• Rest breaks taken: 3
  • Active rest breaks taken: 3
  • Body scan/mindfulness/metta: 2/1/0
  • Schedule regular rest breaks
  • Schedule regular sinus health checks
  • Complete the out-standing sinus health support task
  • Begin sleep preparation before 7pm

The following magic has been deemed necessary to perform my duties:

• Crura impello for active rest breaks. These are carefully spaced out with meditation breaks in between.
  • Crura impello for an errand.
  • Gluteus scindere pontis (I was on the floor already, which... made it necessary? My lower back needed it, I swear.)

Sincerely,

Sara Kingdom

Suspended Trainee, Society of the Wise

I stole borrowed some Folly letterhead. If they're gonna suspend me, I should at least get to use the fancy paper.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

(I'm still trying to figure out the biomechanical details, but in this thread we stan walking.)

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Guys. I'm just so confused. Is he able to suspend me from my own challenge?

Judging by that letter, I think he just did ;) 

Side note, how did you make those letters and training reports and get them to embed properly in your thread? Consider me mightily impressed!

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

(I'm still trying to figure out the biomechanical details, but in this thread we stan walking.)

Video guy is very silly.

Sprinters absolutely lift weights

Squat is not primarily a glute movement, especially in the way shown in the video

You cannot 4-5x your bodyweight into the ground while walking

Walking on your toes will not engage the anterior tibialis to fire because it draws your toes up, not down

This is not to detract from the value of walking, he's just creating a dumb strawman and even then failing to knock it down. Definitely give fox walking / forefoot striking just to see how it feels. If it feels good, go for it, I'm not going to tell anyone how they have to walk. I just wanted to call out the silly influencer. 

Spoiler

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

On 8/17/2023 at 9:01 AM, The Most Loathed said:

This is not to detract from the value of walking, he's just creating a dumb strawman and even then failing to knock it down. 

This is where I concede that I did an ADHD, and didn't even watch the first half of the video, because I don't care about "glute workouts". :D I care about glute activation, and wanted to review the set of exercises later on. If he was claiming sprinters don't lift, yeah, that's nonsense.

Gait stuff also bores me, though not always enough to fast-forward past, and his was... confusing to me, and I wanted a rewatch when I had had some sleep to see what I made of it. Forefoot striking makes sense to me, but not for ideological reasons - because I prefer uneven ground and trail hiking as the most actually useful sort of walking for strengthening all the muscles that stabilize the joints under varying angles and stresses, and that's how you first place your foot onto an unpredictable surface to feel it out; heel striking is in my experience better for covering flat, predictable ground, and not a very stable way to hike trails. That and a little residual martial arts training gives me a vague preference for keeping weight on the ball of the foot personally, but whatever. I generally fall into the camp of "how your foot hits the ground is how your foot hits the ground,  and if you stay upright and without injury, you did it right".

The Big Lebowski Whatever GIF

The biomechanics of what he was demonstrating didn't quite parse for me as a follow-on of his glute activation exercises, but if the first half is garbage (and if he's doing a totally different thing than I was there for), maybe they're just not gonna.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2023 at 2:36 AM, Rhovaniel said:

Side note, how did you make those letters and training reports and get them to embed properly in your thread? Consider me mightily impressed!

Under the hood, they're tables like the grid tables of weekly scores, with fancy styling in the HTML code. Once I realized the forum displayed the background colors I use in headers, I realized it'd display pretty nearly all the fancy options. The font options are super limited, but otherwise it can basically do what a word processor can in terms of layout. The first copy is annoying to code, but after that I can copy and paste it.

On 8/17/2023 at 2:36 AM, Rhovaniel said:

Judging by that letter, I think he just did ;) 

He is turning out to be a weird and surprising fictional mentor. Sometimes the model of the character in your head does not do what you expected, and sometimes it's just a rubber stamp of generic challenge encouragement. He behaves like the latter, except when he makes sudden surgical strikes of the former. (Which, really... might be very true to form for Nightingale. He looks all boring and predictable, and then there's an armored tank that needs exploding or something.) I truly did not anticipate showing up to post my check-in for the day and getting a suspension.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Under the hood, they're tables like the grid tables of weekly scores, with fancy styling in the HTML code. Once I realized the forum displayed the background colors I use in headers, I realized it'd display pretty nearly all the fancy options. The font options are super limited, but otherwise it can basically do what a word processor can in terms of layout. The first copy is annoying to code, but after that I can copy and paste it.

I do want to acknowledge that you have probably the best produced log I have ever seen on here. It's like looking at some of the Bullet Journals that people post on Instagram where I think "Even if I could do that that, I how would I find the time". It looks great. Also, I've now finished three of the books in the series.

• Like 3

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

I'm just popping in to say I took a break from my BookClub book while traveling (it's a hard copy) and began reading Rivers of London (which I have as an e-book). I rather enjoy it so far, though I'm not terribly far into it. Good news, I only have 15 pages left of my BookClub book for this month and should be finished with it tonight. That being said, I can read Rivers of London until I receive my next BookClub book on the 1st.

Thank you again for the recommendation. I have a feeling I will shortly be sucked into it with no means of escape

• Like 3

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

Isaac-Newton-PNG-Isolated-HD-133x200.png

Scientia potestas est

Society of the Wise • Est. 1775

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

21st August, 2023

Dear Ms Kingdom,

I have been in discussions with Dr Walid regarding your training. Of primary concern is how slowly your sleep deficit is correcting, despite your efforts.

We have decided that this constitutes injury rehabilitation. When one is operating on reduced physical resources, the likelihood of overtaxing those resources is high. Your performance when suspension protocols were in place indicates that we keep training sessions short and recovery sessions frequent.

Thus, you may proceed - with caution - with your training, provided every work session is accompanied by an active health intervention and a period of passive rest. Be aware, however, that I will be marking you on your recovery sessions foremost rather than your completed training.

You are officially on reduced duty until further notice. 'Further notice' will not be discussed until your sleep deficit is in the single digits.

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

Detective Chief Inspector, Metropolitan Police

Acting President, Society of the Wise

• Like 3

On 8/22/2023 at 9:10 AM, The Most Loathed said:

I do want to acknowledge that you have probably the best produced log I have ever seen on here. It's like looking at some of the Bullet Journals that people post on Instagram where I think "Even if I could do that that, I how would I find the time". It looks great.

Thank you! Unlike actual bullet journals, which are work, copy and paste does most of it for me. :D

On 8/22/2023 at 9:10 AM, The Most Loathed said:

Also, I've now finished three of the books in the series.

I can't recall if you were on my victim list. Do I need to write in to head office for more prizes?

On 8/22/2023 at 11:15 AM, Darciana said:

Thank you again for the recommendation. I have a feeling I will shortly be sucked into it with no means of escape

Yay! That's the sort of capturing of souls I like to hear about. I need to practice those sorts of occult skills.

• Like 2

I am really liking the messages from Nightingale. Both as a reader enjoying the narrative and from a self care perspective I like the creative way you devised to be gentle with yourself. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I am really liking the messages from Nightingale. Both as a reader enjoying the narrative and from a self care perspective I like the creative way you devised to be gentle with yourself. 

That is one of his stand-out features in the books, especially as the books go on. High standards and a dry, exasperated sense of humor, but a very gentle teacher and tremendously focused on his duty of care. And magic is somewhat more dangerous to overdo than other sorts of training, so he might be having extreme reactions here. Because he suspended me, Tank, and I'm never gonna get over a stupid fictional wizard deciding I could be suspended from my actual NF challenge if he said so. I'm not saying he was wrong in his priorities, I'm just saying it was overreaching. :D

The truly terrible thing is that he is actually very good at this, even with the bland generic replies, and I may have to keep this damn theme for more challenges just to keep that stupid wizard around. And I'm all out of books.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 3

(Underrated track.)

Police Training Performance Report

Officer: Sara Kingdom

Date: 23/08/23

Department: Special Assessment Unit

Formae

Daily

Crura impello

Odd Days

Tabula scindere

Præfixa tabula scindere

Gluteus pontis scindere

Gluteus sedet scindere

Volans scindere

Crura impello.

5 of the 6 scindere.

Good job on your string of impello practice.

Score: 2

Add'l Training

Electrolytes

Visiting genius loci

Boxing

Is yoga close to boxing? I ask for scoring purposes.

I'm sorry, did you just ask me if yoga is like boxing?

Bonus:  -100

Recovery

2 hours training before noon.

6-8 hours sleep. In bed by midnight 

6pm schedule check-in and support tasks

Sleep, yes.

2 hours of training starting before noon, with rest breaks.

6pm check-in.

Good start on the rehab schedule.

Score: 3

Silentium Mentis

Mindfulness

Metta

Body Scan

Metta.

At last. Good job.

Score: 1

Home Front Reintegration

Just as shell shock was nothing to be ashamed of, nor is any 'magical shell shock' you may be experiencing. Speak to your master, speak with the other lads, and help yourself to the books in the bottom shelf of the northernmost stacks in the library. [N.B. Is it still referred to as shell shock these days? Must check on this in future.]

I skimmed something tangential? No, I thought about skimming something tangential. My brain was busy.

Don't think I haven't noticed how slowly this one is going. It's all right, but let's think about scheduling something.

Score: 0

Add'l Training

Keep notebook log

Practice electronics-free

Skip. I have enough on my plate.

--

Bonus: 0

Space reserved for office use

Date rec'd:

Initialed by:

Form ID: Zulu Foxtrot 18.C.68-v2-Jun-1977 (ZF.18.C.68/1977.06)

(Supercedes form 64B from Nov 1932)

For internal use only. Sensitive records. Not to leave the Folly.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

I am also (temporarily) out of books.  I finished book 5 and then found an inexplicably long line for a copy of book 6.  I shall have to wait a couple months, I think, unless someone lets me cut.  They sometimes do. 

Oh no! If it helps, most of the novellas come after book 5, so you can do those while you wait.

• Like 1

I finished up my notes and headed up to the coach house [...] Which is how I came to catch Nightingale making himself comfortable on the sofa with a can of Nigerian Star Beer in one hand and the rugby on the TV. He had the grace to look embarrassed.

"I didn't think you'd mind," he said. "There's two crates of this stuff in the corner."

"Overspill," I said. "From when I propitiated Mama Thames with a semi full of booze."

"That clarifies a great deal," he said and waved his can. "Don't tell Molly about the beer. She's become a tad overprotective."

Police Training Performance Report

Officer: Sara Kingdom

Date: 24/08/23 25/08/23

Department: Special Assessment Unit

Formae

Daily

Crura impello

Even Days

Tabula scindere

Orantes scindere

Dorsum scindere recta, crux, obliquum & ramosa 

Crura impello.

Add'l Training

Electrolytes

Visiting genius loci

Boxing

Bonus:  0

Recovery

2 hours training before noon.

6-8 hours sleep. In bed by midnight 

6pm schedule check-in and support tasks

Sleep. Just.

Silentium Mentis

Mindfulness

Metta

Body Scan

Some meditation.

Home Front Reintegration

Just as shell shock was nothing to be ashamed of, nor is any 'magical shell shock' you may be experiencing. Speak to your master, speak with the other lads, and help yourself to the books in the bottom shelf of the northernmost stacks in the library. [N.B. Is it still referred to as shell shock these days? Must check on this in future.]

Score: 0

Add'l Training

Keep notebook log

Practice electronics-free

I did hydrate and did sinus health breaks and stuff.

Good job. We'll pretend I didn't see that iced coffee, shall we?

Bonus: 2

Space reserved for office use

Date rec'd:

Initialed by:

Form ID: Zulu Foxtrot 18.C.68-v2-Jun-1977 (ZF.18.C.68/1977.06)

(Supercedes form 64B from Nov 1932)

For internal use only. Sensitive records. Not to leave the Folly.

Bonus challenge-related rugby content. Also, I think we have learned which team Nightingale was watching the Harlequins vs Wasps game for. He is 100% a Harlequins fan.

• Like 1

Scientia potestas est

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

24th August, 2023

Dear Ms Kingdom,

Dr Walid has asked me to pass along the instructions that you take a minimum of two sinus health breaks per day, drink an adequate amount of water over at least three scheduled hydration breaks, and cut out all caffeine to be on the safe side.

On the last, I intervened on your behalf. Forbidding tea would be inhumane, and quite possibly treasonous. Abdul has conceded two cups of tea per day, before early afternoon.

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Scientia potestas est

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

24th August, 2023

Dear Ms Kingdom,

Then I suggest you learn to like tea. I reiterate the point about treason.

Yes, your training score of the 23rd is correct.

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

• Haha 5

On 8/21/2023 at 8:04 PM, sarakingdom said:

Under the hood, they're tables like the grid tables of weekly scores, with fancy styling in the HTML code.

Very cool. I know nothing about code, so I am going to go with 'it's magic, obviously' :D 

He's right about the tea, though. Just saying :P 

• Like 3

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

1 hour ago, Rhovaniel said:

He's right about the tea, though. Just saying :P 

He'd never refer me for prosecution. A quiet deportation, possibly. But after an espresso. :D

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

He'd never refer me for prosecution. A quiet deportation, possibly. But after an espresso. :D

I don't know him as well as you, but I have a feeling he'd be more inclined towards education - a course in the different blends available perhaps? One should also experiment with the use of milk and sugar. 

Spoiler

He may, however, decide deportation or prosecution is appropriate if you attempt to microwave the water instead of using a kettle. :P 

• Like 2

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

I don't know him as well as you, but I have a feeling he'd be more inclined towards education - a course in the different blends available perhaps? One should also experiment with the use of milk and sugar. 

tumblr_ndkv7wxc0F1tec4njo1_250.gif

I'm not averse to the various spiced teas out there, like a good Moroccan mint tea or a masala chai. (Let's see how he takes that. It looks like he wants to object that they're perfectly good drinks but they're not tea, but he can't because they are, so it's a long-suffering sigh.)

34 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

Hide contents

He may, however, decide deportation or prosecution is appropriate if you attempt to microwave the water instead of using a kettle. :P 

An actual justification for summary execution.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

‘’hot leaf juice”

hur hur hur 

That was the moment Zuko and I bonded.

• Like 1