Jump to content

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

I swear the other artists spy on me for ideas.  Shortly after I posted, someone posted the deer as their prompt response. 

 

They might be spying, yes. Or maybe they googled "fangs". 

 

48 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

I really have no immediate need for any, although I suppose Spanish would be the most practical in the region.  I do prioritize learning Spanish.  I spend more time practicing it than my other interests, and on days I only have time to practice one language, I do Spanish.  But I still like toying with others, and since I am unlikely to ever need any of them, proficiency isn't super important. 

 

Fair enough. Spanish does sound useful. I wonder if I should learn it.

 

48 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

I think I have learned that my favorite is landscapes, which does not really lend itself well to pen and ink.  I have been wanting to play with watercolor, but I don't want to muddy the water while I am trying to practice drawing skills, particularly since I tend to hop from one thing to another without achieving mastery (see language discussion above lol).  I have a growing pile of references I would like to paint -- and old prompts I'd like to re-do, for that matter.  I may make daily art a goal next challenge just to get myself to do other things I enjoy besides the weekly prompts.  Even if they never become finished pieces, it would be good to practice rough sketches, simple shapes, or shading techniques on the regular. 

 

Yes, landscape would be tricky in pen and ink, since it's just so much easier to convey with colour. And it might not advance your draftsmanship as much as, say, animals, faces, or figures, since we can immediately tell when those are wrong. But grass? You could be small, hairy, and indecisive, and it would still be grass. 

  • Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
On 8/27/2023 at 10:59 AM, Harriet said:

Yes, landscape would be tricky in pen and ink, since it's just so much easier to convey with colour. And it might not advance your draftsmanship as much as, say, animals, faces, or figures, since we can immediately tell when those are wrong. But grass? You could be small, hairy, and indecisive, and it would still be grass. 

Exactly so.  Plus, most of the ink landscapes I have seen sort of devolve into scribble to convey all the textures, which I do not enjoy.

 

Boulangerie: Completed with Bonus

 

Patisserie 🍰

So far so good.  I narrowly avoided buying donuts for breakfast.  Whew.

 

La TraverSeine 🛶

Rowed today!

 

Le Louvre 🎨🎨

Vampire!

20230828_125137.thumb.jpg.3ab42661d8ec3c3180875120b195f7d2.jpg

 

Lingua Franca ⚜️⚜️

  • That's Metal 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

 
Link to comment

Your vampire is so beautiful! 🤩

  • Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

 

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Link to comment

That bat is awesome! Really nice everything. The shapes are right, and the stippling is very effective at conveying the details. 

  • Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment

I adore the bat! Also, I can throw in some language-learning-related bat trivia. In French, bat is chauvre-souris, which literally translates as "bald mouse." In Russian it's Летучая мышь, which translates as "flying mouse."

 

  • Like 2

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi
 
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Harriet said:

That bat is awesome! Really nice everything. The shapes are right, and the stippling is very effective at conveying the details. 

Thank you!  I think stippling is my preferred shading technique.  I keep trying hatching, but my brain can't quite make sense of it for rounded shapes.

 

4 hours ago, Severine said:

I adore the bat! Also, I can throw in some language-learning-related bat trivia. In French, bat is chauvre-souris, which literally translates as "bald mouse." In Russian it's Летучая мышь, which translates as "flying mouse."

 

Ooh! Fun facts, thank you!  I was inspired to dig around for some more fun translations:  

German fledermaus (flutter mouse)

Portuguese morcego (blind mouse)

and my favorite Greek nychterida which is basically just "nocturnal creature", but it looks like Night Rider, which is an awesome name for a bat. 😍

  • Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

 
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Everstorm said:

German fledermaus (flutter mouse)😍

 

I always read it as F.Ledermaus: fucking leather mouse. Because of their leathery wings and their rabies. 

  • Haha 2
  • That's Metal 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Harriet said:

 

I always read it as F.Ledermaus: fucking leather mouse. Because of their leathery wings and their rabies. 

Sounds about right lol.  I prefer my bats on paper.

 

Bonus art!

 

I finally finished my elaborate drawing for the prompt BOX some weeks ago.

20230829_181554.thumb.jpg.a4f1631f7b2ce091bfd3ac08c0d19002.jpg

 

No rowing, no bread.  Patisserie and languages on point.

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

 
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Everstorm said:

 

Bonus art!

 

I finally finished my elaborate drawing for the prompt BOX some weeks ago.

20230829_181554.thumb.jpg.a4f1631f7b2ce091bfd3ac08c0d19002.jpg

 

 

wow, very cool!

  • Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
12 hours ago, Harriet said:

 

wow, very cool!

Thanks!  I'm glad I finally finished it, or at least finished it enough.

 

Boulangerie: Completed with Bonus Bonus!

 

I started another batch of French bread this morning.  It's an all-day affair that I will hopefully complete this evening if the power holds out in the face of (then) Tropical Storm Idalia.  Fingers crossed I at least get my bread baked first 😆 

 

Patisserie: 🍰🍰

I didn't really eat more than patisserie-sized treats yesterday, but I did have too many of them.

 

La TraverSeine 🛶

No rowing today or tomorrow for sure (unless something goes very wrong with the storm 😬).  Hopefully I can go on Friday if the area is suffiently recovered. 

 

Le Louvre 🎨🎨🎨

No new art yet today, but I may rework a previous prompt I never completed to my satisfaction.   New prompt tomorrow.   Also, I have definitely decided I will not attempt Inktober proper in October.  There are too many prompts that are too difficult to encapsulate or that I outright don't want to draw.  And it's too much pressure to create finished works in a single day that I am happy with the quality.  So just no. 

 

I am kind of proud of myself for setting that boundary, because I am inclined to feel obligated to do all the things and then I get frustrated. 

 

Lingua Franca ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ ⚜️ 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

 
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Everstorm said:

Also, I have definitely decided I will not attempt Inktober proper in October.  There are too many prompts that are too difficult to encapsulate or that I outright don't want to draw.  And it's too much pressure to create finished works in a single day that I am happy with the quality.  So just no. 

 

I am kind of proud of myself for setting that boundary, because I am inclined to feel obligated to do all the things and then I get frustrated.

 

This is really impressive! The older I get, the more I think saying no with confidence and without guilt is an essential skill we should be taught in school.

  • Like 3

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi
 
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Everstorm said:

am kind of proud of myself for setting that boundary, because I am inclined to feel obligated to do all the things and then I get frustrated. 

Way To Go Good Job GIF by Justin

  • Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Everstorm said:

La TraverSeine 🛶

No rowing today or tomorrow for sure (unless something goes very wrong with the storm 😬)

😆😆😆😆

  • Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Severine said:

 

This is really impressive! The older I get, the more I think saying no with confidence and without guilt is an essential skill we should be taught in school.

Agreed

 

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Way To Go Good Job GIF by Justin

Thank you 😊 

 

18 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

😆😆😆😆

 

I do jest, of course, but it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.   My family home made the front page with a photo of a boat moored to a tree in the front yard after the historic flooding caused by Hurricane Fran.  And about 5 years ago, we actually witnessed this happen maybe 2 miles from our house post-Hurricane Florence:

We were trying to get into town for supplies, but our house was completely cut off by flooding in every direction (but the house itself stayed dry).  It was 3 days before the water receded enough to leave and a week before power was restored.

 

Granted, both Fran and Flo were much bigger storms which had NOT already expended much of their energy over 3 other states prior to arriving here.  So I really don't expect this one to reach those levels for us. 

 

I also don't rule it out.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

 
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Everstorm said:
31 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

😆😆😆😆

 

I do jest, of course, but it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.   

I figured as much, which was why I thought it was fine to laugh at the jest. 😉 'Twas very funny.

 

2 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

My family home made the front page with a photo of a boat moored to a tree in the front yard after the historic flooding caused by Hurricane Fran.  And about 5 years ago, we actually witnessed this happen maybe 2 miles from our house post-Hurricane Florence:

That's less funny, but I will hope to hear good news when the storm has passed.

  • Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

 

Link to comment

Oh wow, the water. I hope all will be well. And it's fine not to do Intokober and stick to a format you prefer. I could offer weekly prompts if you like. But it would be something like bird, bird, bird, portrait, bird, landscape, bird, bird, lamb witches dancing about a cauldron while boiling a salamander on blue flames in a dark night forest, bird, bird, figure, bird.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
20 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

That's less funny, but I will hope to hear good news when the storm has passed.

There is indeed good news!  Other than a little leaf litter and oversaturated garden beds, we have suffered no ill effects from Idalia's passage.  We didn't even lose power, which is nice.   And the weather today is gloriously cool.  It won't last, of course.  Should be back in the 90s by the weekend 🙄  Still, we are grateful for the reprieve, however brief.

 

13 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oh wow, the water. I hope all will be well. And it's fine not to do Intokober and stick to a format you prefer. I could offer weekly prompts if you like. But it would be something like bird, bird, bird, portrait, bird, landscape, bird, bird, lamb witches dancing about a cauldron while boiling a salamander on blue flames in a dark night forest, bird, bird, figure, bird.

I am still doing the weekly prompts (Inktober52), I just have decided not to additionally do the daily prompts in the month of October (Ink+October = Inktober).  However, I will keep your tempting offer in mind for when this cycle of Inktober52 ends.  But be forewarned I may rebel and draw bird witches around a burning portrait, figure, lamb, lamb.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

 
Link to comment

Ah, the end of challenge already!  How did it go?

 

Boulangerie 

To be fair, I had set the bar rather low on this goal because I wasn't sure how often I would want or need to bake bread.  I have discovered that I highly prefer homemade bread to the store-bought stuff.  However, most of the breads I made were 2-day affairs, so they require a fair bit of proactive planning if I intend to keep this up (and I would like to).

 

Patisserie 

This was less of a success, certainly, but I still think it was a worthy attempt.  I have noticed patterns that made me more vulnerable to the allure of sweets, such as hormones, insufficient sleep, and under-hydration.  I plan to incorporate some techniques to combat these issues next challenge. 

 

La TraverSeine 

Twice a week rows was about right.  I hope to carry this habit forward, and perhaps add a little more exercise during the week, but not at the gym.  It's too far away to go more than twice a week.

 

Le Louvre/Lingua Franca 

These were both established habits before this challenge, I mostly included them to support the theme.  

 

I will not be posting my new challenge during zero week, as I plan to take a week's vacation seaside!  

  • Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

 
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines