Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer

I always love when the universe works out in the end.  And that salad sounds fantastic. 

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Roams Among the Trees

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

mountains_over_the_sea_by_jellypandah_dc

‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊ source ‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊

I am. so. sore. My abs are sore. My obliques are sore. My quads are sore. My feet hurt. My knees hurt, the insides hurt to the touch like i've been standing barefoot on hardwood for extended periods of time and the backs are sore too somehow. My finger knuckles are sore, which feels like not an exercise related thing and more like I ate too much sugar (which I didn't, yesterday, but over the weekend yes, delayed response maybe?). Also I have bruises on my legs. I bruise too easily.

Most of this is from all that rolling and falling in aikido. The knees, I'm not sure. I think it's a combo of extra strain in aikido and adjusting to the new shoes. So I'm wearing old shoes today, which aren't really more comfortable but they are fully broken in and have (old, worn out) Dr Scholls in them. I'm feeling a little discouraged about having an increase in knee pain so soon in my knee-focused challenge, so I'm reminding myself of this:

Supportive shoes and rigid insoles allow me to be comfortable when I am wearing them, but did not increase my body's tolerance for being barefoot. That is what I am working to increase. It will take time. I will rotate shoes in an effort to spare my joints constant irritation, but my muscles and tendons and ligaments will take time to strengthen.

Also, my body deserves a little TLC. Instead of being frustrated with what my body can't do yet, take care of it during the process of getting stronger. Foam roll, massage, use some ice if I have to.

And hydrate. Hydrate so much.

(Goal 4, all of the above.)

Went for a short walk this morning. (Goal 3) Woke up feeling exhausted plus all of the above soreness, so I was late getting out the door and it was short, but it was lovely out.

My stomach has been killing me since I ate some spicy homemade chicken tikka masala on Sunday, so while I had leftover salad for lunch yesterday (goal 2), I had ochazuke for dinner...and breakfast...and packed for lunch today. Making baked salmon tonight with rice and leftover sauteed broccoli, and I'll start curing some Japanese salted salmon for onigiri on Friday. 😋

Tonight is my designated writing time for the week (Goal 1). My plan is to play my violin for about 20min while the salmon is baking, and then once I've served up my food, write for the rest of the night. I expect I can get about two hours of writing in.

Happy Wednesday, Nerds!

• Like 4

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

32 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

Also I have bruises on my legs. I bruise too easily.

Me too. I get bruises from carrying lumber or leaning on ladders or...I'm not even sure what, but I've had bruises the entire summer. Except for when something actually hurts and I think, "that'll leave a bruise." Nope, nothing.

33 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

Instead of being frustrated with what my body can't do yet, take care of it during the process of getting stronger.

Excellent insight here.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

9 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Me too. I get bruises from carrying lumber or leaning on ladders or...I'm not even sure what, but I've had bruises the entire summer. Except for when something actually hurts and I think, "that'll leave a bruise." Nope, nothing.

It's a mysterious state of being.

10 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Excellent insight here.

This way of thinking has been hard for me. I am more often frustrated than caring toward myself. But I had the thought when I was doing a little foot massage and some toe exercises the other night that taking care of my feet might actually help them get stronger and feel better, vs getting frustrated never changed anything and burned up a lot of my emotional energy.

I'm trying to get this thinking deeper into my psyche so I can apply it to other areas of my life too. I'm looking for new words to describe self-compassion to myself since I have a lot of associations with it from social media that don't feel applicable to me and I've been unreasonably resistant to the idea. So far the most useful thing, while not exactly self-compassion, has been to remember Zuko and Uncle Iroh and how firebending fueled with anger and a desire to prove oneself was weak and Zuko had to figure out his own path to a new source of firebending.

• Like 1

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

I have?? developed a pain? when i point my toes?? why is this happening 😂 it's in the side of my lower leg right above the ankle any time i extend my foot. very weird. guess i'm going easy on the knee and foot exercises today.

• Sad 1

3ad3c61f0b468e596ca0258be3d88959.jpg

I did a very tiny bit of writing last night. I opened my project. I made an effort. I logged it in my writing diary. I'm a little disappointed I didn't use the full two hours I had and didn't get into a scene, but I was really tired and just wanted to go to bed and hadn't pre-planned what was going to happen in the scene I left off on. (Goal 1) I made dinner and played my violin for a little bit, just some scales and open string bowing to remind myself of the skills I worked on when I was practicing more regularly. (I am very beginner, level 1, just playing for my own enjoyment.) When I gave up on writing, I watched my husband play Death's Door for a bit.

My ankle still feels a little funky but not as bad as last night. I'm not as sore today, either, so on the up and up overall. I took it really easy with the PT and knee exercises last night. (Goal 4)

Leftover broccoli with dinner last night, a nectarine with breakfast, and today I'm going to the cafeteria for lunch so I'll probably make a sandwich and tbd if they've got any good fresh veggies today. (Goal 2)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

hadn't pre-planned what was going to happen in the scene I left off on.

I've tried the advice before where you stop writing when you still know what you want to happen next so it's easier to pick up when you get back to it, but I've had that backfire on me. I knew that I had a plan when I stopped last time and things were flowing well, but I just couldn't find the threads of it. 

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

2 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I've tried the advice before where you stop writing when you still know what you want to happen next so it's easier to pick up when you get back to it, but I've had that backfire on me. I knew that I had a plan when I stopped last time and things were flowing well, but I just couldn't find the threads of it. 

Yeah, that's a bit what happened here. I was on a roll on Sunday and stopped while I was ahead. But I hadn't decided on what should go in that scene (which is a scene I went back to add once I realized I had no school-related scenes despite my main character still being very much at boarding school, vs several of them in the first half of the story) and I couldn't get enough creative energy flowing to come up with an answer last night. I might have had better luck if I'd used my momentum on Sunday to generate ideas, or I might not have. Regardless, it was it is, and I shall tackle it this weekend!

I did do a consistency check on a world-building item and wrote a few sentences, so it wasn't just staring at the screen. And that's part of why having my writing log has been working so well — I can mark down that I did a consistency check, even though that didn't result in a word count increase. 🙂

9 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I feel this. I tend to write in a few marathon sessions rather than many smaller sessions, which helps me keep my threads together but doesn't make for the best consistency...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

On 8/3/2023 at 7:04 PM, obax said:

I feel this. I tend to write in a few marathon sessions rather than many smaller sessions, which helps me keep my threads together but doesn't make for the best consistency...

Yeah, I marathoned my first and second drafts in 2-3 months, but draft three has been seven months and counting. It's a lot better for sustainability and necessary for the types of changes I'm making and problems I'm solving, but internal consistency is definitely taking a hit.

tumblr_o3zyf0Q3rq1s335jfo1_r3_540.gifv

I need to get to work, so this will be a brief summary check-in:

Goal 1: I solved a problem and figured out where I'm going next, but didn't actually get a writing session in this weekend. Friday I got sucked into reading a book, then from Saturday we've got a friend staying with us this week and another friend next week, so my schedule is a little out of the ordinary, and I was really tired after a late-night airport pickup. Also our car's catalytic converter went out and hubs was tired after dealing with it and wanted to play Death's Door, so I watched because I'm very invested.

Goal 2: Made a salad last night and restocked on veggies and berries for this week. 

Goal 3: Hiked to my favorite boba place on Saturday and went for a walk last night.

Goal 4: Did very minimal foot/knee exercises over the weekend, but did do a few.

More later, probably!

Happy Monday, nerds.

• Like 2

10e1a3615e04bfd6c264d6fcf9c50d33.gif

Finally got back into my home gym this morning! Did 4 reps of my glutes exercise, which is turns out is almost exactly the same as hip CARs, so I tried to do a little internal tension to...CARify it...did 20 each straight and bent leg calf raises, 25 tib raises, 25 each leg step downs, and 5 each leg split squats, 2x8 ring rows, 5 push ups on a stand, and 10 bodyweight squats. (Goal 4)

For dinner last night, we made grilled chicken with chopped persian cucumbers, heirloom cherry tomatoes, and baby bell peppers and a yogurt sauce on top, all in a soft chewy naan. So good. The tomatoes were incredible, too, some of the best tomatoes I've had all summer! (Goal 2) Not related to the fruit and veggies goal, but I also made salted salmon and got some homemade kimchi from a friend, so this morning I had salted salmon, kimchi, and a runny fried egg on rice for breakfast. 😋

This week I am planning to write tomorrow and Thursday. TBD if I will also write on Friday; it's our last summer half day 😢 and I'm not sure what we're going to do. (Goal 1)

Stay chill, nerds!

• Like 3

Oooh - beach fire looks like exactly where I want to be right now!

Good job on the exercises. 

42 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

The tomatoes were incredible, too, some of the best tomatoes I've had all summer!

We sliced our first home-grown tomato at dinner last night. It was delicious!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

We sliced our first home-grown tomato at dinner last night. It was delicious!

Home grown tomatoes are on another level! I want to try growing them sometime but didn't start early enough this year.

741b066eff82e56aaab12962512ba741.gif

I went to bed with a headache and woke up with a headache, which is never a good sign. Guess I'll take some Tylenol, but not sure the cause of this headache or what else I need to do to kick it.  Our AC is out so we slept with the windows open and a fan on. I use earplugs, fortunately, cuz that box fan is loud. Didn't get outside or into the gym this morning, just moved slowly and felt poorly.

I want to go to aikido tonight so I don't forget the stuff I worked on Monday, but I also want to work on my novel tonight because I might not have much time to devote to it for the next week and a half, and I can't really do both because I want to really get in to writing and take advantage of a 3-4 hour block, which only works if I make a quick dinner and get to it. Alas, alas. In any case I've got a headache! So step one, see if my headache resolves. Step two, see if we get our car back from the mechanic today (technically I can get a ride with one of the teachers, but it would be more convenient to get the car back and drive myself). Step three, see if I am excited to write. If I am, definitely ride that. If I don't want to write, might be better to go to aikido. Hubs has stuff to work on tonight so I wouldn't be ditching him if I do. But also I want to write because I prepped to but didn't actually do the writing over the weekend! It's overdue!

Blah, blah, FOMO, blah, blah thanks for listening to my verbal processing.

I had kimchi and salmon and rice for dinner last night, reprising my breakfast since I was in a hurry. This morning hubs made toast and eggs and cut up a nectarine with some strawberries and raspberries. The raspberries were 🤌🤌🤌

Maintenance guy just showed up and checked the AC and said the filter is dirty. So, maybe it is an easy fix. We'll see. Either way it's super nice out right now and I've got the windows open so it doesn't matter much this morning.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sylph said:

Hope the headache eases (or has eased already!). Makes for a miserable day, otherwise.

Thanks 💕 It stopped hurting but I still don't feel right, if you know what I mean. I think something's pinching a little in my neck. I'm also allergic to basically all the pollen, and sleeping with the windows open and having the windows open all day is probably giving me a little sinus pressure.

On the plus side, the maintenance guy dropped off a portable AC unit for our bedroom and the AC tech will be out tomorrow to look at the central AC. On the down side, our car is stuck in the shop until tomorrow. On the plus side again, it's actually cloudy today and breezy so while it's still mid-80s our apartment is heating up too bad because the sun isn't hitting it. All in all, very decent time to have the AC go out. Much much better than having it go out during a Santa Ana winds event with temps in the triple digits and hot, dusty, pollen-filled, bone-dry wind. 😅

• Like 2

22 hours ago, obax said:

I like the latest gif, very peaceful. Add waterfall in the background and you've got the little oasis near my cottage almost exactly.

Your cottage sounds delightful.

tumblr_p258dcLotW1wng9rso1_500.gifv

‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊ source, kinda ‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊

I didn't do any knee or foot exercises yesterday, so I got up and did some when I was feeling restless at work today. (Goal 4) My toes feel funny in my Oofos which I usually wear around the house (on the hardwood, at least). It feels like my ring toe is jammed under my middle toe and they do visually look a little crammed together. I don't know why—this never happened before. But it might be time to gradually (gradually) see if I can tolerate being barefoot on hardwood. (Or maybe get new house shoes?)

AC got fixed today, car's still in the shop.

I did get a decent writing session in last night. (Goal 1)

Got in a couple walks around the block, too. (Goal 3)

Today I made some fruit tea with muddled raspberries and strawberries, thin slices of lime, grenadine, and green tea. Once I finished the tea I poured a lemon La Croix over the fruit. Both good summer concoctions. (Goal 2)

• Like 3

f932fffb08fff5bf3e974895614ce1c0.jpg

*squints at calendar* What is this? Week 2? We just finished week 2. So, recap so far:

🖋️ Goal 1:  The ocean is big, deep, and terrifying — now write act 3!

I made great progress this week! Solved a couple little problems, made a continuity change, and moved forward to the next major scene. I got five writing sessions in, too, which is remarkable. Two of them were very little, but I had two really solid longer ones as well.

🥬 Goal 2: Nothing says summer like fruit — buy and eat fresh fruits and vegetables every week

I made a big fancy salad last night and had some strawberries with breakfast. I also ate some cookies and went and got a taro milk smoothie so my digestion isn't loving me today. The fruits and veggies help, at least. 😛 The bummer is that the taro milk smoothie wasn't really worth it. I tried it from a different shop than the last one I got and it wasn't as good and it was more expensive. I think I'm going back to fruit teas for the rest of the summer.

🌻 Goal 3: The ocean is something you feel — go outside often

I didn't hike this week, but I did get in a couple walks around the block. We had odd weather last week, lots of clouds, a little bit of rain, and enough humidity that the pages of my special edition Locked Tomb books started warping. (For reference, we usually have humidity in the 20-30% range when temps are in the 80s-90s, so a couple days with humidity around 70% on the day our AC was out so all the windows were open was a big shock for my poor books.)

Goal 4: Boat shoes are cool — strengthen your knees

I did my knee exercises over the weekend, and today got into my home gym.

I have been having tenderness in my MCL pretty consistently, so I looked up some exercises and while I haven't finished the video yet, there's a lot of overlap with the exercises I've already been doing. I also looked up exercises that might help overpronation, because everything is connected and while foot issues may cause pain higher up the kinetic chain, I find it very reasonable that hip or knee issues could aggravate overpronation as well. And again, it's stuff I'm already doing or already knew about — and one exercise I forgot about! I don't know when it dropped out of my PT routine, but I haven't been doing hip bridges in months. So I'm adding that back into my PT routine and going to try to ramp up the glutes and hip flexor drills, knee CARs, tib raises, calf raises, and split squats. The other thing I want to add is something specifically to strengthen my quads, some tape in the garage to do Y-balance thingies, and better stretching for my legs, but not yet. I'm looking at buying a balance board to stand on at work, and for $4 more I can get a bundle with elastic bands, and those will give me some more leg options.

The main thing is that I'm still not getting into my home gym more than once a week really, so I don't want to add multiple new exercises to my day without a strategy to actually do them at least a couple times a week. Strategy first, volume second.

• Like 3

c0d13d361d2b113395819904b64aab2f.gif

‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊ found on pinterest ‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊

I am wiped out this week. And I forgot to do any knee exercises yesterday. However, I increased them over the weekend+Monday and my MCL tenderness did feel better yesterday. Today they still feel tender if I press on them but I'm not feeling passive pain. Correlation?? One hopes?? I'll be sure to do some more today. (Goal 4)

I didn't do any writing but I played my violin last night, which was nice. I have very rudimentary skills but I enjoy the act of playing, and I felt less down after.

We had fruit, yogurt, and granola for breakfast this morning. (Goal 2)

• Like 3

2da4c0b4fdc2f233126181868752e1e3.jpg

‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊ found on pinterest ‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊

I did good on the knee exercises yesterday, and went to the chiropractor/PT and got my back fixed (though it hurts again this morning 😭 it might have just been too out and I need to go back sooner to help it heal). I'm super tight and kinda sore today. Doc had me do a plank/bridge kinda thing with my feet on a yoga ball to test my body's instinctual weight distribution and it's possible I'm sore from that?? Also my knees hurt worse which I don't like. I put on my old Vans+Dr Scholls today.

I did get into the home gym for a short time this morning and did my knee exercises, hip CARs, split squats, glute bridges, and 5 ring rows. I really, really, really need to stretch more. Calves are tight, hamstrings are super tight, quads feel tense. I can feel my feet are too tight when I do aikido. Stretching takes time which is why I never do enough of it. (Goal 4)

I plan to write a little bit tonight. (Goal 1) I'm starting to think about ways to build up a web presence and gain followers who can become fans who will buy books. My coworker whose wife is a freelance editor told me that if you have one thousand loyal fans, you can find publishing success, because one thousand is enough to cover your advance or your self publishing costs. And while that is a substantial number, it actually feels doable to me, and it's a thing besides writing that can help increase my chances of success, so I'm feeling excited about that.

No veggies or outdoor excursions to report today. It's getting hotter as we approach hottest month of the year, September. Still planning to hold onto summer vibes through the end of this challenge, to keep with the hot weather, and switch to Fall Mode in October. 🙂

• Like 3

philipp-a-urlich-oldtree-640x320-1b.jpg?1606661629

Updates!

🖋️ Goal 1:  The ocean is big, deep, and terrifying — now write act 3!

I am happy with my progress on my novel this past week. This upcoming week, I plan to write on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday.

🥬 Goal 2: Nothing says summer like fruit — buy and eat fresh fruits and vegetables every week

This one was so-so. Several of my cucumbers went bad. We're out of groceries now and buying lunch and dinner, we'll go grocery shopping after work tomorrow. We've eaten out a lot as we've had friends from out of town this week. I feel okay, but hubs has been noticing some ill effects of inflammation (which is not common for him, so that's a bummer, but hopefully eating better solves the problem and that's all it is!) and I know I'll feel a lot better if I get back to the veggies and ease up on the sugar.

🌻 Goal 3: The ocean is something you feel — go outside often

I got a hike in on Saturday. It was pre-"hurricane" and gorgeous, cloudy, warm, a little windy. I got a grapefruit fizzy drink with honey boba at the end of the hike.

Goal 4: Boat shoes are cool — strengthen your knees

Knee exercises have been a little hit or miss — I did them Friday, but not over the weekend...I'll be sure to do them at my desk today. I ordered a wobble board to stand on at my standing desk in the office, and a yoga ball which I can use to stretch out my back at home. I'm still having some knee pain, but I'm not sure if it's my MCL or the hamstring insertion point or both. Sometimes it's definitely the hamstring. My legs feel restless and tight all the time, and my aikido teacher is going for a December kyu test which includes several suwariwaza (kneeling) techniques, which will be ROUGH if I don't get my knee and foot strength up pretty rapidly. All the exercises I've been doing support that super well, especially the split squats, and literally just doing some knee walking between classes will help build up the strength as well.

Cheers, nerds!

• Like 3

I have learned from this knee endeavor that my left knee is notably worse than my right knee. Twice this morning I've done some single leg step downs at my desk and I keep having to cut back the range of motion on the left today; even the lower range of motion hurt a little once I'd irritated it, but I'm not exactly sure if I should stop altogether in that case or keep doing the reduced loads. And this pain is under the patella, not the inner knee pain I've been having that I'm pretty sure is due to tight hamstrings and overpronation (and I read that improving hip stability and mobility can help with overpronation). The patella pain is the primary pain I'm seeking to resolve with the Knees Over Toes protocol, that and the crunching sound I periodically get around the patellar tendon — the inner knee pain I suspect will improve with foot and hip improvements (though I'm sure they're related! Everything is connected!).

Edit: I just realized this increase in patellar pain is probably from all the knee walking last night 🤦🏻‍♀️ obviously 😛