21 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Oh, the pizza looks so good. And I adore the chameleon. Very characteristic. 

The pizza has been back by popular demand twice now 😁

Boulangerie: Complete 

I plan to attempt a French country loaf today (aka a baguette when you don't have baguette pans).  We'll see how it goes.

Patisserie

Yesterday was better than it has been. But still not quite where it needs to be.

La TraverSeine 🛶

Got in my first row of the week yesterday and it went really well.  I went for a swim afterwards and I never wanted to get out of the pool.  Okay, just one more lap... 🤭  I remembered that this kind of double workout really takes it out of me, and being super drained makes me vulnerable to over eating.  So, I made sure to take a nap and treated myself to a demitasse (I don't normally drink coffee after breakfast) in an effort to combat the fatigue-eating cycle.  I went pretty well until dinner.  My husband had asked me to bake his favorite cookies Oatmeal Scotchies.  I planned to just stick to one, but we ate dinner while watching John Wick 4 and distracted eating is another of my vulnerabilities.  Hence, too many cookies to score a Patisserie point.

Le Louvre 🎨 🎨

No art yesterday, but the new prompt should be out this afternoon. 

Lingua Franca ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

Streak is unbroken, but I still need to practice today.

• Like 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Those red crosses on the patisserie. Is that like, the Red Cross? Doing good and healing? It's good, right? And the skull and crossbones, that's a pleasant reminder to take each day as a gift to savour, right? And the little sign with the necromancer stabbing a bunny rabbit repeatedly, that's... er... wait... are these the bad emojis?

Happy art making with the new prompt. they're once a week, right? 

• Haha 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Those red crosses on the patisserie. Is that like, the Red Cross? Doing good and healing? It's good, right? And the skull and crossbones, that's a pleasant reminder to take each day as a gift to savour, right? And the little sign with the necromancer stabbing a bunny rabbit repeatedly, that's... er... wait... are these the bad emojis?

😂😂😂  

Definitely room for improvement, let's say that.  I did manage to limit myself to two cookies last night.  While they were too large to be patisserie, I am at least moving in the right direction.

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Happy art making with the new prompt. they're once a week, right? 

Yes!  The prompts post weekly on Thursdays.  The new prompt is "slice".  I poked around yesterday for ideas and visual references but put no pencil/pen to paper yet.

Boulangerie: Complete 

I did, in fact, start the dough for artisan French bread yesterday, but I guess I did not pay attention when I found the recipe because it is a long a complex process (much more so than other breads I have made).  So I only got as far as "pre-fermenting" yesterday and am still working on finishing it today. 

I added the remaining ingredients and kneaded the dough.  That was an interesting sensory experience.   Definitely the stickiest dough I have ever kneaded.  It's set to rise for a couple hours before I can divide it and bake it.  But there shall be bread!

Patisserie

Still nope.  See previous notes.  I am determined to get at least one non-red day this week, jammit.

La TraverSeine 🛶

I am very disappointed to announce that the kayak event I have been looking forward to for weeks was canceled this morning with no reason given.  Not sure if I will get a second row in this week in this case, because I will probably try to find a compensatory fun activity for the kids instead of going to the gym.  The beach, maybe.  Unless we just rent kayaks for our own adventure....

Le Louvre 🎨 🎨

Lingua Franca ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

2 hours ago, Everstorm said:

😂😂😂  

Definitely room for improvement, let's say that.  I did manage to limit myself to two cookies last night.  While they were too large to be patisserie, I am at least moving in the right direction.

Yay, for step in the right direction!

La TraverSeine 🛶

I am very disappointed to announce that the kayak event I have been looking forward to for weeks was canceled this morning with no reason given.  Not sure if I will get a second row in this week in this case, because I will probably try to find a compensatory fun activity for the kids instead of going to the gym.  The beach, maybe.  Unless we just rent kayaks for our own adventure....

Aww, that's disappointing. I hope you have a lot of fun with your selected Plan B. 

Le Louvre 🎨 🎨

Lingua Franca ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

• Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

3 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Yay, for step in the right direction!

It certainly seems to have helped.  Today, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and bypassed the can't-eat just-one cookies in favor of a square of dark chocolate.   Very French of me, no doubt.

3 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Aww, that's disappointing. I hope you have a lot of fun with your selected Plan B. 

Haven't decided yet what that will be, if anything, but it is supposed to be rather nice tomorrow after a long spell of insane heat, so hopefully we make the best of it.

Update:

Boulangerie: Bonus!

I have made French bread!  The process was so absurd I questioned its worth at several points, but I did end up with two pretty nice loaves.

20230818_140738.thumb.jpg.6522f4d234564e7cff994c34071df54c.jpg

The flavor was spot on and it did have some nice air pockets, although maybe not as many as it could have, if I was being critical.  I also did not get a "crackle" from the crust, despite my effort at steaming my oven. 

Maybe because I didn't use the bread stone?  I couldn't figure out how to fit two loaves onto it without them running together into one mutant loaf, and the instructions specifically stated separate loaves.  I don't like to deviate on the first bake since that muddles the results, i.e. was it the recipe that was bad or my alterations?  In short, I would not have impressed Paul Hollywood, but I am well enough pleased to eat it.

tumblr_n122wgEIlB1st0dt8o3_250.gif.190b06644ae3e5409980e6c3c9d2b32b.gif

Patisserie 🍰

🥳🎉🎆🏆🥇 I am back on track!

Im Back Episode 4 GIF by Friends

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

It looks lovely! I'd eat something Paul Hollywood thought was only a 7/10, for sure.

Good point!

We ended up deciding to take a chill weekend instead of a make-up activity since we have a vacation planned for zero week.  Very much looking forward to that.

We did some shopping and discovered that fall flowers are now available!  So I bought and planted some dragon asters -- just love that name -- and did general garden clean-up.

Boulangerie: Complete with Bonus

Still enjoying my French bread

Patisserie 🍰🍰

I won another victory today.  My husband bought some gooey caramel chocolate chip cookie bars or some such.  They are absurdly rich and I was quite content with eating just a quarter or the serving size suggested.

La TraverSeine 🛶🛶

Not a proper row, but I at least did a few sets of seated rows in the home gym today since my event was canceled.   Still mad about that.  The weather this morning was made to order for being on the water.  What a waste.

Le Louvre 🎨🎨

No art today

Lingua Franca ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Week 4!  Where does the time go, seriously?  Today signals the last day of summer for me, as school kicks up tomorrow.   My boys are entering 7th and 12th grades.  So big!  I have put more work into my curriculum this year than I have ever done previously, and I am hopeful that effort will pay dividends this year in reduced stress.

Boulangerie: Complete plus Bonus!

Patisserie 🍰

Did good with small dessert yesterday, but today I got caught between "I'm too hungry" and "the pudding needs to get eaten before the milk expires".  I ended up eating 2 patisserie-sized treats instead of just the one.

Also, I discovered that ️ is code for "countdown to your cycle".  Noted.

La TraverSeine 🛶

I got in a quick row today, more like HIIT.  It felt really good.  Will likely row again on Friday.

Le Louvre 🎨

Did a quick sketch to test my idea that went well.  I might try to put down the underlayer tonight.  We'll see.

Lingua Franca ⚜️ ⚜️ 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

6 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Also, I discovered that ️ is code for "countdown to your cycle".  Noted.

That makes so much sense, to be honest.

• Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

10 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Week 4!  Where does the time go, seriously?

Is it really??? Where indeed.

10 hours ago, Everstorm said:

"the pudding needs to get eaten before the milk expires". 

Ah, yes, of course. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Good luck (to both you and your boys) for the new school year!

And Paul Hollywood be damned - your bread looks amazing.

• Thanks 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

14 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

That makes so much sense, to be honest.

I should have known, really.

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

yes, of course. 😄

One day, I will remember my waist line is not a waste bin.

9 hours ago, Severine said:

Good luck (to both you and your boys) for the new school year!

Thank you!  The first day went very well.  I would love it if the rest of the year continued in a similar vein.

20230822_144003.thumb.jpg.bc6f927764e348f7e6a90933c5b66c9d.jpg

My beautiful boys 😍  I joked that next year --since we homeschool-- we should take first day photos in pajamas with bedhead, but then I remembered there will be no next year for the oldest.  This is his last year.  Maybe we should do a funny one with him playing the Xbox in his pajamas while his brother looks ready for school, if he is still at home this time next year.

9 hours ago, Severine said:

Paul Hollywood be damned - your bread looks amazing.

Aw, thanks! 😊

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Midweek update!

Boulangerie: Complete with Bonus!

Patisserie: 🍰🍰

Stuck to Patisserie rules yesterday and doing well today, but we'll see after dinner before I record the win.

La TraverSeine 🛶

No rowing today.  Goal is to row on Friday.

Le Louvre 🎨 🎨

Finished my effort for "SLICE" with this little slice of heaven:

20230822_191545.thumb.jpg.483d7f3f3587413af24a4671330aff5d.jpg

I might try to go back tonight to put the finishing touches on "BOX".  We'll see how the evening plays out.

Lingua Franca ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ 

238 day streak 😁

• Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Boulangerie: Complete with Bonus 

Patisserie 🍰🍰🍰🍰

My husband brought home a pumpkin roll for dessert tonight, so I cut my serving in half for an extra thin Patisserie slice.  I am an autumn girl by both birth and inclination, so pumpkin spice everything cannot come any too soon.

20230824_174408.thumb.jpg.6dae6f0e75d62c65550f2c04d6c3cb08.jpg

La TraverSeine 🛶

Le Louvre 🎨🎨

No drawing today, but I did poke about for inspiration for the new prompt "VAMPIRE".

Also!  I found out that the full prompt list for Inktober proper (31 daily prompts in October) will be posted tomorrow so that artists can develop their ideas now and just go when October arrives.  Should be interesting!

Lingua Franca ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Oh, that's a charming roll. The red gold colour without and the promise of creaminess within. I'm also looking forward to your vampire drawing, if you choose to share :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oh, that's a charming roll. The red gold colour without and the promise of creaminess within. I'm also looking forward to your vampire drawing, if you choose to share :)

I am thinking it might be vampire-adjacent rather than a vampire proper at the moment, but I will likely post whatever I come up with!

And the Inktober advance list is out!

20230825_195625.thumb.jpg.a41726e5f1b9de99c71139b0338668bb.jpg

Too tired for a proper report, but I baked no bread, ate Patisserie-portioned dessert, got in my second row for the week and studied every language since the dawn of time. 🤪

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

4 hours ago, Everstorm said:

I am thinking it might be vampire-adjacent rather than a vampire proper at the moment, but I will likely post whatever I come up with!

Oh yes, plain old vampires are so passé. I was thinking a houseplant with a slightly hungry sheen, or a cup of tea that drinks you. Or someone draining, very draining, but in personality, not literally with teeth. 

4 hours ago, Everstorm said:

and studied every language since the dawn of time. 🤪

If you learn one word from every language you'll... you'll know a lot of words and yet be incapable of speech.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oh yes, plain old vampires are so passé. I was thinking a houseplant with a slightly hungry sheen, or a cup of tea that drinks you. Or someone draining, very draining, but in personality, not literally with teeth. 

😂😂😂 With all my heart I wish I were an artist who could convey any of those things.  My thoughts had run a little more mundane, like vampire slaying kit, Dracula's tombstone, or if I really wanted to go out side the box, a tufted deer

73ceb54f27bd4add87dfa2d8abc6d84d.jpg.03d92d537af5ed7dd2b83460760c57e0.jpg

13 hours ago, Harriet said:

If you learn one word from every language you'll... you'll know a lot of words and yet be incapable of speech.

But...but...how can I choose?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Okay that deer is adorably unnerving. 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Sovalis said:

Okay that deer is adorably unnerving. 😳

Right? They are so unusual-looking.  I almost drew one for the "TEETH" prompt, but went Monty Python instead. 

Week 4 wrap-up:  (Whaaaat?!?)

Boulangerie:  Complete with Bonus 

No new bread today, but I did thaw the last loaf of French bread I had made and it was still really good.

Patisserie 🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰

I made the world's smallest Pineapple Upside-down Cakes after watching an old episode of Bake-Off where the cake was a technical challenge.   

20230826_163914.thumb.jpg.ae5aa324d471967779bd083dd39cc137.jpg

My husband likes to throw the show on in the evenings to wind down, so you may notice I reference it a bit.  These turned out really good, which was especially nice since I had never attempted making them so small (or at all for a very long time). 

In spite of the disaster that was week 3, I have enjoyed having this challenge goal.  I think it was good to think of dialing down the sweets instead of eliminating them all together.  Probably next challenge I will start to look at subbing out for yogurt or fruit, but I think that will go all the smoother for having reduced my sugar intake first.

La TraverSeine 🛶🛶

Feeling the perfect amount of DOMS in my shoulders and abs today from yesterday's row: just enough to know I'm changing, not enough to impede movement or incur misery.

Twice a week rows feel about right.  I still see improvements but I am not wearing myself out trying to get to the gym 35 minutes from my house.  Definitely want to keep this goal moving forward, but I might want to add one or two more days of at-home work to round out my schedule.  My husband and I talked about buying a rower, but it's a big purchase and I tend to have a short attention span.  Plus, I would probably still want to go to the gym periodically to use the lap pool, which we certainly will not be buying.  So, I will continue to make this work.

Le Louvre 🎨🎨

I need to at least do some rough sketches today.  Definitely have been feeling am increasing amount of disinterest here, and I don't think it's the art, I think it's limiting myself to the prompts which don't always inspire me (and often feel repetitive, with prompts like trap/caught and teeth/vampire only a few weeks apart).  I want to finish the year, just to complete things I start.  However, I don't know if I want to do Inktober Original this year, or what I want to do next year to keep up the art habit.

Lingua Franca ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ 

I will never stop learning languages 😆 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

9 hours ago, Everstorm said:

a tufted deer

It's adorable! I bet those fangs are for, um, grass. 

9 hours ago, Everstorm said:

But...but...how can I choose?

It helps for there to be a necessity. (Like living overseas). Otherwise just learn the one that keeps appearing to you in your dreams. Prune the languages, so that one of them may grow deep. 

7 hours ago, Everstorm said:

I need to at least do some rough sketches today.  Definitely have been feeling am increasing amount of disinterest here, and I don't think it's the art, I think it's limiting myself to the prompts which don't always inspire me (and often feel repetitive, with prompts like trap/caught and teeth/vampire only a few weeks apart).  I want to finish the year, just to complete things I start.  However, I don't know if I want to do Inktober Original this year, or what I want to do next year to keep up the art habit.

If you do not like the repetition, then I will not recommend. a month of small birds. Or a month of portraits. Or a month of vampires. What do you like drawing?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

It's adorable! I bet those fangs are for, um, grass. 

I swear the other artists spy on me for ideas.  Shortly after I posted, someone posted the deer as their prompt response. 

It helps for there to be a necessity. (Like living overseas). Otherwise just learn the one that keeps appearing to you in your dreams. Prune the languages, so that one of them may grow deep.

I really have no immediate need for any, although I suppose Spanish would be the most practical in the region.  I do prioritize learning Spanish.  I spend more time practicing it than my other interests, and on days I only have time to practice one language, I do Spanish.  But I still like toying with others, and since I am unlikely to ever need any of them, proficiency isn't super important. 

If you do not like the repetition, then I will not recommend. a month of small birds. Or a month of portraits. Or a month of vampires. What do you like drawing?

I think I have learned that my favorite is landscapes, which does not really lend itself well to pen and ink.  I have been wanting to play with watercolor, but I don't want to muddy the water while I am trying to practice drawing skills, particularly since I tend to hop from one thing to another without achieving mastery (see language discussion above lol).  I have a growing pile of references I would like to paint -- and old prompts I'd like to re-do, for that matter.  I may make daily art a goal next challenge just to get myself to do other things I enjoy besides the weekly prompts.  Even if they never become finished pieces, it would be good to practice rough sketches, simple shapes, or shading techniques on the regular. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness