Anyone who can order a sundae and eat half of it is a different species from me, I swear. Good job getting the smallest size, though.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

14 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

I'm proud of you for ordering a mini-size even if it was bigger than you anticipated. 😘

Thank you!  It's a step in the right direction. 

14 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Good job getting the smallest portion! That is a total win! 

Your baking looks wonderful and that tea towel cracks me up. 

Thank you!!  The really funny thing about that tea towel is that I have actually been known to say that before heading out into the garden and my sister didn't know it.

11 hours ago, Severine said:

It's a very weird hodgepodge. My undergrad degree was in Latin and Ancient Greek, so I can read and write in both at a very high level, but my spoken Latin is minimal and my spoken AG non-existent because the focus of my program was on literature and translation. Modern Greek is very different from AG so I am useless with it. My French is good enough to converse about a wide range of complex topics and live comfortably in a French country/province. My Spanish is very uneven: situationally excellent for talking about specific things like how to find an apartment because I used it at work for years (helping people find affordable housing) while also being much lower level for topics I'm unfamiliar with. My Italian is super rusty and basically not good for much except understanding opera and being a tourist unless I refresh it. My Russian is good enough to talk to my in-laws about normal family stuff, but I'm quickly lost if the topic turns to anything more complex because my vocabulary just isn't that large. I am still a beginner in Mandarin Chinese. And I once knew how to read German well enough to access articles I needed for Latin/AG academic stuff, but it's so rusty I doubt I could read a children's book these days, and I never learned to speak it.

I have found my people! 😃  My undergraduate degree was in American Sign Language/Deaf Education, so that is where my greatest proficiency lies.  French and Spanish I picked up in High School, of course, as the only foreign languages on offer at a small town school.  I took one year of German in grade school (different, much bigger city at the time) and only recently started studying it again.  I started Portuguese when I was planning a trip to Brazil and the language is so beautiful I have kept it up.  I picked up Japanese living in Japan for 3 years.  My oldest was born there, so he chose Japanese as his language elective.  I have been trying to stay ahead of him to help him along.  (We homeschool).  My youngest chose Greek because he is a Percy Jackson fan, so that joined the list.  I started Russian because I used to be part of an online gaming group that seemed to have a large Russian presence and I wanted to be able to communicate with them.  I really should work on Korean, since my brother-in-law is from South Korea, but the resources I have used for language learning are not as effective with Korean (probably not with Japanese, either, if I didn't already have a good foundation in it).  And I haven't made a huge effort to find new resources when I have so many other languages I am practicing atm.

I hope you know you'll receive nothing but judgement-free enthusiasm from everyone here no matter what you choose to post.

Of course, everyone here is amazing.  We actually have a thread for Inktober posts and everyone was wonderfully supportive.  I mostly stopped posting there because I felt weird about being the only one posting in it after the other participating artists dropped out.  Insta is another story, of course....

When I had a non-WFH office job, I bought a nice pitcher and kept it on my desk during the day filled with water with a few slices of fresh fruit thrown in. It was crazy how much of a difference it made in my water intake to have it right there, accessible, even though the office kitchen was only something like 50 paces away. When I am working, I often get hyper-focused on a task, so before the pitcher, I would feel thirsty and tell myself I'd go get some water in a couple of minutes and then 90 minutes later I'd still be sitting there. I copied the idea from a colleague, and then after he and I both raved about its impact on us, half the office had personal pitchers within a couple of months  :D 

Good idea!

This is such a delicious quote. What's it from?

Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword

It's actually become a rather difficult book to find, although her other works are readily available.   I suspect the license for the e-book has not been renewed, as it is now only available in hard copy.  

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

33 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

I mostly stopped posting there because I felt weird about being the only one posting in it after the other participating artists dropped out.  Insta is another story, of course....

Sorry for not joining in on the challenges thread, but I'm glad it hasn't stopped you from continuing creating regardless of the thread's solitude.

• Like 2

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

35 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

My undergrad degree was in Latin and Ancient Greek, so I can read and write in both at a very high level, but my spoken Latin is minimal and my spoken AG non-existent because the focus of my program was on literature and translation. Modern Greek is very different from AG so I am useless with it. My French is good enough to converse about a wide range of complex topics and live comfortably in a French country/province. My Spanish is very uneven: situationally excellent for talking about specific things like how to find an apartment because I used it at work for years (helping people find affordable housing) while also being much lower level for topics I'm unfamiliar with. My Italian is super rusty and basically not good for much except understanding opera and being a tourist unless I refresh it. My Russian is good enough to talk to my in-laws about normal family stuff, but I'm quickly lost if the topic turns to anything more complex because my vocabulary just isn't that large. I am still a beginner in Mandarin Chinese. And I once knew how to read German well enough to access articles I needed for Latin/AG academic stuff, but it's so rusty I doubt I could read a children's book these days, and I never learned to speak it.

I have found my people! 😃  My undergraduate degree was in American Sign Language/Deaf Education, so that is where my greatest proficiency lies.  French and Spanish I picked up in High School, of course, as the only foreign languages on offer at a small town school.  I took one year of German in grade school (different, much bigger city at the time) and only recently started studying it again.  I started Portuguese when I was planning a trip to Brazil and the language is so beautiful I have kept it up.  I picked up Japanese living in Japan for 3 years.  My oldest was born there, so he chose Japanese as his language elective.  I have been trying to stay ahead of him to help him along.  (We homeschool).  My youngest chose Greek because he is a Percy Jackson fan, so that joined the list.  I started Russian because I used to be part of an online gaming group that seemed to have a large Russian presence and I wanted to be able to communicate with them.  I really should work on Korean, since my brother-in-law is from South Korea, but the resources I have used for language learning are not as effective with Korean (probably not with Japanese, either, if I didn't already have a good foundation in it).  And I haven't made a huge effort to find new resources when I have so many other languages I am practicing atm.

Reading both sides of this made me smile real big. I only have full proficiency in English, my Mandarin has declined, and I'd love to learn more sign language.

Chinese also has the particular titles for each relative to distinguish them based on paternal/maternal, older/younger, male/female, and related/married-in. But that also makes sense because I wouldn't call my dozen aunts and uncles just "aunt" or "uncle," I'd prove that I can distinguish them by adding their name (even if I really do struggle to distinguish a couple of the uncles and  lot of the older cousins). 😅

• Like 2

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

7 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

Sorry for not joining in on the challenges thread, but I'm glad it hasn't stopped you from continuing creating regardless of the thread's solitude.

It's fine, I get that people have other interests they pursue.  I was just starting to feel like that thread was becoming my personal portfolio and that wasn't really the purpose.  If it's just me, I can post the art here, no problem 😊 

1 minute ago, MaeradCase said:

Reading both sides of this made me smile real big. I only have full proficiency in English, my Mandarin has declined, and I'd love to learn more sign language.

Chinese also has the particular titles for each relative to distinguish them based on paternal/maternal, older/younger, male/female, and related/married-in. But that also makes sense because I wouldn't call my dozen aunts and uncles just "aunt" or "uncle," I'd prove that I can distinguish them by adding their name (even if I really do struggle to distinguish a couple of the uncles and  lot of the older cousins). 😅

I wonder if I will get into that sort of thing in Japanese later on, as well.  I already know that there are different signifiers that you add or subtract to indicate varying degrees of formality or familiarity depending on who you are speaking to.  

• Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Today was a good day!

Boulangerie 🍞  I didn't bake today, since I am still enjoying the bread I baked yesterday.   I did find some rye flour at a different grocery store, though.  So I will be able to make that artisan bread now.  Except that I also found a recipe for English Muffin bread that I also might want to try.  Dough-cisions, dough-cisions.

Patisserie 🍰🍰🍰  After all the sweets yesterday, I honestly didn't want a fancy dessert after dinner.  I opted for a few black cherries and a square of dark chocolate 

20230727_173812.thumb.jpg.aa578d12bd241eea9160d2168afad914.jpg

La TraverSeine 🛶🛶🛶 - I did another nice row today followed by a short but fast run.  It felt really good to do.  I am definitely loving the rowing.  

Le Louvre 🎨  The new Inktober52 prompt is in:  Teeth.  I have to do the Rabbit of Caerbannog, right?  It's too funny. 

I did a very fast and loose sketch today to test my concept, which went very well.  I will probably start the underlayer for the official copy tomorrow. 

Lingua Franca ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Took the better part of an hour to practice all the languages.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

12 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Such a  cool collection! I'm envious of your experience with Japanese. It's so melodic and what I learned about it from my Japanese EFL students (mostly details about their sentence structure/word order) was super fascinating. It's another one I find intimidating though. Mandarin is already a lot, so I would want to be more advanced in it, I think, before I tackled another big challenge.

It's so cool that you're helping your kids explore other languages  ❤️ 

Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword

It's actually become a rather difficult book to find, although her other works are readily available.   I suspect the license for the e-book has not been renewed, as it is now only available in hard copy.

Thank you! I will see if I can find it. There's a pretty good market in used books online, so I am optimistic. 

5 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Le Louvre 🎨  The new Inktober52 prompt is in:  Teeth.  I have to do the Rabbit of Caerbannog, right?  It's too funny.

Yessss I am here for this.

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

8 hours ago, Severine said:

Such a  cool collection! I'm envious of your experience with Japanese. It's so melodic and what I learned about it from my Japanese EFL students (mostly details about their sentence structure/word order) was super fascinating. It's another one I find intimidating though. Mandarin is already a lot, so I would want to be more advanced in it, I think, before I tackled another big challenge.

I also am curious about the similarities between Mandarin and Japanese.  From what I understand, one (of the three!) forms of Japanese writing is based on Chinese, with modifiers to adapt to Japanese usages.

It's so cool that you're helping your kids explore other languages  ❤️ 

One of the lovely things about homeschooling is that I have the freedom to adapt our studies to my kids' interests and abilities.   I had started them both in Spanish, since our location makes it the most likely foreign language they would run into, but when they asked about switching to other studies, I was okay with them pursuing what makes them happy.   I think you learn better when you have a vested interest.

Thank you! I will see if I can find it. There's a pretty good market in used books online, so I am optimistic. 

You can find it new on Amazon, but just as paperback, no e-books.

Yessss I am here for this.

🐇🐇🐇

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yes please, the rabbit!

as you wish the princess bride GIF

Le Louvre 🎨🎨- I finished the pencil underlay for the Rabbit today.  I can start inking it tomorrow.   I always dread this part because I am always sure I will ruin it with ink 🙈

Boulangerie 🍞🍞 - I started the "sponge" for the focaccia, which has to ferment overnight before I bake it tomorrow. 

Patisserie 🍰 🍰 🍰 🍰 - I ate an actual mini ice cream today because I made it myself and put it in a tiny 5 ounce jar.  I didn't take pictures because it's insanely hot today and my ice cream was instantly melting.  With the heat index it was 105°F/40°C 🥵  We went and bought extra fans for the house.

La TraverSeine 🛶 🛶 🛶  - I passed on rowing today to do some much needed maintenance on my garden.  I went out as early as I could to beat the heat, but even so, I was drenched in sweat from just weeding and watering.  I also pruned my silverberry shrub, which looks like something from the Little Shop of Horrors with the tentacled-water suckers growing out of the top.

20230728_092502.thumb.jpg.99a60f94c4e62faed8065c73a6d7df05.jpg

I also laid down more mulch, as the last of the dahlias I had planted so late croaked under this crazy heat.  I had left mulch off around the dahlia beds since they supposedly don't like it (being sensitive to excess water).  I wonder if they would have been better off with under the circumstances.   Oh well.  I will be sure to plant them earlier next year to give them a better shot.

Lingua Franca ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ - My streak remains unbroken and I practiced all the everything. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

4 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

I always dread this part because I am always sure I will ruin it with ink 🙈

Man, same. 😅 Every time.

La TraverSeine 🛶 🛶 🛶  - I passed on rowing today to do some much needed maintenance on my garden.  I went out as early as I could to beat the heat, but even so, I was drenched in sweat from just weeding and watering. 

Gardening buddies today! 😃

I also pruned my silverberry shrub, which looks like something from the Little Shop of Horrors with the tentacled-water suckers growing out of the top.

😆😆😆 Just watched that for the first time as a stage play. "Don't feed the plant! 🎵"

Lingua Franca ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ - My streak remains unbroken and I practiced all the everything. 

Yay, good job!!! 💜💙💚💛

• Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

Man, same. 😅 Every time.

To be fair, I have made a couple painful errors with shading, but for the most part they turn out fine or even pretty good.  So why is it still so harrrrrrd?

4 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

Gardening buddies today! 😃

I saw that!  I think we read each other's posts simultaneously. 

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

I also am curious about the similarities between Mandarin and Japanese.  From what I understand, one (of the three!) forms of Japanese writing is based on Chinese, with modifiers to adapt to Japanese usages.

Can confirm. Japanese written language uses three scripts:

• Hiragana: the native script
  • Katakana: foreign script; same sounds but different characters. These are for loan words and pronunciation of foreign words; also, they tend to be used for advertising.
  • Kanji: Mandarin characters. My understanding is that they didn't take all the Mandarin characters, and they don't necessarily know how to read them all, so sometimes you'll see tiny little hiragana characters to tell you how to pronounce them. In that context, they're called furigana.

I don't know what other similarities exist in the languages. One difference I know is that Japanese doesn't have the same emphasis on tones as Mandarin does. You have "questioning" and "declarative" tones similar to English, but it's not like the 4 tones with Mandarin where the same spoken word means something different depending on how you say it.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
9 hours ago, Kishi said:

Can confirm. Japanese written language uses three scripts:

• Hiragana: the native script
  • Katakana: foreign script; same sounds but different characters. These are for loan words and pronunciation of foreign words; also, they tend to be used for advertising.
  • Kanji: Mandarin characters. My understanding is that they didn't take all the Mandarin characters, and they don't necessarily know how to read them all, so sometimes you'll see tiny little hiragana characters to tell you how to pronounce them. In that context, they're called furigana.

I don't know what other similarities exist in the languages. One difference I know is that Japanese doesn't have the same emphasis on tones as Mandarin does. You have "questioning" and "declarative" tones similar to English, but it's not like the 4 tones with Mandarin where the same spoken word means something different depending on how you say it.

It's so amazing to me the seemingly limitless variation in languages (and dialects and accents within langauages).  I wish I could learn them all.

• Like 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

The day in review:

Boulangerie 🍞 🍞 🍞   My focaccia with fresh rosemary from my garden and pink salt from the Himalayas came out beautiful.  I made myself (and most my family) an amazing sandwich with smoked turkey, gouda, avocado, roasted red peppers, and chipotle aioli.  This challenge is very delicious so far!

20230729_134212.thumb.jpg.1fa1c57bb9e1f7290ac39fea405de6b6.jpg20230729_140506.thumb.jpg.43efdfecde37d44952781ea8db865adb.jpg

Patisserie 🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰  Stuck to a small (and slightly messy) slice of pie.  I give up getting a pretty photo, you get it in all its gooey glory.

20230729_172453.thumb.jpg.deab05063560759be7f317bfee4835cf.jpg

La TraverSeine 🛶 🛶 🛶  No rowing today.  I chose to do a GMB Elements workout.  My thinking is that the pushing, lateral movements, and mobility of an Elements session make a nice complement to the rowing to keep me well-balanced and prevent injury. 

Le Louvre 🎨🎨🎨 I inked for a little bit, but I could tell my head wasn't in it, so I stopped and worked on my curriculum for the coming school year.  Three weeks left of vacation 😭

Lingua Franca ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️. Done!

Week Zero went amazing and I am happy with the goals I have set.  I feel this is a good sign for the challenge to come that I am still excited for it all.  Interestingly, the eating changes are making me want to find more new recipes to try to make healthier, tastier food.  I find it disappointing to eat the same old pre-packaged foods lately.   Vive la revolution!

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

Nice job on a delicious and successful zero week!

Thank you!  Today is looking like a good kickstart to the actual challenge.

Boulangerie:  🍞🍞  I am still eating the yummy focaccia, so I did not bake more bread today.  

Patisserie: 🍰  My husband and I tag-teamed to make an amazing dinner of carne asada, Mexican Street corn, and gazpacho.  The gazpacho was a new one for me.  I don't eat nearly enough vegetables and I am realizing it's because I have no idea how to prepare them other than with cheese.  Although it isn't a challenge goal this go-round, I have been looking at recipes and working up the nerve to try them.  I am pretty risk-averse about food --like a toddler 😆  It was decent, and definitely nice to have something so fresh tasting with dinner.  I was pretty full afterwards,  so it wasn't terribly hard to limit myself to one Chocolate Chip Banana Walnut Oatmeal "Cookie".

20230730_164114.thumb.jpg.4ce1bf2549ad8c5cf5c04f5ac1b18051.jpg

I put cookie in quotation marks because I feel the texture is more like muffin top, but either way they are pretty tasty, and they save well-aged bananas from a fate worse than death.

La TraverSeine: Today was a planned rest day, so I only fertilized my roses, folded laundry, did the grocery shopping, and spent half the afternoon making gazpacho and not-cookies.  Very restful.  Yesterday's workout is also still kicking my derriere, as I am quite sore, well, everywhere.  Next row will be tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.  

Le Louvre:  Hnnng I need to work on that tonight.

Lingua Franca: ⚜️  214 days running!

• Like 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

That is bloody amazing. That bunny maw will haunt my dreams. I like that the bunny looks a bit chunky, too - gives it extra gravitas.

• Thanks 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

Awesome! The shape of the bunny body is characteristically bunny, and so is the face! The skull looks fine--I don't think anyone would notice anything wrong if you didn't mention it. If you want to change anything, I would just make the inside of the mouth more consistently dark. It's cool, very cool :)

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

17 hours ago, Severine said:

That is bloody amazing. That bunny maw will haunt my dreams. I like that the bunny looks a bit chunky, too - gives it extra gravitas.

I purposely chose an extra fluffy bunny for my reference photo.  The juxtaposition of his fluffiness and rage amuses me.

12 hours ago, Harriet said:

Awesome! The shape of the bunny body is characteristically bunny, and so is the face! The skull looks fine--I don't think anyone would notice anything wrong if you didn't mention it. If you want to change anything, I would just make the inside of the mouth more consistently dark. It's cool, very cool :)

Thank you!  I felt the composition went well and the shading on the bunny (at least the second day).  I guess I just feel that the style or weight of the two images don't align well.  But it's fine.  I have to remind myself it has only been 7 months and my technique has vastly improved, even if there is still more to learn.

• Like 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Boulangerie:  ️ No new bread

Patisserie: 🍰️. I can see that ice cream will be my nemesis this challenge.   We went out to lunch and stopped for milkshakes afterward.  I told my husband I didn't want one, but he ordered me one anyway and I did not, in fact, protesteth too much.  I then told myself I would eat half and give the rest to my son, who we were waiting to pick up from work.  I did not do that either.  And then felt doubly bad because he had had a bad day and could have used a pick-me-up.   I need an ice cream plan.

La TraverSeine:  🛶 I got in a row today and a run.  Today's row kind of kicked my butt.  And I realized after I finished that I thinknI have been misreading the training plan and doing the full week's worth of training each day 😅   I guess because my other workouts usually have 2-3 circuits per session, I read Session 1 and Session 2 as 2 circuits in the same workout, but I think they are meant to be Day 1 and Day 2.  I have been keeping up, though.  Do I just keep doing doubles? 🤔 

I also officially registered my son and I for the Poker Run on the Water in 3 weeks.  Hopefully it doesn't storm that day.

Le Louvre 🎨🎨 None yet, but I may see if I can tweak my drawing a little tonight.

Lingua Franca ⚜️ ⚜️  Got in a little Spanish this morning, but I definitely want to put in some French practice tonight (and maybe some other assorted tongues)

• Like 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

A week late, but following now! I love baking bread, but have barely done it in the last year and a half. I recently got a fresh sourdough starter from a friend of mine so I'm trying to bake often enough to keep it alive...but it's hot and summer now and will stay hot through October 😅 I always do my best baking when turning the oven on turns the kitchen into a sauna.

• Like 1

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

2 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

A week late, but following now! I love baking bread, but have barely done it in the last year and a half. I recently got a fresh sourdough starter from a friend of mine so I'm trying to bake often enough to keep it alive...but it's hot and summer now and will stay hot through October 😅 I always do my best baking when turning the oven on turns the kitchen into a sauna.

Welcome!  I kind of feel that way about eating vegetables: my best bet is soup, but who wants soup when it's already boiling hot?

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

I don’t know if you are a cookbook kind of person or not, but there is a cookbook that absolutely changed my life when it came to vegetables and that was “Plenty” by Yotam Ottolenghi. I cooked my way through that book as part of my divorce proceedings and I made ~80% of what was in there and there were only two recipes I wouldn’t make again. If you can get it from your library or something I strongly recommend it. 

Your bunny is the best!! 

• Like 3

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson