TimovieMan becomes the answer to the Ultimate Question

Stayed up a bit past my curfew on Tuesday. Uhmm... "Tennis Elbow 4". 😇

Sleep has been in the same ballpark this week. Been pushing the curfew a bit with the video gaming,  but sleeping well enough for the length to be acceptable. Could be better, though. But nothing a little sleeping in over the weekend won't fix.

Yesterday was a busy day.

We've ordered one of those semi-permanent above-ground pools for the kids. Not too large: 2m by 3m, and 0.75m depth. Still holds 3800 liters of water, but at least with the filter we should be able to maintain it for the entire summer. And at the end we can empty it in our rain water tank to recover most of it.

But it arrived on Monday, and I had to set it up yesterday, so we can fill it today, so the kids can play in their own pool tomorrow (and probably every day after that since they're both water rats). 😅

Went for an hour-long walk during my daughter's music class.

Foolishly forgot to put on my hiking shoes, though. I was wearing my "backup shoes" since my "regular" summer shoes were still drying from my bike ride through the rain on Tuesday. I don't wear those old shoes often any more, so now I have (minor) blisters above both heels. Should be annoying for a day or two.

Went swimming during my daughter's swim practice. Got 54 lengths (1350m) in 45 minutes, but I felt slow and was really just "going through the motions".

Last class of the season too. There's actually one on Saturday as well, but TimovieDaughter is invited to a classmate's birthday party, which will be at a a subtropical water park with a bunch of water slides and the likes, so that means she'll miss her last swim practice... and will still end up swimming. 🙃

Food was one BIG meal. I made mashed potatoes, meatballs in tomato sauce, and peas. As usual when I make mashed potatoes, I made far too much of it. And since I can't NOT empty the pot afterwards, I ate it all... Again, as usual... 😇

Still, since it was essentially my only meal and all I did in terms of snacking was eating a couple of pieces of candy in the afternoon, when my kids were having some, not that bad a day calorie-wise.

And I'm on fast that should end up at 27+ hours right now, so that'll work out in the end.

Log so far:

Week 1
  M T W T F S S
Intermittent fasting              
Calorie intake              
Weight 94.0 kg
Curfew              
Sleep              
Avg. sleep 6h13
Steps              
Avg. steps 15.4K
Workouts 1.0
Distance 22.21

Here's a song off one of the best albums of the '00s, Tool's "Lateralus". Well, actually two songs, since they're separate tracks on the album, "Parabol" and "Parabola". They're two parts of one song, though, with Parabol making a superb transition into Parabola. Even the official video, which is posted below, considered it "one song". The transition is at 4m 08s in the video, btw.

This is actually more of a journey than a song, I feel, and is one of the many highlights on Tool's Lateralus album. It's also a technical marvel, but then they're great musicians. I consider Danny Carey to be one of the most talented drummers ever. The amount of songs Tool has that require polyrhythmic drumming is insane, and Carey performs them like it's nothing...

Cool video too, with the stop-motion effects. And yes, that's Tricky😊

Tool - "Parabol / Parabola"

• Like 8
  • That's Metal 1

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

On 6/20/2023 at 9:37 PM, TimovieMan said:

Wow, well, where to begin? 😅

200w.gif?cid=6c09b95273wzo38yy84fc14v9dg

My short(ish) answer as a massive fan: everything he's made since the late '80s - starting from the album Tender Prey (1988), and including side projects like Grinderman 😇

His earlier work with The Birthday Party and the first couple of Bad Seeds albums, while influential, were less accessible.

For an actual selection of his (other) songs that I like best personally:

Reveal hidden contents

In  alphabetical order, with starred songs being *highly* recommended by me:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds:
- (Are You) The One That I've Been Waiting For?
- Bright Horses
- Easy Money
* Ghosteen
- Higgs Boson Blues
* Jubilee Street
* Let Love In
* O Children
- Push the Sky Away
* Stagger Lee
- Straight to You
* The Mercy Seat
* The Ship Song
* The Sorrowful Wife
- Where the Wild Roses Grow (feat. Kylie Minogue)
- Henry Lee (feat. PJ Harvey)

Grinderman:
- (I Don't Need You to) Set Me Free
- Palaces of Montezuma
* Vortex

These are all his songs that I have marked for inclusion in my personal top 2000 (and "Into My Arms", "Red Right Hand" and "The Weeping Song" are going to be on there as well).

But he's my favourite artist, so...

im-a-little-biased-dwayne-johnson.gif

Okay, so, like, just everything 😅 Maybe I should have a discovery week where I spend some time listening chronologically.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Biked to work yesterday, half-hour walk during my lunch break, biked back home.

Got a 27+ hour fast in (because Wednesday is the only weekday where I eat lunch, so it's harder to get over 16 hours then, but I can compensate the following day).

Dinner was steak and a salad. And by steak I mean STEAK! It was half a kilo just for me (that's more than a pound!). Salad was just lettuce, carrot, tomato and onion with my homemade dressing (oil, vinegar, mustard, strawberry jam and honey).

I then had some of the leftover charcuterie from the kids (which would start to spoil if it'd have to be in the fridge for another day).

My diet is really intermittent fasting, with elements of the carnivore diet. 😅

Went for a 45-minute walk in the evening, and followed that up with a sprint/walk HIIT. Although run/walk HIIT is probably more accurate, because I doubt that even the first two were really 'sprints'.

I did manage 10 30-second runs, though. Even the last couple were still at running speed instead of jogging speed. So there's at least that.

Got into bed at a good time, but then took a while to fall asleep, so the sleep length is still in the same ballpark as it has been all week. The minimum of what I deem acceptable... 😁

Week 1
  M T W T F S S
Intermittent fasting              
Calorie intake              
Weight 94.0 kg
Curfew              
Sleep              
Avg. sleep 6h15
Steps              
Avg. steps 16.5
Workouts 2.0
Distance 31.36

The steps (and as a result also the distance - or is it the other way around? 😇) are great this week. Intermittent fasting and eating is going well. Sleep is acceptable.

Solid week so far.

This song is by the band who's going to be the opening act on the second day of the Alcatraz festival.

Opening acts are usually the lesser known groups. And yes, despite the founding guitarist being Belgian, I had never heard of these guys.

They've been around for 20 years now. And going by the songs I've heard of them so far in my preparation, they're criminally underrated...

Iron Mask - "The First and the Last"

• Like 8

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

Half a kilo of steak would be very doable for me on carnivore (ie when I'm not taking up precious space with veg and carbs) but quite expensive (maybe 20-25 euros) and also for some reason eating half a kg of dead cow attracts scorn from my vegetarian husband. I can't think why. Probably he's worried about my low fibre intake.

Ooh, retro metal. Are you by any chance a LOTR fan and do you know blind guardian?

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Are you by any chance a LOTR fan and do you know blind guardian?

When Peter Jackson's trilogy was about to be released in 2001, I prepared myself by reading The Hobbit and then The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit became "one of the best books I've ever read", and within 50 pages it was clear to me that The Lord of the Rings was even better. It's what I consider THE best book I've ever read.

And Peter Jackson's LotR trilogy was perfect, imo, especially the extended versions.

As for Blind Guardian, they will be performing on the last day of the Alcatraz festival, and they're one of the bands that made me get tickets in the first place... 🤘

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 2

58 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

When Peter Jackson's trilogy was about to be released in 2001, I prepared myself by reading The Hobbit and then The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit became "one of the best books I've ever read", and within 50 pages it was clear to me that The Lord of the Rings was even better. It's what I consider THE best book I've ever read.

And Peter Jackson's LotR trilogy was perfect, imo, especially the extended versions.

As for Blind Guardian, they will be performing on the last day of the Alcatraz festival, and they're one of the bands that made me get tickets in the first place... 🤘

Jackson did a great job. I watched a little of the making of, and I just love how much love and care went into it. AHA, already a blind guardian fan, eh? 3 favourite songs?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Jackson did a great job.

It's a pity he fumbled the ball on the The Hobbit trilogy. Which had no right being more than two movies.

It felt thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread. 😇

57 minutes ago, Harriet said:

AHA, already a blind guardian fan, eh? 3 favourite songs?

A "fan" may be a slight exaggeration. I've known of them since I saw their "Mr. Sandman" video on MTV in the mid-90's, and I've listened to several of their albums over the years, but I haven't exactly done a real "deep dive" into their work, because it also contains a lot of speed metal and thrash, which is a bit less to my liking than power metal and symphonic metal.

As for favourite songs, can I name 4? 😇

First and foremost is "The Bard's Song (In the Forest)". That's in a category of its own. 😁

And then it's a toss-up between "And Then There Was Silence", "Nightfall" and "Valhalla".

• Like 4

I've got a new identification card. Went to pick it up at city hall this morning.

Walked there, so that's a 35-minute walk there and another back again. As a way to get my steps in for the day.

Did a mini-workout with DailyDare exercises: 3 minutes wall sit, 50 lunge punches, 60 seconds single leg bridges

Failed the wall sit since I only did a minute. 3 minutes is insane, though, so F it. I'm counting it as an exercise nonetheless. 😊

Did a proper workout in the afternoon. There were two more DailyDare exercises but they were better suited for warm-up, so I pushed them to the full workout:

Spoiler

Warm-up:

- 2x 1 minute leg swings (DailyDare)
- 2 minutes chest expansions (DailyDare)

Workout:

- 2x10 one-leg calf raises

- 3 chin-ups

- 10 leg-assisted chin-ups

- 2x10 assisted one-leg squats

- 10 incline push-ups

- 2x10 one-leg Romanian deadlifts

- 10 scapular pull-ups

- 10 hanging knee raises

- 20 wall slides

- 15 reverse crunch swipers

- 2 chin-ups

- 10 incline push-ups

The third chin-up was with the best form I've been able to do a third, so there's that.

I was sweating up a storm after the first circuit, and didn't have the time to do a full second one, so I limited my second circuit to just upper body push and pull: chin-ups and push-ups. I'm calling that "good enough".

We filled the semi-permanent pool today. Took FIVE HOURS to fill the 3600 liter pool. 😲

TimovieSon's already been in the pool for a bit. Which I thought was daft, because the water was only 20°C. Didn't have time enough in the sun to warm up yet. Should be better tomorrow.

TimovieDaughter went to a children's dance party to celebrate the end of the school year. We figured it'd be a bit too "busy" for her, too crowded, too loud, but she enjoyed herself.

Dinner was tortilla wraps with chicken, Mexican vegetable mix and fajita sauce.

Perfect opportunity for me to open the bag of Carolina Reaper flakes I have, to spice up my tortillas considerably. Really. I tried one of the (larger) flakes. Spicy as all hell. 😁

And I *still* topped the tortillas off with my Black Garlic & Carolina Reaper hot sauce as well. My lips were on fire for about an hour, and I'll be feeling the tortillas' exact whereabouts in my system for the next two days, but it was de-li-cious! And there's enough left over for that to be my dinner again tomorrow!

Despite my many warnings, TimovieSon wanted to try one of the Carolina Reaper flakes. I gave him one small one. He needed a glass of milk immediately... 😅

master-much-to-learn-you-still-have.gif

I am proud of him for trying, though. 😇

• Like 8

23 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

It's a pity he fumbled the ball on the The Hobbit trilogy. Which had no right being more than two movies.

It felt thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread. 😇

I seem to be the only one, but I enjoyed them! I loved the design of the dwarves, I liked watching Martin Freeman, and it's nice just to spend time in middle earth.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 6:46 AM, Salinger said:

I just cant hack spice! haha im ok with a bit but that sounds way too much :P 

This is precisely where the Carolina Reaper flakes and the hot sauce come in, so I can make "normal" food, and then just add the spice to my plate.

On 6/24/2023 at 11:46 AM, Waanie said:

Pro-tip: something like rice or bread always helps me much more with heat than milk. I love heat, although not as much as you do, and sometimes I make something too spicy (or, you know, I have to taste the chili pepper to gauge how much sambal I'll need to add).

Rice and/or bread are helpful after having eaten very spicy food, but I still think milk helps best to alleviate the "flaming lips and inner mouth" issues. Which is the only part that's going to be an issue from a small flake.

On 6/24/2023 at 11:46 AM, Waanie said:

Black Garlic & Carolina Reaper hot sauce sounds really delicious :D.

It is!

I talked a bit about it in the previous challenge:

On 5/30/2023 at 1:48 PM, TimovieMan said:

Replenished our hot sauce supply. Ordered two more bottles of the. Best. Hot. Sauce. EVER!* and also ordered a bag of Carolina Reaper (spiciest pepper on the market with 2.2 million SHU!!!) powder. This is all so I can spice up my food significantly. I love extremely hot food. The missus and the kids don't. So this is my compromise: non-spicy food for all, and extremely spicy additions for me. 😁

* This is that sauce - Bravado Black Garlic & Carolina Reaper

612CXByPsfL._CR0,201,1227,1227_UX256.jpg

Adds a lot of hotness to the meal with just a few drops, and has a very good non-dominant flavour. In comparison: tabasco is less spicy so you need far larger quantities at which point it all tastes like tabasco, and frankly, tabasco isn't very tasty. This hot sauce however, is the bomb! 😎

All of this because my brother-in-law wanted to do a "The Hot Ones" challenge two years ago, and ordered this.

Weekly weigh-in

Weight: 91.6 kg (-2.4)

Body fat: 21.7% (-1.9)

I think it's safe to say that last week's numbers were indeed due to water retention.

Let's compare everything my scale measured these last three weigh-ins:

June 10th June 18th June 24th
Weight 91.8 kg 94.0 kg 91.6 kg
BMI 27.4 28.1 27.4
Body fat 21.6% 23.6% 21.7%
Muscle mass 68.4 kg 68.3 kg 68.2 kg
Muscle quality 70 MQ 54 MQ 64 MQ
Body type: body fat normal obese normal
Body type: muscles average average average
Bone mass 3.6 kg 3.5 kg 3.5 kg
Visceral fat 8.5 9.5 8.5
BMR 2105 kcal 2111 kcal 2099 kcal
Metabolic age 39 years 45 years 40 years
Body water 51.9% 53.1% 52.5%

I'm pretty sure that "weight" is the only reliable number the scale throws at me... 😅

Got in bed unusually early for a Friday, but I was wiped from the strength workout. And I got to sleep in a bit, so my sleep numbers have greatly improved for the week.

Went for a walk this morning during my daughter's last music class of the school year. Wanted to do a sprint/walk HIIT, but had an errand to run as well, so that nixed that idea. Plus, I wouldn't have known what to do with my water bottle (and I don't go anywhere without my water bottle)...

Also ran into an old school buddy and stopped for a 5-minute chat.

But still, even the errand registered on my Fitbit (since I walked to the store and back), so I got close to a one-hour long walk in. Making good progress on the road to Mordor this week. Rivendell is getting closer. 😊

Finishing half of Mrs. Movieman's ham sandwich at noon broke my fast at the 15-hour mark, but meh, my log still looks good for the week:

Week 1
  M T W T F S S
Intermittent fasting              
Calorie intake              
Weight -2.4 kg
Curfew              
Sleep              
Avg. sleep 6h39
Steps              
Avg. steps 15.7
Workouts 3.3
Distance 41.82

Here's an iconic Belgian song by Plastic Bertrand. He's credited with the song, but it's actually Lou Deprijck who sang it and co-wrote it.

It was an international hit in 1978. The lyrics are pretty nonsensical, but the song is just so much fun. Even my kids like it. It was playing on the radio at noon today, and I was bobbing my head to the beat. TimovieSon asked if this was "going to be on my USB stick" (by which he means if it'll make my top 2000). He was happy when I said "of course".

It's one of those songs that seems to get better with age, and it has the upside of actually getting me in a good mood each time!

Plastic Bertrand - "Ça Plane Pour Moi"

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I seem to be the only one, but I enjoyed them! I loved the design of the dwarves, I liked watching Martin Freeman, and it's nice just to spend time in middle earth.

Actually, I enjoyed them as well, as it's always nice to spend time in Middle Earth, but I just felt there was *so much* padding in them that could easily have been cut, as well as a bunch of unnecessary cameos. While still good, the trilogy was just nowhere near the quality of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I do agree that Martin Freeman was a case of "inspired casting" - a perfect match for the character.

I missed part of the "feel" of the first trilogy in the Hobbit trilogy. The scene in the The Hobbit films that I loved best, was in fact at the very end of The Battle of the Five Armies: after all the fighting is over, Gandalf and Bilbo are sitting side by side in silence, while Gandalf cleans his pipe. Bilbo wants to say something but decides against it and they just sit there for a full minute. Brilliant scene...

This is precisely the type of scene that I wished there were more of in the The Hobbit trilogy...

• Like 5

Dropped the ball on Saturday food-wise.

I had broken my fast at noon to finish the missus' ham sandwich. She still had a lot left over, so I'm ballparking it at around 800 calories.

Because of the nice weather, I also had an ice cream in the afternoon. The works: two large scoops of vanilla, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, Brésilienne nuts, and whipped cream. Had to have been around 1000 calories.

The missus was eating out with her brother, so I made pasta for the kids - we had some leftover spaghetti sauce in the freezer - while I had the leftovers of Friday's fajita tortillas. My healthiest meal of the day, but close to 1000 calories as well (especially since I finished the bit of pasta TimovieDaughter had left).

Now if I'd stopped there, it would've been acceptable. But I watched a movie with the kids in the evening, and I had two Ice Teas to drink, but more dramatically: I ate a large bag of crisps. So add around 1500 calories as well to put me well over 4K. Red day. The first one in months that was actually not semi-planned or foreseen...

But now I have a week to get rid of the excess calories, right?

Sunday was a bit of a lazy day. Cleaned some weeds from in front of the house in the morning, while I could still work in the shade. Did little more than the dishes and cleaning the litter boxes in the afternoon. Far too hot for anything else.

With the missus wanting to cook food at noon instead of in the evening, I just missed the 16-hour fasting mark - and I can blame the crisps for that. Or rather that second can of Ice Tea, since that came last on Saturday.

The upside is that I only had a piece of chocolate as dessert and a rocket-shaped popsicle in the afternoon, for an okay day calorie-wise, and an easy 24+ hour fast today.

Week 1

Week 1
  M T W T F S S
Intermittent fasting              
Calorie intake              
Weight -2.4 kg
Curfew              
Sleep              
Avg. sleep 6h39
Steps              
Avg. steps 13.2
Workouts 3.3
Distance 41.82

Despite the one red calorie-intake day, I'm calling this a very successful week.

Walk to Mordor

Distance walked/swam this week: 41.82 km (25.99 miles)

Road to Mordor: total 375.6 miles - Hobbiton to Rivendell - Day 23 (9th from Weathertop) - Crossed the river Hoarwell/Mitheithel, turned north from the Great East Road, entered the steep lands of the Trollshaws. Shut in by hills, difficult going, lots of climbing. Weather turned wet.

With all the talk of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit as well as Blind Guardian, I thought I'd post "Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold" by Clamavi de Profundis. But I already did that in a previous challenge, so I'm going to pick Blind Guardian. "The Bard's Song (In the Forest)" of course...

Blind Guardian - "The Bard's Song (In the Forest)"

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

On 6/23/2023 at 5:06 PM, TimovieMan said:

my Black Garlic & Carolina Reaper hot sauce

You've probably mentioned this elsewhere and I missed it but which sauce is this? Is it this one? I have a bottle in my cupboard that I'm looking forward to opening soon but need to clear out a couple of the open bottles I have right now.

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

29 minutes ago, Salinger said:

I love how you dont beat yourself up, or completely fall off the wagon after a 'bad' day calorie wise. 

Inspiring tbh.... 

Thanks for being here Timo ❤️ x

The whole idea is that I'm not actually on a diet, but that this is my lifestyle. "Red days" are going to happen. Most I'll know in advance and will be able to prepare for (fasting 24 hours beforehand and after, and maybe even getting a strength workout in just before). Others will be unplanned like Saturday. But they're never detrimental, as long as I immediately get back on the wagon afterwards.

It's the only way I can make this "permanent". Not being too hard on myself for a single bad day is actually what makes this sustainable long-term. I don't have to be perfect. It just needs to be "good enough". And one red mark in a sea of green and yellow is "good enough"...

19 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

You've probably mentioned this elsewhere and I missed it but which sauce is this? Is it this one? I have a bottle in my cupboard that I'm looking forward to opening soon but need to clear out a couple of the open bottles I have right now.

Yes, that's the one.

I actually have several bottles open. Different hot sauces for different meals. There's one that's better for pitta, one that's better for Mexican food, and one that goes surprisingly well with tomato soup to spice that up. The "black garlic & Carolina Reaper" one is all-round best, though. I absolutely love it. And I'm on my sixth bottle in less than two years (and I'm the only one using it)... 😅

Not quite sure if it was the best idea to have three consecutive days with spicy meals, though. Especially since I also added Caroline Reaper flakes each time.

I mean, I love spicy food, but I don't really want to put myself on the fast track to an ulcer... 😇

And I was a complete idiot for not washing my hands after putting the flakes on my pasta yesterday.

Rubbing your eyes an hour after having handled something that has more than 2 million SHU is not the brightest idea...

my-eyes-burning-eyes.gif

• Like 4
  • Wow 3

9 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

The whole idea is that I'm not actually on a diet, but that this is my lifestyle. "Red days" are going to happen. Most I'll know in advance and will be able to prepare for (fasting 24 hours beforehand and after, and maybe even getting a strength workout in just before). Others will be unplanned like Saturday. But they're never detrimental, as long as I immediately get back on the wagon afterwards.

It's the only way I can make this "permanent". Not being too hard on myself for a single bad day is actually what makes this sustainable long-term. I don't have to be perfect. It just needs to be "good enough". And one red mark in a sea of green and yellow is "good enough"...

spongebob-worship.gif

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

I actually have several bottles open. Different hot sauces for different meals. There's one that's better for pitta, one that's better for Mexican food, and one that goes surprisingly well with tomato soup to spice that up. The "black garlic & Carolina Reaper" one is all-round best, though. I absolutely love it. And I'm on my sixth bottle in less than two years (and I'm the only one using it)... 😅

Not quite sure if it was the best idea to have three consecutive days with spicy meals, though. Especially since I also added Caroline Reaper flakes each time.

I mean, I love spicy food, but I don't really want to put myself on the fast track to an ulcer... 😇

We have a small stable of regulars and then continually rotate other sauces for fun. I don't generally enjoy to CRAZY hot ones as much. I gave up on a half full bottle of Burn After Eating because it just hurt to eat it. Each time was like a paper cut on my tongue. That said, Bravado has done right by me with their Aka Miso sauce in the past so I'm looking forward to this one as well. Carolina Reaper flakes are a little outside my window of happiness but my wife might enjoy them. She likes the crazy hot more than I do. 

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

7 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

one red mark in a sea of green and yellow is "good enough"

It most certainly is. Good job on a great week!

• Like 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

19 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

We have a small stable of regulars and then continually rotate other sauces for fun. I don't generally enjoy to CRAZY hot ones as much. I gave up on a half full bottle of Burn After Eating because it just hurt to eat it. Each time was like a paper cut on my tongue. That said, Bravado has done right by me with their Aka Miso sauce in the past so I'm looking forward to this one as well. Carolina Reaper flakes are a little outside my window of happiness but my wife might enjoy them. She likes the crazy hot more than I do. 

We did a "The Hot Ones" challenge two years ago (like the YouTube channel). My brother-in-law had ordered 10 bottles of hot sauce (that were all featured on the show) and we had them with chicken nuggets, each time picking hotter and hotter sauce.

It quickly became apparent which ones were actually *good* and which ones weren't. "Da Bomb - Beyond Insanity" for instance is crazy hot, but it tastes very chemical, and I consider it inedible. Not because it's too hot, but just because it tastes bad. A number of sauces (Tapatío, Dawson's Shawarma Hot Sauce, Dirty Dick's Hot Sauce and especially Bravado Black Garlic & Carolina Reaper) were not just spicy but also very tasty. Those are used regularly.

The others not so much. ☺️

I do remember "Burn After Eating" being by FAR the spiciest, although according to the challenge "Hellfire" was supposed to be the spiciest. But the taste wasn't particularly good, and I still consider that the main aspect.

12 hours ago, Jarric said:

It most certainly is. Good job on a great week!

Thanks!

We had our parent-teacher conferences (receiving the reports and discussing the last months of the school year) for the kids yesterday. So the missus worked from home as well. That kinda nixed my afternoon strength workout.

giphy.gif

Went for an extended walk during my lunch break, though. Walked to the sports park and did a 20-minute sprint/walk HIIT there. It was cloudier and cooler.

It was unplanned, though, so I still had my wallet with me, which isn't all that comfortable for running, but meh.

The first two were more "sprinting" than last Thursday, but the other runs had noticeable deterioration towards the end.

The missus wanted to go for a walk in the evening, after the parent-teacher conferences, so I took that opportunity to do a strength workout. Including a couple of DailyDare exercises I still had to do.

Spoiler

- 50 knee-to-elbows (DailyDare)

- 2x 60 seconds side plank hold (DailyDare)

- 40 leg raises (DailyDare)

- 2x 10 single leg calf raises

- 3 chin-ups

- 2x 10 single leg squats

- 10 decline push-ups

- 2x 10 single leg Romanian deadlifts

- 10 scapular pull-ups

- 10 hanging knee raises

- 20 wall slides

- 15 reverse crunch sliders- 10 leg-assisted pull-ups

I just did a single circuit, but I added 10 leg-assisted pull-ups at the end. Those turned out to be hard and relying on my legs too much. Clearly my back muscles need strengthening...

I've also been mistakenly calling my push-ups incline push-ups in recent weeks. They're decline push-ups. My feet are elevated on a chair to make them harder. Repeated brainfart? 😅

This effectively starts the week with 2.0 workouts. Halfway there from day one. 🙂

I had a protein shake after the workout. This pushed my day from dark green to green calorie-wise. Was under 2K without it.

There's a team lunch at work today - as a sort of "goodbye" for the team leader's last week as he's leaving. I'll have to refrain from eating for the first 20 minutes or so to get to a 16 hour fast. I'm determined to do so, hence why I already filled it out in the log:

Week 2
  M T W T F S S
Intermittent fasting              
Calorie intake              
Weight 91.6 kg
Curfew              
Sleep              
Avg. sleep 6h01
Steps              
Avg. steps 14.0
Workouts 2.0
Distance 7.06

Once again, Tennis Elbow 4 is hurting my sleep. Also because I tend to spend some time Googling some of the lower ranked players I have to play against... 😇

And before I forget to mention it: the kids had great end-of-schoolyear reports. Good grades, both of them. Proud dad! 👍

Here's my favourite Clawfinger song. It has been in every list I've made (top 100s in 2004, 2005 and 2006, top 300 in 2016), and won't be absent in the top 2000 either, naturally.

It's the biggest boost to self-confidence you can get. Narcissistic as fuck, but awesome and empowering nonetheless. 😎

Clawfinger - "Biggest & the Best"

• Like 5