[TrashcanCarla] Chapter 4 - Ready for Summer Adventures

My best friend is coming to visit shortly after this challenge ends, and she'll be bringing along her son and husband. I cannot wait, but then again, I totally can... because I want to be in better shape for their visit. We are all going to visit Lake Tahoe and will be hiking and probably kayaking on the lake, and I want to be ready. Most of my goals will support that mission. Last challenge I lost exactly 12 pounds! Today I am 239.8 pounds and would like to get down to 227.8 pounds or so by the time they come to visit. Can I lose another 12 pounds? I think it's possible and am all for it!

#1 - 4.5 hours of exercise per week, exclusive of walks

I'll be doing both strength training work and cardio, as well as one HIIT kettlebell workout  per week. I want to have the strength and endurance to hit those hikes with gusto, to paddle my son around on the lake, to maybe even go for a jog or do a workout at high altitude. I hope to surpass 4.5 hours as the weeks progress.

#2 - write or art for 30 minutes, 3x a week

I managed to completely avoid a version of this goal in the last challenge, and so I'm including it here. Last time, I asked for myself to do 45 minutes of art or writing 4x a week. I've lowered my bar and will see what I can do this time.

#3 - spend 2+ hours sans-kid out in the world, 4x during challenge

I'm already finding from my first foray out into childfree activity last week that I enjoy it very much. As a stay at home mom, my world is my son. That's made me a bit overly wrapped up in the role of mom, I think. It's time to plan for and spend some time out and about without him, just for a little bit. 

#4 - take son either on a hike or to the local swimming pool, 1x a week

My son is not comfortable around water yet and I want to change that. Hence the swimming pool visits. I hope that I can get him to really like the swimming pool. Splashing in the water can be so much fun! I have him signed up for swim lessons in August, and hope to have him acclimated and excited about being in the water before then. Also, we haven't been hiking together since he was about 25 pounds and I used to carry him on my person. I want him (and myself) to become more acquainted with hiking again. This time he'll be on his own two feet. He loves being outside and observing everything, so I think he'll love our more regular hikes.

#5 - control budget better by reducing food delivery orders to once every two weeks (3x in challenge)

We have been spending way too much money on delivery food. That is all that needs to be said.

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

“Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow.” Carrie Fisher

Right on! So excited for this!

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Update, 11:30am:

I'm planning to do an hour of exercise, or more: 40 minutes of cardio dance plus about 25 minutes of upper body strength training.

Aside from challenge goals, I've got a few things to take care of...

- pick up medication from pharmacy

- sweep and mop

- tidy downstairs

- put laundry away

- do dishes

- set dentist appointment

• Like 2

“Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow.” Carrie Fisher

Nice-looking challenge. Alone-time without the kids is SO important! 👍

Here to cheer you on!!!

• Like 2

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet) | 31 Day Habit Challenge - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

Oh wow, this is a really ambitious challenge. I hope the prep goes wonderfully and you're super strong and fit for the hiking and kayaking!

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

5 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Nice-looking challenge. Alone-time without the kids is SO important! 👍

Here to cheer you on!!!

Thanks! Yeah, I need to take more time away from my son. We are practically the same person at this point, haha.

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

How you doing TC? x

See below, my friend!

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oh wow, this is a really ambitious challenge. I hope the prep goes wonderfully and you're super strong and fit for the hiking and kayaking!

Thank you! I am indeed hoping to slay on the hiking trails same so forth!

+++

So, this is definitely a "zero week" for me, this time around. I've been overeating since last Sunday and skipped a workout yesterday... Not great. I did do an awesome workout on Monday, just as I planned to, but was kind of too busy Tuesday and Wednesday to get my sweat on. And now I'm a bit sick and therefore won't be exercising today so that I can continue resting. My throat is a bit sore and my head's congested and aches. Hopefully this illness will be past soon.

In the meantime, I know that I can work on moderating my eating today, drink more water than I had been the last few days, and take care of myself.

Maybe I can get back to exercising tomorrow.

Anyway, trying to keep my spirits up despite feeling yucky. Will make a plan to have some alone time this weekend, assuming that I'll be better by then!

• Like 3

Hope this illness passes quickly and completely and you are back to your vivacious self soon! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Update: still a bit sick. I think the worst of it will be over by tomorrow but am impatient. Partly, I want to just get back to exercising, but I wonder if that's really the most helpful thing I can do to help my cold.

I'm a bit headachey, have a slightly achey throat and am still head congested.

Debating laying low except with a nice longer walk for my son and doggo's sake.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 9:32 AM, TrashcanCarla said:

write or art for 30 minutes, 3x a week

I managed to completely avoid a version of this goal in the last challenge, and so I'm including it here. Last time, I asked for myself to do 45 minutes of art or writing 4x a week. I've lowered my bar and will see what I can do this time.

Love this! I have phases where I get really into my art and then drop it completely. Committing anything to it and recognizing your limits and needs is a very good thing.

• Like 1
On 5/7/2023 at 4:13 AM, Salinger said:

How are you feeling today? Sending healing vibes xx

Hey Sal! Thank you for checking in. I'm doing much better, thank you. I hate getting sick!

I noticed that whenever I get sick I let myself loose on food and while that usually isn't the worst (I don't binge, per se), this time it was. Somehow, I gained 6.3 pounds in one week. I am floored. I know that much of it is likely water retention, but still. I've really undone weeks of effort in one week and that makes me sad.

All that I can do is clamp down on my efforts over the next three weeks and hope that I can play catch up a little.

My plan until my MIL visits in 3 weeks:

- no alcohol at all

- strictly adhere to macros and calorie goals

- increase my exercise volume from 4.5 hours to at least 6 per week

- drink at least 2L of water daily

We'll see what I can accomplish.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TrashcanCarla said:

I noticed that whenever I get sick I let myself loose on food and while that usually isn't the worst (I don't binge, per se), this time it was.

As someone who can still eat like normal when sick, I can say that this is actually a good way to recover from the sickness faster.

Also: water retention.

I'm hoping the scale goes back in your favour next week!

• Like 3

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet) | 31 Day Habit Challenge - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

How are things, TrashcanCarla?