Artemis Prime Goes Rogue

I had a brief moment of disengaging today also, though I think it was less intentional than yours, but I did think of you when I realized I was staring into space while standing in the middle of the road completely disengaged from the world around me... It was quite peaceful until I realized my surroundings. The thought I had was 'I don't think this is quite what Artemis meant, but...' and then I went to stand back up on the boulevard where I should have been in the first place.

• Haha 2

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

22 hours ago, sylph said:

That is a quick change! And if the shoes that you wear 90% of the time aren't comfortable, that seems a worthwhile reason to swap loot around.

After pondering this further, I still don't think my toes have actually spread that much after 1.5 weeks of exercise. My theory is more that my toes probably were cramped in those shoes, but I was so used to it I wasn't noticing, but now I'm more aware of how my toes feel when they're not scrunched, and so also aware of when they are scrunched.

18 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

That's some good foresight! It'd be unfortunate if they associated the new barn with any feelings of separation anxiety. 🤔

I'm not worried about separation anxiety so much as them just not being where they're supposed to be. I don't think they miss me that much when I'm gone, as long as someone is showing up and feeding them.

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

10 hours ago, obax said:

I had a brief moment of disengaging today also, though I think it was less intentional than yours, but I did think of you when I realized I was staring into space while standing in the middle of the road completely disengaged from the world around me... It was quite peaceful until I realized my surroundings. The thought I had was 'I don't think this is quite what Artemis meant, but...' and then I went to stand back up on the boulevard where I should have been in the first place.

Remember kids - always disengage responsibly!

• Haha 2

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

Had a good day yesterday. Got my office exercises in, finished my tack room wall before having a productive church meeting, got some barefoot time in after dinner and disengaged for a bit before doing my pull ups.

Going to stick with hiding today, but I did wear my Lems Boulder boots to work today, and the extra toe room is very noticeable.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

3 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

My theory is more that my toes probably were cramped in those shoes, but I was so used to it I wasn't noticing, but now I'm more aware of how my toes feel when they're not scrunched, and so also aware of when they are scrunched.

This has happened to me before. I wore Adidas Sambas for like two years straight and then suddenly just couldn't take it anymore. I don't remember what the thing was that made me more sensitive to the cramped toes, but once I was aware of it it was impossible to shake, and I went out and bought some Keens. These days I switch up my shoes enough that I'm not horribly bothered by cramped toes for a day, unless it's also warm out and then my feet get hot...then I can't think about anything else. 😛 As I've been doing foot exercises and breaking in new shoes at the same time, I feel a lot more aware of how my feet are while I'm walking, which is kind of annoying to be honest 😅 but I think it's good overall, part of the process of improving proprioception, I think.

• Like 1

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

On 8/4/2023 at 12:32 PM, foxinthenorth said:

I feel a lot more aware of how my feet are while I'm walking,

I've had this problem on some of my lunch break walks, where I realize I have no idea what they're talking about in the podcast I'm listening to because I'm so focused on my feet.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend! Hiding on Friday was a good decision. Had an excellent dinner with my sister and parents for her birthday, then a good D&D session. It was a bit of a late night compared to my usual bedtime, though, so was kind of feeling it on Saturday. Still had a good, productive day though. Got about 1/3 of the siding up on the east wall. It went pretty quickly and we  could have gotten more done, but that was all the boards we had routed, so instead I switched to inside work and got the longest section of stall front done. However, I'm using oak boards for that, and those things are freaking heavy. Also trimmed my old guy's hoof, which is always a heck of a workout because mustang hooves are apparently made out of freaking adamantium. So feeling pretty beat up by the end of the day, but I still did my foot exercises and barefoot time, and was quite happy to disengage for a bit. Took it easy on the ring work since my arms were fried, but I did work my hip flexors some as part of my L-sit progression. A pre-dinner nap left me still too tired to do much but a bit too awake to go straight to bed, so I watched Critical Role and Dockside Diplomacy may be the most I've laughed at a CR episode since the flying cows.

Today I started kind of slow as I was feeling yesterday. Just back from a good church service. I'm taking on more of a leadership role in our women's ministry, and it feels good to flex those ministry muscles again. Not to mention it's a load off my pastor's wife, who does way more than one person should have to.  Going to take it easy today. My sister is out of town and my brother isn't expected to show up, so I should have all afternoon to nap and read and otherwise lounge about, but I may give the dog a bath and probably going to do a little barn work because I am a menace to myself. But it really shouldn't be bad today, because I just want to get the short section of stall front done, so that's only like 5 boards and they'll only be 6 feet long. I'll take my phone down with me so I can snap some pictures for you guys.

• Like 6

Hello! Yesterday was a bit of a struggle. I did a lot of napping and lounging and never really did get super motivated to do anything. So lots of disengaging, and also got barefoot time and ring work in, but no foot exercises. Thought about them a couple times, but never got around to actually doing it. In non-challenge items, I didn't put any boards up in my barn, but I did so some routing and restacking. Also, my brother and I wrote a picture book together about 6 years ago for our niece, and I'd like to have a copy for him when I go out to California next month. But it doesn't copy super well, so I'm redoing it by hand. I started it ages ago, promptly forgot about it, and suddenly realized next month is pretty close and I should get on that. I should have time to finish it, but I can't forget about it again.

Weekly summary: Did pretty well. Got 22 out of 28 possible points, which puts me at a total of 45/140.  Lots of ring work this week, and a few pull ups. I haven't been rolling the dice, just picking what I want to do, but I should probably mix a few more pushups in there.  Disengaging has been going well, but if I'm going to dial back the barn work a bit, I'd like to start adding in one or two runs a week. All in all, though, very pleased with my progress so far.

Today: I want to walk to the library today to pick up my hold on my lunch break, but I already got drenched walking into the office today, so if the rain is still around, I really don't want to go out in it again. I've got my Lems Boulders on today, so barefoot shoes all day, but it also means I probably won't do my office exercises. So home exercise list tonight, I'll actually roll the cube for sneak attack, should draw a couple more pages from the picture book, and maybe a little barn work, weather pending.

The promised pictures - east wall ~1/3 done:

20230806_194054_HDR.thumb.jpg.7193741e2cb07b7bb3de39d4c3eea313.jpg

And the front of my run-in stall half done, with tack room wall in the background:

20230806_194120.thumb.jpg.052e9735bd66afcbee8dde8a697318cc.jpg

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Had a good challenge day yesterday. Rolled a 1 for sneak attack, did 3, 3, 4 pull ups. Got my barefoot time in and remembered to put the toe spacers in for the first 15 min of it. Also did my home exercises and disengaged after dinner.

Got a nice bit of routing done yesterday and most of the short stall front done. Rain hit before I could get the last board up, and I ran for the house before I got stranded in the barn. Also got 2 more pages drawn from the picture book. Only 12 to go, I think, then I have to go back and color them. Also made it to the library and back yesterday on my lunch break without getting rained on.

Today, planning to do my office exercises. I'll roll again for sneak attack tonight, and shouldn't have any trouble disengaging and getting barefoot time in. It's actually not supposed to be that hot, today, though, so maybe instead of disengaging I'll go for a run instead. I'd like to finish that section of stall front, but it's just one board so I should get that done and still have time to dash.

Made my overnight oats for this morning with Soylent's strawberry flavor boost. It's fine, smells like strawberries but the taste didn't come through as well. The quest for the perfect overnight oats continues. Also, I have a meeting this afternoon for the grant application we did back in April. We've made it to the next stage of the approval process, which is exciting. I'm very distracted now, though, and feel like I probably won't get much work done until we have that meeting.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Good morning! I did not get my office exercises in yesterday - too focused on the grant meeting, which ended up being a totally disappointing waste of time. We have made it through to the next stage, which is good news, but basically they sent us an email to set up a Teams meeting, the main purpose of which was to tell us to watch for an email they'll be sending out requesting additional information. I did get my barefoot time and pushups in, and also took the day off from barn building to go for a run instead. I did 1.5 miles at a 9:27 pace, which I'm really pleased with, although it is faster than I meant to go yesterday. My pacing is all off, but I imagine it will come back with practice. Also, there were a lot of people around due to cheer and football starting up, so witnesses made me run harder than I would have if I was alone. Also had a slight change of plan in the run, because I couldn't use the track due to aforementioned activities, so I used the road instead. I did my first mile in 9:11, which is much faster than I anticipated, but it's also almost entirely downhill. I wasn't actually planning to go farther than one mile, but I decided to do the last half mile uphill to offset the downhill and hopefully give me a more realistic idea of what time I'm at, which bumped me down to the 9:27 pace.

Anyways, the run did me in for the night, so I didn't get my home foot exercises in either, but I did get 2 more pages done in the picture book.

Today, planning to do office exercises. Having lunch with my pastor to talk about starting the ordination process. I have to write an essay for that, which I just haven't been motivated to work on, but I'm going to have to buckle down and do it. I was planning to start classes in September, but I might bump that to January because I really want to get electric to my barn this fall, and that's going to eat up a chunk of change. Going to my neighbor's tonight, so I'll disengage and do barefoot time after, but I think I'm going to take a rest day from sneak attack. Thinking about adjusting my points a little to accommodate rest and hide days, since they are supposed to be built into the challenge and I don't want to penalize myself for taking advantage of them, but I'm also on track to hit my goal without any tweaks, so I think I'll let it ride for now and see how it goes.

• Like 4

Hello! I got my disengaging and barefoot time in yesterday. Not sure of the exact time, because I haven't really been watching the clock, but that's fine because clock watching seems antithetical to true disengagement. It's also helpful to have someone who models porch sitting relaxation so well.

20230809_191522.thumb.jpg.54d55d38a12f128c1856e97a4fb8cf38.jpg

Didn't get any more picture book pages done. I'm not usually in the mood to do anything after being at my neighbor's. I don't mind giving her one day a week, but I used to dread the day when I won't be going over there regularly anymore, but honestly I'm at the point now where I will not be sorry to not have that on my plate. 

Had a productive lunch meeting with my pastor yesterday. He was the bishop of his last diocese, so he's very familiar with the ordination process and was able to give me a good overview, although some things may be different in this diocese. Basically the first step is writing that essay, so I'm going to aim to have that done by next week. Also, the deadline for fall class registration was August 1, so I'm definitely pushing my start date back to January. Also, my pastor is going to ask the Vestry to help pay for my classes. Not sure if or how much they'll approve, but I appreciate him asking and anything they cover will help.

For today, should be a chill day. Office exercises, roll the cube at home, disengage and barefoot time. Work on picture book. Maybe get some more stall front done. Considered getting another run in, but still a little sore from Tuesday's run, so I think I'll take another day before going out again.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Happy Friday! Yesterday I did my office exercises and disengaged, but I did not get my barefoot time in and bailed on sneak attack, too. I did get the run in stall front done and the stall gate about half done. Also had a couple friends pop out of my lumber to say hi.

Didn't get any picture book work done either, which really needs to be done. So gotta buckle down today and get it all done, including home foot exercises since I won't get to them in the office today. That means I'll have to take it easy on the barn work, going to aim to finish the gate, but not worry about getting it hung.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

On 8/11/2023 at 3:20 PM, MaeradCase said:

Yaaayyy, animal friends helping with the construction!!! 😃

I really like the way the newt has his front legs up on the board like he's ready to lift it. "Don't worry, I've got this end!"

So...what did I do this weekend? Friday I disengaged and got my barefoot time in, but didn't do any exercises. Saturday I got the full complement in - pull ups, disengaged, foot exercises, and barefoot time. Sunday I skipped sneak attack but got everything else done. I didn't get quite as many picture book pages as I'd hoped, but did get some and I'm down to 8 pages left. Also got the run in stall finished with the gate hung in the barn, and another chunk of siding up. Run in stall isn't technically done since the bolts that came with the latch weren't long enough, so going to run out today and get longer bolts to finish that. Might start the south door after I get home, but there's also a chance of rain, so I might just finish the latch and call it a day.

Last week I got 21 points and currently sit at 66 out of 140, which puts me on track to hit 126 by the end of the challenge, but I'd like to step it up this week to get a little more buffer going.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:
On 8/11/2023 at 2:20 PM, MaeradCase said:

Yaaayyy, animal friends helping with the construction!!! 😃

I really like the way the newt has his front legs up on the board like he's ready to lift it. "Don't worry, I've got this end!"

I saw a toad in my garden yesterday, and I was delighted to see him, insisting that he feast upon the noisy crickets before they get inside the house. 😆

And at the car shop, one of the workers came rushing into the office gleefully holding a ring-tailed gecko! I shared her enthusiasm as her coworker stared at her in baffled confusion. 😅

• Like 2

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

19 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

I saw a toad in my garden yesterday, and I was delighted to see him, insisting that he feast upon the noisy crickets before they get inside the house. 😆

And at the car shop, one of the workers came rushing into the office gleefully holding a ring-tailed gecko! I shared her enthusiasm as her coworker stared at her in baffled confusion. 😅

I was showing the pictures to coworkers today, and one of them was grossed out by the newt, which I wasn't prepared for, and I was like, "but I didn't even get to the snake yet!"

A strong start yesterday. Did my office exercises, disengaged, got barefoot time in, and did ringwork. Also got the latch installed on the run in stall with the proper bolts, and moved some lumber around so I can start building stalls. I want to do the door frame tonight, but it might rain, in which case I'll have to stick with indoor stuff. I also got a couple more picture book pages done. Feeling pretty good about having the drawings done by the end of this week, then on to the coloring.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Snakes, yikes! I think I would run inside the house and hide under the covers.Scared Horror GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Ha! I still jolt if I don't see them until I'm right on top of them, but we've got enough snakes around, I'm pretty used to them. Especially garters, which are nice harmless noodles. 

So, that strong start did not last long. Yesterday I got home, worked on my barn for a while (got the south door framed and about half covered) and then did not do much of anything else for the rest of the evening. No exercises, no barefoot time, no real disengagement since I was fiddling with electronics most of the time. But I think I'm okay with that. I am pivoting this challenge a little, because what kind of rogue actually sticks to the plan?

My old barn is in rough shape and getting rougher by the day. So, the plan is to move the horses into the new barn on August 26, which gives them a week and a half or so to get used to the new place before I leave for California. So finishing the barn is my new priority. And really, all that absolutely needs to happen to get them in there is hanging the south door, putting chains across the north door, and building two stalls. Ideally I'd finish the east wall first, but it's far enough along now that it could be finished after they move in. And I'll have to move some fence lines, but that can't actually happen until they're out of the old barn, so on the 26th I'll walk them into the new barn, put them in stalls, and then rearrange fences so I can let them out. 

I'm not going to completely abandon all the other stuff, but I'm not going to fuss that much if I don't get around to it. I do really want to finish the picture book, though, or at least get it all drawn, even if I don't get it all colored. And I'll still be checking in here, because rogues tend to run into big problems when they scout too far ahead of the party.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

I am pivoting this challenge a little, because what kind of rogue actually sticks to the plan?

😆 100% in character foe a rogue to improvise when the rest of the party is trying to make the square plan fit in a round hole.

• Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

No barn or picture book work yesterday, and also no original challenge stuff either. I went to my neighbor's and we cleaned out her tack room. It was kind of depressing, going through all the stuff we used to use and no longer have any need for. I did take some of it (I got the jingle bell harness, which makes me happy) but a lot of it was stuff I either don't use or do use and so already have my own. I took some other stuff just to make her happy, but I don't plan to keep it. We found an entire box of foal halters, which was kind of bittersweet to part with. I fondly remember wrestling a foal into a halter for the first time and then watching them prance around shaking their head, trying to figure out what the heck the humans just did to them. But also, I don't actually miss doing that and have no intention of getting back into raising foals. Boxing up the driving harness was hard. Her husband had a dapple gray Percheron he absolutely loved and they made a beautiful picture in the trap going through the fields in late summer.

So anyways, there's that. She told me that she tried to go through it on her own a few times, but wasn't up to it by herself and was really glad I was willing to help. I couldn't help but think, "Yup, now we can both be depressed tonight." But it needed done and I didn't really mind. But I wasn't up for doing anything else after.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

So anyways, there's that. She told me that she tried to go through it on her own a few times, but wasn't up to it by herself and was really glad I was willing to help. I couldn't help but think, "Yup, now we can both be depressed tonight." But it needed done and I didn't really mind. But I wasn't up for doing anything else after.

I'm glad you were able to be there for her and help do what needed to be done.

Normal to need some rest and quiet after a tough emotional task like that, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello, friends. I had dinner with my sister last night, which was nice since I hadn't seen her since her beach trip, although we were both tired so it was a very chill evening. Before I headed over there, I finished the siding on my barn door (almost, need to cut a little 2 inch strip to finish it finish it) so tonight the plan is to put the final strip on and then get the cross bracing done. I have to drive into Pittsburgh this afternoon and I have D&D tonight, so we'll see how much time I have in between. I would like to finish the door and start on the stalls, but I would like lots of things, and that doesn't mean they happen.

Tonight is also my cousin's fiancée's bridal shower, which I feel kind of bad for missing. I originally said I would go if I didn't get too tangled up in traffic coming out of Pittsburgh, but I've since decided that even if I make it home in time, I'm not going. Pre-pandemic I had a bad habit of way over-scheduling myself and then running myself into the ground with my determination to do everything that I had said I would do. As things start to pick up again, I am trying to be very conscientious of not getting back to that level of busy-ness. Also, a Friday evening is a very weird time for a bridal shower, I know several people who aren't going simply because they don't get off work in time to make the drive over to the venue.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

trying to be very conscientious of not getting back to that level of busy-ness.

I salute you for thinking this through and deciding to avoid over-scheduling.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

On 8/18/2023 at 10:21 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

I salute you for thinking this through and deciding to avoid over-scheduling.  

I think I may have gone too far the other direction and would benefit from getting out a bit more, but I'm planning to tackle that once my California trip is done. Right now, my sole focus is getting the barn done and making it across the country and back with my mother with our relationship intact.  (I'm not actually that worried about traveling with her, but we do have very opposite travel philosophies, which I anticipate causing a bit of friction.)

Happy Monday, all. I've fallen behind on everyone else's challenge, but I do hope to catch up a little this week. I only got 9 points from challenge stuff last week, which isn't great. I did get back into disengaging over the weekend and also got some barefoot time in. I also got a lot of barn building done, though, so I'm giving myself 3 points for barn work, which brings me up to 12 points for the week and 78 points for the challenge. This week, the focus is going to be getting office exercises in and doing at least barefoot time or disengaging every day, if not both. I'm not too worried about sneak attack right now, because barn building is enough of a workout. 

Speaking of, we got the south door hung yesterday!

20230820_195057_HDR.thumb.jpg.4df3fb42d274c71972e46c4c1606e07b.jpg

That sucker is heavy, very glad my brother was willing to help. He's a beast and we definitely would not have gotten it up without him.

No picture book progress. It's starting to look a bit doubtful that I'm going to get that done, but you never know. I'm moving the horses in on Sunday (One day later than I originally said, but I forgot that my uncle's corn roast is Saturday, and I don't want to move them and then leave them alone.) and after that the barn work will slow so I'll have more time for drawing and coloring. 

I also met with a prospective spiritual director on Friday. I really liked her, but we're both taking a week to mull and reflect and will touch base later on whether I'm going to become a regular client. 

Wanted to work on windows tonight, but my dad isn't available, so it'll be more stall building.

• Like 4