Handstand Training

I never had any interest in doing handstands. I figured I just wasn't coordinated enough. But with the last challenge, I tried one. And it was kinda fun:smug: I was actually able to get up against the wall and do a handstand for, maybe a second. And now Im thinking maybe I could actually learn to do one. I think the main thing is once I get up, my shoulders just aren't strong enough to hold me. So,I have some questions;

What excercises work the same shoulder muscles that handstands do? How can I make my shoulders strong enough to hold me up?

Should I do those exercises first for a while and then practice wall handstands, or keep trying to do them know. It does cause a little pain in my shoulders and I don't want to strain my shoulders. How do you know if your body just isn't ready for an excercise yet?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

NuketheUnicorns: Thanks. I tried crow pose last night. I think I'll work on that. Unfortunately, can't do headstands. They give me a stiff neck.

161.........: Waht is box HSPU? I was doing pike push ups but haven't lately. I'll have to add them back in

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

kettle bells. since i've started using kettle bells i've noticed a lot of areas on my body getting a lot stronger, including my shoulders, but also my abs (squee) and thighs. and i can currently do two handstand push ups.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Urban Scout

STR - 6 DEX - 6 STA - 11 CON - 2 WIS - 4 CHA - 6

My Epic Quest: http://tinyurl.com/7ey2ylw

Most Recent Mission: Visit Chichen Itza (Completed 11/18/12)

I am currently: Level 3 (0% to Level 4)

NuketheUnicorns: Thanks. I tried crow pose last night. I think I'll work on that. Unfortunately, can't do headstands. They give me a stiff neck.

161.........: Waht is box HSPU? I was doing pike push ups but haven't lately. I'll have to add them back in

Box HSPU is like pike push ups, but with your feet elevated so the angle between the torso and the legs is a bit wider.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Overhead press and Turkish Getups -- the former will increase your shoulder strength in general and the latter will get you used to static shoulder holds, especially if you do low rep high weight ones. The TGUs you're basically locking out with the weight above your head the entire time, which is what you need to do for handstands. You can also see how long you can hold dumbbells or the barbell over your head after doing the OHP, and that will also help with your arms/shoulders supporting heavy things with your arms extended.

Something else that I did when I was starting with handstands and I wasn't strong enough to hold it for very long was to put a box under my head which was a couple of inches below where the top of my head would be when I was on my hands. I'd rest my head on the box and kick up into a handstand with my arms taking some of the weight and my head taking some of the weight, and then I'd press up into a full handstand to get my head off the box and hold it as long as I could. When my arms gave out, I'd only sink a few inches back into the handstand where my head was taking some weight and I could either stay there and try to press up again, or come back down and start over. (At the beginning I'd come back down, but after a while I could press up another few times before my arms gave out entirely.) Rinse, repeat, and eventually I didn't need the box anymore.

Keep practicing handstands along with anything else you do. Once you can hold it 5 seconds, you really don't need accessory exercises to help your handstands, just do handstands.

I did DB overhead presses prior to doing handstands. Another exercise that should help with handstands are shrugs.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

MONK INFILTRATION! J/K. I'm a capoeirista, so I know a thing or two about handstands. I'm with Waldo on this one, just go for it even if you can only do a few seconds at a time. There is nothing better to start learning your center of gravity than actually doing it.

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8

I teach handstands almost every single day. And while it is good to go for it I suggest you at least have the proper form and control down first.

Awhile back, Steve posted about a video that I did for Anthony Mychals blog on handstands.

You can find that video here

http://youtu.be/Y3FSeSecjKA

You can also download the complete handstand tutorial for free here.

http://www.goldmedalbodies.com/handstand/

I teach handstands almost every single day. And while it is good to go for it I suggest you at least have the proper form and control down first.

Awhile back, Steve posted about a video that I did for Anthony Mychals blog on handstands.

You can find that video here

http://youtu.be/Y3FSeSecjKA

You can also download the complete handstand tutorial for free here.

http://www.goldmedalbodies.com/handstand/

your second link isn't working just fyi since it seems like that might be your site.

hmm when i went to it earlier it just had some text about maximum number of connections exceeded. Works for me too now though.

Thanks. We had some site trouble but it's up and running now.

Thanks Ryan for giving us feedback, it means a lot having experienced people dropping their wisdom on us. Your videos and GMB are great resources!

Thank you! Just trying to help out. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.