continue, but mostly until I was too unmotivated to continue further and just wanted to have some fun with the kids again.

Got 130 lengths, or 3250 meters. That's just over 2 miles for those of you on the Imperial system! Personal record length! 😎

And then I joined the kids for more than an hour of slide fun. Even if every time I went on a slide basically started with

stairs-kungfu-panda.gif

Saturday, March 25th

Movement:

- swam 130 lengths (3.25 km) of breaststroke

Self-care:

- Ate sensibly - if a bit unhealthily - we went for fries in the evening

- Intermittent fasting: 20 hours

- Sleep: 7h 39m

Gaming:

- 1.5 hours of The Black Mirror (PC)

Went to bed at an appropriate hour - especially since TimovieSon had a football match on Sunday morning, and we lost an hour that night because of daylight savings - so BALANCE!!!

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 2