Mistr respawns

Mistr Respawns

March-April 2023

I joined NF almost nine years ago, in August 2014. Before Covid, I was at my target weight, had a regular exercise program and was making good progress toward my goals. I had plenty to work on, but I was in good shape.

Now I am back at the weight I was before I started. The level of exercise I was able to do during the pandemic was not enough to maintain my strength and endurance. Work demands and the pandemic did a number on my mental health. I avoided getting Covid until this January. That was a further hit to my endurance, although it gave me a much-needed chance to rest and reflect. I took last challenge to recover. Now it is time to respawn.

One nice thing about respawning is that it is not the same as starting from zero. I have been on this path before and have a clear idea of what I need to do. I know better than to try to jump back in at full speed.

This is the first phase of a long journey.

Phase I plan:

1. Mental health

- I was in a bad state last fall. I was feeling overwhelmed and like I had to take care of everything. Thankfully, I don’t feel that way now, but I want to avoid the slope back into that mire.

A. Get plenty of sleep. There will be days when sleep conflicts with doing other things. Most of the time, sleep is more important. I am vastly more cheerful and make better decisions when I am rested. If I need more motivation on the moment, I can remind myself that sleep deprivation prevents weight loss.

B. Sit zen every day. At least 10 minutes, usually 30 minutes. Mornings are best, but anytime is fine. If things are nuts and I choose to stay up late, I am likely to need at least 10 minutes to let my brain wind down before sleeping anyway.

C. Do fun stuff. Revenge bedtime procrastination is a sign that I haven’t done fun things. Make choices so that I feel good about my day.

2. Exercise

I need to work on strength, endurance and mobility. I turned 60 this year and I am hearing a lot of messages about “get in shape now or else”. This respawn is likely to be at a higher difficulty level than my earlier fitness journey.

Base plan:

Monday and Friday – strength training at home. Include TGUs, pushups, side-step and exercises that feel like a good fit.

Tuesday and Thursday – cardio at work. I am using the rowing machine for this phase. I’ve never used a rowing machine before, but I like it so far. I am starting slowly and learning good form. I hope that rowing will be a good all- body exercise that is low impact for my knees.

Wednesday – Aikido training with my weapons partner

Saturday and Sunday – Walks, aikido, yoga or core exercises.

I know there will be times when I have to substitute activities or take days off. I have two trips scheduled this challenge. I don’t know what facilities I will be able to use. Whatever I can do is fine.

3. Food

I know that stress eating has been the main cause of my gaining weight. I am taking steps to cut down on stress. I need to get back into better habits too. I have a negative response to restriction, so I am telling myself I can eat whatever I want, just not whenever I want.

- no snacks between breakfast and lunch. Eat a substantial breakfast that includes protein and veggies.

- No chocolate after 7pm. Ideally this should be no food after 7pm, but some days I am starving after aikido and really want food before bed.

- no caffeine. I’ve been good about not drinking caffeinated beverages for a long time now, just putting it here for reinforcement.

That is plenty for this challenge.

• Like 8

Level 75  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

Zero week report

I am happy with my start to this challenge. I feel like the zen practice is helping me cope with the curve balls that life is throwing at me.

• Sunday - strength training
  • Monday - walk
  • Tuesday - intro to rowing machine
  • Wednesday - aikido class
  • Thursday - rowing basic exercises and practice
  • Friday - lots of walking in airports
  • Saturday - core strength yoga and walking

I decided to let go trying to cook at home while things are nuts. I did a couple easy things like baking a squash. I had a plan in mind for making stew, but did not have the time and energy to make it happen. I gave myself permission to buy lunch at work the days in am on site. The cafeteria does a good job with grab-and-go salads and wraps. They are not expensive and save me valuable time. I will eventually get back to batch cooking, but probably not until next challenge.

Local news

For those just joining this story, my mother-in-law passed away at the end of February. It was sad, but not a surprise. Dumbledore and his brother are the only children and we are working together to take care of her estate, such as it is.

Yesterday we got happy news that a family wants to adopt her dog. Apparently they lost a similar dog recently, and she will be a good fit for them. I was willing to take the dog, but Dumbledore really did not want to add a dog to our household. Plus I was not looking forward to a 20+ hour drive with a dog in the car. It is a huge weight off our minds to have her in a good home.

This weekend I am in Seattle for work. I walked to a lovely French bakery for breakfast. I will go exploring with a friend this afternoon. It looks like I will be doing walking and yoga while I am here. The hotel has a good exercise room, but it was crowded early this morning.

• Like 7

Level 75  Viking paladin

I feel the pain of setbacks. I look forward to seeing you get back to where you want to be, though.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

As always I value your ability to reflect on things and put it into clear words. I am here to cheer you on. I hope you have a great time in Seattle! I have always wanted to go there. 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome back! Covid destroyed a lot of things for many of us, so this is definitely relatable...

• Like 1

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

On 3/25/2023 at 11:39 AM, Mistr said:

One nice thing about respawning is that it is not the same as starting from zero. I have been on this path before and have a clear idea of what I need to do. I know better than to try to jump back in at full speed.

I'm stealing this for my challenge (that promise I will post at some point this week).

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

I had a great time in Seattle. The weather was uncharacteristically sunny and dry. I got to see a bunch of things and went out for delicious meals with the team.

I even did well on most of my challenge goals. I got in a lot of walking and several yoga sessions. I did zen every day and played Verdant Skies. It felt far more like a vacation than my last several actual vacations, since I only had to work a few hours a day.

I did my best to make good food choices. When I snacked between meals I ate fruit, and that was because of having dinner quite late. I ate a lot more than usual in the evenings because we went out to good restaurants and shared dishes around the table. I have no regrets. I ate small meals yesterday when I was travelling home and felt satisfied.

Now I have 10 days at home before travelling again. I want to get some things done, but I can be flexible about what is really possible.

• Like 8

Level 75  Viking paladin

On 3/25/2023 at 1:39 PM, Mistr said:

I was feeling overwhelmed and like I had to take care of everything. Thankfully, I don’t feel that way now, but I want to avoid the slope back into that mire.

I relate to this so much, D has been better about making sure that I don't.

I love how your work trip sounded, when things are not in your control you do the best you can, and I believe you do that better than most I've ever seen!

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Sounds like a great trip with lovely food, maintaining goals, and that vacation feel. Kind of ideal, actually!

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

I am doing pretty well on exercise and sleep. Food has been so-so. I feel like I need to choose where to push myself, and eating restriction is not the highest priority right now.

Over the weekend I did two social things - going out for lunch with a friend and attending a quarterly meeting at the dojo. I did some shopping after each outing. I am always amazed by how much time shopping eats up. I had a short list for Costco and got more paint at the big box store. On Sunday, I was planning on doing fill-in grocery shopping but my young people sent me a full list of things they wanted to cook. Go Elf and Cleo!

I almost completely dropped cooking and they have picked up the slack. I did make two desserts this weekend: amaretto lemon bars and chocolate idiot cake. Both are gluten-free. The lemon bars have been a big hit with the whole family. Cleo had never had lemon bars before 🤔. Today Cleo made miso soup and Elf made carnitas. I would be pushing Dumbledore to cook, but he has been sick and was already stressed out about work. He gets a pass this week.

Family news

Spoiler

Cleo is making a trip back to her home town to visit her kids for the first time in nearly two years. She is finally healthy enough to travel and deal with people. We are all a little worried about her, but hope it will be a good trip.

For those who are new here, Cleo is trans and the area she is going is not tolerant. I hope she can pass and stay out of trouble.

Elf will have the house to themselves for a few days while Cleo is away and Dumbledore and I are working on his mom's house. I know Elf has the skills to take care of themself. I am worried about them going off on a mental spiral.

I compared notes on that with my BFF. We were both very independent in our 20s. I was fine running my life on my own. If I ran into something difficult, I knew I could call my family for advice. I was happy left to myself to read books and do my own thing. Elf seems to want a lot more company all the time. I have a hard time relating to that. We promised to check in frequently.

• Like 2

Level 75  Viking paladin

Crossing my fingers and toes that Cleo’s trip goes smoothly and that Elf holds down the fort comfortably. 

Those desserts sound amazing! I hope Dumbledore is feeling better soon. 

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spoiler

Sending as much encouraging thoughts and positive energy in Cleo's general direction as I can. Sounds like it's going to be a very emotional and high-stress trip for her, and I can definitely  understand not wanting to leave Elf alone with their thoughts while Cleo is dealing with all that. 

I hope that simply knowing that she'll return to a home where she is welcome and accepted after the trip is over, will help Cleo cope with the stress.

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

*makes mental note to get items to make those desserts soon!

Spoiler

I hope things go well for Cleo, that can be so difficult to deal with

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I feel like I can pick three out of six things to do in a day. I might put more on my list, but some are just not going to happen.

Yesterday I was short on sleep. I had some caffeine in the morning and was getting stuff done until almost the end of the day, when I hit a mental wall. I should have just called it there and packed up. Instead I read FB for an hour and left work an hour late. I had two main things on my list for when I got home, plus a couple small things. One of the main things got done.

On the plus side, I went and voted in the local elections. Elf asked to come with me. (Cleo and Dumbledore voted earlier). Elf and I were both having low energy days and supported each other.

My successful main task when I got home was making chocolate chip cookies. Dumbledore and I talked about making some on Saturday, but he was not feeling well. I knew it would make him happy to find fresh cookies on the counter when he got home from gaming. I tried making this batch using half oat flour and half gluten-free flour, with a teaspoon of xanthan gum and an extra 1/4 cup of flour. The texture came out right! The flavor was a little different, but that might have been my taste buds and not the cookies.

We are making progress on getting Cleo to eat gluten-free foods. Elf put macaroni & cheese on the grocery list this week. I brought home 6 boxes of instant mac-and-cheese, 3 of them gluten-free. Two of those are from Kraft, which is the main manufacturer of classic mac-and-cheese. Elf was surprised these existed. I am trying to get through to the young people that yes, they can eat food that won't make Cleo sick. Now I just need to find a good source of gluten-free tortillas. It is entirely possible that my main grocery carries them and I just haven't found them yet. It is often hard to find things when I already know where they should be.

Tonight I am going to leave work on time and get the other main task done. I hope to also cook the summer squash that is languishing in the fridge. We have three types of dessert, so I should turn back to vegetables. :D 

• Like 4

Level 75  Viking paladin

There has been such an explosion in gluten free foods of decent quality in the last few years. I am impressed with food science. I hope that you can find even more things that will help Cleo feel good after eating. 

Excellent work making cookies, that was very thoughtful of you. And it can be such a task to do. Not really difficult, just time consuming with lots of standing around waiting on things. Dave wants some baking now that he is home so I will have to copy you. 

Three types of dessert sounds amazing. Hope your squash is tasty! :D 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 6:35 PM, Mistr said:

I am always amazed by how much time shopping eats up.

Are any of your local stores still doing order pickup? That could save a fair amount of time, even if you have no good delivery options.

Anything shelf-stable can likely be ordered online and shipped for free, by a variety of retailers. Amazon can be dicey on pricing markups because they're more of a marketplace than a store, but Target is not. (Their local delivery is also pretty good, especially if you have a nearby store with the expanded grocery selection. In general they're more limited on fresh things, especially meat; they'll do the basics, some of them competitively, but there may be top-ups for certain vegetables and meat cuts. Their annual membership, after a trial period, amortizes to a very cheap per weekly delivery and a small tip, and often their pricing makes up for those two things in urban areas.) In addition, they'll two-day ship anything on an order over $35, on its own or as part of an existing delivery order, for free, with expanded selection based on anything in the warehouse. I'm sure other places do the same, like Walmart, maybe even Costco if you're a member. So basically anything outside the refrigerated cases doesn't need to be picked up at a store, if you don't need it the same day. (Boxed mac and cheese, tortillas, rice, beans, shampoo, jam, whatever. If it's not for that day, it can be dropped on your doorstep. Target packaging is very good on glass jars, by the way. They wrap jars in paper padding, tape lids shut, and bag shampoo bottles that might leak.)

A pickup could cut your time down to half an hour of ordering plus driving; a drop-off delivery to just half an hour. There may actual store visits needed occasionally, but they can be spaced out further, if you can outsource the labor overhead on some of those groceries.

Spoiler
On 4/3/2023 at 6:35 PM, Mistr said:

Elf seems to want a lot more company all the time. I have a hard time relating to that. We promised to check in frequently.

This might be a "kids today with their helicopter parenting",  which may well have been extra helicoptery for a kid who grew up in a conservative religious home, but it could also be the less generational, more individual needs of a kid who lost that first family and was probably very lonely within it. That disruption in their life may have set them back a few years in terms of catching up developmentally, what with having to reattach to a family and then detach again in a less traumatic way, and/or may mean their mature adult emotional needs simply include being very (in a non-judgmental way) clingy about the people they care for, and more generally for company and clear signs of belonging, as a result of that family rejection.

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I am trying to get through to the young people that yes, they can eat food that won't make Cleo sick. Now I just need to find a good source of gluten-free tortillas. It is entirely possible that my main grocery carries them and I just haven't found them yet. It is often hard to find things when I already know where they should be.

*facepalm* Kids, eat the gluten-free food. Especially if she's actually celiac, it's honestly not good to keep eating gluten.

There may be a separate gluten-free section in the store, or they may be with the regular Mexican food. All corn tortillas are gluten-free. Flour ones for large burritos, that's a little harder to come by.

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

I just need to find a good source of gluten-free tortilla

Mission makes a good one that is widely available

Thrive market is also a good online resource for many things if you want to go that route.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

Now I just need to find a good source of gluten-free tortillas.

My Costco has them. Other large grocery stores in the area do as well.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RES said:

Mission makes a good one that is widely available

Yes, this one. This is the one I've seen. Never used though, because I don't need gluten-free, so I just use the regular ones.

• Like 1

I have a Costco membership, so I will look there for gluten-free tortillas. My grocery store carries Mission tortillas, maybe they have gluten-free ones tucked on a shelf I've missed. Most of the GF stuff in the grocery is in the same area as the regular stuff. There is also a natural foods aisle, which is where the GF-bread is stashed. I think all the tortillas are in the International aisle, but there might be some in Dairy too. My grocery store is a big-box scavenger hunt adventure every time.

On 4/5/2023 at 2:01 PM, sarakingdom said:

Are any of your local stores still doing order pickup? That could save a fair amount of time, even if you have no good delivery options.

Thankfully, Dumbledore has taken over most of the grocery shopping. The grocery store is on his way home from the YMCA. Elf and Cleo are also willing to do the shopping. We probably could do order pick-up, but it has not been worth the bother so far.

On 4/5/2023 at 2:01 PM, sarakingdom said:

Hide contents

This might be a "kids today with their helicopter parenting",  which may well have been extra helicoptery for a kid who grew up in a conservative religious home, but it could also be the less generational, more individual needs of a kid who lost that first family and was probably very lonely within it. That disruption in their life may have set them back a few years in terms of catching up developmentally, what with having to reattach to a family and then detach again in a less traumatic way, and/or may mean their mature adult emotional needs simply include being very (in a non-judgmental way) clingy about the people they care for, and more generally for company and clear signs of belonging, as a result of that family rejection.

I think you are right on the second guess. Elf's birth parents were not the helicopter type, since they had so many kids. More the "hey you, oldest kid, take responsibility for three younger kids and go do this chore". Elf has been cautious about getting close to people for reasons that make perfect sense, considering.

Elf and Cleo have been together for over a year and a half now. This is the longest and healthiest relationship Elf has ever had. Cleo was in a longer relationship, but that one was abusive. When we were talking about Cleo's trip, she told me that this has been the longest she has ever lived in one place. She feels safe and at home here. I feel good that we have been able to make that happen for her. Elf understands all this on good days, but their brain weasels try to tell other stories.

*facepalm* Kids, eat the gluten-free food. Especially if she's actually celiac, it's honestly not good to keep eating gluten.

Yep, I am working on that. Dumbledore still drinks regular milk some of the time, even though he has known for years that dairy gives him problems. At least Elf, Cleo and I have shifted completely to oat milk and almond milk. We still eat cheese, but not very much. It is hard to live in Wisconsin and avoid cheese.

I am starting to suspect that white sugar and white flour are triggering inflamation for me. I am not quite to the point of cutting back, but I may be there by next challenge. Right now I am just trying to keep the regular things going.

Today I did zen but no exercise. That's better than yesterday when I did neither. I did get my one big task done yesterday evening.

I have a list of things do before we go out of town again at the crack of dawn on Saturday. Thankfully, Dumbledore and I decided to stay in a hotel while cleaning out his mom's house. That will give us a break from the chaos and reliable internet. I hope to have some downtime to catch up on the forums here next week.

• Like 3

Level 75  Viking paladin

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I have a Costco membership, so I will look there for gluten-free tortillas. My grocery store carries Mission tortillas, maybe they have gluten-free ones tucked on a shelf I've missed. Most of the GF stuff in the grocery is in the same area as the regular stuff. 

My Costco keeps all the tortillas, all sizes, in the same aisle. They have the sizes sorted in some kind of order, and all the gluten-free ones are stacked on the far left side. There are no signs, of course, so I just spot check packaging until I find the large burrito size tortillas I want, but the packaging is very clear about which ones are gluten-free,

• Thanks 1

Oh I miss Costco! The nearest one to me is 200 km away and I don’t make that drive too often now. 

On 4/6/2023 at 5:45 PM, Mistr said:

Yep, I am working on that. Dumbledore still drinks regular milk some of the time, even though he has known for years that dairy gives him problems. At least Elf, Cleo and I have shifted completely to oat milk and almond milk.

I can relate to this. I don't really drink my dairy anymore, but I'll still eat it. Generally in its fermented forms, although sometimes I'll make room for ice cream such as the situation warrants. :P

But yeah, the craziest part is how little I miss milk. I've had the obligation to finish off the odd quart here or there after having bought it for recipes, and I'm surprised at how little I care for it. So, there's something to the avoidance, I think.