Sara Kingdom Practices Magic at the Folly

"You can't die of jazz," said Dr. Walid. "Can you?"

I thought of Fats Navarro, Billie Holiday, and Charlie Parker who, when he died, was mistaken by a coroner for a man twice his real age. "You know," I said, "I think you'll find you can."

Police Training Performance Report

Officer: Sara Kingdom

Date: 03/08/23

Department: Special Assessment Unit

Formae

Daily

Crura impello

Odd Days

Tabula scindere

Præfixa tabula scindere

Gluteus pontis scindere

Gluteus sedet scindere

Volans scindere

I'll try, but this leg injury is no joke, pain-wise, and I'm hesitant to overstress the area.

Recovery first.

Score:

Add'l Training

Electrolytes

Visiting genius loci

Boxing

Bonus: 

Recovery

2 hours training before noon.

6-8 hours sleep. In bed by midnight 

6pm schedule check-in and support tasks

Uh, sleep is a tricky question...

I've checked with Molly. Sleep is not a tricky question. It was a textbook failure; it simply had some unusual circumstances.

Score: 0

Silentium Mentis

Mindfulness

Metta

Body Scan

Score:

Home Front Reintegration

Just as shell shock was nothing to be ashamed of, nor is any 'magical shell shock' you may be experiencing. Speak to your master, speak with the other lads, and help yourself to the books in the bottom shelf of the northernmost stacks in the library. [N.B. Is it still referred to as shell shock these days? Must check on this in future.]

Score:

Add'l Training

Keep notebook log

Practice electronics-free

Skip

--

Bonus: 0

Space reserved for office use

Date rec'd:

Initialed by:

Form ID: Zulu Foxtrot 18.C.68-v2-Jun-1977 (ZF.18.C.68/1977.06)

(Supercedes form 64B from Nov 1932)

For internal use only. Sensitive records. Not to leave the Folly.

• Like 5

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I'm struggling with my to-do list today, cuz most of my important tasks involve getting up and doing active things, and I'm currently elevating and icing my injuries and I don't wanna get up and do things. Also, the ice feels good, and doing things will hurt.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

I'm struggling with my to-do list today, cuz most of my important tasks involve getting up and doing active things, and I'm currently elevating and icing my injuries and I don't wanna get up and do things. Also, the ice feels good, and doing things will hurt.

That is indeed a conundrum. 

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Youch that must’ve been a helluva bang! Glad you got well so quickly.

It really was. I was in bad shape Monday, I think one place is where I shoved a foot under a coffee table for leverage to get up, and the other is where I leaned my shin on the stair treads to support myself going downstairs. (I remember doing the former, though not injuring myself doing it, but I don't remember the latter.) So I basically put all my weight on small areas for longish periods of time, and now I have deep soft tissue swelling in those spots. It's that or I suddenly developed several absolutely wild blood clots in one leg on the same day I had the flu, which doesn't seem that likely, even before you figure out which bits of furniture they line up with.

It hurts like you would not believe. So much hurting. But ice, drugs, and rest do help a lot, which hopefully I will start remembering earlier in the day.

• Sad 1

Date: 04/08/23

Formae

Daily

Crura impello

Even Days

Tabula scindere

Orantes scindere

Dorsum scindere recta, crux, obliquum & ramosa 

The odds aren't high, but maybe.

I did some pedem impello alphabeticum.

Understood.

Recovery training is valid.

Score: 1

Add'l Training

Electrolytes

Visiting genius loci

Boxing

Skip

--

Bonus:  0

Recovery

Training, no. Haven't got to that project yet, pacing myself around injury here.

Sleep yes. Then extra sleep later. An unexpected three hours of it. Sleep is good for healing, right?

So Dr Walid tries to tell me every time I go to him with a scratch.

Silentium Mentis

Mindfulness

Metta

Body Scan

Mindfulness.

Home Front Reintegration

Just as shell shock was nothing to be ashamed of, nor is any 'magical shell shock' you may be experiencing. Speak to your master, speak with the other lads, and help yourself to the books in the bottom shelf of the northernmost stacks in the library. [N.B. Is it still referred to as shell shock these days? Must check on this in future.]

Uh, I calmly had some tough thoughts? That's probably progress.

I'll reward it for now.

Score: 0.5

Add'l Training

Keep notebook log

Skip.

--

Date rec'd:

Initialed by:

What's the general thinking, guys? If I'm on rest-ice-elevate protocol with a sorta trauma injury, do I do full rest, or do small amounts of walking for increased blood flow?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

What's the general thinking, guys? If I'm on rest-ice-elevate protocol with a sorta trauma injury, do I do full rest, or do small amounts of walking for increased blood flow?

I looked it up, and it seems rest, ice, and anti-inflammatories are out of favor. (Compression and elevation are left up to the individual.) I guess it's good I had no good ice solutions.

Current guidelines seem to recommend light movement, but not weight-bearing. So walking may be out, but I can switch to pedem impello alpahbeticum.

(I'd like to do the water movement, but I walk there, and I'm not totally certain I'm up to it. Like, I think I could, but I don't want to discover otherwise halfway there.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Everstorm said:

Not to mention that you would likely undo any good of it by walking back home afterwards 

Yeah, I want to be cautious on the overtaxing of things for a bit.

I'm super annoyed about this, though. What a totally gratuitous, unnecessary, disruptive injury. (Also, huuuuuuurts!)

• Like 1

"There's more to life than just London," said Nightingale.

"People keep saying that," I said. "But I've never actually seen any proof."

Date: 05/08/23

Formae

Daily

Crura impello

Odd Days

Tabula scindere

Præfixa tabula scindere

Gluteus pontis scindere

Gluteus sedet scindere

Volans scindere

Score:

Add'l Training

Electrolytes

Visiting genius loci

Boxing

Electrolytes. Supplements.

Bonus:  1

Recovery

Look, it *is* complicated. I got tons of sleep, just in two chunks. And even though the second chunk was after midnight, it wasn't like anything bad happened...

You got lucky, and that's all I'll say.

Silentium Mentis

Mindfulness

Metta

Body Scan

Score:

Home Front Reintegration

Score:

Add'l Training

Keep notebook log

Bonus:

Date rec'd:

Initialed by:

My leg is so much better! I mean, it's probably just time, but I totally want to give it to my diligent (one day) practice of pedem impello alphabeticum. Like, clearly, that's gotta be it, right? Cuz it was not great last night. Fine when elevated, but not liking anything else at all.

Anyway, I can walk on it pretty normally, it doesn't hurt more when vertical than when horizontal, the swelling and redness is more sane. Still pretty ouchy around the bumps, but a more normal "swollen deep bruise" kinda ouch,  not an "I'm constantly controlling pain" kind of ouch. I probably could make the walk to swimming. The only thing I'm noticing is that it tires out faster, like that leg is doing more work to stay stable or whatever, and the muscles need more frequent rest. (More frequent than normal, not more frequent than yesterday, when they needed a LOT of rest.)

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 5

On 8/4/2023 at 6:47 PM, sarakingdom said:

I looked it up, and it seems rest, ice, and anti-inflammatories are out of favor. (Compression and elevation are left up to the individual.) I guess it's good I had no good ice solutions.

I believe RICE has been the acronym for some time. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Basically ice it, lie in bed with the injury on a pillow. Glad the need is past though.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

40 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

I believe RICE has been the acronym for some time. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Basically ice it, lie in bed with the injury on a pillow. Glad the need is past though.

When I was a student trainer I went to a summer camp where we got some training. On movie night we watched Son-In-Law, which had a lot of slapstick. Every time someone got hit in the nuts we would all yell out "RICE!"

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

41 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

When I was a student trainer I went to a summer camp where we got some training. On movie night we watched Son-In-Law, which had a lot of slapstick. Every time someone got hit in the nuts we would all yell out "RICE!"

That is definitely a thing you will never forget.

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

I am glad you are feeling a bit better.

Do you keep arnica gel in the house? It is great for bruises and muscle strains. It helps keep down swelling and inflammation with soft tissue injuries.

I also recommend ordering an emergency supply of crackers and other food you can eat when you are sick. Maybe get a plastic tub or a shell box (the metal military kind) to keep the stash under your bed, so your housemates won't notice it and critters can't get into it.

Level 75  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

21 hours ago, Everstorm said:

🥳  Glad to hear it!  Did you get in a swim, then?

Alas, I did not. It's still tiring often, so I've been gentle with it. But soon.

10 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I believe RICE has been the acronym for some time. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Basically ice it, lie in bed with the injury on a pillow.

Not anymore, is my point. RICE is no longer the state of the art. Apparently the research changed in the late 90s and early 2000s. Nowadays, they're against artificially reducing inflammation or chilling the area, because it slows healing. Rest is a gray area, they want light exercise of a type that doesn't cause reinjury, but not immobilized rest.

(This is hard for me, because I am a zealous ice advocate.)

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

How... how does one elevate that injury?

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

Do you keep arnica gel in the house? It is great for bruises and muscle strains. It helps keep down swelling and inflammation with soft tissue injuries.

I don't think we do anymore... interesting. That's an option.

It's mostly morphing into bad bruises now, although there's a tendon or something in my ankle that's a bit tight and painful, and my foot is still pretty swollen. Who knows. Feet are weird. They screw up pretty easy.

• Like 2

Isaac-Newton-PNG-Isolated-HD-133x200.png

Scientia potestas est

Society of the Wise • Est. 1775

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

7th August, 2023

Dear Ms Kingdom,

Please consult Dr Walid regarding a plan to return to duty. I believe we have reached that point. It ought to be done safely and without rushing. (Note that I expect you to follow all doctor's orders, even when irritating.)

Jolly well done on sleep most nights. I don't think anyone could begrudge you a night or two out with the lads (or, I suppose, ladies), or however you are approximating that.

These actions were missed among the unexpected demands of the week:

1. Select several times of day you can add a minimum of formae and mental practice.
  2. Decide if and how you wish to apply 'mental health' information gleaned a week ago.

Further:

1. Plan your return to duty for the week, including case load and 'action items'.

How do you feel about Marcus Aurelius?

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

Detective Chief Inspector, Metropolitan Police

Acting President, Society of the Wise

• Like 8

Isaac-Newton-PNG-Isolated-HD-133x200.png

Scientia potestas est

Society of the Wise • Est. 1775

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

8th August, 2023

Dear Ms Kingdom,

No, 'about as well as [I] do' is not the standard to which your adherence to Dr Walid's advice will be held. I have experience, and, importantly, seniority of rank.

Adding Virgil to the reading list.

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

Detective Chief Inspector, Metropolitan Police

Acting President, Society of the Wise

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Toby had gone to sleep on the sun-warmed hood of the Jag. You could see where he'd tracked mud across the bonnet. Nightingale frowned.

"Why do we have this dog?" he asked.

Date: 08/08/23

Formae

Daily

Crura impello

Even Days

Tabula scindere

Orantes scindere

Dorsum scindere recta, crux, obliquum & ramosa 

Crura impello.

Skipping scindere on medical grounds. Overstressed.

Entirely reasonable.

Add'l Training

Electrolytes

Visiting genius loci

Boxing

Supplements. Electrolytes.

--

Recovery

6+ hours of sleep starting on time.

2 hours training starting before noon.

--

Score: 2

Silentium Mentis

Mindfulness

Metta

Body Scan

Mindfulness.

--

Home Front Reintegration

Skip. Maybe some relevant practical application?

Observation is a useful skill.

Score: 0

Add'l Training

Keep notebook log

Skip.

--

Date rec'd:

Initialed by:

My old scale was indeed not giving me valid numbers, and, alas, not in the fun direction (as expected). But it's not too bad. Sort of holding steady at a previously known valid weight, which is roughly what I expected from the measurements. I have not yet managed to get it to give me body composition numbers. That is a tech issue for another day.

• Like 6

Today is full of lots of very small wins, little leveling-ups (levelings-up?) over the usual, in the "make today slightly better than yesterday" sense. I will attempt to keep them, because it's sort of nice. I'm  not sure how much work it will be.

Walking, however, might not be one of those things. An experiment whose time had come, because I'm walking fine around the house, but something is off about that ankle. (Which is weird, because it's injured above and below the ankle; I think it's a tiring-out thing, like keeping everything stable when various things are injured is more effort.) It does not seem quite ready for errand-running levels of walking, not happily. This is annoying, because I want to walk, and because that is how I get air conditioning, which I think I am going to need this week.

Also, I need to remember that annoying jobs are neither as hard nor as annoying as I imagine them, at least in small doses. I can do 15-20 minutes without literally dying of boredom.

• Like 7

I have done the things, and I am now in need of treats and a nap to recharge my brain, but I cannot have. :(

Ice Cream Sleeping GIF

• Sad 5

Right from the start Abigail used to moan and fidget as her hair was relaxed or braided or thermally reconditioned, but her dad was determined that his child wasn't going to embarrass him in public. That all stopped when Abigail turned eleven and calmly announced that she had ChildLine on speed‑dial and the next person who came near her with a hair extension, chemical straightener, or, God forbid, a hot comb, was going to end up explaining their actions to Social Services.

Date: 09/08/23

Formae

Daily

Crura impello

Odd Days

Tabula scindere

Præfixa tabula scindere

Gluteus pontis scindere

Gluteus sedet scindere

Volans scindere

Score:

Add'l Training

Electrolytes

Visiting genius loci

Boxing

Electrolytes. Supplements.

--

Recovery

6+ hours sleep, in bed on time.

Silentium Mentis

Mindfulness

Metta

Body Scan

Score:

Home Front Reintegration

Score:

Add'l Training

Keep notebook log

Bonus:

Date rec'd:

Initialed by:

I regret not having a literal pile of chocolate right now.

• Like 4