TimovieMan balances sleep and gaming

7 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

My mind was basically all over the place...

Not to mention, it's got to be hard trying to fall asleep with your brain cells firing all over the place like that.

• Like 2

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"If you know the way broadly, you will see it in all things." -Miyamoto Musashi

"Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people. And, see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And, and ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is, is we're here on Earth to fart around. And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore." -Kurt Vonnegut.

10 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

Ah yeah, I like to finish one game before starting the next in the series. Also find I often get sucked into 'where did the time go' in the evening - I get so much more awake the later it gets which is not useful when you have a 9-5 job...

Ah, a fellow night owl. 😁

Morning people have a rhythm where they wake early and have a lot of energy in the morning, which slowly lowers during the day.
Night owls are the opposite: their energy is low in the morning and gradually increases during the day.
Night owls don't do as well with 9-to-5s.

Hence why sleep is an active part of my challenge, and hence why it's the part that's the most difficult... 😅

7 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey Timo!

Amazing about your new work buddy :) very pleasing when you can connect with someone !

Thanks! And he's another source to learn new music from. 🙂

And to annoy with whatever pops in my mind during the day... 😅

I'm curious to see how he'll get along with our other resident geek in the team. It'll be interesting to see how he responds to talk about Magic: The Gathering and how well he knows his memes and Monty Python routines... 😇

7 hours ago, Salinger said:

Who are the favourites for James Bond?? Interested to know!

It's all speculation and click-bait when looking online. No actual verifiable statements. So it's all up for grabs.

Idris Elba is a fan favourite, but given his age not really a viable option for a long run. Which is too bad, because there aren't many people with his levels of charisma, suave and rugged good looks.

Among the high-profile actors are Tom Hiddleston, Henry Cavill, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Tom Hardy, Regé-Jean Page, Dan Stevens, Sopé Dirisù, Richard Madden, Luke Evans, Riz Ahmed and Daniel Kaluuya.

I feel like I'd approve most of Henry Cavill, Sopé Dirisù, Richard Madden and Luke Evans.

3 hours ago, KeysMcGee said:

Not to mention, it's got to be hard trying to fall asleep with your brain cells firing all over the place like that.

I'm wondering if I should blame my coffee consumption yesterday morning? 🤔

I'll post another Nanowar of Steel song. Given the ridiculous lyrics, this song has no right having such a great and catchy chorus... 😅

The guest singer Madeleine Liljestam is the lead vocalist (and namesake) of "Eleine". Coincidentally the opening act on the first day of the Alcatraz festival this summer. 😎

Nanowar of Steel - "Winterstorm in the Night"

• Like 3

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

Wednesday, April 26th

Movement:

- half-hour walk during my daughter's swimming practice

Self-care:

- Ate reasonably

- Intermittent fasting: 16 hours

- Blood pressure meds: taken

- Elbow care: stretched

- Sleep: 4h 36m

Gaming:

- solved 9 nonograms

Got in bed at a *very* reasonable hour for me, to catch up on some of the sleep I'd lost the day before. No gaming, though.

We did watch the latest episode of the reality series "Boris". It's a short Flemish series that's on TV at the moment.

Jeroom, a cartoonist / TV-presenter here, lost his older brother Boris to cancer about 25 years ago. One of the things on his brother's bucket list at that time was a road trip through Canada. He's now making that road trip himself, with his brother's urn of ashes in his backpack, with the idea of scattering his brother's ashes at "the most beautiful spot in Canada". He's accompagnied by two friends, also known TV-personalities here, a food-obsessed vlogger / rapper and a comedian / screenwriter / director / cartoonist / actor.

It's a road trip series with beautiful shots of Canada, but also an introspective "reconnection" with and goodbye to Jeroom's brother Boris, interspersed with interviews he did with family members and his brother's old friends from back in the day.

The series has an emotional core at its heart, but because it's a road trip with three dry, witty and absurd comedian friends, it's also bloody hilarious. I love it.

And I also spent some time being baffled at Luca Brecel's closing snooker session vs. Ronnie O'Sullivan yesterday. I don't recall seeing Brecel playing *that* well before. Ronnie practically didn't get up from his chair throughout. Brecel went from trailing 6-10 to winning 13-10. Wipe-out 7-0 session! Against probably the greatest player the game has ever seen!

First Belgian and even first mainland European player ever to reach the quarter finals at the WSC, and now the semi-finals!

giphy.gif

I'll probably post another song later today, but here's a short one for good measure.

It's a song that's practically been playing on repeat in our house for two weeks now because of the kids. Ever since seeing The Super Mario Bros. Movie, they've been obsessessed with the song "Peaches" that was performed in the film by Bowser. It was the moment where I finally identified Bowser's voice actor. Couldn't place the deep voice until he started singing. Then it was an immediate "Jack Black!!!".

So of course, being Jack Black, it's both awesome and funny. And yet another testament that Jack Black is actually a really accomplished singer.

But like I said: this has been on repeat for two weeks here. It's become an earworm that can put Frozen's "Let It Go" to shame...

Bowser (Jack Black) - "Peaches"

I can totally imagine Jack Black showing up at the voice recording studio in this get-up, just for shits and giggles. 😁

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

14 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Ah, a fellow night owl. 😁

Morning people have a rhythm where they wake early and have a lot of energy in the morning, which slowly lowers during the day.
Night owls are the opposite: their energy is low in the morning and gradually increases during the day.
Night owls don't do as well with 9-to-5s.

Hence why sleep is an active part of my challenge, and hence why it's the part that's the most difficult... 😅

And I wish workplaces were more accepting of this... in a previous job I had a team member who cited the research on how negatively it affects night owls to have to conform to 'normal' working hours (as I was his boss, I said he could work 10-6pm) but most of my roles since have viewed being a night owl as laziness. I don't get why working 8am-4pm is an acceptable work hour switch but not starting later 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

Level 37 Rogue Ranger, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

9 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

And I wish workplaces were more accepting of this... in a previous job I had a team member who cited the research on how negatively it affects night owls to have to conform to 'normal' working hours (as I was his boss, I said he could work 10-6pm) but most of my roles since have viewed being a night owl as laziness. I don't get why working 8am-4pm is an acceptable work hour switch but not starting later 🤷‍♀️

I have flexible hours at work. I can start anytime between 7.30 and 9.30 am, lunch anytime between 11 am and 2 pm, and end anytime between 4 and 6.30 pm.

Not that it makes a difference with two kids. They're still bound to school hours, so they have to be at school by 8.25, and picked up no later than 6 pm.

Then again, nothing wrong with having my most "productive" hours being the me-time hours... 😇

I made my usual mistake with mashed potatoes yesterday. Taking the potatoes, I'm always wondering "is that going to be enough?". Once they're peeled and cut, I'm usually going "bloody hell, that's a lot!". And once they're boiled and drained, I add butter, eggs, milk, salt, pepper & nutmeg, and start mashing. And then I'm usually going "yikes, is that going to be enough?" again.

And then I scoop it on plates for the missus, the kids and me and have to concede that it indeed was a lot... 🤪

war-dogs-war-dogs-movie.gif

In preparation for the Alcatraz festival this summer, I've made a schedule with all the stages, bands and times they're playing.

Starting on the first day with the opener, I'm going over all the bands to "score" them. I listen to a couple of songs to gauge the genre and how much I'd like them, especially since I've never heard of most of the bands. I'm basically already deciding which bands I'm going to go see, and in what order. For every band I'm actually going to see I'm also putting 6-8 songs (that they usually play live in their sets) in a Spotify list that's going to be used for "prep" in the coming months. Gotta be prepared... 😇

I got halfway through the first day, and started panicking a little. I had  just 1 band that I actually wanted to see, 6 "meh" bands to check out but only because nothing better is playing, 7 "nope" bands, and 3 "HELL NO!" bands.

Now the three main stage headliners are all great (for all three days - hence why I have tickets in the first place), so I'm not really worried. But the other bands almost made me question how much of a metalhead I even am.
But then I got to the "evening" part of the first day and suddenly I'm discovering one great band after another that I'd want to see.

So from just before noon until 5 pm on the first day, it feels like it's going to be a bit wishy-washy. But as of 5 pm, it looks like I've got one good band after another. Now I can only hope that they're all good live as well. And who knows what bands in the early afternoon might surprise me?

As it turns out, apparently I like the stoner / desert rock genre. There's two bands in that genre playing, and both sound great. Never heard of either band, but immediately thought "I'm digging this".

Their rhythm guitar and drums are droning like a motorcycle engine, and the other instruments are creating a vibe that feels like you're biking through the desert, just you and the road. Quite atmospheric and cool.

Here's one of those bands:

Psychlona - "Blast Off"

This was used as an album opener. It would surprise me greatly if they didn't use this as a set opener live too. Sounds like an excellent way to kick the door in and announce their arrival. 🤘

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Thursday, April 27th

Movement:

- biked to work (and back)

- half-hour walk during my lunch break

- 3 DailyDare exercises (leg raises, side plank holds and high crunches)

Self-care:

- Ate reasonably

- Intermittent fasting: 27 hours

- Sleep: 6h 39m

Gaming:

- solved 2 nonograms

- 45 minutes of The Crew 2 (PS4)

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

14 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Hey what dates are your festival ? Mine is 8th June or something. 

Really like the song !!!!!! gorgeous riff. xx

It's mid-August. August 11-12-13.

I'm just really early with my prep work... 😇

11 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Do you like Pigs x7? I adore them, saw them a couple of years ago in a small sweaty venue. SOOOOO GOOD. 

Sounds great!

Didn't know them. I like the rhythm. Singer's voice gives me Lemmy Kilmister vibes. 🤘

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

nothing wrong with having my most "productive" hours being the me-time hours... 😇

🤯 what a GREAT way to think about it!

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Pigs x7

Thanks for the recommendation - currently background to wfh!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

14 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

I made my usual mistake with mashed potatoes yesterday. Taking the potatoes, I'm always wondering "is that going to be enough?". Once they're peeled and cut, I'm usually going "bloody hell, that's a lot!". And once they're boiled and drained, I add butter, eggs, milk, salt, pepper & nutmeg, and start mashing. And then I'm usually going "yikes, is that going to be enough?" again.

And then I scoop it on plates for the missus, the kids and me and have to concede that it indeed was a lot... 🤪

war-dogs-war-dogs-movie.gif

ME TOO.

EVERY SINGLE TIME.

My husband always makes fun of me because halfway through my potato cooking process I will invariably mutter "wow that's a shit-ton of potatoes" and he will be like HERE WE ARE AGAIN 😅 Currently have way too much leftover potatoes in the fridge from last weekend's over-potatoing as well................

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

13 minutes ago, shaar said:

Currently have way too much leftover potatoes in the fridge from last weekend's over-potatoing as well................

What is this "leftover" brand of potatoes of which you speak??? 🤔🤣

• Haha 5

Quick update about the weekend:

- Biked to work (and back) on Friday. Half-hour walk during my lunch break.

- Red Cross blood donations at work on Friday. Since I had planned on donating next week anyway, I went at work. Handed in my doctor's note clearing me for another year. Blood pressure was 130/95 when they measured. Which is odd, since it's been around 115/85 for weeks. Probably a fluke, got varying results at home on Saturday too. 130/80 and then 105/85 right after. I'll just shrug and ignore these results.

- One-hour walk during my daughter's music class on Saturday.

- The missus' best friend's oldest son had his First Holy Communion on Saturday. Which meant that the afternoon and evening were an onslaught of crisps, appetisers, fries, desserts, candy, soda and lots of other unhealthy things. I went easy on the fries, but the damage had already been done by then. And I didn't count on there being dessert afterwards, so it turned into a caloric clusterfuck. At least I had the common sense of doing my weigh-in beforehand.

- I had lunch on Sunday, despite not planning to have it. We'd prepared something for the kids, and the missus had a leftover plate of spaghetti from Friday evening. But the kids heard 'spaghetti' and whined until they had that plate instead. Which meant I had to make something extra for the missus, and to avoid having to toss food out, I had lunch as well.

- We had the missus' godchild's second birthday party in the afternoon, so another day of heavy eating. There was cake, there were appetisers and there was dinner. I managed to eat reasonably, though. Probably still over my caloric needs for the day, but not a total loss like on Saturday.

- Only activity on Sunday was a bit of time spent playing football with TimovieSon.

- First of May is a holiday, so no work on Monday. Did some spring break cleaning around the house. Had to go and drop off my stamp card for April for my temporary unemployment. Had planned on walking there to have some steps for the day, but TimovieSon really wanted to go on a bike ride, so went by bike instead.

- Food was very reasonable again. Need to undo the weekend's damage...

Oh, and snooker. Lots and lots of snooker.

I'm the only one following snooker at home - been following Brecel since he was 14 and won the European U19 (!!!) championship - and usually have to content myself with watching the late-night highlights on BBC2. But now that we had a Belgian in the semis and in the final even, I got to watch most of the matches live.

And TimovieSon has now become a fan as well. 😁

I'm creating a monster. 🤣

With Brecel being the first mainland European player to win the world championship, they predict the sport will "blow up" in Europe. Wishful thinking if you ask me. It *might* blow up here in Belgium now, but we've already got something of a "Luca Brecel effect" here, with an additional 19 and 20-year old professional player currently in the world rankings.

There could be a massive influx of new players, though. "Dancing" Dimi Vandenberghe made darts blow up here too. Another sport I've been following for years. 😇
I just don't think it'll have any impact in the Netherlands, Germany or France, let alone any other country...

Hmmm, so much for that "quick" update. 🤭

Logs for Friday-Saturday-Sunday coming soon, as well as the challenge wrap-up. New challenge in the works.

• Like 3

Friday, April 28th

Movement:

- biked to work (and back)

- half-hour walk during my lunch break

Self-care:

- Ate reasonably

- Intermittent fasting: 23 hours

- Sleep: 5h 20m*

* Blame the World Championship Snooker. Or the late hour for BBC's snooker highlights. Or the hour of difference between CET and GMT which makes those highlights even later. Or just me being even more interested than usual because we had a Belgian doing well for once... 😅

Yes, let's do that: blame Luca Brecel. 😇

As if I wouldn't have watched the highlights if he'd been knocked out in the first round again... 😅

Gaming:

- solved 11 nonograms

Saturday, April 29th

Movement:

- one-hour walk during my daughter's music class

Self-care:

- Ate an inordinate amount of unhealthy stuff

- Intermittent fasting: 19.5 hours

- Sleep: 7h 29m*

* Staying up late to watch the highlights isn't as bad if I don't have to get up early in the morning...

Gaming:

- solved 14 nonograms

Sunday, April 30th

Movement:

- half-hour of playing football with TimovieSon (which actually registered as "sport" on my Fitbit)

Self-care:

- Ate 'meh' - which is reasonable considering there being cake as well as an unexpected lunch

- Intermittent fasting: 16 hours

- Sleep: 7h 03m

Gaming:

- solved 14 nonograms

- 2 hours of The Crew 2 (PS4)

Weekly weigh-in

Weight: 94.90 kg (-0.9)

Body fat: 22.8% (-0.1)

Visceral fat: 9.0% (-0.5)

Blood pressure: 115/85*

* Average over three measurements. But the variance was too high to be reliable.

Wrap-up of the week (and the challenge) coming later tonight.

I finished my preliminary prep work for Alcatraz Open Air. Wound up with a Spotify list of over 400 songs and 24 hours. This will be my main playlist for the next few months.

I'll probably be posting a lot from that list in the upcoming challenge, so why not get a headstart on doing that and posting one now?

One of the headliners on the first day is Trivium. A band I liked back in the day, but that I kinda lost track of. Listening to some of their work now is really a reminder that these guys are great, and one of the bands I'm very much looking forward to.

This song is one of their most popular ones (albeit also one of their "softer" ones). I like the message of "make an effort to change your mind if you hate something". Fits with my general "focus on the positive" attitude, and difficulty of doing just that sometimes...

Trivium - "The Heart From Your Hate"

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

- First of May is a holiday, so no work on Monday.

Everywhere except the Netherlands! But we had a huge strike going on at Albert Heijn's so that's something ;)

I had fun catching up, listening to some music, being the only one to understand your fiscal joke. 

• Thanks 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

I had fun catching up, listening to some music, being the only one to understand your fiscal joke. 

One of my colleagues didn't laugh at that joke. He got a "screw you, that was funny!" from me. 😁

That line's part of my repertoire whenever I get no response for a joke that I actually like (i.e. one that isn't naturally groan-worthy).

If the joke is bad, though, I'll probably go "ba-dum-tiss" or "thank you, I'll be here all week" or something... 😇

get-me-coat.gif

Week 5 summary

Self-care:

Intermittent fasting: 7x

Ate sensibly: 5x

Blood pressure meds: 7x

Elbow care: physio 1x, iced 1x, stretched 7x

Average sleep: 6h 15m

Movement:

Distance walked / swam: 26.42 km (16.4 miles)

Walk to Mordor: total 220.0 miles - Hobbiton to Rivendell - Day 13 (6th from Bree) - Approaching the foot of the Weather Hills. Crumpled ruins on the Hills visible.

Training: one bodyweight workout

9x DailyDare (3 behind schedule)

Gaming:

- 57 nonograms solved

- 2 hours 45 minutes of The Crew 2 (PS4) - did the weekly summit

- watched a part of a "movie" of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy to remember where I was in the game

Balance:

Week  
    0 1 2 3 4 5  
   Monday              
   Tuesday              
   Wednesday              
   Thursday              
   Friday              
   Saturday              
   Sunday              

Challenge summary

Sleep:

- week 0 and 1: average more than 6h 20m of sleep per night -> SUCCESS! (6h 40m and 6h 54m)

- week 2 and 3: average more than 6h 25m of sleep per night -> SUCCESS! (6h 34m and 6h 38m)

- week 4 and 5: average more than 6h 30m of sleep per night -> FAIL! (6h 03m and 6h 15m)

Game:

- week 0-3: keep up with the Community Playthrough of The Black Mirror over at AG -> SUCCESS!

- continuously: keep finishing in the top tier in the weekly "summits" in The Crew 2 -> SUCCESS!

- continuously: solve a nonogram each day -> SUCCESS! (every. single. day!)

- anytime during the challenge: continue playing the Rusty Lake games, continue Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, continue The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, play Stray -> FAIL! (best I've done is watching a video for Uncharted: The Lost Legacy)

Eat sensibly:

- Intermittent fasting (16+ hours), at least 6x per week -> SUCCESS! 

- Get the weight below 95 kg by the end of the challenge -> SUCCESS! (94.9 kg - just over the finish line)

Work out:

- Keep doing the DailyDare exercises -> MEH. (did them in batches instead of daily)

- At least 3 full bodyweight workouts per two weeks (aim for 4) -> FAIL! (did 4 in the first two weeks, just 1 in the next two weeks, and 2 in the last two weeks)

Everything went well on the sleep and gaming front as long as I was temporarily unemployed. The second I got back to work, it basically all fell apart. The sleeping mainly. Workouts could be better, but that's partly a planning issue (and me being reluctant to do so in the evening with the missus and/or the kids watching).

Intermittent fasting and dieting is still going good enough, so there's that at least...

• Like 2

New challenge:

• That's Metal 1

On 5/2/2023 at 11:21 PM, TimovieMan said:

one that isn't naturally groan-worthy

These ARE the best jokes (as in groan worthy) :D 

7 minutes ago, Silmarilliane said:

These ARE the best jokes (as in groan worthy) :D 

Depends on the audience. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1