shaar and the path to a hundred thousand punches

4 hours ago, shaar said:
19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Saw this and thought of you.

In honor of the immanence of spoopy season:

image.png

Holy crap I love this so much. I’m printing it out and putting it at my desk. Today I am feeling like LIL TOOTER

I'm feeling Lucky Remus. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

On 7/29/2023 at 3:41 PM, shaar said:

If I remember correctly, way back in the day (before it was stupid popular) there were no lotteries, you just bought a ticket like any other ol' con and went.  I think the lottery system started after Covid happened? And after the game got crazy popular 😅 I was going to go to Fanfest in 2020 and cosplay Hien but then, covid.....

I AM SUPER stoked for the Warrior of Light visits Margaritaville and El Dorado HAHAHAHAAAA, after all the emotional trauma we endured we deserve tacos and pineapple drinks and TREASURE damnit!!

I will likely resub next month at this rate, I miss my stupid himbo loudmouthed monk Hyur......

Spoiler

image.png.f1a2a7cfa389489b25b8b553e6ec809b.png

image.png.29a0c51a53dfb357b99a8a4747a838a5.png

image.png.ffdef6718befc64c3a9d138844602dc4.png

my boy, my dude, my sweet stupid summer child..........................

Okokok enough nostalgia for now shaar you have OTHER VIDEO GAMES to finish first

Oh whut? Here's hoping there is no lottery to get a ticket for FFXIV FanFest 2024 then. And here's also hoping that it's closer to the East coast lol.

YES to the Hien cosplay! DOOOOO EEEET! There are a few others on these forums who play FFXIV, and it would be super to have a meetup at a con or at FanFest or something 😆

Your character looks super! I was trying to get a good photo of mine but had no idea how to remove all the hotbars and overhead character name and stuff. (I pretty much ignored everything except the MSQ, immediately followed by the 630/650 item grind, and only recently realized that, hey wait, there's like a whole other game in this game? With features? Lol)

I'm sure Dawntrail will bring all new trauma for players 😃 I just hope none of my favorite NPCs get killed. All I know is that if Urianger ever dies, I will be taking a bereavement day off of work and I am not even joking.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

I've not really ever been one to have numerous reading projects, but turns out when I have the task of reading my own book, I go scrounging for literally anything, and get frustrated that it's not what I'm looking for because it doesn't have the aspect of responsibility attached? On the other hand, I really ought to finish "The Frugal Wizard's Handguide to Surviving Medieval England" because it was fun and I want to read all the secret projects. 😅 In the meantime, Scholomance finally got its hook in, so I'm aiming at finishing that in the next two weeks, and Curse of Strahd remains important to stay ahead in now that I'm running the game. 😳 

More books at once than I'm used to, for sure. 😅

Oooo we have the Frugal Wizard one too!!!  That was actually next up for me but then Yumi showed up and I was more interested in that one hehehe... it's hard for me to get really ensconced in like, cosmere-type series or series that span 4-5 books, as much as I love some of them I just get a little ~bored~ and start looking for something new and different and shiny.  Booking is hard!!!!!

I feel the frustration on book searching though, every so often I'm in the mood for a REALLY good horror novel (my favorite genre) and I have certain novels/authors in my head that I always judge everything against as The Best... and sometimes what I end up reading ISN'T what I wanted and it's frustrating!!!!

responsibility i love it ahahahaha XD

1 hour ago, Ahyar Dreamspark said:

Oh whut? Here's hoping there is no lottery to get a ticket for FFXIV FanFest 2024 then. And here's also hoping that it's closer to the East coast lol.

YES to the Hien cosplay! DOOOOO EEEET! There are a few others on these forums who play FFXIV, and it would be super to have a meetup at a con or at FanFest or something 😆

Your character looks super! I was trying to get a good photo of mine but had no idea how to remove all the hotbars and overhead character name and stuff. (I pretty much ignored everything except the MSQ, immediately followed by the 630/650 item grind, and only recently realized that, hey wait, there's like a whole other game in this game? With features? Lol)

I'm sure Dawntrail will bring all new trauma for players 😃 I just hope none of my favorite NPCs get killed. All I know is that if Urianger ever dies, I will be taking a bereavement day off of work and I am not even joking.

I really wish they would move from Vegas UGH it's so hot there, I've been to Vegas a few times and it wasn't in flippin' JULY and it was still far too hot.  BRING IT TO BOSTON YOSHI C'MONNNNNNNNNNNN

I will 10000% cosplay Hien if Fanfest ever happens!  NerdFitnessFanFest Meetup HELL YEAH I'M IN

My OG character since Heavensward was actually a male AuRa and I love him to BITS, the Hyur is Anrai and he's always been my alt character but for EW I wanted to switch it up a bit so I fantasiaed/name swapped the two of them and I haven't looked back since. I'm a big fan of screenshots and the /gpose feature, and filters, and uhhhh maybe sometimes I use hair and clothing mods to slap over what the game doesn't have, heheh... ^^;;;

Dude there were MULTIPLE points in Shadowbringers where I was CERTAIN Thancred was going to eat dirt and it REALLY STRESSED ME OUT.  Like I got all sniffly thinking it was gonna happen and then thankfully it didn't but I'm right there with ya with the bereavement day it would HURT TOO MUCH

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

WEEK 1 UPDATE

Wipe Out GIFs | Tenor

HELLO everyone I am exhausted and mad about it!!!!!!! Hahaha wheeeeee 😅

I have come to the realization that once again, I have played myself, and that my ambitions greatly outweigh what my physical body can perform reliably without collapsing in on itself like a dying star...

I have been high-key exhausted since Monday, like so exhausted it's physically painful, thanks to OVERWORKING MY DUMB SELF and at least I am mindful enough to listen to my body and be like hey dude, maybe you should dial your workouts back a little bit even though I don't WANT TO and I want to work out EVERY DAY but I am at a point where that is simply not feasible at ALL so

I am dialing my workouts back to three days a week, likely Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday or Wednesday.  I am going to be a RESPONSIBLE IDIOT and take it slow and see how this serves me over the next few weeks before I MAYBE start to add a little bit more in.  I need need neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to keep reminding myself that I'm not the me I was 5 - 10 - 20 years ago - and that I can't do those level of things anymore!!! Grumble grumble.  Getting old is hard when you want to do all the things!!!

Anyways

I am off for the rest of the week thank LAWDY, today is going to be a HARDCORE REST DAY and I will do nothing more than - watch TV - play a video game - read a book - make an awesome salad for dinner - tend to my flowers!!!!! That is ALL!!!!! Maybe tomorrow I will do some light lifting or go for a walk BUT I will see how I feel then!!!!!

phew caps lock ok everything is ok

(i just wanna punch things!!!!)

AnyActiveAmericanbulldog-size_restricted

That's all from me for now, I hope YOU (yes you reading this) are well and having a good Wednesday ❤️ !! :)

• Like 7

Frankly, I think you're making the right call. As someone who trains most every day, I've noticed that I've really had to be mindful about what kind of volume I'm putting up and when. I have most recently experimented with 10 minutes of strength and conditioning a day, with shockingly good results, and while I've expanded that some in terms of my time commitment, the only extra stuff I'm doing is mobility and play. So, really, all I'm doing is making room for myself to have a good time on top of my strength and conditioning work.

Which isn't to try to drive you one way or the other on anything. It's just to point out that volume isn't just in any one session but is in fact something that happens to people over the course of time. Everything exists in context with everything else. So! I hope these changes get you to feeling better. :)

• Like 4
On 8/2/2023 at 9:23 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

FWIW, just because you can't punch everything every day doesn't mean you can't do other things, like walks or yoga.

I knowwwwww but punching is fun!!!!!!

23 hours ago, Kishi said:

Frankly, I think you're making the right call. As someone who trains most every day, I've noticed that I've really had to be mindful about what kind of volume I'm putting up and when. I have most recently experimented with 10 minutes of strength and conditioning a day, with shockingly good results, and while I've expanded that some in terms of my time commitment, the only extra stuff I'm doing is mobility and play. So, really, all I'm doing is making room for myself to have a good time on top of my strength and conditioning work.

Which isn't to try to drive you one way or the other on anything. It's just to point out that volume isn't just in any one session but is in fact something that happens to people over the course of time. Everything exists in context with everything else. So! I hope these changes get you to feeling better. :)

You are 100% right and there are ways to get the job done that aren’t EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE! Somewhere in my little lizard brain, I am aware of this, and have even experienced it in the past, but I think I am just so excited about being able to do something I haven’t done in a long time and it just overrides all rational thought. 🥲🥲

• Like 4

Hello friends, happy Thursday, in a brief exciting stroke of what is happening in my life lately, I have realized why I’ve been feeling like absolute exhausted shit since the weekend! This revelation came to me as after I ate dinner last night I immediately ran upstairs to throw up violently for half an hour!!!!!!! HOW EXCITING

GIF by Saturday Night Live

So I am spending day two of my time off laid out on the couch feeling like crap and watching terrible 90s horror movies! I’ve already watched The Lost Boys which I think was 80s, but it doesn’t matter because it’s such a classic, and now I’m watching something terrible called Disturbing Behavior that stars a very skinny Katie Holmes and a lot of people in 90s fashion. I am alternating between drinking spicy ginger tea for my stomach, and Alka-Seltzer daytime for my sinuses, which are super duuuuper painful, and just sitting here thinking to myself. Of course, I will get sick when I am on PTO from work. Of course!!!!

There is def something going around, all of my exhaustion and nausea since Monday now kind of makes sense, and a lot of people have been calling out of work this week too. Ao was also feeling iffy this morning and lo and behold I got a text from him half an hour ago that he just threw up his lunch, so he will be coming home too.

Dave Chappelle GIF

So anywayyyyyyy that’s my story!!!! Sweet jesus!!!!! I am at least grateful that I listened to my body and did not continue my workouts this week. Just walking the trash up to the dumpster today was enough for me hahaha…….

ALSO Ronin had his butt checkup/mild surgery thingy yesterday and everything went EXCELLENT, he is already feeling much better. I can tell, and I will bring him back in two weeks for them to have one last check. Fingers crossed that this chaotic saga will be over soon! Even though I’m sure another chaotic saga will show up, but one saga at a time please, I can’t endure more than that for real for real

Okkkkk back to mediocre 90s movies, if you have any recommendations, let me know, I have a feeling this may be my life for the next day or two! 🥹🤣

Thanks for checking in friends ILU 💕

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

31 minutes ago, shaar said:

Okkkkk back to mediocre 90s movies, if you have any recommendations, let me know, I have a feeling this may be my life for the next day or two! 🥹🤣

I recommend getting some Tom Hanks, particularly Big. He did such a good job encapsulating the energy of a kid with a grown-up's access to the world. 😍

• Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

Hook is a classic for me. I love Robin Williams. I hope you and Ao are feeling better soon!!

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oof, that's a raw deal! Hope it clears fast for you!

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

On 8/3/2023 at 2:32 PM, MaeradCase said:

I recommend getting some Tom Hanks, particularly Big. He did such a good job encapsulating the energy of a kid with a grown-up's access to the world. 😍

On 8/3/2023 at 3:39 PM, foxinthenorth said:

rough GIF

On 8/3/2023 at 3:41 PM, Sovalis said:

Hook is a classic for me. I love Robin Williams. I hope you and Ao are feeling better soon!!

On 8/3/2023 at 3:53 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I did not authorize the universe to make you sick on pre-planned PTO.

I hope you heal fast.

On 8/4/2023 at 2:58 AM, Rhovaniel said:

Oof, that's a raw deal! Hope it clears fast for you!

On 8/4/2023 at 8:29 AM, Ahyar Dreamspark said:

mando-way-this-is-the-way.gif.c869d3eeb0489c3479ecbf40b3a09421.gif

Silly memes aside, though, that fucking sucks 😭 I hope you recover ASAP and can enjoy some of your PTO.

THANK YOU for all your well wishes AND film recommendations!  Maaaan I haven't seen Big OR Hook since I was young!!  In true spooky shaar fashion, I continued with I Know What You Did Last Summer until I fell asleep on the couch....... what a life~

WEEK 1 WRAPUP

b745fb6095a60bce52251ac86136d008.jpg

( source - wow i adore her style!!!! )

Okay y'all it's been a WEEK. Phew. Cripes.  We are gratefully feeling much better after a few days of strict rest and really boring-ass food.

Obviously, zero workouts have been done but that's okay. I was maybe 50/50 on doing something yesterday but opted for caution instead, so I rested and played a SHIT TON of SLIME RANCHER and it's sad how suddenly obsessed I am with this game.  Ao has been binging Baldur's Gate 3 with his sick time and MANNNNNNNN I wish I was good at games like that because it sounds absolutely amazing.  I know it would be too complicated at points for me though, CRPGs are really tough for me so I'm happy to regale his tales of strange and wild encounters while I watch him from when I'm sitting at my computer, heheh.

Workouts will start again today though, and I'm tinkering with my schedule now to be as follows going forward:

Sunday - Kickboxing, recovery

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Maybe light lifting workout

Wednesday - Kickboxing, stretch

Thursday - Rest

Friday - Kickboxing, recovery

Saturday - Recovery

It's a little less than I had initially intended BUTTTTT I am choosing to eat my pride and dial down my output for the sake of sustainability.  GETTING OLD IS THE PITS Y'ALL

That's really all I've got for today.  All other side goals have kinda been off the table thanks to putting recovery and getting well first, but I'm ready to dial down on doing better on protein this week and getting out for a walk at least once.  Somehow my mental health has been pretty great through all this chaos, despite being upset that I got sick on my PTO, but it is what it is.  On the flipside, I'm grateful to be able to recover and rest quietly at home and not have to worry about working full days while I'm sick, and that's a big plus.

HOKAY sorry for the really boring-ass life update!!!! Next week will be full of BETTER THINGS, onward and upward!! ❤️ 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, shaar said:

THANK YOU for all your well wishes AND film recommendations!  Maaaan I haven't seen Big OR Hook since I was young!!  In true spooky shaar fashion, I continued with I Know What You Did Last Summer until I fell asleep on the couch....... what a life~

The good ones fall off the radar, but they're worth revisiting. ❤ Glad you got some rest! Hope you continue to feel better!

• Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Blah, no good bad mental health day!!!!!!

Disillusioned with work, also my dad passed away super suddenly 18 years ago today and sometimes it just hits me harder than others. Time is weird and grief isn’t a straight line.

No workout tonight, just couch time and grounding myself a little. Tomorrow will be better. 🖤

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

11 minutes ago, shaar said:

Disillusioned with work, also my dad passed away super suddenly 18 years ago today and sometimes it just hits me harder than others. Time is weird and grief isn’t a straight line.

No workout tonight, just couch time and grounding myself a little. Tomorrow will be better. 🖤

Cat Love GIF by Cat's Cafe Comics

• Thanks 2

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

Hugs GIF by Chippy the Dog

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

59 minutes ago, shaar said:

my dad passed away super suddenly 18 years ago today and sometimes it just hits me harder than others. Time is weird and grief isn’t a straight line.

If it helps, I'm new to that road, but I'm on it, too. We can walk on it together.

59 minutes ago, shaar said:

💛💚💙💜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

8 hours ago, shaar said:

Grief is a hard one, I'm sorry. It really isn't a straight line. But I bet my ass he's proud of you

Hugs-for-days GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

16 hours ago, shaar said:

Time is weird and grief isn’t a straight line.

This is so true. I hope today is better for you ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Hey Shaar, sending so much love to you right now. 

I think realising how you feel, being kind to yourself, resting and prioritising couch time etc is super fucking strong and amazing and actually, looking through the time ive known you...this is massive and exciting to read. 

I love you loads mate. And im proud of you. 

I am going to try and follow your lead, and make a tea, and snuggle with Bronze and have a read for a bit. xx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Best Friends Love GIF by TV Land

I'm sorry things are so hard right now. I'm really glad to hear you're taking time and care for yourself.

I hope these things pass soon. If they don't, and we can help, don't be afraid to reach out.

(and alternately, if they do pass and you still need something, it's cool to reach out anyway)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all of your kind words everyone ❤️❤️❤️❤️ Much heard and much appreciated.

It has been a rough week.  Week 2 is over and nothing really got done aside from existing, but that's ok, sometimes that's just how it be!  I did my first workout today since about a week and a half ago and it was nice to finally get back into moving and working out again sustainably.

Mental health is okay. I'm doing ok but have some things on my mind.  Don't we all!! Anxiety and depression are hanging around a little more than normal but I'm being mindful and just noticing my emotions and feelings and letting them exist.

Aaaaand that's all I've got for right now hahaha, not super motivated to really post about much so sorry for that!! Will try to check in more with you all this week, keep being awesome ok!!!!

• Like 8