[Alanna] Sun's here, pistol squats are near

With the weather warming up, I'm reframing the old "sun's out, guns out" slogan to focus on the important artillery - not these guns

flex-cam-muscle.gif

but these:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e474rr0t1shh3i7628m53

i.e., pistol squats!

I made some good progress towards my first pistol squat last challenge, so we'll see if I can achieve one this time around. I'm following GMB's pistol squat progression (below) and supplementing it with additional single leg exercises for additional strength and mobility work.

Spoiler

Overall I'm keeping my goals simple since life is still a bit crazy:

• Goal 1: Train at least 2x/week, including some sort of leg work for at least 2 sessions, too (tracking leg work with 🔫 and other sessions with 💪)
  • Goal 2: Take my darn supplements every day (tracking with 💊)

Other stuff that's going on:

• I'm travelling in early June, so I'll time that with a deload. 
  • My pull up bar is now installed, so I have a lot more exercise options! I thought about making that the focus on this challenge, but really want to nail the pistol squats first since they feel so close. However, I'll still spend some time hanging out on the bar.
  • Gardening -  mostly veg with some flowers mixed in. 
  • Job search/job search prep/career skill building. 

I'll use Zero Week as a warm up and start tracking with Week 1. 

pistol-squat-strong.gif

• Like 6

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

• Alanna changed the title to [Alanna] Sun's here, pistol squats are near

Here for all the pistol squat badassery.

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2023

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46

37 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Here for all the pistol squat badassery.

There is a pun here somewhere... 

booty motivation GIF by Derrimut 24:7 Gym

13 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

Those look so difficult and impressive! Wow!! Congratulations on being so close to something so cool! Here to follow!

Thanks! You never know with some of these skill-based movements - either I'm close or it will be another year 😅. But I definitely won't be doing those pistol squat box jumps anytime soon!

• Like 1

Just now, Alanna said:

There is a pun here somewhere... 

booty motivation GIF by Derrimut 24:7 Gym

Indeed there is. Always a pleasure when they are noticed. :) 

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2023

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46

I haven't seen a pistol squat progression starting from the floor before! Interesting. Good luck mastering the pistols!

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 5/2/2023 at 11:45 AM, Harriet said:

I haven't seen a pistol squat progression starting from the floor before! Interesting. Good luck mastering the pistols!

GMB's tutorials are great - they often come at a skill from a different angle.

Didn't you join me for my rolling-into-a-squat practice sometime last year (when I first started working towards pistol squats)? That's the first step in this progression!

16 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Sun's out, buns out!

I missed a trick there 😆

(although I'll admit I've been more enthusiastic about my quad growth so far!)

12 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Pistols are very cool! but your first harvest is even cooler :D and impressive, that's early. I've only had some salad so far! 

It's mostly salad on my end, too! My beetroot plants are still very small - that was a sacrificial seedling that was tangled up with another one.  My lettuce plants are still pretty small too, but I have a LOT of them so I figured I'd start harvesting with a "cut and come again" approach from the ones in pots. I started growing indoors in March, so it feels like it's taken a while - I'm sure things will grow much faster now that the days are warmer and lighter, though!

------------

Update:

Missed my supplement window yesterday, but took them today - I need to refill my pill container and find a better place for it (I can no longer leave it out and visible because of my very tall dog).

I had a lighter training session yesterday, as I was still pretty sore from Sunday's session - I focused on long-legged monkey, front scales, and rolling into and balancing in the bottom pistol squat position. Also did some push-ups.

Ideally I should start logging my training again, and maybe put together a programme instead of winging my sessions 😅 - however, the flexibility/autoregulation has definitely been helpful and it's something I want to keep. My recent conversation with @KB Girl about my supplemental pistol squat exercises helped me formalise why I've gravitated towards certain exercises. I think that sort of framework could be the basis of a flexible programme, too - I'm thinking of making a chart of the key exercises I've chosen to focus on for a training cycle (e.g., rolling pistol squat progression, front scales, long legged monkey, bulgarian split squats, and side lunges, plus some upper body work) and then checking off the days that I do them (or maybe even recording the overall RPE for the performed exercises). That approach would ensure that I rotate the exercises in a way that makes sense and also vary the overall intensity - especially with the tracking on one page. It would feel weird not writing down reps and sets, but feel those only capture a small part of the exercise difficult since movement quality, speed, and exact positioning matter so much for these exercises. I could still take separate session notes on how the exercises feel and whether I hit any milestones, such as rep PRs, too. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Alanna said:

I missed a trick there 😆

(although I'll admit I've been more enthusiastic about my quad growth so far!)

I couldn't think of anything that rhymes with gams, so you got stuck with the bootie shorts. :D

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 hour ago, Alanna said:

however, the flexibility/autoregulation has definitely been helpful and it's something I want to keep.

This really helps me with overcoming resistance (the all or something part) and enjoying training more. Though I do struggle with the idea that if I followed a stricter program I'd make more progress- but trying to follow a stricter program kills my consistency so it ends up being less progress and ugh x)

Have you seen my logs? I think they'd work fairly well for what you're trying to achieve. 

• Like 2

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

44 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I couldn't think of anything that rhymes with gams, so you got stuck with the bootie shorts. :D

Hmmm.... sun plods, sore quads 😅 

(probably a more accurate description of the UK sun: plodding across the sky, trying to shine)

9 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

This really helps me with overcoming resistance (the all or something part) and enjoying training more. Though I do struggle with the idea that if I followed a stricter program I'd make more progress- but trying to follow a stricter program kills my consistency so it ends up being less progress and ugh x)

Have you seen my logs? I think they'd work fairly well for what you're trying to achieve. 

Yeah, I think having some sort of focus, but leaving room for adaptability, works well for me right now. I think your all or something approach worked really well last challenge for you, too!

Did you post any logs last challenge? I think I've seen one, but it might have been last year when I was on the forums more - it would be great to see another example if you don't mind sharing! Yours has colour-coded RPE, right? 

39 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Did you post any logs last challenge? I think I've seen one, but it might have been last year when I was on the forums more - it would be great to see another example if you don't mind sharing! Yours has colour-coded RPE, right? 

That’s right! 
And I still log all the reps and sets, so I can look back. I do miss some sort of overview for specific things, but.. it works well for keeping tabs on what you’ve been doing within the framework you’ve set. And it works well for checking overall intensity. 
I have a photo on my camera roll because I just filled another page;

Spoiler

BFE0CC49-1BF8-4F19-9C72-E04DB60A3AC3.thumb.jpeg.9a621b56159fa2f8c4ef91d19eb01222.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

Following to see the pistol squat progression. 😎

I'd love to do this as well, but I don't have the ankle mobility. I'd just fall on my ass. Or have to assist with my arms to the point where I'm only squatting a fraction of my body weight... 😅

• Like 1

Active challenges: New(ish) routine | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

22 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That’s right! 
And I still log all the reps and sets, so I can look back. I do miss some sort of overview for specific things, but.. it works well for keeping tabs on what you’ve been doing within the framework you’ve set. And it works well for checking overall intensity. 
I have a photo on my camera roll because I just filled another page;

Thank you! I love how tidy and colourful your approach is - you always have lovely bujo pages :)

6 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

I'd love to do this as well, but I don't have the ankle mobility. I'd just fall on my ass.

GMB's progression is basically repeatedly intentionally rolling backwards (i.e., falling on your ass), with style 😆. I do like that there is a controlled way to bail out of the movement - the "sit back as low as you can" approach to pistol squats always made me feel nervous, even with a box or something behind me to sit on.

Long legged monkey has also really helped me improve my ankle mobility!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zero week was a bit of a write-off - I think I've been overworking (due to the job search/skill building) and it's having an impact on my sleep and recovery. The stress doesn't help, either. I did take my supplements over half of the days, though.

After this weekend, I do feel like I've crossed a barrier on the skills side - I now have the foundation and tool kit to enact my ideas, so there's that at least.

Week 1 so far (starting on Monday):

🔫 [Pistols/body-weight training]

💊 [Supplements]

• Like 3

Week 1 through Thursday:

🔫   🔫    [Pistols/body-weight training]

💊 💊     [Supplements]

Kept today's session relatively light, too - did a bit of locomotion (monkey, long-legged monkey, bear, and twisting bear) and then some rolling into pistol squat practice (including stand up and down a few times on each leg). I'm getting more stable in the bottom position, but still need a lot of momentum from the roll to stand up. Wrapped up the session with one chin up. 

• Like 1

You're doing well! I hope getting that movement in is also helping with the stress. 

On 5/10/2023 at 12:39 PM, Alanna said:

After this weekend, I do feel like I've crossed a barrier on the skills side - I now have the foundation and tool kit to enact my ideas, so there's that at least.

Excellent :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KB Girl said:

You're doing well! I hope getting that movement in is also helping with the stress. 

I seem to be having trouble recovering from it, unfortunately :( 

Week 1 through Saturday:

🔫   🔫  🔫  [Pistols/body-weight training]

💊 💊  💊   [Supplements]

Apparently I can only do one goal a day 😅

Training session was pretty easy - long legged monkey, rolling into the bottom squat position (I was able to hold it longer today) and standing up/down once on each leg.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Alanna said:

I seem to be having trouble recovering from it, unfortunately :(

Trouble recovering from the stress or trouble recovering from the movement?

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru