aka "how the hell do we still have over 40 days of school left in this year?!?!?!"

Okay, it's only 41. So sue me. But 40 is Biblical for "a really fucking long time" for a reason. 

Other things happening during this challenge: the end of my grad school semester is barely after this challenge ends (May 2nd)
IVF transfer #2 is (hopefully) next week, pending tomorrow morning's test results.
My son's kindergarten enrollment night is tomorrow but it's been kind of a big deal around the house because he is absolutely terrified of the transition to elementary school.
The boy's soccer and baseball seasons are now officially in full swing, which means 3 practices and up to 4 games every week. 
My youngest niece will have her 1st birthday party, which is always a bit painful (you know, with the whole infertility thing) but should also be fun - her mom is one of my favorites, so that will help!
At the changing of the month, we will be at my husband's curriculum meeting out of town (long story short, our state government is passing stupid laws so now government teachers across the state have to re-do their curriculum and he managed to get on the official committee to lead this which is both super awesome and slightly annoying).
And the state camping season opens back up on April 1st so we are heading out for Good Friday-Easter Saturday, as has been our opening tradition for the last few years (though might die next year with a slightly-too-early Easter...we'll see!)

Quests for this challenge!
Quest One: Movement

Dropping the yoga and running for purposes of the transfer, but I do have...

1. walk at least 91 miles total before the end of March 31st (the first check in for my year-long challenge) - I am currently at 79.2 miles

2. Continue the 1+ miles per day (kinda) by the end of the challenge with 29 more miles on/after April 1st

I'd like to add a third one, but we'll see. I get really nervous around transfers (when high impact and/or twisting movements become No Good At All) and last time, the injection med made me stupidly angry - and not only am I still on it this go around, but I'm on a much higher dose of it, so...we'll see what I'm even mentally capable of by that point

Quest Two: Nutrition

I am under no delusions that I'm doing great here.

1. I've started increasing my caffeine consumption again (bad for my overall health and Super Bad for the transfer). This was partly due to exhaustion, partly due to hot coffee/cold soda being comfort items for me during a tough time, and partly because my husband cut down on his coffee consumption but is still making the same amount of coffee every day. To combat this, I am increasing my required daily water to ~24 ounces (3 mugs, more or less) and will be going on a hard caffeine limit after the transfer date.

2. When stressed, I also tend to turn to highly processed boxed food. Frozen garlic bread, pasta meals in bags (or just straight up boxed mac and cheese! I LOVE Annie's white cheddar shells...), lots of sugary cereals, pop-tarts and snack crackers like cheez-its...so my goal is that at least 3 times during this challenge, I will go an entire day without any of that. No boxes, bags, or other packages of highly processed stuff - ingredients that come in packaging are of course okay, like we eat a lot of canned beans for example. This will include non-homemade desserts like Easter candy though! Would like to think I can do this more than 3 days, but let's start low to be safe. 

Quest Three: Work/Languages

Oh, my old friend. How I love and hate this quest.

1. keep up with the weekly department Instagram posts - I think I've said before that this really isn't a "proper" quest anymore, but I keep on forgetting about it when I delete it so here it is again!
2. Rock out in Reckley's class - I have a bunch of tareas and discussion boards left, 2 exams (one opening tomorrow!), 1 essay, and a final project. Currently working on tarea 4 where I am 7 questions deep (out of 17); I also really need to knock out discussion board 3 and 4 ASAP, preferably today/this week

3. Spanish 2 Unit 6 - Putting my curriculum stuff on here seems to also help me get it done, so...let's rock it out. The order of units are changing over the summer but for right now, it's unit 6 (the sports unit). Units 6 and 7 are also a bit shorter due to needing to cut about 8 days from the quarter for finals at the end of the semester, so that should help a little bit too

4. Write ER quizzes up to #45 - I got to #28 last challenge, but the books are getting more complex, so 45 feels like a good start. (Refresher note - these are comprehension quizzes for all the Spanish-language books in my personal classroom library to better support my extensive reading program next school year)
5. Maya Erikson y el misterio del laberinto - I'd love to say I'll finish this during this challenge, but that feels like A Lot. So let's just start with finishing chapter 4 and go from there. Currently on page 77 and chapter 5 starts on page 95, that should not be a huge deal at all (especially considering one of my top reading times is Wednesday night, so I'd love to come on here tomorrow and tell you all I already have to bump it up!)

6. Grading - I don't really have a specific goal here, honestly, because it fluctuates so flipping much, but Lord knows I just need to get on this and hopefully by putting it here, I will start plowing through it a bit better. Currently behind on 3rd and 6th hours the most.

Quest Four: Home and Hobbies

My other favorite quest to hate because I usually do terribly at it, hahaha.

1. log cabin quilt - I finally got the top (and back!) done during last challenge. I decided it's not worth the cost to send it to the longarmer, so I'm hand-tying the thing. This, however, takes forever and a year, especially given that I am tying it at only 1.5 inch intervals because I might not love the design but I want it to be super durable for camping purposes. Currently about 117 knots in and my goal for this challenge is going to be to get to 450 knots, which will be approximately 1/4 of the overall quilt.

2. dog toys - fix at least 2 of the dog toys

3. garden/yard - I bought some seeds already (for our herbs/annual flowers) but I still need to buy some sort of grass or clover seed and decide how I'm going to move a maple tree seedling...we need to finish cutting down two dead trees, so I want to keep it if I can to help replace those, and then figure out what else I'll find or buy to replace the other one. I also want to at least price out some simple fountains or maybe a bird bath instead? And maybe a garden statue, I really want one of Artemis but that's probably too specific for now given our very tight budget. And my hummingbird feeder broke over the winter too...depending on our weather, some of this might happen at the end of this challenge, but a good bit of it is really just preparations for May.

• Like 2

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece Fights the Panic Spirals

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

55 minutes ago, kcaleece said:

aka "how the hell do we still have over 40 days of school left in this year?!?!?!"

Right?!?  I am so ready for spring break at the very least.  I try not to look as far ahead as summer.  It's too depressing.   We typically go until June 😭

Your challenge sounds crazy busy, but I am jealous of your camping tradition.  Sounds fun!

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Yeah, we just returned from spring break but ours is really short - just Friday, Monday, and Tuesday - on account of the fact we also get "Easter break" (Good Friday and Easter Monday) despite the fact we're a public school in the US and that is, in my opinion at least, a clearly religious purpose. So spring break is honestly not super restful just because it's not long enough to truly recharge *and* also get personal stuff done so you can feel like you're genuinely ready to come back. But we do try to get out fairly early in May (not stupid early, but usually around the 20th) on account of the fact we're about 60% agricultural and have a number of families who love to complain about how they need their kids to work on the farm over the summer. We haven't officially announced our last day of the semester yet, but we didn't have much in terms of snow this winter so I'm hoping they won't push it back!

And yeah, usually spring is a little less crazy than the fall because my husband's coaching season is over, but this year my kid's sports are absolutely insane. We have baseball practices on Sunday and Monday, soccer practices on Monday as well, and ninja classes on Wednesday evenings. Then we have soccer games on Saturdays and/or Sundays and the baseball game schedule isn't even out yet! It feels insane considering he's only 5 and in age-appropriate leagues...plus I go to grad school class on Tuesdays and Thursdays and stay late for extra-curricular clubs on Tuesdays and Wednesdays after work, and my husband stays late for building lead team meetings on Wednesdays. Fridays are beautiful oases sometimes!!

I am desperately looking forward to our camping trip as a way to regain a little bit of sanity during said long slog to summer :) Easter is often still pretty cold in Missouri but we pile on the blankets and head towards the southern border to take advantage of their extra 5-10 degrees. With the Easter Bunny coming, it's never as long of a trip as I would like, but it usually goes a long way to helping us finish the school year!

• Like 1

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

So last night wasn't too bad, except the child is apparently in a whiny phase. The last several days, he goes into full-blown meltdown over the tiniest little things (for example, being told to pause the TV because it was time to feed the dog). This morning, my doctor appointment was surprisingly fast and now I'm just waiting on test results. The ultrasound results are good - lining thickness is currently 11.3, which is just barely outside of the statistically ideal range (which is 8 to 11) but well within the "keep the transfer on the schedule" range of 7 to 14 (last month, I was barely in this range at 13.2) - but they won't confirm or cancel the transfer next week until the blood tests are back as well. Hopefully that will be soon, because they told me it would maybe be as early as "late this morning" and it's currently 2pm.

First challenge update!

1. 91 miles total before 3/31 - currently slightly behind at 81.3

2. 29 more miles on/after April 1st - on hold until April!

1. Daily water (24 ounces/3 mugs) - done yesterday!

2. 3 days without highly processed box foods - close yesterday but I missed a dessert. Today is also a miss because morning doctor appointments are tough for breakfast and I gave in with Pop-Tarts

1.  weekly department Instagram posts - posted a silly Spanish meme about spring weather
2. Rock out in Reckley's class - no progress made yet

3. Spanish 2 Unit 6 - no progress made yet

4. Write ER quizzes up to #45 - still on #28
5. Maya Erikson y el misterio del laberinto - I did finish chapter 4 last night! Woohoo! Chapter 6 starts on page 128 and I am currently on page 100 in chapter 5

6. Grading - I got some grading done for hours 3 and 6 as highlighted. Next goal: grade the Spanish 2 exams (listening sections done, readings sections started, writing and speaking sections still untouched)

1. log cabin quilt - still at 117/450 knots

2. dog toys - 0/2 done

3. garden/yard - nothing off the original list is done yet but I did buy a new cover last night for the fire pit after realizing the previous cover tore open sometime before the last storm and now the top of it has rusted. Will need to sand off the rust and spray paint it later, but the new cover will help too

• Like 1

It has been a busy but solid 24 hours!

The good - my son rocked it out at K enrollment last night! He was nervous for about 5 minutes but then warmed up because it was all teachers and only one other student at the time. He passed all his health checks and then he did the academic enrollment assessment. He scored a 91.5 out of 100 but 6 entire points got taken off because he writes his name in all capital letters and apparently the lack of lowercase letters means they weren't able to give him credit for writing his name at all?? (Then he also didn't know where his shoulders were, nor could he recite one of our phone numbers). Still, they told us that his Pre-K is doing a great job (though that honestly kinda annoyed me, because some of that was me and my husband) and he's going to start in the advanced reading group in August! They even gave him a free book to take home with a picture in it that a current K student drew for him to say "welcome to our school" which I thought was a really cool gesture. 

The slightly questionable - my blood tests came back good but a little bit weird. My progesterone, which is the most important one, came back low - which we wanted! - but it came back SO low that they're concerned it will spike back up soon, so I need to get another blood draw early Saturday morning to make sure it's staying low before I start the injection med on Saturday at noon. If it stays low and I get the green light to start my meds, the transfer will take place on March 30th! But they were also checking on my vitamin D, which was slightly low in December so I've been supplementing it for the last 3 months...and somehow, despite the 125% daily value I've been taking and my attempts to spend a little more time in the sun, it still went down instead of up?? Not by a lot, but geez! I was at 27 and yesterday I was at 26 (they want me to get to 30 or more, so it's not horribly far under, but vitamin D is what allows a baby to absorb calcium to build bones, so...pretty important!) So now we're going to try a bigger supplement and a check-in with my GI, since my Crohn's might be what's getting in the way (vit D is absorbed in the intestines, and mine are pretty effed up). 

The randomly fun - this morning was "Parent Day" at my son's Pre-K. We went to his classroom and he showed us all the different stations. Unfortunately, his teacher wasn't doing a great job of keeping track of time, and we didn't get to do the last station, which really upset him. But it was a paper where they were practicing finding the initial sound of words, so his teacher let us bring one home for him to do later. Still, it was tons of fun and he loved getting to see us in "his" setting where he's never seen us before!

Challenge update:

1. 91 miles total before 3/31 - officially on track (barely) at 83.6 miles

1. Daily water (24 ounces/3 mugs) - done yesterday, barely; haven't started yet today

2. 3 days without highly processed box foods - nope

1.  weekly department Instagram posts - I am gathering photos of today's Play-doh activity in French 1 for a Monday post
2. Rock out in Reckley's class - no progress made yet

3. Spanish 2 Unit 6 - not started

4. Write ER quizzes up to #45 - finished #30 just a few minutes ago :)
5. Maya Erikson y el misterio del laberinto - currently on page 100/128 in chapter 5

6. Grading - currently still on the Spanish 2 exams (listening and reading sections done, writing and speaking sections still untouched)

1. log cabin quilt - still at 117/450 knots

2. dog toys - 0/2 done

3. garden/yard - the seeds I bought arrived in the mail! Slightly annoyed that my milkweed seeds say "start indoors 6-8 weeks before the last frost" on the package but it did not say so online. It's too late now but I'll try my best anyway

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kcaleece said:

But they were also checking on my vitamin D, which was slightly low in December so I've been supplementing it for the last 3 months...and somehow, despite the 125% daily value I've been taking and my attempts to spend a little more time in the sun, it still went down instead of up?? Not by a lot, but geez! I was at 27 and yesterday I was at 26 (they want me to get to 30 or more, so it's not horribly far under, but vitamin D is what allows a baby to absorb calcium to build bones, so...pretty important!) So now we're going to try a bigger supplement and a check-in with my GI, since my Crohn's might be what's getting in the way (vit D is absorbed in the intestines, and mine are pretty effed up). 

Two other things could also be helpful to absorbing the D supplements: getting enough Magnesium and taking the Vitamin D with dietary fats (because it is fat-soluble).  So taking the vitamin with a meal having a healthy source of fat could boost absorption.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

On 3/24/2023 at 8:20 PM, Everstorm said:

Two other things could also be helpful to absorbing the D supplements: getting enough Magnesium and taking the Vitamin D with dietary fats (because it is fat-soluble).  So taking the vitamin with a meal having a healthy source of fat could boost absorption.

Huh, I have no idea what's up with my magnesium, but thanks for the fat-soluble tip! I started taking the bigger supplement with dinner (I was previously taking them right before my kid's bedtime) in hopes that will help a bit. And my husband is psyched for any reason to eat more avocado at dinner 😂

The weekend was busy but not too bad overall. We had a 40th birthday for our cousin/my kid's aunt (using Mexican logic of "anyone one generation above you is an aunt or uncle"), two soccer games, and a short babysitting gig. It was pretty solid except my husband and I are super angry with the soccer league. Practices have been nothing but fancy skills (scissors, Maradonas, etc.) and then they suddenly throw kids anywhere from 5 to 8 years old - which is already way too big of a range! - into games where they suddenly have refs, positions including goalkeepers, etc. that they have NEVER once even heard of before, but the organization keeps on insisting that footwork skills are more important than foundational skills and the basic rules of the game?!?!? The body language of my kid's entire team was of frustration, defeat, and on the brink of several meltdowns. My own kid was working super hard to blink back tears basically the entire time, he was so overwhelmed and confused. For non-soccer people, it's very much an "icing before the cake" kind of situation.

And when I complained to the coach and asked if they could do some of that in practice, she said that if she gets caught doing anything other than footwork skills during practice, she gets fired. Apparently the organizational opinion is that kids will figure out the basics on their own and if they don't, they don't want them anyway (this organization continues through high school and tries to be super competitive). We are absolutely furious about it but we already paid like $200 for the season, so we feel like we have to finish at least this one out and then look for another organization...thankfully at 5, there should be a lot more options than there were when he was younger.

Challenge update:

1. 91 miles total before 3/31 - officially on track and in a good position for a change at 87.9 miles! Mildly annoyed that I stopped at a .9 miles, but that was a couple of walks put together and I didn't realize it would add up that way until after I was done walking yesterday

1. Daily water (24 ounces/3 mugs) - fell 1 mug short on Friday, but have managed on Saturday and Sunday

2. 3 days without highly processed box foods - none yet but I'm trying for today! I have a muffin for breakfast and a ham sandwich for lunch, nothing too fancy but it should work. Just not sure what dinner will be yet...

1.  weekly department Instagram posts - not made yet
2. Rock out in Reckley's class - exam #2 finished yesterday! I'm technically at a 98% for the multiple choice section but she has to grade the short answer section by hand of course so we'll see what happens there

3. Spanish 2 Unit 6 - not started

4. Write ER quizzes up to #45 - finished #30
5. Maya Erikson y el misterio del laberinto - currently on page 100/128 in chapter 5

6. Grading - currently still on the Spanish 2 exams (listening and reading sections done, writing and speaking sections still untouched)

1. log cabin quilt - at 153/450 knots

2. dog toys - 0/2 done

3. garden/yard - technically no progress yet. I found some seeds for some ground-cover violets I want to get, but I didn't have my credit card on me at the time so I didn't actually put the order in yet. I really should do that today. Also I started researching squirrel-proof birdfeeders because my son really wants one, but holy shit are they stupid expensive (like $100+!) so that's probably not going to happen. Or maybe I'll find the cheapest version I can and just accept that we're also feeding the army of squirrels that live in our big maple trees.

• Wow 1

My husband has an on-going vendetta with the squirrels at our bird feeder.  They sure are determined and clever little buggers. 

It's funny you should mention the aunt/uncle thing.  My family did that as well. 

Good work getting the quilt knocked out.  It seems like you are making good progress there.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Yikes, that organisation knows nothing about football. Footwork like scissors and Maradonas are the least important skill to learn. Basic rules, positioning, ball control, passing, shooting, movement with and without the ball are FAR more important. If all the players can control the ball and pass it on, you don't even need to be able to dribble. A one-two with another player is always going to be more efficient than a dribble.

Sure it looks cool to do fancy moves, and some kids have the technique to dribble through multiple opponents, but most don't, and it's certainly not necessary if you've got all the basics down.

And above all: as long as they're under 12, they should just have fun. Going overboard with competitiveness this early will only have them burn out and quit football altogether.

• Like 2

Active challenges: Colour-coded for convenience | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

On 3/27/2023 at 12:44 PM, Everstorm said:

It's funny you should mention the aunt/uncle thing.  My family did that as well. 

Good work getting the quilt knocked out.  It seems like you are making good progress there.

The aunt/uncle thing really does make it easier! My husband and I are not even 100% sure of the cousin's biological relation to us, because anyone of the same generation is called cousin but her parents are not siblings with my mother-in-law...but they're family by whatever Mexican standards exist there so she's my prima and that's good enough :) 

And thanks! Part of me wanted to get it done before our first camping trip of the year, but that's a week from Friday, and...no. Not going to happen.

On 3/28/2023 at 2:22 AM, Ranger Hal said:

I'm angry hearing about the soccer league. That is so not cool. For kids that age, it seems like it should be mostly about having fun (and learning some of the basics).

On 3/28/2023 at 1:01 PM, TimovieMan said:

Yikes, that organisation knows nothing about football.

The soccer drama is continuing! We did not get a chance to submit our complaint on Monday, due to having work followed by multiple sports practices, but we did get an email from the director asking quite brusquely what the problem was (guess the coach told him we were mad). My husband wrote a draft of a response but we wanted to check it over before we sent it and there was no chance. Well, apparently he was upset about that, because yesterday I got an email saying that we never responded to him and now he's claiming he got a complaint *about* us so clearly we're the problem here? First of all, bullshit. Second of all, that's not how that works? I seriously want to say screw the money and pull the kid now, but my husband insists that it's a short season so we should just push through and never return. We did finally finish editing that email and sent it off, but from my husband's account, so I'm a little antsy to find out what reply we'll get...maybe it's a good thing we're going to miss the next two games due to going out of town?

Challenge update:

1. 91 miles total before 3/31 - almost there at 89.6 miles

1. Daily water (24 ounces/3 mugs) - doing pretty well here, mostly due to some big glasses at dinner

2. 3 days without highly processed box foods - 1 day officially in the books! Not sure if I didn't pack enough food or if my meds are kicking in (or both, as the munchies can be a side effect and it's also true I didn't have a ton of food with me) but I was definitely super hungry. I knocked it out though, yay!

1.  weekly department Instagram posts - not made yet, woops
2. Rock out in Reckley's class - tarea 4 finished

3. Spanish 2 Unit 6 - Introduction written and the first 5 days (minus standards) are set. I started to continue on past that but I think I might need to write out a bunch of them and then organize, because I have a bunch of resources and ideas but keep going back and forth on the order they should be presented in

5. Maya Erikson y el misterio del laberinto - currently on page 108/128 in chapter 5

6. Grading - currently still on the Spanish 2 exams (listening and reading sections done, writing barely started, speaking sections still untouched). French 1 exams are also mostly done with all of them in (minus a few kids who just took them today) except I haven started their speaking sections either

1. log cabin quilt - at 162/450 knots

2. dog toys - 0/2 done

3. garden/yard - nothing else done yet

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kcaleece said:

The soccer drama is continuing! We did not get a chance to submit our complaint on Monday, due to having work followed by multiple sports practices, but we did get an email from the director asking quite brusquely what the problem was (guess the coach told him we were mad). My husband wrote a draft of a response but we wanted to check it over before we sent it and there was no chance. Well, apparently he was upset about that, because yesterday I got an email saying that we never responded to him and now he's claiming he got a complaint *about* us so clearly we're the problem here? First of all, bullshit. Second of all, that's not how that works? I seriously want to say screw the money and pull the kid now, but my husband insists that it's a short season so we should just push through and never return. We did finally finish editing that email and sent it off, but from my husband's account, so I'm a little antsy to find out what reply we'll get...maybe it's a good thing we're going to miss the next two games due to going out of town?

A "never my fault" director. 🙄

If your kid was practically fighting back tears because of being unprepared for that match, then it could be better to pull him before he grows to dislike the sport as a whole.

Maybe ask how he feels? He needs to have fun, that's the most important thing...

• Like 1

Active challenges: Colour-coded for convenience | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

On 3/29/2023 at 2:25 PM, TimovieMan said:

A "never my fault" director. 🙄

If your kid was practically fighting back tears because of being unprepared for that match, then it could be better to pull him before he grows to dislike the sport as a whole.

Maybe ask how he feels? He needs to have fun, that's the most important thing...

Oh yeah, we finally got a response (a few days later, may I note). It's a short paragraph thanking us for being "thoughtful and well-spoken" but otherwise completely blowing us off. Which I'm not surprised about, honestly - I didn't think they'd actually change their curriculum, especially knowing this particular club (they've been around since my own playing days in the 90s and early 2000s). But part of my hope is that these complaints pile up over time and maybe something makes its way past their stubborn blinders.

He is also refusing to give us any more information about the complaint he supposedly got about us. My husband thinks either they got a complaint, but recognized it was stupid and were just hoping to shame us into dropping our own complaint; or maybe they got a complaint about someone else, assumed it was us since we're actively annoying them, and then realized it wasn't us when we asked and are hoping we'll drop it. I think he's just making the whole thing up honestly 🤷‍♀️ I've worked for too many shitty, egotistical bosses who would do something like that!

But the child says he still wants to play, and his coach at least understands our complaints even if she's too scared to lose her job to actually do anything about it. So while I'll definitely keep asking the kid, at least this season only goes to the end of April. Then we'll switch and try the local pro team's youth "leagues" again. They're only 4 week seasons, so not really a league yet, but the 5+ age ranges sound a lot better - they at least have phrases like "learn the basic mechanics" and "beginner dribbling and passing" in their online description. 

Challenge update:

1. 91 miles total before 3/31 - finished at 91.2 miles! Did I "cheat" a little bit? Sure did! I was about 0.4 miles short after our transfer, and I wasn't about to lose either one for something so silly, so I set my watch to track me and then put laundry away by carrying only one piece at a time to give me lots of excuses to walk around the house at a slow pace. Sorry not sorry!

2. 29 more miles on/after April 1st - currently at 1.3 miles after a good campus walk yesterday. It's so sunny today I'm hoping to go out later today as well!

1. Daily water (24 ounces/3 mugs) - doing pretty well here (still only short the 1 day, I'm kinda proud I actually got this knocked out yesterday despite being on the move/road literally all day long!)

2. 3 days without highly processed box foods - 1 day in the books. Technically on track for today though that wasn't an actual plan, so we'll see?

1.  weekly department Instagram posts - posted the Play-Doh outfits from last week, thinking about what to post this upcoming week...
2. Rock out in Reckley's class - no progress, mostly need to do discussion boards and start on the final project at this point

3. Spanish 2 Unit 6 - Introduction written and the first 5 days (minus standards) are set

5. Maya Erikson y el misterio del laberinto - currently on page 124/128 in chapter 5

6. Grading - currently still on the Spanish 2 exams (listening and reading sections done, writing barely started, speaking sections still untouched). French 1 exams are also mostly done with all of them in (minus a few kids who just took them today) except I haven started their speaking sections either

2. dog toys - 0/2 done

3. garden/yard - ground cover violet seeds purchased!

• Like 2

On 4/2/2023 at 3:08 PM, kcaleece said:

91 miles total before 3/31 - finished at 91.2 miles! Did I "cheat" a little bit? Sure did! I was about 0.4 miles short after our transfer, and I wasn't about to lose either one for something so silly, so I set my watch to track me and then put laundry away by carrying only one piece at a time to give me lots of excuses to walk around the house at a slow pace. Sorry not sorry!

Steps are steps.  Good job!

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

18 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Steps are steps.  Good job!

Thanks Ever!

Soccer practice on Monday felt...tense. It could have been because it's at what's essentially a warehouse with some fields slapped in it, which made it very crowded and hot on the first 80 degree day of the year. And for whatever reason, there were twice as many kids there (meaning twice as many parents too). There are 6 kids on my son's team, including him, but yesterday 12 showed up with no warning. Coach was having a hard time controlling practice, everyone was grumpy, and my kid sure as heck looked overwhelmed and confused as nearly all those kids were older than him and he also doesn't do well with large numbers of unknown people (though insisted he was having fun and feeling confident when I took him to a potty break and asked a few times in different ways, because I was fully ready to just go home right then and there).

Oh and my husband heard from the league director again - apparently the complaint was that "a parent was on the field at either a practice or a game and it was disruptive". They don't have a date this happened, field number, team name, description of what that parent supposedly looked like, anything! So clearly it must have been us 🙄 And the director first accused us the day after my kid's next practice, implying it was a problem at that most recent practice, and I can guarantee you no parents were on the field at that practice at all. My husband did get the phone number for the next guy up the chain, since this is a city-wide club for anyone between 2 and 18 years old and the guy we've been talking to is just the head of our age division, but I don't think it's actually going to change anything. 

Baseball practice later that same evening was sooooo much better. Granted, it was outside, so plenty of space and air always helps. But there are like 4 coaches (all parent volunteers) for vaguely 15 boys? and the attitude is so much more personable and comfortable. We might have lucked out with the head coach, of course, but I genuinely think it's more of an organizational culture thing. It's just the city league but so far there has been so much more emphasis on teaching useful skills (they're working on hitting the ball not on a tee and catching fly balls), letting kids practice a billion times until they at least kinda get it, being really encouraging, etc. 

Challenge update:

1. 91 miles total before 3/31 - finished at 91.2 miles

2. 29 more miles on/after April 1st - currently at 3.5 miles, almost on track (should be at 4 by the end of the day, but if I count my walk to my grad school class I will likely only be slightly under that. Hoping to get there a bit early to walk a touch more)

1. Daily water (24 ounces/3 mugs) - doing pretty well here (still only short the 1 day)

2. 3 days without highly processed box foods - 2 days down! I actually failed on the last day I posted about but knocked this one out yesterday. I am a little bit surprised to find that my downfall so far has been snacks and desserts. I felt like I turned to box dinners more than I appear to actually be doing, but I hadn't realized how frequently I grab something super processed for non-meal nibbles. This is probably not helped by my current meds which put me into a 3 week state of constant munchies. 

1.  weekly department Instagram posts - no post yet, might do the Pete the Cat book French 1 is reading?
2. Rock out in Reckley's class - no progress, though this does start back up today after their spring break last week so I'm sure I'll get stuff

3. Spanish 2 Unit 6 - Introduction written and now all the days (minus standards) are set!

4. Write ER quizzes up to #45 - finished #33
5. Maya Erikson y el misterio del laberinto - currently on page 129/149 in chapter 6!

6. Grading - currently still on the Spanish 2 exams (listening, reading, and speaking sections done, writing still barely started). French 1 exams are also mostly done with most of them in except I still haven't started their speaking sections

2. dog toys - 0/2 done

3. garden/yard - went on the hunt for clover seed yesterday and have discovered online ordering is probably going to be best

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kcaleece said:

went on the hunt for clover seed yesterday and have discovered online ordering is probably going to be best

I wish I could send you our clover...we have more than we want lol 

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

17 hours ago, Everstorm said:

I wish I could send you our clover...we have more than we want lol 

Haha, and we can't find any at all! Even the guy who runs our favorite local nursery just shook his head and said, "man, if I had any, I'd keep it for my own yard" LOL. My husband got the idea to try one more farm supply company in the town where I work, but we've already hit up the main two in our town with no luck, so it'll probably be an online order anyway. Our yard gets these awful bare patches in a few spots no matter how much grass we plant, so we figure it's worth a try. Plus it looks nice and helps support the bees and bunnies! And we have no HOA in our neighborhood to bitch at us, which helps too. (outside of my mother-in-law who cannot wrap her head around the idea that we aren't chemically treating our lawn to kill off all the "weeds")

Also! I got a 100% on my unit 2 exam! I was not expecting that! She must have changed something in the multiple choice section, because my previous max should have been a 96% even if I got a 100% on the short answers. Yay! 🥳

Not a ton of challenge updates to make, but here's what I've got:

2. 29 more miles on/after April 1st - currently at 4 miles! I think that's my watch rounding for me, actually, because I'm pretty sure it should actually be 3.9. I did take a slightly longer walk to grad class last night though, so maybe I made it.

1. Daily water (24 ounces/3 mugs) - doing pretty well here (still only short the 1 day)

2. 3 days without highly processed box foods - 2 days down

1.  weekly department Instagram posts - no post yet, might do the Pete the Cat book French 1 finished
2. Rock out in Reckley's class - tarea 7 done last night, yay!

3. Spanish 2 Unit 6 - Introduction written and now all the days (minus standards) are set

4. Write ER quizzes up to #45 - finished #33
5. Maya Erikson y el misterio del laberinto - currently on page 129/149 in chapter 6

6. Grading - currently still on the Spanish 2 exams (listening, reading, and speaking sections done, writing is about halfway done now). French 1 exams are also mostly done with most of them in except I still haven't started their speaking sections

2. dog toys - 0/2 done

3. garden/yard - nothing else yet, I got distracted by ordering my kid an adorable axolotl themed shirt lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kcaleece said:

Also! I got a 100% on my unit 2 exam! I was not expecting that! She must have changed something in the multiple choice section, because my previous max should have been a 96% even if I got a 100% on the short answers. Yay! 🥳

Oh, well done!  I know you were nervous about this course.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Thanks! Like I said in my last thread, I'm not entirely convinced my good grades are because I rock at music history or Spanish - this professor is amazing but clearly does not care about pesky things like grades - but I'm still thankful for the early boost to my overall scores in the program! Now I wait anxiously for the essay grades to come out...

Still not a lot of challenge updates to make, but I will likely be spotty over the next few days due to camping and I'm tired of being at work today anyway, so let's update!

2. 29 more miles on/after April 1st - currently at 4 miles

1.  weekly department Instagram posts - posted the Pete the Cat book French 1 read this week. I rather liked my post but it didn't get much attention - clearly I have a lot to learn in the social media game.
2. Rock out in Reckley's class - started brainstorming for my final project

3. Spanish 2 Unit 6 - Introduction written and now all the days (minus standards) are set

4. Write ER quizzes up to #45 - finished #37
5. Maya Erikson y el misterio del laberinto - currently on page 129/149 in chapter 6

6. Grading - currently still on the Spanish 2 exams (listening, reading, and speaking sections done, writing is about halfway done now). French 1 exams are also mostly done with most of them in except I still haven't started their speaking sections

2. dog toys - 0/2 done

3. garden/yard - got some grass seed (leftover from last year) spread to at least try to mitigate something while we have some good weather and are waiting for orders to arrive

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 1:34 PM, Everstorm said:

Enjoy your trip!  I hope you have great weather this year.

Thank you! In classic spring weather patterns, it was really nice during the afternoons. Night and morning were around the freezing mark though, and my husband (who packed for both him and the child) didn't bother checking the weather 🤦‍♀️ so they were both quite cold. Thankfully I had packed a bunch of blankets and I also had my "sweatshirt blanket" (one of these that my sister-in-law gave me for Christmas because I'm always cold!) so I could layer up under that and give the child my thicker sweatshirt that I had packed for myself. 

In other news, I'm waiting for the transfer results from this last round of IVF 🤞😭🤞 Had the blood draw this morning to find out if this embryo has taken or not. Last month they called around 2:15 and it's currently 1:45...I will update here as soon as they do call! I got my teaching contract for next year today and also got a major issue with my W2 taken care of, so my husband keeps on saying good things come in threes...

2. 29 more miles on/after April 1st - currently at 7.4 miles, so falling a decent chunk behind. Easter was super busy and then yesterday was thunderstorming all day. It's supposed to be super nice the rest of the week though so hopefully I can catch up!

1. Daily water (24 ounces/3 mugs) - I thiiiiiink I did this yesterday, I did a terrible job of measuring but I'm reasonably sure enough that I'm going with it and saying I'm still only short 1 day

1.  weekly department Instagram posts - posted one of my French 1 students dressed up for our shopping role-plays today!
2. Rock out in Reckley's class - 1/20 entries done for the final project

4. Write ER quizzes up to #45 - finished #37
5. Maya Erikson y el misterio del laberinto - currently on page 138/149 in chapter 6

1. log cabin quilt - at 270/450 knots! The fact my kid had school yesterday and I didn't helped a LOT...

2. dog toys - 0/2 done

3. garden/yard - I bought a new hummingbird feeder since my previous one broke over the winter as well as another planter so I can put one closer to where the new feeder will go and hopefully draw in a few more hummingbirds than I did last year

• Like 2

Holy FUCK you all I am PREGNANT AGAIN! Both transfers we've tried so far have now implanted! The odds of that happening are only about 20% but that's exactly what happened anyway!!! And my hCG numbers are SKY high this time - last month, when we lost the implanted embryo, they wanted to see above 50 but we started at 25 and dropped to 10. This morning I tested at above 700! (Honestly I was still trying to process the first shock so I forgot the exact number the nurse said and it's not in my portal yet. But it was definitely 700-something!) We still have to test again on Thursday morning to check for growth in that number, though the nurse did let me know it might not actually double with a starting number that high - anything above 60% growth is "on track" at this point. 

Of course, because I can never relax when it comes to this shit anymore, I am now immediately freaking out about how too high of an hCG number can also actually be a bad thing, and >700 is definitely above normal. But the most likely bad reason to have an hCG number that high is a molar pregnancy, which is stupid rare - about 1 in 1,000, according to a quick Google. And the nurse said my numbers looked amazing and did not sound even the tiniest bit concerned. Still, I've had similar stats hit before, so "but it's rare!" isn't that comforting anymore, and after 3 losses (out of 4 pregnancies), I think it's natural to be pessimistic. 

But you know what else is a common cause of higher-than-average hCG? Twins! Could it be...? We only transferred one embryo but natural splits can happen. We always hoped for 3 kids, so twins sound wonderfully efficient for that goal considering our ages and how incredibly hard fought it has been to get to this point. But sometimes you just get singletons with weirdly high hCG too 🤷‍♀️ How I hate the uncertainty of fertility bullshit! My mental health is going to be so much better once we decide we're done having kids, I swear to the gods. But for now, I am back to white-knuckling my way through the next few days and trying my best to stay positive and hopeful. If this pregnancy is viable, I'll be due shortly before winter break in December 🤞🤞

• That's Metal 3

On 4/11/2023 at 3:58 PM, Ranger Hal said:

Congratulations! I'm hoping for continued good news on Thursday!

Thank you!! Me too 🤞🤞 Statistically, we should be fine. However, stats are sometimes wrong and overly generalized...
second blood draw complete and now I'm just waiting for the call...I have probably 5 and a half hours, lol, so I'm just hanging on until then but I'm already in a bit of an anxious panic. I will be this way until the pregnancy ends, honestly - just hoping that's not until December! In terms of today's test, we're hoping for a result above 1100 🤞 I had stomach issues yesterday which could have been my Crohn's just deciding to act up at the same time, could have been early "morning" sickness due to the high hCG number, or it could have been my Crohn's being pissed off that I'm pregnant 🤷‍♀️ It likely had nothing to do with the embryo's continuing development, but of course I'm going to worry anyway. (It gets a little better once the baby is big enough to feel, but to be honest I finally relaxed about my son's ability to survive when he was about 6 months old and I've lost two more babies since then...)

• Like 1

The call came early! And the numbers look good! The blood draw on Tuesday was 737 and today's draw came back at 1,754 - a doubling rate of every 1.7 days, which is right on track with the ideal goal of doubling every 2 days. My progesterone did drop, but only from 40 to 36 and the nurse assured me that was not only totally normal (apparently your progesterone is supposed to change multiple times over the course of the day) but the "oh shit" level is 15 so I'm still well above that. The nurse also let me know that I am 5 weeks on Saturday, which is slightly ahead of where I thought I was (I thought today was 4 weeks and 3 days, but the nurse says it's 4 weeks and 5 days) which makes my potential due date December 16th ❤️ No more blood draws for the time being, but we get to have our first ultrasound on April 27th 🤞 Hopefully I'll manage to not worry about the outcome for at least a few days in between now and then?

• Like 3