Juliebarkley's springtime renewal

11 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

I'll find out during this challenge

Happy Lets Go GIF by Shalita Grantrocky horror picture show anticipation GIF

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Thank you! I listened long enough to get the Joel Osteen reference ;)

That was well far in, so good on you! (I know they're not short.) I hope you enjoyed the experience!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ramadan habits: A little less good. My efforts to donate to charity were stymied by a robot check failing so many times that I gave up. And I was planning to watch a khutba, but then somehow two hours passed and there is now no time. Boo.

Eating/drinking: Oh crap. I haven't done either and now it's bedtime. :( I'll chug what water I can, but at least I had a good supper.

Exercise: This also fell victim to the magical two-hour time vortex. I did have a reunion with GMB yesterday (a Vitamin session from somewhere in the middle), but I no longer recognized the movements (because it was in the middle) and I did have to make some modifications. I know I will have to make some with all of the other programs too. It actually feels a bit weird to me to have to do so because I really have made a lot of progress, enough to have only occasional problems in everyday stuff, and I'm nearing being able to reach overhead or have arms straight to the sides. But perhaps it is more that I've learned to adapt to not being able to do those movements as I used to, so I don't notice the limitations so much too.

Reading/posting: I did do this.

D&D started off the day. We are scouting out a Sahuagin encampment that wants to eat our town. Last session, we abducted two Sahuagin to interrogate. Through Comprehend Languages, reverse psychology, and threats of being made to eat cereal, we got some information but not enough. Today we got a visit from a bronze dragon in the guise of a very hairy seagull, had one character stealth up to some people looking at our ship, decide they were bandits that were planning to rob us, and singlehandedly turn them into paste (HUGE damage rolls made only one of the three even Revivifyable), and now the party is either invisible or in gaseous form and sneaking around. Our current plan is to scout inside this 200-fish strong fort, steal all their weapons (and possibly their food) via our portable hole, and then free the slaves while also framing them for the theft. What could possibly go wrong?

The rest of the day was so uneventful that I literally cannot remember what I did. I've had a few of those lately, glancing up my challenge. Not good. Must not waste life. It is a short and precious thing.

• Like 7

Ramadan habits: Decent again. Watched a few shorter clips instead of one long one, and realized that a trailer I'd watched way at the beginning of Ramadan, which I had assumed was a lead-in to encourage people to subscribe to their paid service (which I do actually subscribe to, but don't use enough), was actually coming out daily on YouTube! This is an exciting discovery, because the series seems really awesome based on the first episode and there are 12 episodes now waiting for me.

Eating/drinking: I remain unsure what to do with this goal. I am currently eating one meal a day, and not a particularly huge one. However, after said meal I am STUFFED and really don't want to eat more later. I wouldn't say that I normally eat a ton more than I am currently, but I do usually eat more than this the rest of the year. I just... don't want to. Really don't want to. Even come time to break the fast I often don't really feel like it. I don't think I'm losing weight but I also haven't checked in case I am, and none of that seems healthy.

Spoiler

Before anyone asks, no, I am not anorexic. I know those thoughts though. I took small steps down that path in my youth before I realized what was happening, and the prospect terrified me so much that I mercilessly stamped them into submission long ago. Of course, the whispers are never truly gone. But I recognize them for what they are and they do not have any serious impact on my choices here.

Exercise: Time for this now! Going to try Elements; it looks like the main movement pattern today is Frogger-based and I know I can do that.

Reading/posting: Yes, done. Am I still behind? Yes. But I did something.

My son's school had an active-shooter drill today. Most of the students took this in stride and had probably done this many times, but one, an exchange student from China, had a different and rather funny reaction. He was busy translating his notes into English when the signal went. He said in frustration, "What is this? This not US!" and continued working on his notes for a few minutes. Then, once the drill was over, declared "See, we not shot!" and went right back to his notes. 😂 Love this kid.

• Like 5

Sounds like a pretty good run on most things.

You inspired me with your Ramadan habits to get back into a devotion habit myself, so thank you for that. 

Do you do yours in the morning or evening or whenever?   I'm thinking it'd be better to start the day off with them, like a morning meditation to get me in a good brain frame for the day, but I always end up running late lol.

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

14 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Eating/drinking: I remain unsure what to do with this goal. I am currently eating one meal a day, and not a particularly huge one. However, after said meal I am STUFFED and really don't want to eat more later. I wouldn't say that I normally eat a ton more than I am currently, but I do usually eat more than this the rest of the year. I just... don't want to. Really don't want to. Even come time to break the fast I often don't really feel like it. I don't think I'm losing weight but I also haven't checked in case I am, and none of that seems healthy.

Can you check? It'd be good to know. 

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

11 hours ago, starpuck said:

Sounds like a pretty good run on most things.

You inspired me with your Ramadan habits to get back into a devotion habit myself, so thank you for that. 

Do you do yours in the morning or evening or whenever?   I'm thinking it'd be better to start the day off with them, like a morning meditation to get me in a good brain frame for the day, but I always end up running late lol.

Yay! I have been doing mine immediately after waking up (well, immediately after putting my bed away), without any length requirement, just that something be done. If I wanted it to be longer I'd probably have to move it, but as it is it fits nicely as a short thing to start the day, and that I can come back to later if I wish.

7 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Can you check? It'd be good to know. 

I did. Oof. More details below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posting a bit early because I'm tired and full and nothing more is realistically going to happen if it doesn't involve sitting in front of a computer or a book.

Ramadan habits: Kinda sorta okay. I missed a couple of my alerts, and my payment for today didn't work either. May have to adjust my shortcut if the captcha program is permanently unhappy.

Eating/drinking: On KB Girl's suggestion I got on the scale when I got home from work.

Spoiler

It was not as I had hoped. And I feel like something is a bit wrong somewhere.

I got on the scale a couple of days into Ramadan - granted, in the evening after a meal - and weighed in at 116.8 lbs. Which may be my highest weight ever (and still perfectly healthy for my height). And I was fully clothed. So I figure okay, end of winter tends to be the high point, but it also means nothing to worry about, right? I'm doing okay?

Tried again today. 101.1. And still partially clothed. That's way below where I start to worry. And only three pounds off clinically underweight.

This just does not seem right. There is just no way that I lost 15 pounds over the course of a week. Something is wrong with the scale, or how I took the measurement. Has to be. I'm thinking that it was today's that was the anomaly - normal weight for me is 110-115 - so I'll try again tomorrow before freaking out about this. But if 101 is accurate... holy crap. I need to take this eating thing more seriously.

Exercise: I am stuffed and I cannot.

Reading/posting: Yes.

I got a cute display up for poetry month, and borrowed a book about stargazing. Since the series I was talking about is based on Sura An-Najm (the star), and the weather is starting to warm up just enough that I can think about finding a road in the unlit rural area to walk to and hang out without freezing to death, I think it might be good timing.

• Like 5

I agree. Something is wrong with your scale. There is absolutely no way your weight changed like that, in that short amount of time, without you noticing. 

• Like 3

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

On 4/5/2023 at 12:41 AM, Scaly Freak said:

I agree. Something is wrong with your scale. There is absolutely no way your weight changed like that, in that short amount of time, without you noticing. 

That is the main reason I wasn't panicking. It just didn't seem plausible, and if the scale has gone funny, it's more likely to be reading low (because you're leaning on something) than high. And it must have been so, because while I have lost a couple of pounds, yesterday the scale gave me a much more sensible number.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was going to write up last night, but the laptop battery went from 23% to 5% in about two minutes, so I went to bed instead.

Ramadan habits: Still kinda sorta. Missed all my alerts yesterday, but did my reading and a short video. Today I will be more attentive to the alerts.

Eating/drinking: Had bonus popcorn and noodles (and a lecture from my child about which foods are high-calorie), didn't finish my water though.

Exercise: I thought that I was out of luck when the laptop died; forgot that I have it set up on my phone. Did physio though; I can stretch all the way up when my front is pressed against the wall. Not quite without the wall, but it's quite the improvement!

Reading/posting: Yes.

We got hit by a significant ice storm yesterday and were lucky to mostly unaffected. I was woken up and kept awake by thunder so loud I thought it might have been an actual explosion. At work, we watched the closure emails from other branches west of us coming in, so we knew what we were in for in advance. Once the storm hit, the power flickered crazily in and out for about an hour before dying for good. (Which is when the customers started showing up, because they had no power either and thought we would have wifi somehow, or that surely they could at least check out their books. 🙄) Given the number of outages across the city, no one was being given estimated times of restoration. Since no power for us means no heat and no water, we shut up two hours early. My son got a second day off school because it still has no power, and is helping an elderly neighbour move downed branches right now. Lots of those around. Lots of chainsaws going too - guy across the street narrowly avoided having a tree fall on his house. But also lots of people clearing things off the road with their trucks, driving around with their chainsaws to offer help to strangers, and so on. Always nice to see the community's true colours - much as we might bitch at each other online, we come together in a crisis.

• Like 8

Ramadan habits: Much better today! I started the series I was talking about earlier by rewatching episode 1. Unlikely that anyone else will want to give it a try, but if you do, start here. The general technique being taught can I think be used by people of any faith for approaching their own books, but it would take some work to dig them out and adapt them. The idea of the series is to use the study of one sura (Al-Najm) to teach people how to approach the text with tadabbur: contemplating not what the text means in a general sense, or its history and context - that's tafsir - but what it means to YOU, what God is saying to YOU, RIGHT NOW, through this sura, and how you can implement that in your life. (In talking about the importance of both, the speaker ragged on Joel Osteen again. 😂 Poor Joel. At least he made an impression?)

Eating/drinking: I am behind on this. I listened to my son's lecturing and made chicken with cashew nuts to get some extra calories in though. I will make sure to eat more before bed.

Exercise: Ready to do this now! Actually have a lot of energy right now, which is nice!

Reading/posting: Yes. I think I finished at least one? I for sure at least read part of a couple.

It was a pretty leisurely day. I wasn't scheduled to work, which is good because my library (and seven others) still had no power at 10am this morning, so goodness knows where they would have sent me. Mostly just hung out on the interwebs and did a little cleaning-up. It's been very nice and relaxing, not gonna lie. :)

• Like 7

Ramadan habits: I was bad at my alerts again today because we had people over and I was distracted, but everything else was good.

Eating/drinking: Off to make some food after this post.

Exercise: Not going to happen. Again, people were over during the day, and they are sleeping below me right now, so it's just not possible.

Reading/posting: Yes yes.

My brother and his girlfriend, plus my son's girlfriend, are all staying over right now. Therefore the day was spent hanging out with them. We got to hear all about a trip to Vietnam to visit the girlfriend's family (plus some tourism), got fancy new sunhats, tried a bunch of Vietnamese snacks, and played some board games. Lots of fun. After that, we went for a night walk. We were only intending to wind down for the day, but ended up scoping out the state of flooding at the local creek and the damage from the storm. There is a huge tree in our nearby park, two trunks, both completely uprooted and lying on the ground. Lots of branches still scattered about. The whole path was blocked halfway down by another fallen tree, which we couldn't pass without trespassing, so our walk was cut short.

There was supposed to be D&D tonight as well, but my family stuff ran so late that I missed it all. Sorry, @starpuck and all of the players!

• Like 4

Ramadan habits: Bad Saturday because guests. Good on Sunday. This Al-Najm series is excellent. :)

Eating/drinking: Yes on both days on food. Water, maybe not.

Exercise: No on Saturday for reasons of not waking people up. Yes on Sunday. GMB doesn't have a phone app, but I pinned ... something app-like ... to my phone and it works really well. I think I like it better than the website actually. The exercise was an underswitch between crab position and tabletop position, going slow, then fast, then with leg extensions. Fun, but tiring.

Reading/posting: Yes on both days.

Saturday was mostly more hanging out with the family. Nothing terribly exciting, but still very nice. Sunday our guests went home, so I did things like catch-up email. I did also get a long conversation with a friend with whom I haven't had a long conversation in a long time, and that is always a wonderful thing.

• Like 2

Two days again.

Ramadan habits: Not amazing either day. No videos. No charitable donations either.

Eating/drinking: Pretty sure I ate yesterday. Today, I tried, but the food I made was so spicy I could not eat it. :(

Exercise: Nope, not really.

Reading/posting: Yes yesterday, not today though.

I was really lacking for time the last couple of days and especially today. May tomorrow be better.

• Like 2

Ramadan habits: Much better today. I might not get to my video, but I did all of the other things.

Eating/drinking: I have had lots of water, but probably won't go for extra food. We've been living on leftovers from having people over. Said leftovers are starting to run out, but we haven't quite replenished yet.

Exercise: Must do physio exercises today - they did not get done yesterday. I will likely either do the video or GMB, but not both. I am not sure which will win.

Reading/posting: I did. Just one thread, but it took me forever! @TimovieMan, you have so much music to listen to. :D

I had an interesting conversation with my son. He was planning to go into automotive engineering, but it looks like he is changing his plans, for good reasons. He finally admitted to himself that engineering is a lot of sitting in front of a computer in an office, and that he really would not be happy in that kind of environment. He is loving working with his hands at McDonalds, and he loves tinkering with things. And he just really doesn't fancy spending four more years of intensive, expensive schooling in subjects he's not enjoying very much to work towards a career that he would only maybe enjoy. So he's exploring other car-related options that are more hands-on. He's made a few useful relationships through his work - he's got a garage willing to employ him part-time, a commercial garage where he knows someone who could hook him up, and a dealership where he has all but been offered a position - probably in the shop, but where he hopes he could eventually try out sales as well. (He has potential to be very good at sales; we used to joke that he could start his own cult because he has so much charisma.) So, see what he likes, then decide what to do next. And if he does decide to go for auto engineering down the line (because it's not like that door closes forever at eighteen), he'll have real-world, hands-on experience with actual engines, which is a big plus to your employability.

I'm not super surprised that he's making this change. I did try to explain that engineering was a lot of computer work when he was first exploring that option, because I know him and sitting in front of a desk has never been his thing. I just hope that he's not making the shift because he's disappointed in his grades and sees it as a second-best (but achievable) option.

• Like 7
On 4/12/2023 at 7:27 AM, juliebarkley said:

Eating/drinking: Pretty sure I ate yesterday. Today, I tried, but the food I made was so spicy I could not eat it. :(

I hate it when that happens. I've got a very low tolerance for spicy food though, so it happens a fair bit. Yesterday it was WW's turn though - I put so much ginger in a curry that she had to give up half way through (in my defence, I followed the recipe).

5 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I just hope that he's not making the shift because he's disappointed in his grades and sees it as a second-best (but achievable) option.

Hopefully not, but as you said, if he regrets it a few years down the line and wants to move into engineering, he still can.

• Like 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

13 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Reading/posting: I did. Just one thread, but it took me forever! @TimovieMan, you have so much music to listen to. :D

giphy.gif

Those Jeff Goldblum gifs are brilliant. Love that guy! 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

18 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I had an interesting conversation with my son. He was planning to go into automotive engineering, but it looks like he is changing his plans, for good reasons. He finally admitted to himself that engineering is a lot of sitting in front of a computer in an office, and that he really would not be happy in that kind of environment. He is loving working with his hands at McDonalds, and he loves tinkering with things. And he just really doesn't fancy spending four more years of intensive, expensive schooling in subjects he's not enjoying very much to work towards a career that he would only maybe enjoy. So he's exploring other car-related options that are more hands-on. He's made a few useful relationships through his work - he's got a garage willing to employ him part-time, a commercial garage where he knows someone who could hook him up, and a dealership where he has all but been offered a position - probably in the shop, but where he hopes he could eventually try out sales as well. (He has potential to be very good at sales; we used to joke that he could start his own cult because he has so much charisma.) So, see what he likes, then decide what to do next. And if he does decide to go for auto engineering down the line (because it's not like that door closes forever at eighteen), he'll have real-world, hands-on experience with actual engines, which is a big plus to your employability.

This is an interesting perspective, but it makes sense.  Finding something that he will actually enjoy doing and can make a living at is something many people don't have the option to do

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

18 hours ago, Jarric said:

I hate it when that happens. I've got a very low tolerance for spicy food though, so it happens a fair bit. Yesterday it was WW's turn though - I put so much ginger in a curry that she had to give up half way through (in my defence, I followed the recipe).

To be fair, the package did describe it as "spicy", but none of the flavouring sachets looked spicy, and I thought I'd had it before. I guess I was wrong on both counts. 🤷‍♀️

18 hours ago, Jarric said:

Hopefully not, but as you said, if he regrets it a few years down the line and wants to move into engineering, he still can.

We talked briefly, and he agreed that he wants to make sure his grades are where he needs them to be if he changes his mind or turns out not to like the hands-on side after all, but he wants to limit his in-person course load next year by taking some of his courses online. That seems like a sensible backup strategy.

10 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

giphy.gif

Those Jeff Goldblum gifs are brilliant. Love that guy! 😇

Keiran Lee Reaction GIF

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is an interesting perspective, but it makes sense.  Finding something that he will actually enjoy doing and can make a living at is something many people don't have the option to do

It makes sense to me. Once your basic needs are covered, money doesn't make you all that much happier, but hours every day at work you hate can eat away at your soul. (Not that the trades pay poorly, necessarily.) He also likes that it's a flexible skill that you could take anywhere, even to another country, while jobs demanding that particular kind of engineering really tie you to a city with a car company HQ. We're lucky that he's got so many options to explore his interests so close by and the networking skills to get an in. And I'm glad that there are quite a lot of graduates locally going into trades, nursing, and other non-university careers, so he's not facing the stigma that the college-bound had when I graduated from high school.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ramadan habits: I did some of the things, but not quite all of the things. And I am in the same boat as yesterday - I left both exercise and my video late enough that I can now only do one. 🤦‍♀️

Eating/drinking: My son brought me apple pie from work. ❤️

Exercise: Physio will happen. Other exercise? We'll see.

Reading/posting: I did some, but didn't actually finish any threads.

You know how to feel REALLY boring? Report that all you did all day was work on your taxes and business accounts. Good news: I'm done. They are completed but not yet submitted (I like to let them simmer for a day or two to see if I remember anything I might have forgotten to include). Also good news, although it will take some work on my part to bring it to fruition: while checking some information on last year's form, I discovered that one schedule did not save properly. In previous years, this would not have made much difference - the benefit in question was worth like $5 to me if I qualified at all - but somewhere along the line the income cutoff for this item nearly doubled, and it now makes a BIG difference. If I refile that part of last year's tax form, I should get almost an extra $1000 back. Pretty sweet. Now I need to check all of my eligible returns from previous years to see if any of them might be affected too. And learn how to revise an already-submitted return.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Once your basic needs are covered, money doesn't make you all that much happier, but hours every day at work you hate can eat away at your soul.

I think there's a lot of wisdom in this. It depends on an individual's values, but for me if I can make enough to be comfortable I'll never need to earn any more.

• Like 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

21 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

yeah, but that's Canadian so...

I'll get myself a nice pizza or something. :P

16 hours ago, Jarric said:

I think there's a lot of wisdom in this. It depends on an individual's values, but for me if I can make enough to be comfortable I'll never need to earn any more.

My son has a similar money philosophy to myself. When he learned that he could invest his savings in something that would pay a regular and growing dividend, and reinvest that dividend until you need it, he was fascinated. So his goal is to build that as a sort of personal universal basic income to cover core needs. He's interested in working hard, building skills, and making money up front, but with the goal of saving his money now, growing his earning potential, and enjoying his career. He's already making a good start. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ramadan habits: I did all of the things! :)

Eating/drinking: I need to go do this now. Both eating and drinking have been lax today.

Exercise: If I want to get enough food and sleep, I won't be getting an exercise session in unfortunately.

Reading/posting: No.

You know how to be even more boring than a day spent on naught but taxes? Spend an evening on little but chipping away at the backlog of your email inbox. 😅

The weather has gotten really nice (at least temporarily), so I got to spend my first break outside at work since last year, just hanging out and enjoying the sunshine. I didn't even need my level 1 coat! I haven't gotten many walks in lately, but with this good weather I really really want to.

• Like 8

Ramadan habits: I did all of the things again! :) Should anyone happen to be interested in the structure of Meccan suras, today's video is for you. The actual sura being studied is barely mentioned; it's all themes and structure. Genuinely interesting if you are into theological stuff.

Eating/drinking: I have not eating extra yet though I have been drinking water. I don't feel quite right though, so I should probably eat something.

Exercise: I did the last session in Elements (how long after starting it? 😅). It was way too hard for me as I am right now. I did easier versions of some of the exercises, and had to stop repeatedly throughout.

Reading/posting: Yes. @shaar's thread reminded me that there are worse things than boring. 😮

Got to hang out for another day in the beautiful warm sunshine at work and at home. :) Next week is all rain and coldness, so got to enjoy it while I can.

I think I'm going to steal off with some food and a book before bed, and hope that my head settles down a little. Until tomorrow!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Exercise: I did the last session in Elements (how long after starting it? 😅). It was way too hard for me as I am right now. I did easier versions of some of the exercises, and had to stop repeatedly throughout.

That is exciting and a great accomplishment! I've only made it about halfway through - there's so much to practice and unpack from each session. I think it's intended to be very challenging and unachievable during a first go-through (unless you've done lots of gymnastics/body control work before), which means you can get lots of benefit from continuing the sessions if you want to :) 

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

7 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Reading/posting: Yes. @shaar's thread reminded me that there are worse things than boring. 😮

Oh my actual god this gave me the BIGGESTTTTT laugh this morning!!! 🤣🤣 It's funny because I often say to myself at certain points in my life, when nothing's really happening, that sometimes there is nothing wrong leading a boring life!  And honestly, FACTS!! XD Embrace the mundane~

On 4/14/2023 at 3:10 AM, juliebarkley said:

Once your basic needs are covered, money doesn't make you all that much happier, but hours every day at work you hate can eat away at your soul.

This is a lovely sentiment and I am 100% on board. Time is way too short to be chained to something that makes your days miserable! 

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

22 hours ago, Alanna said:

That is exciting and a great accomplishment! I've only made it about halfway through - there's so much to practice and unpack from each session. I think it's intended to be very challenging and unachievable during a first go-through (unless you've done lots of gymnastics/body control work before), which means you can get lots of benefit from continuing the sessions if you want to :) 

I'm going to run through it again for sure! But not starting today.

17 hours ago, shaar said:

Oh my actual god this gave me the BIGGESTTTTT laugh this morning!!! 🤣🤣 It's funny because I often say to myself at certain points in my life, when nothing's really happening, that sometimes there is nothing wrong leading a boring life!  And honestly, FACTS!! XD Embrace the mundane~

This is a lovely sentiment and I am 100% on board. Time is way too short to be chained to something that makes your days miserable! 

Hooray! May your boring return posthaste!

Time is truly our most valuable currency.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ramadan habits: I did all of the things again! :) Three days in a row!

Eating/drinking: This, however, I did not do. I could do with a little something before bed.

Exercise: I left off exercise today because things still feel a little sore in my tricky arm after yesterday's session. Should be able to get back to it tomorrow, but giving it a bit of rest feels like the right thing to do. I did go for a long walk on the last nice evening for a little while.

Reading/posting: I did not, sadly.

More time spent out in the sunshine! I am like a lizard, sunning myself on a rock.

I Declare Lizard GIF

(This is not a lizard sunning, but damn it's adorable. The lizard is doing Elements!)

On Saturday I spent part of my shift reading the collective agreement (zzzz...) and discovered that the pool of medical insurance money that I thought was being used up by physio was actually two pools of money: one for physical health services like physio, acupuncture, etc. and one for mental health services. What this means for me practically is that since I am NOT depleting the mental health part of my pool, I should probably resume looking into and thinking about finding someone to talk to. I feel like things are going in a repeating cycle: I can see what I'm doing, and I know it's not helpful, but I just keep doing it anyway. Bleh. I'm tired of it. I have a couple of other things in mind to try to improve that cycle, but this feels like something I should very seriously consider.

Also found out today that my three ttrpg games (2 games per week total) are shortly to drop to one game (once every two weeks). This makes me sad, but it does free up some time for another thing, where I can hopefully meet more local people. If only everything interesting in my town weren't scheduled from 12-4 on a Sunday....

Okay, time for food and stuff.

• Like 7

Ramadan habits: I am on a roll. :) I need to do a little better with one habit, but the others have been super consistent.

Eating/drinking: My son brought food home from work. I ate many chicken nuggets. And made a bottle of water disappear.

Exercise: TBD right after this post. The achiness from yesterday is gone, so I should be fine to continue. I will probably restart Elements; those beginning stages are where I need to be right now, I think.

Reading/posting: Yup. I am almost through all of the challenges this time (not that I've stayed caught up, but I've been thinking about how to do that).

Yesterday I got asked the dreaded "where are you from?" question for the nicest possible reason. Turns out the person is experimenting with less common herbs and vegetables, like small-leaved chrysanthemum, bitter melon, and more than a dozen kinds of basil, and they were trying to figure out if I would be interested in knowing that those would be available at the farmer's market. Which I was. :)

Today, it looks like I got my taxes submitted just in time for a probable strike by the tax workers. 😂 I guess we see how that goes - a big federal government strike is not going to be popular with the general public.

• Like 5

I did less well today.

Ramadan habits: I did not get my video watched today. And I swear my alarms were not working right.

Eating/drinking: I drank some water. Not a whole bottle. Didn't eat extra, but to be fair, my supper was pretty big.

Exercise: No.

Reading/posting: Read a teensy bit. Not a whole thread.

My relatively short after-supper time got sucked up by a relative interrupting me repeatedly and demanding that I fix their computer problems for them, despite my not being able to help with things like remembering their passwords. (Yes, they have had a password manager suggested, by name, more than once, but they "don't know" how to set it up despite not making the slightest movement to try.)

I run into some grief about this. Their position is, you know how to do it and I don't, so do it for me. It will take me forever to figure it out. Mine is, if you are using this device, you should know how to use it. Not complicated things necessarily, but basic things like installing an app, closing a malfunctioning app, checking to see if you are connected to wifi, googling simple problems, etc. That may take some effort on your part. If I do it for you, it's fixed for now, but you will not know how to keep it that way the next time there's a problem, or the time after that, or the time after that. I will help you learn how to do things, if I see you are making an effort. But I do not want to just do it for you every time.

Besides which, I am very concerned about the cumulative effects of not making an effort to learn anything new, and avoiding new experiences, meeting new people, etc. This is how you end up with dementia in your old age. And I am just not the kind of person that would make a good carer for a person with dementia. So I try to push them out of their comfort zone when I can, for their own good. For this, I am told I am selfish, lazy, and unhelpful. 🤷‍♀️

• Angry on your Behalf 2