On 4/12/2023 at 4:08 PM, Kishi said:

They're in Wisconsin; everything is dairy up there. :P

I mean...I may or may not have a recipes with cheese 'tortillas' 

Disclaimer: I am NOT in Wisconsin

• Haha 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Reporting in from sunny Albuquerque

This trip has been highly productive from a family point of view. Pretty much completely off plan for my challenge.

On my most recent work trip, I stayed in a fancy hotel and was able to do yoga and zen every day. This time we are staying in a low-end extended stay hotel by the airport. I can do zen, but the faux wood floors are not conducive to yoga. The more serious issue is just working until I am exhausted most days. I am not going to worry about it. I am getting quite a bit of movement in doing stuff around the house. I will get back to my routine next week.

We have made good progress on Dumbledore's mom's house. Not quite ready to go on the market, but substantial. All of the dry food has been donated to a food shelf or thrown out. A charity came and took some of the furniture. All the books have been packed and donated to Friends of the Library (except the box that is coming home with us). We got cleaners to come yesterday so now the kitchens (it is a duplex) and bathrooms look shiny instead of abandoned. Tomorrow we will drop off the clothes and some of the housewares to a charity shop.

Dumbledore is now the proud owner of a 2015 Kia with 25,000 miles. We know it really was owned by a little old lady who just drove to the grocery store once a week and to get the New York Times on Sundays. It seems to be in good shape. Tomorrow we will get the oil changed before starting the 20 hour drive home.

EJBKpim.jpg

After working like mad for four days, we took today off and did fun things. We walked around the old town area which features a church dating to 1796. Not old by European standards, but remarkable for this part of the country. The founding date of the city is 1706, under the Spanish crown. This afternoon we drove up the Sandia mountains. We stopped at my mil's favorite burger joint on the way up. It is a family run place and they recognized her photo. The picture above is a view of the city from the top of the mountain. It has been in the 70s and 80s during the day this week (22-30C), but there was still lots of snow on the mountain. Thankfully the roads were clear.

Tomorrow we will be at the house again to meet repair people and do more packing and sorting. I expect it will be another long day. We need to make sure we have everything we want to keep sorted out and loaded into the car so we can get on the road early Saturday. I also need to dig through the papers for more records about the property.

I hope you are all doing well. I probably won't be checking in again until next week.

• Like 4

Level 75  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

On 4/8/2023 at 4:50 PM, Kishi said:

I can relate to this. I don't really drink my dairy anymore, but I'll still eat it. Generally in its fermented forms, although sometimes I'll make room for ice cream such as the situation warrants. :P

But yeah, the craziest part is how little I miss milk. I've had the obligation to finish off the odd quart here or there after having bought it for recipes, and I'm surprised at how little I care for it. So, there's something to the avoidance, I think.

Yeah, I still eat cheese and some ice cream. I found that I really have to be careful of fermented dairy. Yogurt is evil and so is sour cream. I am thinking of testing a strict no dairy diet for the next challenge. I'm doing so many off-plan things this time that I would not be able to tell if the dairy made a difference or not.

Happily, I can report that the oatmilk ice cream bars with chocolate coating and crispies are even better than similar Haagen-Das bars.

• Like 3

Level 75  Viking paladin

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

I hope you are all doing well. I probably won't be checking in again until next week.

Understandable, you're busy. Drive safe tomorrow!

• Thanks 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

14 hours ago, Mistr said:

Dumbledore is now the proud owner of a 2015 Kia with 25,000 miles. We know it really was owned by a little old lady who just drove to the grocery store once a week and to get the New York Times on Sundays. It seems to be in good shape. Tomorrow we will get the oil changed before starting the 20 hour drive home.

Nice! I drive a 2012 Kia myself; even with ~6.5 times the mileage, it still drives well. Good stuff, glad to hear. :)

14 hours ago, Mistr said:

Happily, I can report that the oatmilk ice cream bars with chocolate coating and crispies are even better than similar Haagen-Das bars.

I believe it! I've also gotten into Ben and Jerry's non-dairy options; their Bananas Foster pints are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I believe it! I've also gotten into Ben and Jerry's non-dairy options; their Bananas Foster pints are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

So is the non-dairy Chocolate Fudge Brownie. And the Coconut Seven Layer Bar. And so is Change the Whirled, though that one can be difficult to find in stores here at times. :( 

• Like 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

Drive safely, happy the trip was productive...I lived in Albuquerque for a while, used to love spending time walking around old town with my kids 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I am safely home and happy to be picking up my own routine again.

I am going to wait a while before checking out the tasty non-dairy frozen treats you all recommended. My weight is up again from all the eating out and snacking on the road. I worked at eating as many vegetables as I could, but there were also a lot of treats in there. I have some ideas to cut back on the stress eating. Some on the stress reduction side and some on the eating reduction side.

Dumbledore has started on sorting through the boxes of stuff in the garage. I am going to tackle some of those this weekend. I also want to get moving on the bedroom remodeling project again. My real challenge will be to give myself enough relaxation time when we have more than enough projects to fill all the available time.

• Like 3

Level 75  Viking paladin

Welcome home. Thanks for letting us know you arrived safely.

Veggies can be difficult when travelling. I am glad you are back in your territory and can get your good habits and routines re-established. Wishing you the best balance between productivity, rest, and relaxation. 

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 hours ago, Mistr said:

I am safely home and happy to be picking up my own routine again.

Thank you for letting us know. :)

Good luck with the stress management! It is difficult, but oh so worth the effort.

I am happy to report that I did rowing Tuesday and today. On Tuesday it felt slow and I only did 21 minutes, compared to 26 minutes two weeks ago. Today I did not have time to do a full session. I said I would do 15 minutes anyway. It felt much smoother and faster. My pace was more consistent and the machine says I went more than 2100 meters. Very encouraging.

Last night I took time off. I washed a sink full of dishes, then played my computer game. I was not feeling like I could face a full aikido class.

Tonight I plan to finish painting the ceiling in the basement bedroom.  I also have to remember to do Duolingo and sit zen, so it will be a full evening.

• Like 3

Level 75  Viking paladin

What language are you practicing, Mistr?

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Respawning continues.

Yesterday I went back to the dojo after being away for nearly three weeks. It went about as well as I could expect under the circumstances. I am going to work my way back up and then concentrate on staying there.

Last week I did two rowing sessions and today I did a strength session. Small steps. I did more zen too.

Dumbledore firmly encouraged me to take more time to relax this weekend. I'm glad he did. I did some batch cooking, shopping and cleaning, but none of the painting I planned on doing. My next three evenings are booked, so I am glad I got a decent amount of down time over the weekend.

Goal for today - leave the social event (spinning group) early so I can get to bed on time.

Goal for this week - No snacking. I can eat whatever I want, but only at meals. 

• Like 3

Level 75  Viking paladin

I find the concentration on staying where I intend to be to be the most challenging part of any challenge. Good for you for getting back to the dojo, and for your rowing and strength sessions. That is awesome. And yay for more zen. 

What were you batch cooking? Spinning anything interesting at the moment?

• Like 1

Thank you for your support. Things feel more like a slog today. I want to sit on the couch, eat donuts and play computer games. This may have something to do with not getting enough sleep last night, in spite of most things being on track. I am tired of respawning and working my way back. I want to just go back to my January 2020 life.

On 4/24/2023 at 6:52 PM, Sovalis said:

What were you batch cooking? Spinning anything interesting at the moment?

I grilled six large chicken breasts (about 2.5kg) and two steaks. I also made split pea soup with ham, using the bone from the ham that Elf cooked earlier in the week.

My spinning is still the same fleece I've been working on for awhile.

vSg8661.jpg

NeMh4jV.jpg

It looks grey in the locks, but looks more oatmeal/khaki when spun. I just traded some old fabric scraps for a bunch of dyes. My plan is to overdye the yarn. Grey tends to be a good base for rich colors.

I have two skeins finished already and expect to get at least two more. I did more carding of the fleece at the spinning meeting on Monday. I need more meetings when I'm working from home to sneak in more carding time. :D

Family News

Elf just started a new job (again). I hope this one works out, and so does Elf. They were considerably pickier this time and got a job as a receptionist at a spa. The new job always looks shiny for the first week. I hope that it really is a good fit this time.

Cleo is also looking for jobs and has an interview at a nearby store next week. She still has bunches of medical appointments, but seems to be getting her various chronic conditions to a manageable state. I think it will be good for her to get out of the house and into the real world more.

Dumbledore got the title transferred for his mom's car. He is finding it super handy to have a car of his own. Elf did not ask to use the car much, but Dumbledore and Elf always seemed to want to use it at the same time. We now have three cars and three drivers (until Cleo is cleared by her neurologist). This means Elf can work afternoon/evening hours on the far side of town and Dumbledore can go to the gym and run errands whenever he wants. Major win.

• Like 4

Level 75  Viking paladin

13 hours ago, Mistr said:

This may have something to do with not getting enough sleep last night

That always affects me in the worst way too...hope you're able to get caught up on sleep soon.

13 hours ago, Mistr said:

Dumbledore got the title transferred for his mom's car. He is finding it super handy to have a car of his own. Elf did not ask to use the car much, but Dumbledore and Elf always seemed to want to use it at the same time. We now have three cars and three drivers (until Cleo is cleared by her neurologist). This means Elf can work afternoon/evening hours on the far side of town and Dumbledore can go to the gym and run errands whenever he wants. Major win.

Wonderful news! Hope Elf is happy in the new job :) 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Challenge Wrap-up

I'm still frustrated with not being back in good shape yet, but I am getting back into a routine.

1) Mental Health. Doing okay. I feel uneasy about not getting as much done, but I am taking time to relax and not being a stress bunny.

2) Exercise. Slowly picking up again. I have been doing one strength session a week instead of two as planned. I am happy about learning to use the rowing machine. I have been back to the dojo several times. My aikido is fine but getting up off the floor is much harder than it should be. Just have to keep working out.

3) Food. Not snacking is good, but clearly not enough. My weight is still up. I notice when I want to eat for emotional reasons, but that is not enough to persuade myself not to eat.

I will keep working on all of these next challenge. See you soon!

• Like 3

Level 75  Viking paladin