Scaly Freak settles in for a long wait

Thursday:

Activate daily resilience buff

When I am very stressed I rely heavily to familiar meditation tracks in Insight Timer, so I never venture outside the bookmarks.... which, as it turns out, is a shame, because there is good stuff in the Recently Added section. I'm going to set aside a few minutes every morning to browse and look for new teachers to add to my own personal library

Cast healing spells during the day

We seem to have arrived at a habit of walking twice per day: During lunch, and after "work". This is helping.

Apply regeneration talisman

Son of a.... I knew I forgot something!

• Like 8
  • That's Metal 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

On 4/10/2023 at 4:36 PM, Scaly Freak said:

I like this approach! Though while I was using the Talisman, late at night, a person drove through our neighborhood in a very loud car, while playing very loud music, so... thank you, Universe?

giphy.gif

Great job tackling the application stress with the extra meditating! 

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

Friday:

Meditated again in the morning.

Dual walks again, one with the Happy Sidekick and one without.

Forgot again.... which is not good. This breaks my never-two-in-a-row policy, and it also comes dangerously close to breaking the entire habit. The FTS talisman has now been placed on my pillow on the bed, with a pen. This will make it a lot more difficult for me to forget about it.

• Like 6

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

11 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Forgot again.... which is not good. This breaks my never-two-in-a-row policy, and it also comes dangerously close to breaking the entire habit. The FTS talisman has now been placed on my pillow on the bed, with a pen. This will make it a lot more difficult for me to forget about it.

New habits that are time-sensitive are always extra tricky. Putting the FTS on your pillow is a great idea! Could you also journal the next morning as a back up in cases where you forget (while you're still forming the habit)? Or would that tempt Procrastination too much? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alanna said:

New habits that are time-sensitive are always extra tricky. Putting the FTS on your pillow is a great idea! Could you also journal the next morning as a back up in cases where you forget (while you're still forming the habit)? Or would that tempt Procrastination too much? 

That would definitely create an opportunity for Procrastination. That said, I have journaled in the FTS talisman in the morning when anxiety was destructively high, and the Meditation needed help. For now, I have decided to keep the Fantastical Talisman of Sarcasm on the pillow or headboard on my side of the bed, because it worked beautifully last night.

Now, I need to go meditate. (I sleep in on weekends :) )

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

That would definitely create an opportunity for Procrastination. That said, I have journaled in the FTS talisman in the morning when anxiety was destructively high, and the Meditation needed help. For now, I have decided to keep the Fantastical Talisman of Sarcasm on the pillow or headboard on my side of the bed, because it worked beautifully last night.

Good shout using the FTS as an extra buff when needed :).  I'm glad the pillow strategy worked well for you - good troubleshooting!

Now, I need to go meditate. (I sleep in on weekends :) )

Because of the time zone differences, I hadn't even clocked that you were meditating relatively late! It's already very dark here 😅

• Like 1

Saturday: Forgot meditation in the morning.

Sunday: Remembered! 

Saturday and Sunday: Averaged 2.5 walks per day over the weekend. The weather has moved into late spring and while it's still windy, the rains seem to have left.

Saturday: As mentioned above, I remembered! :) 

Sunday: Since I was smart and put the FTS on the headboard last night after using it, I'm remembering again tonight. I'm going to go write in it after posting this.

• Like 5

Monday & Tuesday: Found a 10-day course called "Awakening to a Life of Gratitude", that I am now working my way through. Yes, there is a pattern here. T4 confirmed that focusing on gratitude is one of the most effective ways to redirect the brain away from anxiety and depression and help it form more positive thought patterns, so I'm going all-in on this.

Monday & Tuesday: Yep. The warm spring weather has left us, while snickering condescendingly, and freezing cold winds have returned. Thankfully the leather jacket is wind proof.

Monday & Tuesday: The FTS notebook has permanently moved to the bed's headboard, and has bene written in every evening. I have adjusted my approach and treat the second page as optional, depending on what it wants me to do and how I'm feeling that evening. I have gone back to one or two of them after the fact when I felt like it, and plan to continue to do this.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Monday & Tuesday: Found a 10-day course called "Awakening to a Life of Gratitude", that I am now working my way through. Yes, there is a pattern here. T4 confirmed that focusing on gratitude is one of the most effective ways to redirect the brain away from anxiety and depression and help it form more positive thought patterns, so I'm going all-in on this.

Good luck with the course! Recently I've figured out that gratitude is really helpful although it seemed incredibly cheesy for me at first. 

8 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I have adjusted my approach and treat the second page as optional, depending on what it wants me to do and how I'm feeling that evening. I have gone back to one or two of them after the fact when I felt like it, and plan to continue to do this.

Good! Flexibility is very important to feel comfortable with your goals ;) 

It seems we started journaling almost at the same time. At first I wasn't so convinced about it, becasue I felt like I don't have any interesting thoughts or insights to put them down, but after some time it got easier and I am enjoying the process. Probably it just required some practise, like anything else.

• Like 1

Veni, vidi, vici. 

Wednesday:

Continued meditating with the Gratitude course.

Bundled up in winter coats for a short walk in the freezing wind, while snow flakes and hail swirled around us. Because it's spring weather. Yay.

Bypassed the talismans in favor of reflecting on career opportunities and life choices during an evening walk with Husband. Will resume talisman applications this evening, per the never-two-in-a-row policy.

• Like 6

So, a few people in this thread have asked about the worksheets that T4 sends me.

In today's appointment, the subject came up of accessing these worksheets after my free sessions run out and my BetterHelp account turned off. T4 informed me that the sheets are actually hosted on a public website where they are available to anyone who wants them, free of charge. So here are links to the ones I have used, in no particular order. (The site logo in the upper left goes to the site's main search feature and navigation tiles)

Coping skills: Anxiety

Coping skills: Depression

Gratitude Exercises

Gratitude Journal

Distress Tolerance Skills

Leaves on a Stream

What is Mindfulness?

DBT Skill: ACCEPTS

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Thursday:

Meditated with cat on lap. Must try to convince Feisty Sidekick to do this more often.

Still chilly, but less windy at least. Walking was done twice, as has become the norm.

The never-two-in-a-row policy remains in effect. I colored the little monsters on Page 2, but refrained from writing on it, as it was intended as a venting Rage Page. I'm sure I'll have reasons to come back to this page in the future though. :D 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Meditated with cat on lap. Must try to convince Feisty Sidekick to do this more often.

I have only had that happen a couple times, because Dumbledore is Amber's preferred human. I found I was encouraged to meditate longer because I did not want to disturb the cat. The purring is nice too. 😸

• Like 1

Level 75  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I found I was encouraged to meditate longer because I did not want to disturb the cat.

This is exactly what happened. And the mere presence of a sleeping cat is incredibly relaxing.

• Like 1

Friday:

The Gratitude course continues to be insightful. It's working it's way through topics to be grateful for, starting with the self (body, mind, etc) and working its way out into the world around me.

Walked halfway through the day and after "work", as is the norm. (Job interviews continue to be a source of stress, but seem to become a little bit easier with time and practice. We've started going for walks after finishing an interview,  so I can walk off the adrenaline.) I also had a therapy appointment, which is a powerful healing spell and regeneration buff all at once.

Nope. After a long and stressful day, Husband decided I needed a break and some fun, so he decided we were going to have a date night, with dinner at our favorite restaurant and a movie night at home after. It took next to no time at all for him to convince me this was a good idea. :D  So no talismans, but date night is a quite a powerful restorative artefact in its own right. Slept well and feel great this morning. :) 

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

On 4/22/2023 at 5:13 PM, Scaly Freak said:

After a long and stressful day, Husband decided I needed a break and some fun, so he decided we were going to have a date night, with dinner at our favorite restaurant and a movie night at home after. It took next to no time at all for him to convince me this was a good idea. :D  So no talismans, but date night is a quite a powerful restorative artefact in its own right. Slept well and feel great this morning. :) 

That sounds very nice and with excellent results :) 

On 4/21/2023 at 2:58 AM, Scaly Freak said:

In today's appointment, the subject came up of accessing these worksheets after my free sessions run out and my BetterHelp account turned off. T4 informed me that the sheets are actually hosted on a public website where they are available to anyone who wants them, free of charge. So here are links to the ones I have used, in no particular order. (The site logo in the upper left goes to the site's main search feature and navigation tiles)

Thanks for sharing! 

I like the extra options for gratitude practicing they've listed and that leave on a stream exercise is very interesting.

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Weekend update:

I remembered to meditate one out of two mornings this weekend. This is better than it used to be but not as good as it should be.

Walked twice on Saturday, but the weather interfered on Sunday. Questionable silver lining is that I spent a lot of Sunday learning just how important the daily walks are for stoking The Flame and preventing it from flaring into a bad anxiety day.

The Fantastical Talisman of Sarcasm was applied both weekend evenings.

• Like 4

Monday was a weird day. Not going to bother with updates. Instead, today/Tuesday:

I forgot to meditate until fairly late in the morning, but took care of it as soon as I did remember. So there is that.

Walked in the late morning, and again after the mid-day job interview so I could vent about it and burn off stress,

I have a new talisman!  Recently Husband decided that an old elliptical, that we never got around to move back into the house after we put it in the garage "temporarily" to make room for a Christmas tree a few years ago (one of Procrastination's greatest triumphs), has been in the garage long enough and there's no excuse to leaving it there any longer. I have no idea where this sudden determination came from, but in an effort to be a good partner I assisted with lifting and carrying and positioning and cleaning it off (thoroughly!), and now we have a piece of workout equipment positioned at an angle that allows for near-optimal TV watching. 

The Exhausting Talisman of Cardio has been used once already, and it is indeed quite exhausting. I'm looking forward to making use of it in the evenings though.

Editing the day after to add that I did apply the Fantastical Talisman of Sarcasm as well.

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

I have a new talisman!  Recently Husband decided that an old elliptical, that we never got around to move back into the house after we put it in the garage "temporarily" to make room for a Christmas tree a few years ago (one of Procrastination's greatest triumphs), has been in the garage long enough and there's no excuse to leaving it there any longer. I have no idea where this sudden determination came from, but in an effort to be a good partner I assisted with lifting and carrying and positioning and cleaning it off (thoroughly!), and now we have a piece of workout equipment positioned at an angle that allows for near-optimal TV watching. 

Sometimes it's very hard to force yourself to do something when it was already  put off for a long time, right? Great you got it covered though! We have an exercise bike at home and for my husband it is easier to get motivated for this kind of workout. 

Good luck with the evening workouts! ;)

Veni, vidi, vici. 

32 minutes ago, XBlackWidowX said:

Sometimes it's very hard to force yourself to do something when it was already  put off for a long time, right?

It is!

However, I did it for the first time during a critical playoff game for my NBA team. The game was very close, and my team won in over-time. And sports fans are superstitious, so this means I need to work out throughout the second quarter for as long as the Lakers are still in the playoffs. I'm hoping they will at a minimum go deep enough for me to develop a habit. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

The game was very close, and my team won in over-time. And sports fans are superstitious, so this means I need to work out throughout the second quarter for as long as the Lakers are still in the playoffs. I'm hoping they will at a minimum go deep enough for me to develop a habit.

hahaha, it is almost as if you were playing together with them :D

Veni, vidi, vici. 

2 minutes ago, XBlackWidowX said:

hahaha, it is almost as if you were playing together with them :D

I think I was working harder than most of the players. It was a very frustrating quarter to watch. 🙄

• Haha 2

On 4/20/2023 at 9:58 PM, Scaly Freak said:

So, a few people in this thread have asked about the worksheets that T4 sends me.

Coping skills: Anxiety

Coping skills: Depression

Gratitude Exercises

Gratitude Journal

Distress Tolerance Skills

Leaves on a Stream

Thanks for the links. I'll be downloading all the sheets first thing when I get home.

• Like 1

Wednesday:

Completed day 6 of the gratitude course.

On midday walk, and one mid-afternoon walk. As the weather gets hotter we're going to need to change these up, as the heat and UV rays are at their peak in the afternoon.

Applied the Exhausting Talisman of Cardio while watching the Lakers repeatedly gifting the win of this evening's playoff game to their opponent. Yes, I'm a little frustrated.

• Like 2

Another fan-girl moment while playing Lord of the Rings Online...

Spoiler

Hail Ringbearer.jpg

• Like 3