Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer

il_1588xN.4234713618_87xl.jpg

‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊ source ‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊

Look, sometimes life is about ✧・゚:*  v i b e s *:・゚✧

I won't actually be seaside this summer — although I live in LA, so for the low low price of 35 minutes in the car I could be — and yes my chosen art is a lake, not the ocean, but it was very cute so we're going with it — but BACK TO THE POINT: I'm writing a novel about a girl and a sea dragon, and I desperately need to finish this draft and I'm enjoying summer too much to start aggressively channeling dark academia vibes, so I'm combining my cottagecore summer energy with a nautical/rivers/lakes aesthetic so I can lean into the vibes of my novel while fully enjoying the longer days and hot weather.

So my first three goals are continuations from the last two challenges and the fourth is new/building on the last.

🖋️ Goal 1:  The ocean is big, deep, and terrifying — now write act 3!

I set a goal to finish this draft by August 14th. I think I can finish the scene edits by then but then I'm going to need to go through and do a consistency edit, so most likely I will be working on this through this entire challenge. I'm aiming for a minimum of three writing sessions a week, with one of them a block of 3+ hours on a weekend.

Whenever I write, I put the date in a lovely notebook with a fountain pen, and I record what I worked on. Being able to see indicators of my effort and identifying progress that isn't word count is so helpful, and my pretty pen and softcover notebook delight me.

🥬 Goal 2: Nothing says summer like fruit — buy and eat fresh fruits and vegetables every week

Easy. Beautiful. Delicious.

🌻 Goal 3: The ocean is something you feel — go outside often

Again, I might make it to the actual ocean at some point, but more likely this will be visiting botanical gardens (next week!), walking around my neighborhood, and hiking along some local trails.

Goal 4: Boat shoes are cool — strengthen your knees

I ordered some kayaking shoes because my main character would wear them.

Also they have a wide toe box and super flexible sole, and I'm swapping the foam insole for some gel arch supports, which are all components of my ideal shoe. I wore a stability shoe with semi-rigid arch supports for almost two years because it was better for my knees, but all it did was ensure my knees didn't hurt while I was wearing the shoe. They still crunch and feel weird, and I'm only 33 and this is unacceptable. So I fell down the Knees Over Toes Guy rabbit hole, checked out some Beard the Best You Can Be videos, and revisited our very own NF article on feet, and here's the plan:

Throughout the day, I will:

• Do sets of 15-25 tibialis raises
  • Do sets of 15-25 single leg step downs
  • Do sets of 10-20 straight and bent knee calf raises
  • Stretch the backs of my legs
  • Stretch my quads
  • Stretch, point, scrunch, and piano-wave my toes if my shoes are off (reference vid)
  • Do toe CARs while watching TV

I will get into my home gym 2-3x a week and do a microworkout of:

• 8 split squats each side
  • 8-10 bodyweight squats
  • 8-10 ring rows
  • 5-8 push ups on a stand

I will continue doing my physical therapy exercises as I have been, and I will use the foam roller at least once a week.

Feels like a lot, but it's just a lot of little things that don't take up very much time. I'm hoping I see some improvement at the end of 6 weeks, but expect it to be more like 12 before I start really feeling better (though that knowledge hasn't stopped me from wondering why I'm not healed yet after 2 days).

All right nerds. Let's get to it!

Preview_143.png

‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊ source ‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊

• Like 4

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

Your pixelated summery gifs being me joy! And YES all the fresh fruits and veggies right now!!

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

40 minutes ago, shaar said:

Your pixelated summery gifs being me joy! And YES all the fresh fruits and veggies right now!!

I am all about summer joy! I will try to post summery happy pixel art more often this challenge 😊

• Like 1

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

That opening picture gives me such hardcore nostalgia combined with such a peaceful joy (or maybe it's a joyful peace) that makes me wish I could pixelate myself and spend about 2 weeks chilling right there. I love this challenge!

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

5 hours ago, Everstorm said:

I also live about 35 min from the ocean (the other one) and yet it is so hard to get there....  Following for faux Beach vibes 🤭

I also find that I usually would rather go hiking. There are usually a lot of people and unless we're going with friends to play volleyball or do a firepit, it's not my favorite for lounging. The nicer beaches are further. Although, there is one with a pretty good trail that's maybe 45 minutes away. So, for my faux beach vibes I'll be imagining Carpinteria or go with the first image I put up and daydream about lakes.

5 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

That opening picture gives me such hardcore nostalgia combined with such a peaceful joy (or maybe it's a joyful peace) that makes me wish I could pixelate myself and spend about 2 weeks chilling right there. I love this challenge!

Isn't it wonderful?? Normally that type of bright pastelly color isn't my jam but it really works for this. It makes me feel like everything is okay, like nothing really bad exists in this little spot.

• Like 2

I sometimes wish life was more like the pixelated imaginary worlds we can play. It would be fantastic if everyone just chilled, tended their gardens/inns/shops/animals and lived in peace.  

And please keep sharing as much as you have space too! (Oh and totally following for more reminders of how to just chill)

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Roams Among the Trees

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

On 7/26/2023 at 7:28 AM, Sepherina said:

I sometimes wish life was more like the pixelated imaginary worlds we can play. It would be fantastic if everyone just chilled, tended their gardens/inns/shops/animals and lived in peace.

That would be fantastic.

d7p2yk6-9559adcb-f056-4b83-819a-4ad1dba1

‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊ source ‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊

I got into my home gym today for 20 minutes! (Goal 4) I was going to do it yesterday to make up for not doing it on Monday, but slept poorly and didn't get up on time. It felt really good to get up on time today and do some exercises to start the day. I'm aiming for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Presently I have my shoes off under my desk at work to stretch my feet. My seaside summer vibes shoes should be arriving Friday! Fingers crossed they fit!

Doing my knee exercises throughout the day has been going all right. I think I overdid it a bit the first two days (which was before the challenge started) so I've been pulling back the difficulty a little to avoid enthusiasm injury (to my feet, incidentally — my heels were hurting from rolling my weight over them for the tib raises). Reminding myself this is an investment in the future and I shouldn't expect results immediately! (Also Goal 4)

I'm going grocery shopping tonight. My last three persian cucumbers went bad. They go quickly and I need to prioritize salads early in the week to get through them. So, more little cucumbers, more baby tomatoes, more fruit, and some meal stuff too I suppose, and I'll be all restocked on fresh fruits and veggies tonight. (Goal 2)

On Monday I went for a late evening walk around the neighborhood with the hubs and troubleshot some parts of my novel. Act 3 is really giving me grief, but I'm going to work on it a little tonight and a little tomorrow night, and for an extended block of time on Saturday. (Goals 1 and 3)

• Like 5

188f97cd0943c976329f1ad499eeaa7f7c1e0305

Last night the tweens did not come to aikido so it was just me and let's just say I now understand the low-key thousand yard stare my other teacher got when she said she's been the only student going to Wednesday class. We did suwariwaza (kneeling techniques) and I felt all the muscles I'm working with the exercises in Goal 4. And I am sore this morning.

hiromi-matsuoka-aikido.gif

this is the technique in question

Fruits and veggies have been restocked! (Goal 2) And I got a little bit of writing in last night, and confirmed my long session will be tomorrow! (Goal 1) And, just to keep the good things rolling, my shoes should arrive today!

• Like 4

That gif is giving me flashbacks to when my brother was trying to teach me what he was learning in BJJ but all it really amounted to was him repeatedly throwing me to the ground.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

I love everything about this challenge. 🌊

“If you're reading this, you must be in dire need of a change. The same thing happened to me, long ago. I'd lost sight of what mattered most in life... real connections with other people and nature. So I dropped everything and moved to the place I truly belong.”
— Grandpa's Letter from Stardew Valley

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

Current Challenge: Stardew Valley

9 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

That gif is giving me flashbacks to when my brother was trying to teach me what he was learning in BJJ but all it really amounted to was him repeatedly throwing me to the ground.

😂 that sounds about right

8 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

I love everything about this challenge. 🌊

Welcome 🤗

9 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

my shoes should arrive today!

They fit!!!! The seam of my footie socks digs in a bit at the top of my foot, and the canvas is a little stiff where it folds into my foot when I bend it, but I expect both of those things to soften up a bit with time (and i have different socks i can try). But they are comfy, just wide enough, and cute. I waited to order a gel arch support until I confirmed the shoes fit so I need to select one now. The foam insole that comes with it is quite comfy but I will need a little more arch support.

• Like 4

HOORAY SHOES!! I'm sure once they break in and you get better arch support in there everything will feel a-ok!

4 hours ago, shaar said:

HOORAY SHOES!! I'm sure once they break in and you get better arch support in there everything will feel a-ok!

4 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Yay for fitting!!! 

I'm pleased and honestly can't quite believe it. I bought two pairs of shoes in a week and they're both good?? The Jordans (my impulse fashion shoe purchase, when I saw a colorway I've been after for about 5 years) fit as expected, which is to say, narrow and flat but no pinching and well-cushioned. The Astrals are 90% perfect and I expect them to break in well. I've had so many shoe-related disappointments trying to find something that fits and is comfortable, this doesn't seem real 😅

My local Target has the arch supports I was eyeing in stock so I'm going to try to get them today so I can have them for our trip to botanical gardens tomorrow morning. (Goal 3 inbound!!)

I didn't do any of my knee or foot exercises yesterday, but I feel okay about it because my feet were hurting and I was sore from aikido. I found a little rubber massage ball I've had for years this morning and I'm using it to massage my feet under my desk today and I'll get back to the exercises. (Goal 4)

Today is my long writing session! I'll need to eat lunch but I have 3-4 hours open and to myself this afternoon. 🙌 (Goal 1)

And I had a nectarine and blueberries with yogurt and granola for breakfast this morning.  (Goal 2)

Happy Friday, Nerds!

digital-art-pixel-art-pixels-pixelated-w

‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊ source? ‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊

• Like 4

il_1588xN.4899500855_3qhd.jpg

Guess what?! The arch supports didn't work out, but I wore my new ocean-y shoes to the botanical gardens anyway and they were comfy without any extra support! I'm just having a little discomfort in my big toe joint after wearing them, but no arch pains, so I'm going to be sure to incorporate some big toe exercises into my daily foot exercises.

I did do some knee and foot exercises yesterday and today (Goal 4). We went to the botanical gardens yesterday and absolutely melted in the heat, but thoroughly enjoyed the Chinese gardens and bamboo forest in particular (Goal 3).

Friday's writing effort was decent, and I'm finishing up a scene today. I'm going back to add in some more stuff (again!) so tbd if I move forward with Act 3 after finishing this scene, or go back to finish filling that stuff in. Either way, decent progress on Goal 1.

Cheers Nerds and happy start to Week 1!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I'm glad your new shoes are working out! And still very much enjoying the summer vibe pics.

14 hours ago, Everstorm said:

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the gardens without arch pain!

I'm pretty stoked about it. I did have one pair of shoes many years ago that I wore for three years straight without arch pain (they were Keen Presidios) and I'm hoping that these are similar in comfort (though I don't expect the same durability since they're much thinner; we'll see).

Basically my shoe life since high school has been a saga of always looking for comfortable shoes and rarely finding them, and eventually giving in to growing a small collection of fashion shoes and accepting pain as a consequence of wearing them. But I always need a comfy shoe to return to if I'm going to wear fashion shoes, and comfy shoes are a challenge. I had prescription orthotics for a while in high school and college and couldn't find shoes they fit in, and I've rotated through various combinations of shoe and insole as an adult. I've spent hundreds of dollars on insoles that didn't work out and tried on dozens of brands of shoe. I kind of think that orthotics were not really the solution to my problems, which is why I'm trying this whole strengthening thing right now. I had a lot of problems with my prescription orthotics which is part of why I ditched them in college, but for all my shoe searching and experimentation, I've never combined a wide and flexible shoe with foot and knee exercises, nor stuck with foot and knee exercises long enough to see benefits.

So, here's hoping this challenge helps me find some new solutions!

One thing I am working on remembering in life is that usually there isn't one thing that will solve any particular problem. Usually you have to do several things and they will make the problem some amount better, and sometimes you have to switch up the strategies to keep mitigating the problem. That's not as satisfying as finding the one perfect foot routine that solves all my body pain, but it's much more realistic.

cwh3ow32agb71.png?auto=webp&s=47c5dbb2af3e2267a43c7dcac0ff3e2eaab38c22

I went for a walk last night and this morning (Goal 3). I originally wanted to get into the home gym this morning, but I woke up stiff and sore and dead tired. Not exactly sure why — I suspect stretching my legs more will help. (With the soreness, not the dead tiredness.)

I'm anticipating a couple of difficult conversations this week. One is exploring a disagreement with a friend, no idea what the energy draw is going to be. The other is with a friend who needs some help processing a miscarriage and has found it hard to talk through with people who haven't been through that kind of thing. She actually had the miscarriage last year, and didn't tell me for about six months because it was pretty soon after my stillbirth and I was still a total wreck. So, now that I'm much more stable, I feel like this is a good chance to thank her for caring for me at that time by caring for her now and in the sense of finally being in a place where I can reciprocate caring for my friends, I'm looking forward to it. 100% we're just gonna cry about our babies in a coffee shop though and I'll probably be shot for the rest of the day.

As it pertains to my goals (Goal 1), I am not going to aikido on Wednesday this week so that I can have a period of time to write before spending a lot of emotional energy on these conversations. I might write Saturday, but Thursday and Friday are out. Props to my husband for pointing this out to me as I was debating what to do on Wednesday.

Fruit for breakfast today, salad for dinner tonight (Goal 2). I did some knee and foot exercises yesterday, and I think I'm ready to (carefully) increase volume/difficulty again; I'm not getting pain in my heel as much (Goal 4).

• Like 6

Good luck with those hard conversations. And that’s awesome that you realize you are in the headspace to be able to take that on!

2 hours ago, shaar said:

Good luck with those hard conversations. And that’s awesome that you realize you are in the headspace to be able to take that on!

Yeah, there’s a lot I still don’t feel like I have the headspace or heartspace for, but I’m glad I’ve got space for this one. 💕

2 hours ago, obax said:

I'm enjoying the peaceful pixels.

Following along for good vibes.

Keeping this up for the whole challenge seems likely to get me deep into art archives trying to find stuff that keeps to the general vibe and color scheme but at the moment I AM DETERMINED! The vibes must go on. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

One thing I am working on remembering in life is that usually there isn't one thing that will solve any particular problem. Usually you have to do several things and they will make the problem some amount better, and sometimes you have to switch up the strategies to keep mitigating the problem. That's not as satisfying as finding the one perfect foot routine that solves all my body pain, but it's much more realistic.

This. I am slowly coming around to giving up the search for perfect. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

21 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

cwh3ow32agb71.png?auto=webp&s=47c5dbb2af3e2267a43c7dcac0ff3e2eaab38c22

I could sit here and enjoy that view all day.

Wishing you strength and peace for your hard conversations.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

I'm anticipating a couple of difficult conversations this week. One is exploring a disagreement with a friend, no idea what the energy draw is going to be. The other is with a friend who needs some help processing a miscarriage and has found it hard to talk through with people who haven't been through that kind of thing.

These both sound tough for very, very different reasons. Good luck with both.

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

This. I am slowly coming around to giving up the search for perfect. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

It's hard, because I so want to find the perfect solution! But the search for perfect has just left me frustrated over and over again, and I've overlooked good enough.

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

Wishing you strength and peace for your hard conversations.

7 minutes ago, sylph said:

These both sound tough for very, very different reasons. Good luck with both.

Thank you 💕 

8sga470xlf9a1.gif

I got into my home gym this morning! I did some bodyweight squats, ring rows, push ups on a stand, and split squats. (Goal 4)

Last night I did not write because I had to run an errand after aikido (the bread we bought was molded underneath the colored part of the bag where we couldn't see it). Aikido was super fun, though. The 11-year-old said she wanted to do rolls so as the senior student I was the demo person for progressively more difficult rolls, and I was thrilled to discover the body does in fact remember some of this stuff and I was able to get back up to medium-height falls pretty quickly. I did go a little too hard one time, because I was trying to show the aforementioned 11-year-old she didn't need to be scared of me rolling over her so I gave it a little extra air and my hip hit the mat just a hair before my hand and leg. But the mats we roll out on the gym floor are some high quality shock absorbent foam, honestly better than the floors in my old dojo on multiple levels, and I took one Aleve last night to head off any inflammation and I feel fine this morning. 🙌

And if you followed my last challenge, you may remember that every time I have some stress about aikido, something happens to show me that I didn't need to worry at all — before I could even tell my teacher I wouldn't make it to Wednesday class, he told me he has to go out of town for work and Wednesday class is canceled. I honestly didn't expect doing aikido again to be such an aggressive lesson in chilling out but I'm here for it.

I made a gorgeous salad last night. (Goal 2) I've been trying to copy a salad made by a friend at church, and I got closer with this one. It had a handful of lettuce, a handful of kale rubbed with lime juice, cherry tomatoes, persian cucumbers, baby bell peppers, sauteed broccoli, a nectarine, chopped bacon, and a lime honey vinaigrette. 😋

Happy August, nerds! (Can't believe it's August already!)

• Like 5