Sara Kingdom Practices Magic at the Folly

Nightingale had the lamb in wild lemon, and I made do with a chicken Madras hot enough to make Nightingale’s eyes water. It was a little on the mild side for me. Indian cooking has no terrors for a boy raised on groundnut chicken and jollof rice. The motto of West African cooking is that if the food doesn’t set fire to the tablecloth, the cook is being stingy with the pepper. Actually, there’s no such motto – from my mum’s point of view, it was simply inconceivable that anybody would want to eat anything that didn’t burn the inside of your mouth out.

Police Training Performance Report

Officer: Sara Kingdom

Date:29/07/23

Department: Special Assessment Unit

Formae

Daily

Crura impello

Odd Days

Tabula scindere

Præfixa tabula scindere

Gluteus pontis scindere

Gluteus sedet scindere

Volans scindere

Score:

Add'l Training

Electrolytes

Visiting genius loci

Boxing

Electrolytes

--

Bonus:  1

Recovery

2 hours training before noon.

6-8 hours sleep. In bed by midnight 

List sleep improvement strategies.

6+ hours of sleep

Score: 1

Silentium Mentis

Mindfulness

Metta

Body Scan

Very short mindfulness, but I'll be honest, it was minimal and just to cross it off the list. Good enough?

Good enough. We train under pressure to perform under pressure. You won't always have time.

Home Front Reintegration

Just as shell shock was nothing to be ashamed of, nor is any 'magical shell shock' you may be experiencing. Speak to your master, speak with the other lads, and help yourself to the books in the bottom shelf of the northernmost stacks in the library. [N.B. Is it still referred to as shell shock these days? Must check on this in future.]

It's Saturday, I don't plan to do anything.

That seems fair enough.

Score: 0

Add'l Training

Keep notebook log

Practice electronics-free

Ditto on the Saturday excuse.

It's a "bonus", Sara. As in not required. From the Latin bonum, meaning good or benefit, it is done pro bono, or for the benefit alone, and then I give you what is apparently called a "bonus point" to indicate that I noticed. This is how it differs from pro opus (for the sake of the work) or pro dominus (because I said so).

Bonus: 0

Space reserved for office use

Date rec'd:

Initialed by:

Form ID: Zulu Foxtrot 18.C.68-v2-Jun-1977 (ZF.18.C.68/1977.06)

(Supercedes form 64B from Nov 1932)

For internal use only. Sensitive records. Not to leave the Folly

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Well Done Applause GIF by MOODMANexcited bird GIF

Way to go!!

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Memo:

Also, I have some concerns about this challenge. Which I will cut, because they look insane to non-writers.

Spoiler

Look, I have had fictional characters make unexpected interventions in challenges before. It's weird when it happens. They shouldn't act independently of you, their writer. That sort of thing shows a certain disregard for basic principles of reality, and you shouldn't do that for anything smaller than a novella.

In practice, it's always Vetinari. You kind of expect Vetinari to break the rules, even the rules of reality. He is Vetinari. He does it very rarely. Maybe two or three times total in all my dozens of Discworld challenges. But by and large, none of them try to genuinely contradict me. They say the lines they're told to say. Occasionally there's Vetinari, but that's the price of doing business with Vetinari.

We are one week zero actual weeks into this Rivers of London challenge. It's all going swimmingly. Polite platitudes on demand. Day four, a certain wizard interrupts me to head off a small sleep deprivation meltdown. Okay, weird, but I appreciate it. Day six, he harangues me in Latin for failing to differentiate between challenge goals and extra tasks. Why? I have no idea. Also, WTF. Also, he has now outdone Vetinari for disregarding laws of reality in under a week. And half the time, he seems to be doing it just to troll me. He is polite and well-behaved and prompt with the expected platitudes and deeply, almost stereotypically,  conventional... and then he casually breaks the rules of reality when he feels like it. Maybe... maybe I should have expected something like this from Thomas Nightingale, who not only kind of is that guy, but arguably broke that exact law of reality in an actual book by trolling the readers over whether or not he was fictional.

But I expected him to be borderline boring, guys. I thought I would struggle to make that part of the challenge not tedious. This is a man who does the crossword in the Telegraph. He wears polo shirts on Casual Friday. He practices vacant polite conversation like an art form. They literally grab him when they need Downton Abbey shock troops. Even a well-written Nightingale is not that exciting, conversation-wise. And 80% of the time he is pretty boring, but... again, this is all a other way of saying "it's Thomas Nightingale", isn't it? All I'm saying is, I now have some reservations about this challenge, because at this rate, it looks like it's going to go sort of weird and supernatu-- dammit.

("Did you intend the 'swimmingly' pun?" he says. NO. NO I DID NOT. CUT IT OUT.)

Tl;dr Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards. That's it. Full stop.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

"Seen something?" asked Nightingale, making me jump.

"Jesus Christ," I said.

"Not on this river," said Nightingale. "Not even Blake thought that was possible."

Date: 30/07/23

Formae

Daily

Crura impello

Even Days

Tabula scindere

Orantes scindere

Dorsum scindere recta, crux, obliquum & ramosa 

I practiced one forma. Then went to bed.

Well done, infinitely better than none. Though approximately 17% as good as all six.

Score: 0.17

Add'l Training

Electrolytes

Visiting genius loci

Boxing

Electrolytes and supplements.

--

Recovery

List sleep improvement strategies.

Did not get 6+ hours of sleep.

Noted.

Silentium Mentis

Mindfulness

Metta

Body Scan

Yoga nidra body scan when needed.

--

Home Front Reintegration

Just as shell shock was nothing to be ashamed of, nor is any 'magical shell shock' you may be experiencing. Speak to your master, speak with the other lads, and help yourself to the books in the bottom shelf of the northernmost stacks in the library. [N.B. Is it still referred to as shell shock these days? Must check on this in future.]

I watched a related video. Might try an experiment. Close enough?

All right.

Add'l Training

Keep notebook log

Skip.
--

Date rec'd:

Initialed by:

For internal use only. Sensitive records. Not to leave the Folly.

• Like 3

Isaac-Newton-PNG-Isolated-HD-133x200.png

Scientia potestas est

Society of the Wise • Est. 1775

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

30th July, 2023

Dear Ms Kingdom,

I have conducted a review of the filed reports of the previous week. Anticipating your response to this statement, allow me to point out that, having agreed to oversee your training, surely it is to be expected that I perform all the duties thereof.

Details are of utmost importance in most endeavours, magic in particular. We must therefore consider some of the details of your training:

• Pleasingly, I note you have resumed of your own volition several previously learned breathing exercises. However, you have forgotten that there is a time constraint on retiring for the night. In future, I will withhold points for failure to observe it within at least the half hour in order to remind you of its existence. (Note the wording of the requirement; any activities following that action are up to you. Just something to bear in mind. While I certainly cannot responsibly encourage an adventure novel and half a bottle of whiskey in bed, neither can I actually penalize you, should it prove an incentive.)

• I will not take this approach to the time constraint of your project. We will retain the current partial step of starting any time before noon. That said, I would like you to consider tying this to an early crura impello practice most days. See below.

• In both your formae and mental training, there are days when a responsive, more ad hoc approach is useful, and there are days when it is not. I'm certainly not opposed to the former; indeed, it trains a self-knowledge that itself has value. It thus falls to us to plan for the latter. I'm not certain it would be helpful to select a set time until your schedule is steadier. Instead, I suggest selecting three habits into which it could feasibly be bundled, along with a rule to take the first reasonable opportunity that presents itself. Thus it is neither delayed till a future time that never arrives, nor is the plan lost if something comes up at one or more earlier times. Should all three times prove inhospitable, then either it was not meant to be, or we must ask what is so disruptive.

• At the moment, we shall leave aside any issues relating to... well, whatever shell shock or nervous exhaustion is called these days. (I must speak to Dr Walid about just what that's called and update the form. It's not really my area.) Today's change of plan seemed well chosen, and may have resulted in some useful information.

Please address the following this week:

1. Select several times of day you can add a minimum of formae and mental practice.
  2. The third item on your recovery training is ambiguous to a degree that renders it useless. Convert it to a brief evening review around 6pm, designed purely to make scheduled plans proceed unhindered. Namely, A, turning into a pumpkin at midnight, B, the start of training in the morning, preferably with some crura impello practice, and C, any adjustments you wish to make to accommodate visits to genii locorum.
  3. Decide if and how you wish to apply information gleaned today.

I will consider in future weeks whether it might be of value to expand your notebook-keeping to something more rigorous. Like you, I suspect it would be of value, but I agree that there is enough to practice already. It doesn't do to rush these things. Once the basics have been learned well, it's time to add more, and only then. I have taken care to change only the nature of the items already there, not their number.

I can't shake the feeling that something classical would be of assistance here, as it generally is. I shall review my collection of the usual dead Romans, though I fear my copies are all in the original Latin, which you don't read, do you?

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

Detective Chief Inspector, Metropolitan Police

Acting President, Society of the Wise

(A formal weekly review? With action items? On LETTERHEAD? Guys, I did not sign up for this.

I... I am being informed that I did in fact sign up for this. And that I had multiple opportunities to observe what he considered proper oversight of training before the fact. There is marmalade being applied to toast for emphasis.)

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

"But..." Dominic floundered around for a bit before pointing at me accusingly. "You said that there's weird shit, but it normally turns out to have a rational explanation."

"It does," said Beverley. "The explanation is a wizard did it."

I feel so unbelievably sick today. Everything hurts. Everything.

Date: 31/07/23

Formae

Daily

Crura impello

Even Days

Tabula scindere

Orantes scindere

Odd Days

Tabula scindere

Præfixa tabula scindere

Gluteus pontis scindere

Gluteus sedet scindere

Volans scindere

Probably not.

Under the circumstances, a reasonable call.

Add'l Training

Electrolytes

Visiting genius loci

Boxing

Electrolytes kinda.

You might want to elevate that from "kinda", if you can.

Recovery

6pm schedule check-in and support tasks

I was in bed by midnight. I got my 6+ hours.

Does it count as training if most of my jobs are "recover quietly"? I did start it before noon. And managed some basic tasks, in between resting.

Why don't we call it half a point, for carrying out the mental habit?

Score: 1.5

Silentium Mentis

Mindfulness

Metta

Body Scan

Score:

Home Front Reintegration

I did use the thing I learned Sunday. Not sure how well, but well enough.

That's about as much as one can expect under these circumstances, isn't it?

Add'l Training

Keep notebook log

--

Date rec'd:

Initialed by:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 1

Any reason why so much sick and hurt? Or just a hostile universe with bad plans? Either way, get well soon. 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Any reason why so much sick and hurt? Or just a hostile universe with bad plans? Either way, get well soon. 

Adrift in a hostile universe. When it was coming on, I wondered if it was some minor achiness from not eating enough (maybe) or losing too many electrolytes for comfort (unlikely, as the weather is calmer and I'm supplementing a lot of them). But then it became clearly a lot worse than that. Like "too painful to get out of bed" bad.

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hope you heal soon and that someone brews a healing potion for you if that is your desire

Chicken Soup For The Soul GIF by General Mills

See, if I were a normal wizard apprentice, I'd live in the Folly, and their housekeeper is a bit scary, but is also scary efficient and a great cook. If I could stand something eldritch drifting into my bedroom periodically, I'd be taken really good care of. It'd probably also mean my boss poking his head in to make sure it wasn't magical and a house call from the cryptopathologist, but that is a small price to pay for endless soup and tea and maybe some ancient tins of pain salves.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I am being informed that I did in fact sign up for this. And that I had multiple opportunities to observe what he considered proper oversight of training before the fact. There is marmalade being applied to toast for emphasis.)

I mean, you swore the oath, right?  To obey all the wardens and clothing of the fellowship?

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

18 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

I mean, you swore the oath, right?  To obey all the wardens and clothing of the fellowship?

Welllllll... we kinda thought that one would be tough, since I'm not a police officer and I'm not moving into the Folly. Like, not being a British citizen made it difficult to formally join a quasi-governmental wizard order. I swore not to do anything stupid, take my training seriously, to respect the secrecy of the Folly, and if at all possible, not make anything explode with lux, because it was starting to reflect badly on him.

To be honest, I didn't even think I was a formal apprentice, because it's not like I'm doing the usual curriculum, but I did note that he referred to himself as my master when telling me that pro bono was different from pro dominus. I get the sense that he's updated the language he uses, but has not in any way updated the role.

• Like 2

I am running a fever, so I am legit sick. If it lasts more than 24 hours or so, I'll take a covid test. Nothing respiratory, but that's not a given. I do feel a bit better after a lot of rest, so it may be temporary.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Oh no!  Time to lay on lots of tea and soup

I would 100% take something eldritch wafting through my bedroom and a hovering boss in return for endless soup and cold drinks.

• Like 2

She was staring at us over the top of a pair of completely pointless sunglasses and her phone was playing what I now recognised as The Day the World Turned Day-Glo by X-Ray Specs.

Date: 01/08/23

Formae

Daily

Crura impello

Odd Days

Tabula scindere

Præfixa tabula scindere

Gluteus pontis scindere

Gluteus sedet scindere

Volans scindere

Crura impello.

Good show. Back on the horse, as they say.

Add'l Training

Electrolytes

Visiting genius loci

Boxing

Electrolytes and supplements.

--

Recovery

In bed on time. 6+ hours of sleep.

Did not get to my project before noon. Sick day morning.

Something resembling an evening check-in.

Score: 2

Silentium Mentis

Mindfulness

Metta

Body Scan

--

Home Front Reintegration

Watched a couple of tangentially related videos.

I really don't know if I ought to encourage this sort of thing.

Add'l Training

Keep notebook log

--

Date rec'd:

Initialed by:

• Like 4

There are people who have been touched by, let’s call it for the sake of argument, magic to the point where they’re no longer entirely people even under human rights legislation. Nightingale calls them the fae but that’s a catch-all term like the way the Greeks used the word "barbarian" or the Daily Mail uses "Europe".

Date:02/08/23

Formae

Daily

Crura impello

Even Days

Tabula scindere

Orantes scindere

I'll try to get in at least some impello after my sick day nap, but I might just pull the sick card on this one.

Under the circumstances, I think I'll allow it.

Add'l Training

Electrolytes

Visiting genius loci

Boxing

Electrolytes and supplements. If they stayed down.

We can only control our own actions. Outside circumstances do as they please.

Bonus: 1

Recovery

6+ hours, in bed on time.

Disastrous misuse of morning time, however.

Well, let's not do that again, then, shall we.

Silentium Mentis

Mindfulness

Metta

Body Scan

Score:

Home Front Reintegration

Score:

Add'l Training

Keep notebook log

Bonus:

Date rec'd:

Initialed by:

Fever was gone by the next day and most of the aching was gone by midnight. Although while I was sick, I apparently banged up my leg or something. Honestly, parts of it hurt a lot. I'm being a bit of a hypochondriac about that, but Occam's Razor says you don't coincidentally develop two weird things on the precise same day. You get sick and bang your leg on the furniture while too weak and achy to stand, and that's probably what I did. (Or, judging by one spot, lean my shin too hard against the stairs for balance while walking down them. Monday was rough.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

The reaction widget needs a "hugs" emoji for when "like" is inappropriate but "sad" goes a touch too far. 

Agreed.

10 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

Also, hugs.

Yes. Hugs. 

• Like 2

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Now that the fever is gone, are you feeling better or was that just phase one of a longer assault on your immune system?

You were prescient. My fever is gone, my covid test is negative, my achy bits are not aching (apart from the ones I seem to have damaged myself), but my digestive system has now rebelled. See, I knew I was having slow mornings for a reason. ;) So I am in bed early while everyone else is having a fancy dinner with guests. But I am barely up for any human beings, let alone guest human beings. I will nap and consider food later. We're out of the crackers I was surviving on yesterday, which I think was a big part of why my stomach was okay yesterday. Crackers and fruit were okay, and that buffered things enough for dinner. Maybe rice. I dunno. It's hard to beat crackers. Are sweet potato chips a cracker? They might be crackers.

3 hours ago, Everstorm said:

The reaction widget needs a "hugs" emoji for when "like" is inappropriate but "sad" goes a touch too far. 

If it helps, I read the heart as "hearts".

3 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Also, hugs.

2 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Yes. Hugs. 

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

Checking In I Love You GIF by Seize the Awkward

I accept all hugs, especially cozy pink ones, but under the circumstances, it's probably good that I'm accepting them across the internet. :D

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Everstorm said:

It really is.  Maybe dry toast?

I'm gluten-free, and never have gluten-free bread around. (Plus our toaster, sadly, is not gluten-free. Not risking it today.) But it's fine. I've decided my rice cooker is going to make me yellow turmeric rice. And maybe a rice pudding. Basically all the rice. Which is not on my diet, but I don't care for a couple of days, cuz my body really wants food, and food does not want it. Two days of rice will be fine. Rice is... almost a cracker.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Basically all the rice. Which is not on my diet, but I don't care for a couple of days

It is a darned shame that rice is not on my normal diet, because I am amazing at rice, guys. Also, rice cookers are proof that technology loves us. I am apparently capable of replicating halal cart chicken and rice with mystery white sauce, only better. (I mean, I was fortunate in my strangely ideal leftovers, cuz I only made made rice and the sauce. But those were the mystery things.) And my rice cooker kheer is inauthentic but delicious.

All that rice seems to have been pretty much as good as crackers, in that it seems to have buffered other foods successfully and it is all staying put. Which is good, cuz I've been starving this week. Apparently running fevers and not getting in many meals makes me hungry.

• Like 4