WhiteGhost Saw it on Mulberry Street

On 4/10/2023 at 4:38 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Folks, there was a murder in our yard yesterday.  A murder of crows, that is. 

They Had Us In The First Half Not Gonna Lie GIF - They Had Us In The First  Half Not Gonna Lie - Discover & Share GIFs 

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

V7v1nmm.jpg

Exciting! Those trees are just gorgeous!

• Like 2

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

What beautiful blooms! A lot of our snow melted over the long weekend, but it is sleeting a bit again this morning. We probably won’t have blooming anything here until sometime next month so I will live vicariously through your photo!

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

They Had Us In The First Half Not Gonna Lie GIF - They Had Us In The First  Half Not Gonna Lie - Discover & Share GIFs 

Context GIFs | Tenor

9 hours ago, Sovalis said:

What beautiful blooms! A lot of our snow melted over the long weekend, but it is sleeting a bit again this morning. We probably won’t have blooming anything here until sometime next month so I will live vicariously through your photo!

Most of the blossoms have already wilted by now, but I will try to get some pictures of any that are still in bloom for you :)  

--------------------------------

I have a few stories from yesterday

In the morning I headed over to the equivalent of the DMV because my drivers license expires at the end of the month.  It turns out that I have to go to a central place downtown because the local place doesn't have the right system to handle foreigners so I will go take care of that later this week or next week.  The story is about the trip home.  Ghostess dropped me off on her way to work so I had to find my own way home.  I did not ride the suway at all during Covid so I decided to give it a go since I was only 3 stations away from home.  My how things have changed over the last 3 years.  There were countless technology upgrades the country went through in order to control covid, and the subway system got a makeover as well.  They got rid of the traditional ticket system and now it is based entirely on mobile pay platforms.  This is super convenient for anyone who is already in the system because you just use the same app we needed to track our health status during covid and it automatically deducts the fare.  However, if someone is not already in the system (such a visitor to China) you are out of luck.  In order to get on the subway you have to get into the system and the only way to get into the system you have to show a Chinese government issued picture ID.  I asked the subway worker how I could get onto the subway if I wasn't already in the system and they didn't know.  Anonymous travel in China, while difficult before, is now virtually impossible.

Second story in that we had a massive sand storm yesterday.  Beijing used to get these every spring back when I first came here as the winds would blow down from the Gobi desert bringing huge yellow clouds of sand.  These would sometime get so big they would reach the West Coast of the US before finally dispersing.  To control this, the government plated massive forests between the desert and the city.  However, this had some unintended consequences.  The trees did their job of blocking the wind and we stopped having the massive sand storms.  However, it was discovered that the wind was needed to clear all of the pollution out of the city and it came to a head back in 2014 when we had a massive "aiir-pocalypse" with the AQI getting up well over 1,000 for a couple of weeks.  They have since reduced the forests but now it means that we will be getting the occasional sandstorm blowing through again.

Last story is about Ghostlet and his football team.  He has now got enough players that have learned the game well enough that they can do scrimmages.  It didn't take long to realize that the defense could blitz the QB every play because the offensive line was basically just the Center.  Ghostlet asked my advice and I explained to him the concept of mandatory rush counts, and that it is usually measured in alligators or Mississipppis (i.e. 1 alligator, 2 alligator, etc.).  He went back and discussed this with his team and they decided to implement something similar yet unique.  Instead of Alligator or Mississippi, thy decided to count 1 Quarterback, 2 Quarterback, etc.    The reasoning made sense:  1) the word Quarterback is sufficiently long in both English and Chinese so the defense can choose to count in either language (Chinese is called Si Fen Wei) 2) it is a word all of them are familiar with, and 3) it fits well with the defensive objective of rushing in the first place.

• Like 10
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

19 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

The trees did their job of blocking the wind and we stopped having the massive sand storms.  However, it was discovered that the wind was needed to clear all of the pollution out of the city and it came to a head back in 2014 when we had a massive "aiir-pocalypse" with the AQI getting up well over 1,000 for a couple of weeks. 

Bob Odenkirk Wow GIF by Better Call Saul

Reading that last sentence makes my asthma hurt.

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

On 4/9/2023 at 6:59 PM, WhiteGhost said:

The worst for her is that she can't clean herself and she really hates being dirty.

Ohhh poor Wraith!! I'm so sorry about a whole other cone week. :( This is Ronin's biggest distress too, he's such a clean cat and he's getting agitated that he can't groom his butt because we will catch him and put the cone right back on.   These cats are definitely in their Depression Era right now, haha..

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

On 4/12/2023 at 11:56 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Bob Odenkirk Wow GIF by Better Call Saul

Reading that last sentence makes my asthma hurt.

It made my asthma hurt too, and I don't even have asthma.  

16 hours ago, shaar said:

Ohhh poor Wraith!! I'm so sorry about a whole other cone week. :( This is Ronin's biggest distress too, he's such a clean cat and he's getting agitated that he can't groom his butt because we will catch him and put the cone right back on.   These cats are definitely in their Depression Era right now, haha..

We try to do what we can to lessen the distress, but sometimes it makes things worse :(  we got her a softer cone that doesn't get in the way as much when she tries to walk around but we quickly discovered that when she drinks it tends to droop into the water and ends up getting wet.  She then heads over to pee and when she turns to make sure everything is covered it will droop into the sand and then she has to walk around with a cone covered in kitty litter :(   We all can't wait until she can take it off

---------------------------------------------

I am struggling to think of a story for yesterday.  The only thing that comes to mind is I recently finished playing a mod for Skyrim which replicates the main quest of ES2 Daggerfall within the ES5 Skyrim engine.  It was fun so I went and downloaded Daggerfall to give that a try and spent most of the day getting it set up.  Today I am not really in the mood to play that so I guess I wasted most of my day yesterday.  Not sure that makes a story but that's all I have...

EDIT:  

I remembered what story I was going to tell for yesterday.  Several months ago, one of our neighbors started practicing piano.  After a few weeks of listening to them practice, I decided to get a new keyboard and get back into practicing myself.  Apparently this has had a positive flowthrough because yesterday Ghostess decided she wants to start learning piano, and found several simple things she can start learning to play.  Among the things she is learning is the beginning part of Faded, and she is already able to make it sound pretty dang good.

• Like 10

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

the beginning part of Faded, and she is already able to make it sound pretty dang good.

I LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH!!!!!

Maaaan I used to play the piano ages ago and every now and then, it pops into my head that I'd love to play again too.........

• Like 1

I also love this song! Yay for more musicians in the world!

• Like 1

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 4/9/2023 at 5:59 PM, WhiteGhost said:

It goes both ways.  It is also interesting for me to see how others are living in places that are different from me.  For example, I am always fascinated by @Shello's posts because she often mentions all kinds of sweets that I have never heard of (and subsequently really, really want) :D 

It's easter time so there's candy everywhere.  I've restricted myself this time to mini robin's malted eggs and Reese's Pieces eggs.  These are far superior to standard Reese's Peices due to the increased size and subsequent amount of peanut butter filling.  

REESE'S PIECES Peanut Butter Eggs, 3.5 oz carton

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

As a Canadian I am intensely jealous of all the American candy!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shaar said:

I LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH!!!!!

Maaaan I used to play the piano ages ago and every now and then, it pops into my head that I'd love to play again too.........

I used to play violin back in high school and I sometimes think about picking that back up again, but I kinda doubt it will ever happen tbh

9 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I also love this song! Yay for more musicians in the world!

I'll be honest, the only reason I have ever even heard of this song is because it is a common selection for background music in tiktok videos

4 hours ago, Shello said:

It's easter time so there's candy everywhere.  I've restricted myself this time to mini robin's malted eggs and Reese's Pieces eggs.  These are far superior to standard Reese's Peices due to the increased size and subsequent amount of peanut butter filling.  

REESE'S PIECES Peanut Butter Eggs, 3.5 oz carton

Yep, things like this is exactly what I was talking about :D 

A while ago when we were going back to the US for Christmas we had an extra suitcase (we used to haul presents over) and we happened to stop by the candy isle of a supermarket and saw all of the crazy Christmas candy selections.  We ended up filling that entire spare suitcase fill of candy :D   

3 hours ago, Sovalis said:

As a Canadian I am intensely jealous of all the American candy!

As an American expat I am also intensely jealous :D 

-----------------------------------

Yesterday Ghostess needed me to drop her off at the airport.  Her last two business trips she has been super rushed because we didn't get out of the house until the very last minute.  This time we left very early because we had to get all the way across town in rush hour traffic and she didn't want to feel rushed.  We ended up getting to the airport an hour earlier than she needed to be there and as we were pulling up she was mentioning that now she was going to have to wait around in the airport.  Let's call this foreshadowing...

We pull up to the curb and I help her pull her luggage out of the trunk and happen to notice that she didn't have her laptop with her.  Sometimes she doesn't need it, so I assumed that was the case this time but I asked her about it anyway.  She laughed and thought I was teasing her until she realized I really didn't have it.  We did not have time to run all the way back home to get it and still catch this flight, but she had some coworkers coming on a later flight and so we discussed the possibility of getting the laptop to her coworkers to bring on the later flight but it would be too late because their evening flight wouldn't arrive until after her afternoon meeting with the Chairman.  We ended up rebooking a flight that would give her just barely enough time to run home, get the laptop, and then barely enough time to get to her meeting from the airport in Shanghai.  We made it home and back to the airport again without too much trouble and we got there with enough time that she didn't have to sprint through the airport to catch her flight.  Later I asked her if she made it to the meeting with the Chairman on time and that is where the plot twist comes in...

It turns out that the Chairman had something urgent come up while she was in the air and had to postpone their meeting until after dinner.  If she had known this, she could have taken the original flight and had her coworker bring the laptop and everything would have been fine.  The moral of this story:  stories are only  compelling and/or dramatic when not everyone has all of the necessary information when they need it :D   

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Level 2 Ninja

I have mentioned here before how Phantom doesn't like our cleaning lady, but it seems that will no longer be an issue.  Which is unfortunate because it was better than the alternative.  We arranged our cleaning lady through a company whose business is arranging hourly workers for various needs.  Cleaning, repairs, cooking, babysitting, what have you.  So whenever our regular cleaning lady was unavailable, the company would send a replacement.  The problem was, the company hired all sorts of people and the replacements they usually sent were terrible.  Last week our regular cleaning lady when back to her hometown to visit her family so they sent over someone else who was so terrible that Ghosted got really angry with the company and terminated their service.  So that means we now need to find a replacement and it has been really hard.  We would love to just hire the lady who was helping us before and pay her directly but that is obviously not allowed by her company so we need to find someone new.  

The general contractor at Ghostess' company introduced a team that he uses for cleaning after renovation work so we had them come over yesterday to see how they do.  Normally we hire a single person to come for 4 hours which is generally enough to get the whole house done.  Yesterday 2 people came and were there for almost 6 hours and only did 3 rooms.  At that point I told them it was enough and sent them off.  

It seems we need to keep looking :(

• Sad 6

Level 2 Ninja

3 hours ago, XBlackWidowX said:

Don't get discouraged, it always takes some time to find a good match, no matter who you're looking for ;)

Thanks, those are wise words.  We have made progress toward a solution but not finalized yet

----------------------------------------

My in-laws are snow birds, and spend their winters down in Sanya, the southernmost point in China.  Now that winter is over they are coming back up to Beijing where they live in the building next to ours.  They will arrive tomorrow evening, so in preparation for that we wanted to help them get their apartment all cleaned up.  We used to same crew that were super slow at our place on Friday, and as expected it took them a loooooong time to finish.  This time they had 3 people and it still took them 6.5 hours to clean the place.   At least the in-laws will be able to come back and have their place all sparkly and clean

• Like 7

Level 2 Ninja

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

My in-laws are snow birds, and spend their winters down in Sanya, the southernmost point in China.  Now that winter is over they are coming back up to Beijing where they live in the building next to ours.  They will arrive tomorrow evening, so in preparation for that we wanted to help them get their apartment all cleaned up.  We used to same crew that were super slow at our place on Friday, and as expected it took them a loooooong time to finish.  This time they had 3 people and it still took them 6.5 hours to clean the place.   At least the in-laws will be able to come back and have their place all sparkly and clean

Wow, you're in China too! What a coincidence!

And I was in Sanya in January xD Did your in-laws enjoy their stay there?

Wish you a nice reunion ;) I am sure they'll love the apartment being so clean.

• Like 1

Veni, vidi, vici. 

That sounds so stressful, both on the flight front and the cleaning front! Hope you get a cleaning solution that works soon!

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

On 4/14/2023 at 9:24 PM, WhiteGhost said:

It seems we need to keep looking :(

Maybe the possession is running rampant through house cleaning crews.... heheh...

That being said that sounds SUPER stressful and I hope you guys find a solution soon. ❤️ 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, XBlackWidowX said:

Wow, you're in China too! What a coincidence!

And I was in Sanya in January xD Did your in-laws enjoy their stay there?

Wish you a nice reunion ;) I am sure they'll love the apartment being so clean.

It's a small world :)   Was it your first time to Sanya?  We usually go there every year either in October or over CNY.

18 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

That sounds so stressful, both on the flight front and the cleaning front! Hope you get a cleaning solution that works soon!

Yeah, definitely stressful.  The worst part about the flight was that the Chairman ended up getting sick and she never got have her meeting with him, pretty much negating the entire purpose of the trip.

16 hours ago, shaar said:

Maybe the possession is running rampant through house cleaning crews.... heheh...

That being said that sounds SUPER stressful and I hope you guys find a solution soon. ❤️ 

There is something going on, and it seems that only Phantom is clued in on it.  Come on, Phantom, give us a clue!!!!

-------------------------------

Yesterday's story is about piano practiceGhostess was so excited after her earlier practice session so she found a bunch of Tiktok tutorials and spent the whole afternoon and well into the evening practicing different songs.  A few of them she even managed to get really good at.  So good, in fact, she called her parents to get them to listen :D  In the evening I had D&D but I had to keep my microphone muted almost the whole time because of the ongoing paino music in the background.  I hope it wasn't too distracting for everyone else.  In the end, she had to stop practicing, not because she was tired but because Wraith couldn't take it anymore.  The keyboard is in the same room with Wraith and normally she doesn't mind if we are in there for a while.  After about 5 or 6 hours, though, she couldn't take it and started covering her head with her paws and meowling super loud until Ghostess put the keyboard away :D  

• Haha 11

Level 2 Ninja

WRAITH HAHAHAHA poor thing was like, enough is enough!! 🤣🤣

Thats so cool that she’s excited about practicing though, I have actually been toying with the idea of getting a keyboard too!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Everybody is a critic

She didn't have to be so rude about it, she could have made a passive aggressive post about it on Facebook like everyone else :D

9 hours ago, shaar said:

WRAITH HAHAHAHA poor thing was like, enough is enough!! 🤣🤣

Thats so cool that she’s excited about practicing though, I have actually been toying with the idea of getting a keyboard too!

She was very patient :D

I am amazed at the resources available to beginners now.  I am now looking for songs that I always thought were beyond my skill and going to give them a try.

---------------

Recently Ghostess bought an electric scooter (skateboard with handlebars kind) for some reason I have yet to understand so I decided to give it a try yesterday.  

The place I as told to go to renew my diving license was only a few kilometers away so I hopped on the scooter and headed over.  When I got there There were 63 people in line in front of me and when I took my number they told me it was very likely I wouldn't even be able to renew there because my current passport number doesn't match the one on my license.  They said I could wait in line and try if I wanted, though.  I had just spent an hour on the scooter coming over and didn't have anything else scheduled for the day so I figured I might as well give it a go.  Luckily the line went pretty fast and after only an hour wait I was told that, as expected, I need to go the office where my license was issued, way over on the other side of town.  I was emotionally prepared for this so I got exact directions and headed back home.

As I got about 1km away from my house, the scooter ran out of battery.  I figured I as going to have to just walk it home but soon discovered that I could kick it along like a regular skateboard (albeit a much heavier one).  It didn't take too long to get the rest of the way home, but boy were my legs tired.  It was probably the most cardio I have had since covid started :D

• Like 10

Level 2 Ninja

On 4/18/2023 at 2:23 PM, Lara said:

Loving your stories!

Thanks  :)

---------------

Yesterday Ghostess was feeling bad for Wraith who isn't happy about being locked in her room for several weeks now, and decided to let her out for a while.  She was fine all at and we were thinking about letter her stay out for the night as all when she decided to pick a fight with Phantom.  Because of this, we had to lock her back in her room but after having had a taste of freedom she wasn't going to go back in quietly and so she spent the rest of the night banging on the gate trying get out. 

We did not get much sleep   

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Level 2 Ninja

20 hours ago, XBlackWidowX said:

That's a good thing about queues in China, right? xD They go pretty fast. 

When they are fast they do.  When they are slow they go really slow (See below)

20 hours ago, XBlackWidowX said:

So what about the scooter, will you use it again? Was it fun?

I don't know that I would call it fun, but it was certainly convenient.  I will use ot when I need to go to places around the neighborhood that are too close to drive but would take too long to walk

-------------------------------------------------------

Hooboy, yesterday was a day, no mistake about that.

I headed over to the traffic place in the morning.  The directions I got from the place the other day was the traffic control center in Shibalidian.  It turns out that Shibalidian is a big neighborhood and has 3 different traffic control centers.  I guessed poorly and went to both of the wrong ones before finally getting to the right one.  When I got in there with all of my paperwork, they informed me that I still needed a copy of my residency permit.  The thing is, ever since the pandemic, they stopped requiring everyone to have a hard copy of the residence permit and it has all gone digital.  Well, almost all, because the DMV still needs a paper copy.  I had to run all all the way back over to the West side to the police station where I am registered to get my certificate printed.  When I got there, there were only 6 people in line in front of me, but the line was slower than molasses.   It took a full hour to get to my turn, only to be informed that the police station no longer prints those and if I need one for a drivers license I need to go the entry/exit administration and get one from there.    At the entry/exit administration I was informed that the drivers license residency permits are only good for the day they are issued, and by this time there was no way I was going to make it back to Shibalidian before they closed.   

To be continued...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Angry on your Behalf 4

Level 2 Ninja