Artemis Prime's Book of Spells

Hello, all. Stomach is feeling better today, think there's a minor 24 hour bug going around. Sharks hit this morning, which I expected. We completed our grant application at work today, which is a huge load off. It means I have my lunch breaks back again, but I still haven't been writing because the next scene is the introduction of the Lost Prince, who's kind of an arrogant jerk but he's not supposed to be completely unlikeable, just mildly irritating, which is a tricky balance to maintain. Wasn't feeling great when I got home last night, but decided to do a bit of barn work anyways, and the fresh air and exercise seemed to help. I called it quits a little earlier than I'd like, but my knee is feeling better and I didn't want to overdo it again. And I'm about 2/3 done with the roof deck.

20230410_183301.thumb.jpg.0f5273c8df8db3c2402a2acd76f868b6.jpg

Going to my sister's for dinner tonight. It's gorgeous here today, so probably just going to use the time in between work and dinner to soak up a little sun.

• Like 6

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

That barn looks amazing so far. Great job!

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Roams Among the Trees

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

On 4/11/2023 at 5:54 PM, MaeradCase said:

Glad you're feeling better! I wish you the best with making the prince character properly irritating, and not fully loathesome!

On 4/12/2023 at 8:46 AM, Salinger said:

Barn looking sexy!!!

Hope you have a lovely dinner this eve :) 

and enjoy the sun. xx

On 4/14/2023 at 9:22 AM, Sepherina said:

That barn looks amazing so far. Great job!

Thanks, guys! Last week was gorgeous here, so I got lots of barn work done. Finished the roof sheathing on Saturday, which feels good. But it was exhausting working on it all week. Did not get much of anything else done. Weather has taken a turn here, which I don't entirely mind as it gives me a chance to rest and catch up on a few other things. I did get my trim ordered, so as soon as that gets here, we can start on siding. I need to pick up some sealant and pan head screws so that we can get the windows in first. There's a few odds and ends I can pick away at while waiting for the trim, but some nice weather while I'm waiting would also give me a chance to do some garden prep. The fence needs redone, and I didn't do much with it last year, so the weeds have pretty well taken over. 

This week, going to focus on cleaning and writing, with a couple lifting sessions thrown in for good measure.

• Like 2

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

Happy Thursday, everyone! I have been dragging this week, just low energy and not terribly motivated, but I am feeling positively chipper this morning. This sun is out, it's a beautiful day, I took tomorrow off because it's my birthday, I'm planning to treat myself to a big, fat burger for lunch, and once I get home tonight, I don't have to leave my house until Sunday. Going to put some windows in my barn, maybe do some gardening, cleaning, and/or writing, and a whole lot of whatever else I feel like. 

• Like 2

Happy Birthday!  

Celebrate Happy Birthday GIF by Best Friends Animal Society

• Thanks 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Roams Among the Trees

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Happy Week 5! Got kind of derailed over the weekend. Had an allergic reaction to something, which happens fairly regularly as I have pretty sensitive skin, but it hit me harder than usual over the weekend and I ended up taking a sick day yesterday to go see my doctor and get some meds. Already much improved today and back at work. I did get a decent bit of cleaning done, though, and on Friday I tested out how I want to do my barn siding and am very happy with how it's going to look.

Before all that hit, though, Friday was an interesting day. I had big plans of enjoying the beautiful weather on my birthday and getting some windows installed on my barn, but it turns out that the hardware store did not have what I needed in stock, which was frustrating. Ended up salvaging the barn time by playing with siding options, but first I went on a walk through the woods, because I recognized that if I tried to work on it while I was still frustrated I'd just end up making poor choices. So, points that I have reached the level of self-awareness that I know when I need to take a step back and work through my mood. Sat in the woods for a while, which I haven't been taking time for, and I miss it. I am a better person when I walk under trees. And did some introspection, because I like to take some time on my birthday to kind of evaluate how I'm doing on my major life goals and where I want to go moving forward.

1. Publishing - I really enjoy storytelling. I have a natural knack for it, and I'd still like to polish and publish someday. But while I used to hope that it would become my primary income, these days I have a job that I enjoy that pays pretty well, and I don't intend to turn writing into a career. So I'm going to put less pressure on myself to turn this into a checklist item and instead just enjoy the creative process, because I am also a better person when I tell stories. That could mean working on one of my novel drafts, or just scribbling and drabbling, or even RPGs. 

2. Work - I really enjoy my work, and the people I work with. And having that solid base of fulfilling work and steady income really takes a load off. Yesterday was the first time I was at the doctor's with insurance since I aged out of my parent's policy, and it was fantastic. I paid $7 for 2 prescriptions. So while I may not whistle while I work every single day I'm at the office, it's good to take some time to appreciate what I have here.

3. Church - I've really enjoyed this little interlude where I settle into a new congregation and don't throw myself 110% into everything at church. But I'm starting to chomp at the bit to get more involved. I've been taking some of the load off my pastor's wife when it comes to the women's ministry, and so far it's going really well. The summer will be a break time, and then I plan to hit fall running with the retreat in October and starting the process of becoming a vocational deacon. My pastor gave me a book to read on it, and it feels like what I've always wanted to do, and I'm very excited to pursue it.

4. Home - I'm still not trying to put a deadline on when I'll finally be in my apartment, but I'm very excited about having my own little space. However, while the barn is going to remain a big priority and time sink until it's done, I do need to be purposeful about making time for other things, like those walks in the woods and gardening. Indoor stuff, too, but I mostly do those when the weather isn't conducive to barn building. My outside hobbies have suffered greatly though, because I feel like when the weather is nice I have to be getting stuff done on the building. In the long run, though, I will be much the better if I move into my apartment a little later but have taken the time for things I enjoy that will leave me relaxed, happier, and more productive.

5. Family - I have always put a very high priority on my family, which isn't at all a bad thing, but I think perhaps I need to be a little more protective of my time. I do have a pretty flexible schedule, all things considered, so I'm very quick to rearrange things as needed, and I'll aways be available to them if it truly is needed, but for minor things, I think it's time for me to be a little quicker to just tell them, "I'm sorry, that's not convenient for me." I've been telling myself that this will be easier when I'm in my apartment and I'll form some new boundaries then, but honestly, that's more of an excuse to not do it now, so I'm just going to do it now.

6. Fitness - Since this is a fitness forum, I guess I should include some of that too. I'm happy with my current body comp. I'd like to improve my cardio conditioning. I'd like to continue to get stronger. I have trouble balancing a regular fitness routine with my other interests/responsibilities in the summer, when a lot of my other activities are weather dependent and my schedule gets pretty erratic. I'm okay with leaving my serious lifting for winter time and just doing what I can to maintain in nice weather. 

Reading back over this, I started the first 3 points with really enjoying something. All in all, life is good, random allergic reactions notwithstanding. Having this community here is definitely a big check in the good column. Thanks for being along for the ride. I've got plans for how I'm going to incorporate these introspective musings into my next challenge, but to finish out this one, I'm going to focus on:

1. Private Sanctum - the room is much improved. I'd like to finish clearing the chair, my dresser, and my desk. I'll give myself zero week of next challenge if I need some extra time to wrap it up.

2. Spellbook - Have 3 creative sessions this week, whatever that ends up looking like.

3. Cantrips - Been doing well on making my bed. Skincare looks a little different this week as I finish fighting off this rash, but it still counts as skincare.

4. Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion - Still waiting for my trim boards to arrive, but I have a couple little things I can pick away at while I wait, plus routing my siding whenever I've got a bit of time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

Happy Week 5! Got kind of derailed over the weekend. Had an allergic reaction to something, which happens fairly regularly as I have pretty sensitive skin, but it hit me harder than usual over the weekend and I ended up taking a sick day yesterday to go see my doctor and get some meds. Already much improved today and back at work. I did get a decent bit of cleaning done, though, and on Friday I tested out how I want to do my barn siding and am very happy with how it's going to look.

Before all that hit, though, Friday was an interesting day. I had big plans of enjoying the beautiful weather on my birthday and getting some windows installed on my barn, but it turns out that the hardware store did not have what I needed in stock, which was frustrating. Ended up salvaging the barn time by playing with siding options,

Sorry to hear you had allergic reactions and a sad trip to the hardware store, but glad you were able to see a doctor and find another direction to take.

but first I went on a walk through the woods, because I recognized that if I tried to work on it while I was still frustrated I'd just end up making poor choices. So, points that I have reached the level of self-awareness that I know when I need to take a step back and work through my mood.

Many, many points. 🌟 Gold star for top notch insight.

Sat in the woods for a while, which I haven't been taking time for, and I miss it. I am a better person when I walk under trees. And did some introspection, because I like to take some time on my birthday to kind of evaluate how I'm doing on my major life goals and where I want to go moving forward.

❤ That sounds lovely

1. Publishing - I really enjoy storytelling. I have a natural knack for it, and I'd still like to polish and publish someday. But while I used to hope that it would become my primary income, these days I have a job that I enjoy that pays pretty well, and I don't intend to turn writing into a career. So I'm going to put less pressure on myself to turn this into a checklist item and instead just enjoy the creative process, because I am also a better person when I tell stories. That could mean working on one of my novel drafts, or just scribbling and drabbling, or even RPGs. 

4. Home - I'm still not trying to put a deadline on when I'll finally be in my apartment, but I'm very excited about having my own little space. However, while the barn is going to remain a big priority and time sink until it's done, I do need to be purposeful about making time for other things, like those walks in the woods and gardening. Indoor stuff, too, but I mostly do those when the weather isn't conducive to barn building. My outside hobbies have suffered greatly though, because I feel like when the weather is nice I have to be getting stuff done on the building. In the long run, though, I will be much the better if I move into my apartment a little later but have taken the time for things I enjoy that will leave me relaxed, happier, and more productive.

6. Fitness - Since this is a fitness forum, I guess I should include some of that too. I'm happy with my current body comp. I'd like to improve my cardio conditioning. I'd like to continue to get stronger. I have trouble balancing a regular fitness routine with my other interests/responsibilities in the summer, when a lot of my other activities are weather dependent and my schedule gets pretty erratic. I'm okay with leaving my serious lifting for winter time and just doing what I can to maintain in nice weather. 

😆

Reading back over this, I started the first 3 points with really enjoying something. All in all, life is good, random allergic reactions notwithstanding. Having this community here is definitely a big check in the good column. Thanks for being along for the ride. I've got plans for how I'm going to incorporate these introspective musings into my next challenge,

I'll look forward to that! Mine is going to see me putting myself back into the hamster wheel of exercise.

but to finish out this one, I'm going to focus on:

1. Private Sanctum - the room is much improved. I'd like to finish clearing the chair, my dresser, and my desk. I'll give myself zero week of next challenge if I need some extra time to wrap it up.

2. Spellbook - Have 3 creative sessions this week, whatever that ends up looking like.

3. Cantrips - Been doing well on making my bed. Skincare looks a little different this week as I finish fighting off this rash, but it still counts as skincare.

4. Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion - Still waiting for my trim boards to arrive, but I have a couple little things I can pick away at while I wait, plus routing my siding whenever I've got a bit of time.

Sounds like your wizardry has been put to good use! Good work, Artemis!

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace