Maerad's Eleventh Hour - Regeneration

"Maerad, where have you been?!" you might be asking if you felt my absence last challenge. Well, I knew I'd be back, but I also knew I burned out - not just because I set myself up for failure last challenge with all athletic goals and no drive to face them all (malicious masochism not confirmed). But there's obviously been a lot of emotional situations going on in my life siphoning what life power I have. Not to mention I hit the one year mark of being on Nerd Fitness Forums and my brain decided to go haywire because I didn't fix all my problems in a single year.

image.png.e87b241d9f7334ae1f43787c7d1930da.png

What rational-minded person would expect that? 😅

Then again, that's not my rational brain complaining.

Anyway, I need to sift through my skills and abilities in hopes of figuring out how to proceed well through my second year on the forums. If I were a strategist, I could do a roadmap, but I'll stick to my haphazard chaotic style that ends up echoing what I see other people doing and trying to rely on what went well for me already.

Feel free to announce yourself as Rory or Amy in the follow comments. 😉

image.png.5c0cd751970599dbfc9f08b67deee5d7.png

I don't think I'll actually use Doctor Who as a challenge theme. I just liked that I could borrow the title for my challenge and wanted to revel in that measure of joy. 😅

I do have a notion of what my challenge will look like, and I promise to have it up soon, but I wanted to make a small post today just to say that I am here and I am excited.

(Also that I did a set of Hinge Health stretches before eating lunch. I have managed to stay afloat with that for at least two sessions a week, though I hope to challenge myself to maintain a more regular habit of it)

I am so very excited for this challenge! Hope you are, too!

Sincerely,

Maerad

image.png.85e2ed0b680278d078abedc65f036a41.png

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 2

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

Wonderful to see you back, Maerad!

• Thanks 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Hello! Glad you are back! One of the great things about the forums is that you are always free to pop out when you need a break, and they are here and waiting for whenever you're recharged and ready to return.

• Thanks 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

1 hour ago, Rhovaniel said:

Wonderful to see you back, Maerad!

Thank you, Rho! Good job on your paper progress over the last challenge, btw. ❤

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

Hello! Glad you are back! One of the great things about the forums is that you are always free to pop out when you need a break, and they are here and waiting for whenever you're recharged and ready to return.

Thank you! It does help that I stuck around to follow along even if I wasn't giving myself any challenges for the last round. So even though I took my foot off the gas, I was still cruising in the right direction with my hazard lights blinking. 😅

1 hour ago, Everstorm said:

Welcome back!  I have been on the forums for 10+ years now.  Burning out is a thing.  Coming back is also a thing 😁

It boggles my mind to consider you've been here that long. But I'm glad you're part of my circle to contribute wisdom and insight. ❤

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

2 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

I don't think I'll actually use Doctor Who as a challenge theme.

Are you sure? It's nice and shiny...

• Haha 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

32 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:
3 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

I don't think I'll actually use Doctor Who as a challenge theme.

Are you sure? It's nice and shiny...

I did remember you doing a Doctor Who challenge. 😅 As much as I love the fandom and the show, I can't conceive of my using it as a challenge theme... Probably because the doctor would tell me to run, and two minutes later I'd be panting and begging to be exterminated or upgraded. 😆😆😆

🤔 Although upgrading is a relevant idea... 😅 No, Nope, Nuh-uh! 😆

• Like 3

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Maerad! Good to see youuuuu!!

Burnout is a thing and I’m glad you took some time to recharge. I’ve been foruming here for a long time too (10 years next year) and Ever is right, breaks are a thing, and coming back is too! And we will be here waiting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Glad to see you, Friend! I am very much looking forward to your updates and cheering you along. You’ve got this! ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 hours ago, shaar said:

Maerad! Good to see youuuuu!!

Burnout is a thing and I’m glad you took some time to recharge. I’ve been foruming here for a long time too (10 years next year) and Ever is right, breaks are a thing, and coming back is too! And we will be here waiting!

Thank you, shaar! It's good to be part of a community that encourages paced progress. ❤

10 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Glad to see you, Friend! I am very much looking forward to your updates and cheering you along. You’ve got this! ❤️ 

Thank you, Sovalis! I like that everyone on your thread last challenge was chomping at the bit for a new start. 😍 

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Welcome back! 

Thanks, Tank! 😃

Quick morning update:

Last night I ran session zero for a Curse of Strand campaign, introducing 4/5 player characters to each other. Lots of RP, a bit of a kerfuffle, and a bit of mists blocking all but the route to a certain mansion in the town of Barovia intended to set the mood for the setting. 😆

We got all the characters built and we got started around 8, then played until 11. Everyone had a good time and is excited for next week! 😍 (they don't know there are dangerous and spooky monsters in this mansion, aside from the one the children outside told them about 😅)

Might post again later. Gotta finally get up and get ready for another early shift - my boss finally took his vacation, like he ought to, but my hours have me there a half hour early to compensate for the gap in our usual pattern. 🤔 (Fortunately he's back tomorrow and I have a half-day on Thursday when maybe I can do things I haven't felt rested enough for)

Thanks for being here!

Sincerely,

Maerad

• Like 6

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

It is such a joy to be drinking my coffee and reading an update from you. I am also glad (and thought it was super funny) that we were all on my last thread waiting for the new challenge to start. What a community!! ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

41 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

It is such a joy to be drinking my coffee and reading an update from you. I am also glad (and thought it was super funny) that we were all on my last thread waiting for the new challenge to start. What a community!! ❤️ 

Don't mind me melting into a puddle of joy at that shared image of me making someone's day better. 💜💙💚💛

Quick lunch update:

I got in another lunch time Hinge Stretch. I haven't done the harder ones in the morning for two reasons - that I've been having an earlier work start time and that my shoulders have been hurting since Saturday, possibly thanks to managing to trip on a sidewalk pothole (Nat 1 perception check and dexterity save). The simpler stretches from level 2 without resistance bands are at least keeping my shoulders and neck from seizing and freezing, but the ache is miserable.

@Everstorm returned the favor of my introducing her to Naomi Novik's Spinning Silver by convincing me to read her Deadly Education, and I can see why filling crystals would be a fun flavor for challenge themes. I'm halfway through the book after two days of focused reading, and anticipate reading the other two just as quickly. (Please tell me it's a complete trilogy, and that I'm not charging headfirst to a cliffhanger at the end of book three)

And then I visited @Rhovaniel new challenge and have adrenaline for the D&D boss fight mechanism. And I'd love to figure out how to use that - it's brilliant. 😲😍😃

But in the end I have goals but not yet a cool flavor to give them unless I adopt from either of them. In the meantime 

I think I'll revisit my previous use of emojis for 0%, 50%, 100%, and 110% effort to reach goals.

Ranger athletic goals get to be trees:🍃🌱🌿🌳

🍃Did not exercise at all (trying to avoid that)

🌱 Did small exercise, but not tracked (Hinge Exercise stretches done off the app, ACNH warm up stretches, etc)

🌿 Did small exercise that was tracked (Hinge Exercise done on the app at least three times a week)

🌳 Did a big exercise (NF BBW, biking, swimming, etc)

Wizardly goals involving books: 📋📕📖📚

📋 Read nothing (not likely)

📕 Read something (includes my reading activity at work)

📖 Read prep material (my D&D prep for running Curse of Strahd)

📚 Read from my own book (first and second drafts and beta reader notes)

Week 0 so far (including Sunday when I helped my mom move furniture around and stayed up late reading CoS in a panic about Monday's session 0):

🌳🌿🌿

📖📖📕

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

2 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Please tell me it's a complete trilogy, and that I'm not charging headfirst to a cliffhanger at the end of book three)

It is a complete trilogy, never fear! 

I have so many incomplete series I am in the middle of right now.  By the time the next book comes out in any of them, I can't remember who anyone is anymore. Authors need to write the whole series, then publish 😆 

• Haha 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

30 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

It is a complete trilogy, never fear! 

I have so many incomplete series I am in the middle of right now.  By the time the next book comes out in any of them, I can't remember who anyone is anymore. Authors need to write the whole series, then publish 😆 

While I won't argue with that sentiment, I am also aware that authors make their living by being paid per book, so for them to be able to meet the needs to live long enough to complete said series, they also deserve to be selling the books as they finish them. 😅

Glad to hear that she did a solid trilogy. 😃

• Like 2

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

The emojis are back!! 😍🥳🙌

Glad to give any inspiration I can! I can hopefully refine my Boss Battle as I go, but if I figure out what works well, I'm happy to share!

• Thanks 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Hello and welcome back! I have been on and off the forums for I think about seven years, so you're certainly not alone in taking wee pauses and coming back when the need arises. I hope you don't mind if I follow along. I would love any anecdotes you feel like sharing from your campaign btw (I am currently DMing a playthrough of Waterdeep: Dragon Heist and love stealing inspiration/ideas from people!) and I wish you success and fun and momentum with your challenge goals.

Also I don't know what prerequisites I'm meant to fulfill in order to make this claim, but given the choices, I am 100% Amy, except probably it'd be a mix of 10% little kid Amy, 40% default Amy, and 50% old Amy from that one episode where Amy meets her older self.

• Thanks 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

4 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

The emojis are back!! 😍🥳🙌

😆😍😃 I'm so glad you enjoy them. One of these days I might have to challenge my eating again in another Hobbit Challenge just to use all the food emojis again. 😅

4 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Glad to give any inspiration I can! I can hopefully refine my Boss Battle as I go, but if I figure out what works well, I'm happy to share!

I will follow along and try to figure out how to adapt it to my own boss challenge. ☺

4 hours ago, Severine said:

I hope you don't mind if I follow along. I would love any anecdotes you feel like sharing from your campaign btw (I am currently DMing a playthrough of Waterdeep: Dragon Heist and love stealing inspiration/ideas from people!) and I wish you success and fun and momentum with your challenge goals.

Of course! Happy to have you along!

CoS is the first official material I've ever run... Wait... I did do a single session into a wizard's tower that had stolen three major artifacts. Most of the games I've run have been one-shots of my own conception. I gave myself a bit of anxiety trying to absorb all the material, but I think it'll serve me well enough to be prepared. I'll share snippets each week, and I'm happy to hear it interests you to hear them. ☺

4 hours ago, Severine said:

Also I don't know what prerequisites I'm meant to fulfill in order to make this claim, but given the choices, I am 100% Amy, except probably it'd be a mix of 10% little kid Amy, 40% default Amy, and 50% old Amy from that one episode where Amy meets her older self.

Amy is so fun. 😃

• Like 3

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

CoS is the first official material I've ever run... Wait... I did do a single session into a wizard's tower that had stolen three major artifacts. Most of the games I've run have been one-shots of my own conception. I gave myself a bit of anxiety trying to absorb all the material, but I think it'll serve me well enough to be prepared. I'll share snippets each week, and I'm happy to hear it interests you to hear them. ☺

I am dipping my toes into DMing by running Keys from the Golden Vault as loosely connected one-shots while our regular DM takes a break from running our campaign, and I'm really enjoying it. I think I see more DMing in my future, but I like the shortcut of prewritten material. I think it takes more time and brain energy that I currently have to homebrew. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

6 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I am dipping my toes into DMing by running Keys from the Golden Vault as loosely connected one-shots while our regular DM takes a break from running our campaign, and I'm really enjoying it. I think I see more DMing in my future, but I like the shortcut of prewritten material. I think it takes more time and brain energy that I currently have to homebrew. 

Ah, but by home-brewing the players have no idea if your brilliant plans were made in advance, made in the moment, or (better still) inspired by their own thinking out loud when you can hear and take it and use it instead of whatever you'd come up with. 😅

On the other hand my one-shots are extremely straightforward in that I tell my players to be goblins so that I can expect every planned event to go sideways and every obscenely weird decision to be made entirely in character... (Some prime examples include zip-lining with sheep, taking several rounds of damage by picking up enchanted goblets, and killing off cultists one by one through "interrogation") 😂

Hi guys! Happy to be here even if my last 24 hours went awry. My keys weren't on my purse when I left work last night.

Spoiler

It took over an hour to resolve the problem, including walking back and forth between car and break room twice before locking up, being dropped off nearby, notifying Cidran, notifying my work team, waiting for roadside assistance, scouring the floor of my car when he got it unlocked, asking the landscaping crew if they'd seen any keys, and finally calling my boss for permission to reenter the building where I looked as slowly as possible and found them on the floor away from my cubby. Nearly broke down crying on the phone with my boss.

Cidran and I ate the restaurant I'd been waiting at, and I had a meltdown, and I don't feel like I've recovered from it.

I spilled my water at my work station for the second time in the last five days.

But good news: I finished reading "A Deadly Education" and am now torn between IMMEDIATE CONTINUATION INTO THE NEXT BOOK or reading "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" which I've been waiting several weeks on hold for... And I'm a bit too tired to decide right now. 😭

I did untracked Hinge stretches this morning and ACNH warm ups at work. I'm not going to worry about doing more stretches in app, but this means I get at least partial credit today instead of naughts. Yay!

🌳🌿🌿🌱

📖📖📕📕

I will persevere to have a good time with friends at game night tonight, and hopefully sleep well enough that I'm much better rested before my half-shift of work tomorrow.

Thanks for being here. ❤

• Like 4

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Sorry to hear you had such a rough evening.  It's awful how such a small thing as keys can make life so stressful. 

boromir-such-a-little-thing.gif.c769ef4aa8012472c3f524032d9aa596.gif

46 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

I finished reading "A Deadly Education" and am now torn between IMMEDIATE CONTINUATION INTO THE NEXT BOOK or reading "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" which I've been waiting several weeks on hold for... And I'm a bit too tired to decide right now. 😭

Hmmm...tough call, but if the wait list was long you don't want to miss your opportunity.   I probably should try reading Hitchhiker's again.  I think I was too young to properly appreciate it when I last attempted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

7 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

I'd love to hear stories and snippets, but could I request spoiler warnings please? 🙏  I am currently playing CoS with my Monday group - not entirely sure how far in we are. But our DM has almost killed all of us at least twice now!

1 hour ago, MaeradCase said:

Hi guys! Happy to be here even if my last 24 hours went awry. My keys weren't on my purse when I left work last night.

That sounds so rough. I hate that spike of panic you get when something like your keys or purse (what we call a purse is typically a wallet in the US - I think!) isn't where its supposed to be. Having that feeling prolonged... ugh. I hope Cidran was supportive and the restaurant food was nice at least!

Hope the next 24 hours makes up for it by being extra shiny and nice to you :) 

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Sorry to hear you had such a rough evening.  It's awful how such a small thing as keys can make life so stressful. 

boromir-such-a-little-thing.gif.c769ef4aa8012472c3f524032d9aa596.gif

Your gif selection is *chef's kiss* perfect. I feel seen and understood. Thank you. ❤

2 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Hmmm...tough call, but if the wait list was long you don't want to miss your opportunity.   I probably should try reading Hitchhiker's again.  I think I was too young to properly appreciate it when I last attempted. 

I postponed my decision with Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer. Last week I sped-read the original story just to make sure I knew the original lore before starting the series, and I'm nearly done with this fun graphic novel spin off that I am 100% including in my CoS game for a fun flavor as a preferred marionette toy to be bought for children. 😂

I'd love to hear stories and snippets, but could I request spoiler warnings please? 🙏  I am currently playing CoS with my Monday group - not entirely sure how far in we are. But our DM has almost killed all of us at least twice now!

Ah! Thanks for the early request before I got anywhere near catching up! I'd love to chat and hear how the game has been going for you! Listening to Dice, Camera, Action playing has helped me lay a foundation of knowledge of the environment and setting, but not entirely with the feedback of how the game feels (except when they cry about Chris Perkins obviously loving the Acquisitions Incorporated group more 😅) and what is most memorable, outside of my own opinions.

I'll try to be vague in my session descriptions for your sake, especially since after they clear the mansion's dungeon I plan to warp them over to Krezk, so there's chance of them having encounters there prior to being through Ravenloft and Vallaki. (My plans might get foiled, though, so there's a 50/50 shot of them following the material as laid out, in which case there's likelihood of them lagging behind your encounters.)

That sounds so rough. I hate that spike of panic you get when something like your keys or purse (what we call a purse is typically a wallet in the US - I think!) isn't where its supposed to be. Having that feeling prolonged... ugh. I hope Cidran was supportive and the restaurant food was nice at least!

Cidran was supportive! 😃 He came down in case of worst case scenarios so that he could get me home safely if the key wasn't found.

Dinner went okay, and the meltdown was a lot to go through on top of the stress. We had frozen custard on the way home as a treat and watched a couple YouTube videos before I played some Animal Crossing and he played Rock Smith.

Hope the next 24 hours makes up for it by being extra shiny and nice to you :) 

I hope so, too. ☺

• Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

I'm so glad you finally found your keys. I wish it hadn't caused you such stress. *Hugs offered*

Yay for partial credit instead of aughts! 🥳🎉

• Thanks 1