[Trashcan Carla] Chapter 5 - Respawning to Really Be Accountable

After going AWOL for nearly all of the last challenge,  I've realized something that I've well... um... realized before. I simply cannot take on too many goals at once. At least, not yet. I've regained a few pounds and haven't exercised a bit in weeks, due to my "all or nothing" mentality. I have been in a major rut since the previous challenge started, and I am back now to break myself out of it.

My challenge this time around will be to:

1. Get Up Early
    I need to get up at 5:30am in order to complete goals 2 and 3 plus shower before my 3-year-old son wakes up in the morning.
    GOAL: Wake up at 5:30am Monday through Saturday.
  2. Exercise - Couch to 5K
    I once was an avid runner, and I hope to become one again. I recently picked up a book called Slow AF Run Club by Martinus Evans, and in it he talks about completing 8 marathons and many more shorter runs at more than 350 pounds, albeit slowly and at the back of the pack. He encourages everyone to take up running, no matter their size, and I'm super-inspired! The last time I tried running (I still have my fairly new running shoes from that attempt back in November 2022), I gave up because I got winded so quickly. However, I was trying to run at the pace I used to run at when I was much lighter and in better shape. Huh! I wonder why I was so out of breath!? /s Anyway, I'm going to start run-walking  and get myself to complete my own 5K challenge (not an official road race) within this 5 week challenge.  Even if I stop for walk breaks, I'll still consider it a win. GOAL: 3 walk-runs a week.
  3. Exercise - Strength Training
    Something that is important for my middle-aged body and will be even more important as I get older is to have a strength training routine to prevent osteoporosis. It's also important, I think, for cross training as I embark again on a running journey. GOAL: 3 full body circuits a week.
  4. Hydration - Drink More Water
    GOAL: 3L of water daily.

I truly think that I can accomplish these goals and am excited to get started! I'll definitely need some peer support, though, so please cheer me on if you're reading this. Thanks!

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

“Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow.” Carrie Fisher

2 hours ago, TrashcanCarla said:

I've realized something that I've well... um... realized before.

Story of my life. 

I also need to get back into running and strength training eventually. Here to cheer you on!

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Slow AF Run Club by Martinus Evans

Oh that sounds like a good read.  I miss running.  Or at least, in cool weather I miss running 😆 

strength training routine to prevent osteoporosis

I worry about this too, especially after seeing my parents have injuries over the years that felt preventable.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Glad to see you back! Here to cheer you on!

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

How's it going?

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Hi TCC! How are things?

• Like 1

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

💜

• Like 1

It's been a while (almost three weeks, actually) since I've even thought of taking a look at Nerd Fitness and I regret that. I'm sorry that I wasn't here to support my peers. I'm sorry that I wasn't here to face the music and support myself.

Okay, enough feeling sorry for myself. That's basically all I've been doing since I first posted this thread. I've been in a major rut, and it's been going on for two challenges now. I'm tired of it.

First thing I'm going to do is completely reconfigure my goals for the remainder of this challenge. It's not too late for me to make some progress. I just need to keep my goals simple.

1. Get Up Early - 5:30am. I need to have some "me time". I considered putting an easier time in like 6:30am, but this one is non-negotiable. I really need to get some time alone before the little guy wakes up.
    GOAL: 5:30am wake up time Monday - Friday.
  2. Exercise - I really need to rebuild my exercise habit. What happened!?
    GOAL: Jog-walk or lift weights for 30 minutes, five times a week.
  3. Cleanliness - Our house is a cluttered mess, and my depression and anxiety is to blame for it. And also is caused by it.
    GOAL: Clean for 20 minutes every day, excluding the dishes.

Second thing I'm going to do is start tomorrow. I mean, I'll start cleaning today, but... yeah. I'm going to get these goals accomplished.

• Like 5

“Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow.” Carrie Fisher

Just now, Salinger said:

Sending lots of love TC! Great to see you back here 🧡💪🏼

Thank you so much! I so appreciate it. I simply must get back into the swing of things.

• Like 2

Good to see you, TC! 💜

• Like 1

I'm glad to be back, @Sovalis!

Sigh. So, I didn't get up at 5:30am this morning. I hit snooze and hung around in bed until 7:15am. No "me time". Tomorrow is another day!

Today I can still exercise a bit and clean, though, so that's my intention. I'm going to get off my behind and clean now and will make some time at around 3pm to exercise. I'll get some cardio dance in, I think.

In other news, I'm back to writing again after quite the hiatus. It's been ages since I have had the motivation and I'm grateful for every word I type into Word, without concern about word count. I have to rebuild my writing muscle a little bit at a time, after all.

I intend to be just as kind to myself about my other habits I'm trying to build, too.

• Like 4

Mmm, writing! I am doing that for a minimum of 15 minutes a day this challenge. Just with pen and paper but I am finding that once I get going, I can do a little more. Funny how that is. ;) You’ve got this. 

• Like 1