Scaly Freak settles in for a long wait

11 hours ago, Heidi said:

UGH! I hate these sorts of journals, both the schmaltzy sickening ones and the polar opposite hyper-poison ones that seem to stoke resentment, not gratitude. Glad you found one that works for you and yes, I love that it’s “for tired-ass people.” ❤️ 

Look for the journal title and "journal" on Etsy and you should be able to find it easily. If not, I'll post a link when I'm in less of a hurry.

11 hours ago, Heidi said:

I’m very interested in this. Does it help? What’s on it?

She has actually sent me several now. They are in the Better Help app, but I'm downloading them as PDFs for when my app access goes away. I'll see if I can share them at some point, or if there is legalese that makes it a very bad idea to share them in the forum.

For everyone who asked: The phone interview seemed to go well. The recruiter said my application is going to the hiring manager, who then decides if I get a second interview with them or not. So now I wait to see if that actually happens.

• Like 6

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

Spell casting updates"

Activate daily resilience buff

Thursday: Completely forgot all about meditation until I saw @Kishi mention it in a post in the evening. So I meditated last night, but the whole point is to start the day on a positive note, so that doesn't count.

Friday: I made Alexa remind me to meditate in the morning, just to make sure I wouldn't forget a second time. I didn't. :) 

Cast healing spells during the day

Thursday: Short walk in the cold weather with the usual companion. Then left Happy Sidekick home with Husband and went back out to walk more.

Friday: Pouring rain and obnoxious winds again, because apparently it's spring now. 😒 Did stretching exercises for my back and shoulders instead.

Apply regeneration talisman

Thursday: Did the page I missed during my first attempt, and then did a full set of two pages for Thursday.

Friday: Briefly going back to my older Wondrous Talisman of Fire-fighting (WTF for short), which is a notebook with lined pages, and the most recent anti-anxiety worksheet that T4 sent this morning.

• Like 10
  • That's Metal 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

Picard Season 3 is back to bad pacing and questionable dialogue writing decisions. :( 

S3E8 spoiler

Spoiler

I'm sure everyone who's seen this episode can picture the exact moment that Husband exclaimed "he's holding a thermal detonator!", while I facepalmed.

• Sad 1

On 4/6/2023 at 1:03 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Had a phone screening/interview that ended right at noon, so we took Happy Sidekick for her daily walk after that. The clouds and wind and rain were gone and there was sun and blue sky and my mental health was purring.

I have realized that I used my beautiful new talisman incorrectly. By folding the journal over and look only at one page at a time, I missed the fact that each day has two pages -- the one on the left and the one on the right. The left-side page has "shorter" prompts with boxes to write in. The right-hand page has one big prompt and lots of empty space, and the prompts lean towards the more hardcore kind of introspection. Clearly, to get the full benefit of my Fantastical Talisman of Sarcasm I need to use both pages. 

Great! Hope the interview went well. What kind of a position are you applying for?

I think it doesn't really matter if you fill one or two pages in one sitting as long as it brings you some positive emotions or useful insights ;)

• Like 2

Veni, vidi, vici. 

10 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Look for the journal title and "journal" on Etsy and you should be able to find it easily. If not, I'll post a link when I'm in less of a hurry.

Thanks! I use a basic ruled journal refill inside a cover that I love, but I will definitely be recommending this particular journal to others. :) 

She has actually sent me several now. They are in the Better Help app, but I'm downloading them as PDFs for when my app access goes away. I'll see if I can share them at some point, or if there is legalese that makes it a very bad idea to share them in the forum.

Oooo, if this passes muster it would be great.

For everyone who asked: The phone interview seemed to go well.

Thank you for the update — I don’t ask because I’m trying very hard to focus on non-work things ❤️ but you know I was wondering.

I believe in you.

The Universe loves you and wants you to be happy; if not this interview, then there will be one soon.

Jason Sudeikis Good Luck GIF by Apple TV+

1 hour ago, XBlackWidowX said:

I think it doesn't really matter if you fill one or two pages in one sitting as long as it brings you some positive emotions or useful insights ;)

100% this.

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

6 hours ago, XBlackWidowX said:

Great! Hope the interview went well. What kind of a position are you applying for?

The type that typically have the words "training", or "learning & development, or "knowledge management" or "talent development" in the job title. Different companies call it different things, but it essentially means that I am involved with the internal training that companies give their employees to help them do their job. I am also looking for fully remote/WFH positions, because mental health.

6 hours ago, XBlackWidowX said:

Agreed. But it bothers my sense of symmetry to leave the second page for later. :D 

4 hours ago, Heidi said:

Thank you for the update — I don’t ask because I’m trying very hard to focus on non-work things 

As you should. Don't de-prioritize your own mental health for mere curiosity. :) 

4 hours ago, Heidi said:

The Universe loves you and wants you to be happy; if not this interview, then there will be one soon.

I needed this reminder. Thank you.

• Like 1

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

Saturday:

Meditated while Happy Sidekick snored on the floor next to me.

Evening walk with Happy Sidekick and Husband.

The poor dog's arthritis has advanced to the point we will need to shorten the walk even further. We may need to split it into two or three very short walks, even. The deterioration of the cartilage in her hip joints has advanced to her lower spine, and she is on multiple pain medications, so walking too far or too fast is not good for her. It is unfortunately also far too easy to do, because dogs don't pace themselves, and they hide their pain well.

On the other hand, going for walks  is critically important to her mental health, we have both noticed how she becomes visibly miserable and anxious when she doesn't get her walks, so we have to figure this out.  When we adopted this intelligent and sweet animal we made her fully dependent on us for every aspect of her well-being, and that means we owe it to her to do whatever it takes to take as good care of her as we possibly can.

Wrote in the Fantastical Talisman of Sarcasm again. Husband continues to find the cover amusing, and also continues to give me solitude and silence when he sees me write in it, regardless of whether we're in the same room or not, which I greatly appreciate. I think it's helping. The act of sitting down and focusing my thoughts is providing benefits similar to my morning meditation, which was the plan. 

• Like 10

Dog snores seem like excellent background noise for meditation. I imagine dreaming dogs might be distracting, though - my dog occasionally woofs repeatedly in his sleep. 

5 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

The poor dog's arthritis has advanced to the point we will need to shorten the walk even further. We may need to split it into two or three very short walks, even. The deterioration of the cartilage in her hip joints has advanced to her lower spine, and she is on multiple pain medications, so walking too far or too fast is not good for her. It is unfortunately also far too easy to do, because dogs don't pace themselves, and they hide their pain well.

On the other hand, going for walks  is critically important to her mental health, we have both noticed how she becomes visibly miserable and anxious when she doesn't get her walks, so we have to figure this out.  When we adopted this intelligent and sweet animal we made her fully dependent on us for every aspect of her well-being, and that means we owe it to her to do whatever it takes to take as good care of her as we possibly can.

Aw poor girl :(. Chronic issues like these can be really tough to manage in pets (both in terms of finding solutions and coping emotionally), speaking from personal experience. I have a couple of brainstorming ideas below - spoilered because I know unsolicited medical advice can be stressful even when it's not for our personal health issues.

Spoiler

Is the walking most important for her or the getting out/spending time with her people/seeing and sniffing different things? One of my family members used a dog stroller for her large dog after an injury so that the dog could still join them on walks with their other dogs. Maybe something like that would work for Happy Sidekick, especially if she could get out occasionally for a short stroll/sniff? And then you could go on the longer/faster walks that you need, too. 

On the medication side - they are also looking into Librela injections, which I think is a relatively new product for dogs with arthritis. It contains an antibody that targets a protein involved in pain and inflammation, so it works differently than a lot of the more traditional pain meds. Just wanted to mention it in case you or your vet weren't familiar with it.  

strollers-article-2.jpg

• Like 7

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

Sunday: 

Morning meditation after feeding the sidekicks.

We had Easter brunch with the local family, on the large patio in their backyard. We also spent a lot of time playing with the dogs and the sibling kids in that same backyard, so a very large amount of sun and sky was had. (Also a lot of exhaustion... lots of socializing with energetic kids have that effect.) Also a very short morning walk with Happy Sidekick.

The Fantastical Talisman of Sarcasm wants me to pick an "asshole of the day" this evening. I'm not sure I have actually encountered one in person today... I may have to turn to local politics to find one. 😈

• Like 9

I somehow doubt the purpose of the Talisman's quest for an asshole of the day is to actively have you expose yourself to assholery just to find one. I'd leave it blank and revel in the thought that I haven't been exposed to any asshole for a whole day. :)

• Like 4

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

6 hours ago, Jean said:

I somehow doubt the purpose of the Talisman's quest for an asshole of the day is to actively have you expose yourself to assholery just to find one. I'd leave it blank and revel in the thought that I haven't been exposed to any asshole for a whole day. :)

I like this approach! Though while I was using the Talisman, late at night, a person drove through our neighborhood in a very loud car, while playing very loud music, so... thank you, Universe?

• Haha 6

And this, specifically, is why I lament not having psychic powers that can take engines and send them to a better world (for them), leaving the car and their driver an empty husk devoid of soul.

Put that asshole in a box with your mighty Pen of Equanimity. 😈

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 2:01 AM, Scaly Freak said:

The act of sitting down and focusing my thoughts is providing benefits similar to my morning meditation, which was the plan. 

I really like this for you.

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Monday:

Monday was lost in a haze of smoke caused by The Flame, and powerful mental toxin spells cast by both Procrastination and Self-Sabotage. I kept the routine, meditated in the morning, walked during the day, journaled in the evening, but the best I can envision is that this kept things from getting worse. I spent a portion of the evening reflecting on what might have caused this day to sink the way it did, and I believe I made some progress in that area at least.

Tuesday:

Meditated with morning coffee. Also applied the Wondrous Talisman of Fire-fighting, on the assumption that Monday might have lasting effects, and Meditation alone might not be enough to counter any lingering debuffs.

Walked with Happy Sidekick as usual, then Husband and I put on our weighted vests and went back out for a longer and slightly faster walk together. We took a second walk in the early evening as well, because Husband was feeling restless and wanted to get out of the house.

I will do this after I finish watching the Lakers try to keep up with the Timberwolves in the NBA play-in game. It's an intensely frustrating game to watch.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Monday was lost in a haze of smoke caused by The Flame, and powerful mental toxin spells cast by both Procrastination and Self-Sabotage. I kept the routine, meditated in the morning, walked during the day, journaled in the evening, but the best I can envision is that this kept things from getting worse. I spent a portion of the evening reflecting on what might have caused this day to sink the way it did, and I believe I made some progress in that area at least.

My Monday was similar in terms of negative emotions and I don't even know why I got such anxiety relapse 😕 But we got it, right? There are better and worse days.

8 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Walked with Happy Sidekick as usual, then Husband and I put on our weighted vests and went back out for a longer and slightly faster walk together.

Oh, that's something new! How does it feel? Are you very tired after such a "weighted" walk?

I am sorry to hear your dog feels unwell! I hope you'll find a way to make it better for her. When my brother's dog had trouble walking, he bought a kind of a wheelchair (or whatever it is a called) for him, have you thought about it?

Veni, vidi, vici. 

Sweet zombies. Job interviews are exhausting.

• Like 5

Just now, Scaly Freak said:

They really are. I hope you have some excellent self care/recovery lined up. 

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Scrolling back and catching up on posts...

@KB Girl and @XBlackWidowX, a dog stroller is a good idea, but even if they weren't rather expensive, the act of walking seems to be important to Happy Sidekick. This is very clear on days when she gets a car ride, but no walking.

8 hours ago, Sovalis said:

They really are. I hope you have some excellent self care/recovery lined up. 

I went for a long walk, and at some point this evening I plan to soak in a bath.

• Like 5

Wednesday:

Meditated more than usual, in anticipation of stress right before the job interview, and anxiety hangover after. This was a wise decision. 

I'm also, based on how much the extra meditation helped, thinking that I need to increase the amount of time set aside for meditation. I typically do 10-20 minutes. I may need to set 15 or 20 as the minimum and aim higher, until chaos no longer reigns.

Walked for "lunch break" and again at the end of the work day.

FT of Sarcasm continues to be a worthwhile investment.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I'm also, based on how much the extra meditation helped, thinking that I need to increase the amount of time set aside for meditation. I typically do 10-20 minutes. I may need to set 15 or 20 as the minimum and aim higher, until chaos no longer reigns.

Mm. More time is good. I would advise, though, that if you can't make that time initially that you don't stop doing what you can do. I say this as someone who's done just that. -_-

• Like 3
On 4/12/2023 at 2:20 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Lord have mercy they are a nightmare.

I am glad you had self-care lined up! Good thinking!!

May you have restfulness and a calm spirit.

5 hours ago, Kishi said:

Mm. More time is good. I would advise, though, that if you can't make that time initially that you don't stop doing what you can do. I say this as someone who's done just that. -_-

Hard agree. This is wisdom. Longer isn’t necessarily better, and sometimes opens the door to the inner critic of not being enough.
you are enough.

just as you are.

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

8 hours ago, Kishi said:

I have made this mistake in the past myself. Thank you for the reminder, I have a tendency to forget that it's a bad idea to pass on meditation to do it "later today". 

2 hours ago, Heidi said:

Lord have mercy they are a nightmare.

I am glad you had self-care lined up! Good thinking!!

Well... let's just say that I didn't for my very first phone screening, and I learned my lesson. 😒

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

I am glad you are getting in lots of walks, with and without Happy Sidekick.

Good for you on doing interviews! You are bravely fighting the demons and beating them back. It make take several more skirmishes, but you are going to win this boss battle.

Job interviews as demons, that can be defeated with Charm spells and Charisma checks....? I like this reframing! :) 

• Like 3