Elastigirl :Springs To A New Challenge

On 4/6/2023 at 8:57 PM, Elastigirl said:

I practiced my  cupcake decorating skills. It was fun, and I good way to be creative. I just have to remind myself that I am learning, so my first attempts are probably going to suck.And actually the practice flowers I did, look semi ok.

Enjoy the process.  The results will come in time.  

Have a blessed Easter!

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

15 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

njoy the process.  The results will come in time.  

Have a blessed Easter!

Truth, thanks!

You too!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 4/7/2023 at 2:01 AM, Silmarilliane said:

This is what a lot of my childhood looked like...

With singing we refer to 'the first pancake' where we accept the first run through of something is going to be fine and tasty, but not our finest work! The main thing is they're tasty though 😃

I didn't discover my love of frosting until I did my own decorating . 

Yes, they were tasty!

10 hours ago, Terra said:

It's good to see you being so consistent.  Hope you Easter was lovely!

Thanks, and hi!!! It's super good to see you. How was your Easter? How's everything going?

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Easter was lovely. We had family over, and a friend. I made this lamb roastHerb-Roasted Lamb Recipe | Ina Garten | Food Network Only instead of cooking it to 135 , I cooked it until the thermotmeter read 120. It was tender and amazing.I also did asparagus. And my cupcakes! They tasted very good. I struggled with the decorating. I was trying to make petals, and it wasn't working. And I really struggled with the inner petals. I figured out some of why I was struggling, so next time it will be better. The drawback is, it's not something I am going to do a lot, so it will be hard to improve. Not knowing what I was doing,I think when I looked at the ideas ,I picked one of the hardest ones. Next time I will pick an easier idea to do. But , the colors looked nice, and it wasn't awful20230408_140148.thumb.jpg.774033ed519e1cd196b764111849b1ab.jpg

• Like 8

Today's workout:

I'd had a little bit of back pain last week after doing kettlebell deadlift, so I rewatched some tutorials, and took a video of myself. I think my main issues were that I was placing the kettlebell too far forward, and while I set up good on the first rep,  after that I was sloppy. I took the weight down for the first two sets, and focused on form, and setting up properly  for each rep.T hat seemed to help.  Also,  the very last set of exercises is reverse lunges. I had been doing 12# , and the workout called for 12 reps, but I had only been able to do 8. If I start my workout with that it would be doable, but at the end of the workout, my legs were toast. So, today I did two 8# dumbbells, and that was about an RPE of 7, which is good.

Instead of walking I did a 30 minute easy row

I didn't track my protein in MFP, but I did weigh it, and know I got a good amount.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

I think your cupcakes look super cute! I respect that they may not have turned out exactly how you’d wanted them to, but you did really well! 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those cupcakes look delicious!

6 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I'd had a little bit of back pain last week after doing kettlebell deadlift, so I rewatched some tutorials, and took a video of myself. I think my main issues were that I was placing the kettlebell too far forward, and while I set up good on the first rep,  after that I was sloppy. I took the weight down for the first two sets, and focused on form, and setting up properly  for each rep.T hat seemed to help.  Also,  the very last set of exercises is reverse lunges. I had been doing 12# , and the workout called for 12 reps, but I had only been able to do 8. If I start my workout with that it would be doable, but at the end of the workout, my legs were toast. So, today I did two 8# dumbbells, and that was about an RPE of 7, which is good.

This right here is why you are such an inspiration. You are wise and patient with yourself and your workouts and that is a very admirable skill to have. 

• That's Metal 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

8 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I rewatched some tutorials, and took a video of myself. I think my main issues were that I was placing the kettlebell too far forward, and while I set up good on the first rep,  after that I was sloppy. I took the weight down for the first two sets, and focused on form, and setting up properly  for each rep.

This is a very good way to figure out form issues - I really should do this...

The cupcakes look tasty and I love the colours - in my exp, super polished professional cakes tend to be let down by the taste, I'd much prefer a tasty unprofessional looking cake any day!

• Like 2

Level 37 Rogue Ranger, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

On 4/10/2023 at 7:10 PM, Sovalis said:

I think your cupcakes look super cute! I respect that they may not have turned out exactly how you’d wanted them to, but you did really well! 

Thanks. Of course, I wanted them to look exactly like the picture, but yeah, I get that that's not a super realistic goal . 😉

17 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Those cupcakes look delicious!

This right here is why you are such an inspiration. You are wise and patient with yourself and your workouts and that is a very admirable skill to have. 

They were very tasty. Thanks. I do wish I'd started strength training when I was younger, but the thing about doing it at this point in my life is that I think 57 year old me approaches it with a lot more wisdom than 25 year old me would have!

16 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

This is a very good way to figure out form issues - I really should do this...

The cupcakes look tasty and I love the colours - in my exp, super polished professional cakes tend to be let down by the taste, I'd much prefer a tasty unprofessional looking cake any day!

Yes, it really does help.

Thanks. I decided to buy the Wilton  color gels,and I was really happy with the results. The colors were super pretty. 

• Like 1

Last  night before bed, my leg (quad) started to hurt. I took a turmeric pill and put some Bengay on it and went to sleep. I woke up in the night with a bad leg cramp. I put some more Bengay on it, stretched a bit, and took some Advil. I rarely take Advil these days. The good thing about taking it rarely is, my body responds super well to it. I was able to be back asleep in about a half hour. Which also says my Circadia rythmn is improving too. Woke up in the morning and it was fine. Did my workout, because it was arms anyway.

Went on a walk with my friend. It was cold, but the weather was decent. We even briefly saw the sun. Off in the north we saw some huge black clouds, but they were  in the distance. After our walk, my husband texted from work, and said it was hailing where he was. So, I was glad we weren't under the clouds! Hubby and I went for an after dinner walk. I have 13,00 steps 

My tenative plan had been to do my workouts for 5-6 weeks, and then take a deload. I'm at 4 weeks now.  Today in my workout I felt sluggish, and there was the DOMS in the middle of the night.  I think my body is telling me it is ready for the deload after the 4 weeks. I'm a bit bummed, especially since I took a 2 week deload on my vacation. But, even though I didn't work out, I didn't recover as much due to lack of sleep . I'm really trying to learn to listen to my body, but sometimes it's tough. However, I think during deload I will do the GMB's longevity program, and that will be fun. I haven't really done it much since starting the weight training, so it will be a good change of pace.

• Like 5

On 4/11/2023 at 9:52 AM, Elastigirl said:

Not knowing what I was doing,I think when I looked at the ideas ,I picked one of the hardest ones.

That's the thing about Internet recipes, right? Some things looks so easy, but when you do it yourself... xD

I rarely take Advil these days.

Did you stop taking painkillers all together? I'd like to do it too, but my periods are so bad, I can't really do without them 😕 And sometimes anxiety gives me really bad headaches.

My tenative plan had been to do my workouts for 5-6 weeks, and then take a deload. I'm at 4 weeks now.  Today in my workout I felt sluggish, and there was the DOMS in the middle of the night.  I think my body is telling me it is ready for the deload after the 4 weeks. I'm a bit bummed, especially since I took a 2 week deload on my vacation. But, even though I didn't work out, I didn't recover as much due to lack of sleep . I'm really trying to learn to listen to my body, but sometimes it's tough. However, I think during deload I will do the GMB's longevity program, and that will be fun. I haven't really done it much since starting the weight training, so it will be a good change of pace.

I think your body knows best what's good for you in a long run. I know it rarely fits to our ambitions, but hey, a short break is always better than a long one. Vacation is not a rest, it's like a turbo workout! Walking for all those hours, changing places, etc, it consumes so much energy.

What is GMB's longevity program? :)

• Like 1

Veni, vidi, vici. 

14 hours ago, XBlackWidowX said:

That's the thing about Internet recipes, right? Some things looks so easy, but when you do it yourself... xD

Did you stop taking painkillers all together? I'd like to do it too, but my periods are so bad, I can't really do without them 😕 And sometimes anxiety gives me really bad headaches.

I think your body knows best what's good for you in a long run. I know it rarely fits to our ambitions, but hey, a short break is always better than a long one. Vacation is not a rest, it's like a turbo workout! Walking for all those hours, changing places, etc, it consumes so much energy.

What is GMB's longevity program? :)

I didn't stop altogether, I still use them, I just try other pain killing methods first. For me, I'm old enough not to have periods anymore so that helps. But, when I had periods, and I also had chronic back pain, I took a lot of Advil. And I think that was contributing to my health issues. So, when I started working out with NF, and wanting to be healthier , I didn't want to take more  Advil for DOMS. I tried other things like Tumeric, and stretching. And I also tried to not take them as often during that time of month. I think I was at the point where I was taking so much Advil, my system wasn't responding as much to it, which meant I had to take more. So, I worked on not taking except at night to sleep. 

GMB has lots of cool programs that use bodyweight and mobility. The longevity program has different skills you work on that improve things like balance, mobility, strength. It was only for sale for a short time, but they still have some other cool programs to check out

GMB Fitness: Fun, Smart Exercise To Get Strong & Move Better

• Like 1

Today I thought I hit snooze on my alarm, and instead turned it off. Thankfully, I didn't sleep too long( I turn my light on and open my drapes when I hit the snooze) Had my friends over for prayer.  I didn't sleep very well last night because my muscles were sore. And my leg and glutes were sore today while I was sitting in the chair during prayer. 

We had nice sunny weather, so I went for a walk. I also wanted to stretch some, but ran out of time. Maybe I'll do a bit later.

This challenge, for my workout,I just copied it from a book (Jorday Syatt's Eat It) I compared the workout too the ones I wrote myself in the last challenges. The leg workout in this one had a lot more volume than the ones I wrote. I had written them fairly light, because I am 57, and I don't want to work so hard I don't feel I can move.😉 So, I think that is why I am struggling so much.  Good information to learn. Next workout, I will write not so volume heavy on the legs.  I would rather do lighter, than feel like I am injuring myself. Slow and steady, that's my motto.turtle tortoise GIF

• Like 5

Yesterday:

My alarm went off and I didn't want to get out of bed. Got up, said good by to husband as he  went off to work, grabbed my phone, and went back to bed, and scrolled Instagram for a while. Not happy with that decision. I did do better once I did get moving though. It was supposed to be leg day, but I swapped and did arm day, to give my leg and glutes another day to heal. Arm day went well.  Got in two walk yesterday for a little over 10,000 steps.Ate my protein.

Today: Was better at getting going in the morning. Read my Bible while setting on couch by window. It was even partly sunny .Did my leg workout. I  did less weight, and lower reps. Nothing felt sore, just really tired, and I didn't want to push. That's actually really hard for me mentally to dial it back. I like the last week of the challenge to end with a bang, not a whimper. But, it was the smart thing to do. I'm in this for the long game. I also decided not to do  longevity program of GMB's but to do the recovery program. The Recovery program is mainly mobility, and much more low key.  I started  off this 4 week workout with a leg injury, and it did feel better, but my legs always felt super tired, and this week I've had sore muscles. I think a week off would make my body happier.  Maybe I will work in the garden more, or go on longer walks, though the weather forecast isn't very encouraging ( still cold) 

I forgot to say; earlier this week, I made this pork roast, and it was so good BEST Baked Pork Tenderloin - Creme De La Crumb (lecremedelacrumb.com)

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Yesterday:

My alarm went off and I didn't want to get out of bed. Got up, said good by to husband as he  went off to work, grabbed my phone, and went back to bed, and scrolled Instagram for a while. Not happy with that decision. I did do better once I did get moving though. It was supposed to be leg day, but I swapped and did arm day, to give my leg and glutes another day to heal. Arm day went well.  Got in two walk yesterday for a little over 10,000 steps.Ate my protein.

Today: Was better at getting going in the morning. Read my Bible while setting on couch by window. It was even partly sunny .Did my leg workout. I  did less weight, and lower reps. Nothing felt sore, just really tired, and I didn't want to push. That's actually really hard for me mentally to dial it back. I like the last week of the challenge to end with a bang, not a whimper. But, it was the smart thing to do. I'm in this for the long game. I also decided not to do  longevity program of GMB's but to do the recovery program. The Recovery program is mainly mobility, and much more low key.  I started  off this 4 week workout with a leg injury, and it did feel better, but my legs always felt super tired, and this week I've had sore muscles. I think a week off would make my body happier.  Maybe I will work in the garden more, or go on longer walks, though the weather forecast isn't very encouraging ( still cold) 

I forgot to say; earlier this week, I made this pork roast, and it was so good BEST Baked Pork Tenderloin - Creme De La Crumb (lecremedelacrumb.com)

I hope the weather warms soon so you can get out and enjoy it.  Also I took a look at the recipe and it looks and sounds amazing!

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Roams Among the Trees

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

On 4/13/2023 at 10:18 AM, Elastigirl said:

Slow and steady, that's my motto.

That's a great motto! That's also a motto my husband has tried to get through that thick skull of mine before I got injured... xD I need to learn from you!

I hope you'll recover and feel better soon! :) I think a week off is a great idea.

Have a great Sunday!

• Like 1

Veni, vidi, vici. 

Since I am taking a deload week this week I decided to  compare the  starting weights of my four weeks of workouts to the end. 

I went from being able to do 10 reps at 20# to being able to do 10 reps at 25# for goblet squats

Increased my dumbbells rows from 8 reps at 30# to 8 reps at 35#

Increased my double rows from 2 15# to 2 20# bells

Increased my Romanian Single deadlift from #30 to #35

And increased my 3 x 12 alternating shoulder press from 8# to 12#

My muscles are feeling better today too. Unfortunately, my stomach is feeling kind of queasy.  I did my GMB recovery workout. I think I may go take a nap and see if that helps that stomach. It's not horrible, just sort of upset, and I'm more tired than I should be after a good night's sleep

• Like 3

On 4/15/2023 at 6:54 PM, XBlackWidowX said:

That's a great motto! That's also a motto my husband has tried to get through that thick skull of mine before I got injured... xD I need to learn from you!

I hope you'll recover and feel better soon! :) I think a week off is a great idea.

Have a great Sunday!

Sometimes the way we learn is by doing it wrong. I've pushed myself too hard sometimes and had to pay that price too!

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 7:37 PM, Elastigirl said:

went back to bed, and scrolled Instagram for a while. Not happy with that decision

I do this too at weekends sometimes and I hate the timesink... I've actually put a 30min limit on insta now as the reels really suck me into hours wasted...

Glad the next day was a more successful getting up day

• Like 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

5 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

I do this too at weekends sometimes and I hate the timesink... I've actually put a 30min limit on insta now as the reels really suck me into hours wasted...

Glad the next day was a more successful getting up day

This is a good idea.

• Like 1

Today I did a 15 minute walk to Youtube(Sharona's Hill) then a couple of GMB movement workouts.  Stretching, spiderman, inchworm, sit to squat. Then did a short walk in the afternoon and after dinner with hubby.  My Tuesday walk buddy cancelled because she thought it was going to rain. I don't think it did, but it was really cold. It feels more like February than April. Which is why I opted for a couple of short walks. This is a spring challenge, which means spring does show up sometime, right?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Today I did a 15 minute walk to Youtube(Sharona's Hill) then a couple of GMB movement workouts.  Stretching, spiderman, inchworm, sit to squat. Then did a short walk in the afternoon and after dinner with hubby.  My Tuesday walk buddy cancelled because she thought it was going to rain. I don't think it did, but it was really cold. It feels more like February than April. Which is why I opted for a couple of short walks. This is a spring challenge, which means spring does show up sometime, right?

You're so consistent, there is always so much working out anytime I check out your thread!

Haha, here spring just comes by to say "hi" and then it is summer immediately :D

• Like 1

Veni, vidi, vici. 

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

It feels more like February than April.

In London at the moment it really can't decide what it's doing - it was shorts and tshirt weather Monday and then jumper/coat yesterday 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1