[The Most Loathed] Wins & Loses

Thursday

Rec

Elliptical 300 calories

Inclined Treadmill 300 calories

Food

CleanShot2023-08-25at06_25.18@2x.png.b93658ab850ca5b732c2b7e673e902b6.png

I suspect my calories are overstated here. I tend to just put any drinks in as "old fashioned" but I noticed that MFP says "1 cup drink" but most good cocktails are way less than 1 cup. 

We had the book club at a food hall. I just hung out while everyone got food. I did eventually get a cocktail. We sat there and discussed for about 2.5 hours. I was kind of looking forward to heading home with one cocktail in me to make some eggs. However, most of the group wanted to go somewhere else for a drink, led by a friend who I was supposed to give a ride home. I maybe should have called it but I allowed myself to linger. We went to another bar and stayed there for another 2.5 hours. I have done my social duties for work for another month. 

My food for the day was pretty insane. I had my usual eggs for breakfast. I had meat and potatoes for lunch then ate only 3 fried pickles and 1/3 of a a spicy tuna tartar from 1 pm to 9 pm. I had three cocktails in that time (4-9). Since I haven't been drinking much, that felt like a ton of alcohol. 

Looking forward to being back on diet today.

Other

My back is feeling really good for what it is. I didn't need ibuprofen at all yesterday. I'm still using the heating pad when I sit for work. My back can get a tend stiff but the heat seems to immediately relax it. 

• Like 3

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Friday

BJJ

Really tempted to skip instruction just because this is going to be a long post but I'll do a short version. People really struggled with this and I finally put it together late in class. The thing to understand here is that we are starting in Power Sweep position (feet on hips, hand on one ankle and one wrist grip) and we are going to a position where we have swept them and have entered into leg lock territory. We are getting there two different ways.

They clear the hip on the side where you don't have grips

Go to De La Riva. We could do De La Ria sweep but we want single leg X so we use their stance to allow us to take our de la riva into single x, sweep and submit

They clear the hip on the side where you do have the grips

Go to a modified X. the far foot goes under their hamstring, the near foot is above their hip so your knee can drop under, you use your far foot and lapel grip to pul them over you. As they stand you can go to single x and sweep them

Rolls

Ken (blue) - got. a couple subs

Bradley's Brother (white) - got and arm triangle then monkeyed about trying to get and armbar from mount but never finished it

After Class

Manny dominated my time helping him with passing and him goofing off. I'm going to have to give him boundaries on his use of my time. I missed out on good rolls for it.

Food

CleanShot2023-08-27at19_25.54@2x.png.d060e905418197788306feea99cf7540.png

I was surprised to find I had overeaten and it came down to one thing. I know the dinner plan was BLTs because we had a couple lovely tomatoes from our garden. So I built those into the plan. I also knew we were planning to throw together a caprese salad to use what was left of the tomatoes but I failed to put that in the plan. Those 300+ calories are the mozzarella from splitting the caprese. I didn't feel stuffed after a meal that was calculated at 1,500+ calories so I'm dubious that I really dinged that but it's what the app says. 

Body weight 226.8

Saturday

Rec

Elliptical 300 calories

Inclined walk 300 calorie

I watched the last bit of the American Gladiators documentary on Netflix then some live jiujitsu matches 

Food

CleanShot2023-08-27at19_25.22@2x.png.89b32fe143c97886cd194f1cdb7a5cd4.png

I call 33 calories within the margin of error on the day. 

A woman I used to train with had sent me a text last week and we had arranged for the four of us (she and I and spouses) to meet at a brewery. Laura and I don't love breweries and don't really enjoy beer. It just doesn't suit our stomach. We got there and they had a 5mg THC seltzer so I tried that. It was tasty but I could feel the fogginess of the THC as the time wore on. I paced myself out and drank it over an hour and a half or two hours. Satisfied with my decision.

Body weight 226.5

Sunday

BJJ - Akogi

I got my twelve rounds in. I took rounds 1-6 consecutively and 5 and 6 were showing it. I did a warm up round with a blue belt I've seen there before. I learned that has to drive 90 minutes each way to come to this open mat because he lives in a small town on the border but there aren't a lot of better options for him. After our warm up flow round we went for a real round, this was what I counted as round 1. I took two subs off of him. Next was a purple belt who I pulled on sub off of. Then a brown belt who was saying he wasn't warm so I offered a light round but he said no so I tapped him. He did offer som coach on on standup, specifically, when you're fighting for inside grips and you each have matching lapel grips, how to make sure you get the dominant grip. Round four was a big black belt who has always been really helpful with half guard coaching but this time he didn't have any coaching for me. He never quite got the sub and his only comment after was that I didn't let him have what he wanted so he kept having to try other stuff. round five what a white belt I occasionally roll with he got on top right away and did a nice knee cut pass through my half guard which doesn't happen to me a lot. He managed to get a sub. We went again and he got right back on top. I was not happy with my performance there. Round 6 was a big purple belt who I can sometimes tap but at least control top on, he got the tap. At this point I took my first round off.

Taking a break, sipping my electrolyte drink I realized how much I gassed myself out in that 36 minute run of straight rolls. I took a second round off and then got back in there. Now on the backside of my may rolls for the the day I tried to go one on, one off and that gave me a lot more fuel to get through the rest of the time. I don't recall everyone but things went about as expected. A couple purple belts gave me fits but no one else pulled a tap off of me (I don't take on any more brown or black belts in that time).

I did get some time to chat with the professor at Akagi. He has an injury and was complaining that he is competing in in IBJJF worlds this weekend and is annoyed that his hurt. I asked him about the mindset stuff, his answer jived with my way of thinking pretty well. In my own words I'd say he has two or three different mat personas. He has Teach, Student, and Competitor. He's most often a teacher meaning he's giving people rolls that help them try  something. It means he's always open to questions. As a student he can focus on learning something and when it comes to roll time he can selfishly maneuver to what he needs to train. Finally, as competitor, he doesn't answer questions and he's taking all the taps he can regardless of his partner's rank. He has found that if he wants to be a competitor he has to find someone else to teach the classes so he can just show up. He usually has to make an announcement before class to the effect of "for the next couple of weeks I'm preparing for competition so don't pick me to roll if you don't want to go hard. Don't ask me questions during class or rolling. You can ask questions before or after class and once my meet is over I'm free for questions but not right now".

I'm going to try and work with this. 

Also, I went in with two technical things I wanted to work on. There's a take down I'm doing with and under hook and the opposite wrist and working from side control on setting up armbars. I the first half I worked on both. In the second half, if I did, it was by accident. The take down is working but the armbar set up got me swept a couple times. It needs more reps from me. 

Food

CleanShot2023-08-27at19_25.01@2x.png.61b28f4ebc7eff1c3062e785bf756ad0.png

Body weight 227.5

• Like 2

Week Wrap Up

Considering I came into it with an injury couldn't be happier with the week overall. 

Winning

I took a couple days off from BJJ but the back half of the week had me feeling like I was doing great against everyone. Still working on the Competition mindset. Lots of Googling and asking around. 

Losing

CleanShot2023-08-27at20_04.52@2x.png.e135f3a1754ff8f9037d9d071445aa3d.png

No real complaints here. I'm down 3 pounds from a week ago

CleanShot2023-08-27at20_07.12@2x.thumb.png.19cdc4a0df02b25865f98027460396a1.png

Week over week I'm continuing downwards every way I can think of the measure it. I'm starting to feel some diet fatigue. Where I couldn't possible get enough food on Sunday's the first few weeks, I had to stop myself today. The weight is getting low enough that I'm considering dropping to 215 for the meet in 3 weeks. My most likely competitor is at 215 as well. If I go 215 for the meet I will freeze the diet there and try to settle into a stable pattern. If I don't go 215, when I ding 220 I'll do the same. The goal then will be to hols 215-225 as a stable weight until the new year.

Process

Diet

Keep tracking, keep making food so I can easily grab meals that are known quantities. My calories get janky when I deviate, especially going out to eat. 

Training

I missed BJJ on Monday and Tuesday for back recovery. I was really pleasantly surprised to find myself good to go for Wednesday. Friday was good too. I had a couple twinges in round 11 today but nothing debilitating. No strength training all week for me which is a bit of a let down but I was able to go in and do cardio.

Recovery

This was rest and heat this week. Nothing more.

Documentation

Satisfied.

Week Kick Off

Winning

Planning on a week of BJJ. I'm going to take a page from Topper and specifically ask people to see me for hard rolls for the next two weeks. I'm not in teaching mode, I'm in hard training mode.

Losing

Stick to the plan. I don't know what my Monday morning weight will be but assume 227ish. If that's the case then I should wrap the week around 224-225.

Process

Diet -  see above

Training

Still no strength planned. At this point I will table the weights until post meet. BJJ, cardio for the week.

Recovery

Given that I have a couple hours back from not strength training, I'm going to try to cash some of those in with stretching and foam rolling. 

Documentation - nothing to add

• Like 3

Monday

BJJ

I worked with Xavier today. He and I both like each other but we have a huge weight and strength disparity so we don't often roll. To make it any fun I have to really pull back on my strength and how much weight I apply. There are times that I could for a grip or prevent him from something by sheer brute force and I have to let those go. It's good to train that way but I have to remain conscious of it.

Warm up - Collar tie throw by. They grab the back of your neck, you push the arm past your face then do a double leg takedown. I find these collar ties to not be really effective in a live situation but they are good to just harass the other person's grip

Advanced - sweeps from single leg X where the have taken a knee. 

From Single X your opponent drops to the knee you don't have tied up to prevent a sweep. 

Use your inside leg to push the other knee out . You can attempt to sweep her by twisting your hips away from the leg you pushed on. If they stand tall to avoid going down you can use the technique we learned last class to hook behind their leg and pull them forward to make them post forward (or fall over). With their hands on the ground they usually try to stand up again so you sweep them backwards.

Alternately (xavier and I found this works best if they are really heavy on the knee they put down)  you can pull in your outside leg to rest their thigh on your shin. Move your inside leg so that the base of your foot is on their thigh, so their thigh is trapped between the top of one foot and the bottom of the other. You can do a lot of things here but what we worked on is pulling the top person over our body and then sweeping them. One thing we worked on a fair bit was that it's not intuitive on where to sweep them too. What the top person is doing with their legs has a huge impact on where they will fall. I found when I loaded Xavier really high I could sweep him straight back because his legs were turned to the side by how I was loading him. If I didn't load him as high his legs tended to trail behind him and trying to sweep there would just stand him up, I had to go to the side. Not a movement that I feel comfortable with yet.  

Beginner - arm bars. The gist was, your in side control, top and they roll in which extending their arms past you. You trap their arm between your arm and body and move towards the head. The first technique involved locking up a kimura early and keeping it to get to the armbar, the second involved missing the kimura but using your weight to drive their chest over from behind to get the lock there. I found myself not agreeing with the instruction being given and trying to shut down that part of my brain. Maybe that part of my brain is correct but also, maybe, if I could quiet it I would learn a new technique to add into my arsenal. 

Rolls

Xavier (blue) - As mentioned above, I had to stay conscious of how much force I was using but I think we had a decent roll

Reed (white) - Reed always comes looking for me a roll when he's in class. When I started BJJ he could beat me but he doesn't come often so I've advanced past him. He's a bigger guy though and he doesn't mind taking a little abuse so I mowed through him three times. 

Xavier (blue) - We got assigned to go back to our first partner and Chris tried to set up a "game"* but the me stated the rules differently three times so we had no idea what was "win" and what was "lose". so we just drilled until he asked if who had won and we said we have no idea so he said we "lost". dunno, whatever.

* in BJJ there's a big conversation about the Ecological Learning Model. I've listened to some podcasts, I know some advocates on the internet, and I read one book on the topic and I'm not blown away by the concept. The premise behind everything I've read is that people are taught to do things by being given a perfect and canonical version of the movement and then people try to force them to replicate that exact movement. I object to this premise. I don't think this is how people teach movement. The solution offered by the Ecological Learning Model is to not teach specific movements but to set up games. In BJJ this often looks like putting someone in another person's guard and saying the first person needs to pass and the second person is not allowed to sweep or use their hands. This handicaps the second person to give the first person some reps to find their own solution to passing where they will win eventually and get some reps in. Then we may say the bottom person still can't sweep but can use their hands. Then we may say they can do anything but have to go at half speed. To my mind it's the bridge from the step wise learning that we do to rolling. I do think these games are helpful but I don't think they are new in anyway and it seems like a lot of people are trying too hard when coming up with them. As was the case with Chris's example. 

After Class

Joe (blue) - We got a good, competitive roll in. I went for a guillotine but it sucked and he did a good job of passing to the side. I managed to get back out on top, I forget how. I took his back and we tussled around there until he was escaping so I took mount and started to work on his arm for an arm triangle but he got a great kipping escape, which I know he has been working on and it worked. I managed to get a hold of him again and got back on top until the time expired. 

Josh (purple) - I gave up a disappointing sub here. Josh wanted to start from kneeling. I usually don't like to "knee wrestle" so I took a guard position. He took a good lounge into my guard. I kept his foot in my half guard but he did a great job pinning my shoulder so I struggled to make any head way on him. This has really been our battle of late, whoever gets on top tends to hold it and he has gotten good enough at applying his weight to make it hard for me to recover from below. He was trying a couple different submissions and I was keeping him away but I realized I need to bump him over my head but as I tried I could feel my back twinging I couldn't get enough force mustered to move him. He got a crappy arm triangle locked up and I rode it out for a while but couldn't get enough force to get free. Eventually he slipped high enough to no longer be a strangle but an accidental smoother but it got him the eventual tap.

Food

I felt like I was eating pretty much all afternoon but I also felt like I could always eat more. 

CleanShot2023-08-29at07_08.27@2x.png.b82ec909d5ced881b8566c6dda374131.png

Body weight 226.5

Other

As of now I officially have no credit card debt. I would generally consider myself average or just above average on managing my money but when Laura and I got divorced we both spent a couple years making poor choices and paying for them with debt. Just before we started dating again I settled down and tried being an adult again and realized how much I had racked up. Of course, with debt, it doesn't go away just because you shape up. It's like the weight loss. Eating to not gain is not enough to be the body weight I want, I have to eat to lost before I eat to maintain. Well, I had to money manage a surplus to pay off over spending for a couple years. Add to that the expense of a pandemic purchase of a house and necessary improvements as well as being the larger income earner so attempting to take on a proportionate amount of two peoples' bills and there are days that it's hard to undo what is done.

Over the weekend I was able to put an end to the high interest, revolving debt of my two credit cards. I'm not debt free, however. I have a mortgage, a car loan, a loan for the deck, and a loan for the windows. These are, however much lower interest. My home loan is effectively my rent. I doubt it'll ever be fully paid off and the rate it low enough that I'm better off not paying it off and just using the money to invest. My car loan is similar at less than 5%. I could have paid it off over the weekend but the money would literally be more useful in almost any investment. I've got a few more years on that loan but I'm in no rush to get a new car either. The deck and windows were on my radar to pay off but I didn't have enough surplus for either. When annual bonuses come in, if I get the usual I'll likely pay off the deck and then the windows next year. 

I'm trying to remind us both on a regular basis that if we can avoid any optional improvements for a couple years we can both be debt free except for house and car which also frees up over $1,000 a month to put towards things without debt. Then we'll feel like we are on easy street. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Well done finishing the credit card debt.

Thank you. It feels like a good milestone.

Tuesday

Rec

Elliptical 300 calories

Treadmill 300 calories

I realized after I got part way through that I could have still done some lifting if I just stuck to machines. I'm not going to worry about it right now but post meet, if/when I'm hurt again, that'll be the plan. 

BJJ

Marathon roll

We did the groups of three thing and I got assigned to Arthur (blue) and Adam (white). The try-hard part of my brain looked over at Gavin (blue) and Dan (brown) and thought "I should be with them" but my back was bugging me so the more conservative part of my brain weighed in and said "take an easy night, it's ok, you need to heal up". So it was an easy night for me. We went through a bunch of positional stuff. There wasn't a position that I wasn't the most comfortable in out of the three of us. When we were doing single leg X I was the only one comfortable in it. At a certain point I just had the start in closed guard because it was a waste of their time to make two people who can't even enter into X try to fight from there.

Eventually we transitions to the whole room to top-bottom-out which was nice to switch up the partners. For the most part I dominated my battles. I have learned to win open guard fights from the bottom by attacking. People expect you to sit on your butt and attempt to defend them coming to you but I find that I do better by moving in and snapping out my limbs to get a grip on them and pull them into me. People who are really good at guard play probably have a different approach but I'm big and strong and would rather get my hands on you than let you dance around me and have to react. The two best battles I had were both me passing someone's guard. Gavin (blue) remains the only blue belt who is at risk of actually getting on top and submitting me despite the fact that he never trains. He's just a farm boy who grew up with brothers and has good instincts. We had a good battle as I attempted to pass him and he cam out on top. Mislael (blue) also has been working his guard retention. I've got 50-60 pounds on the guy but he did a great job at constantly changing out his frames between us. If I recall, I eventually got through but I had to basically find a way to get between his arms and legs and then rely on my weight to finish the pass. If I were his size, I'd still be trying. 

An easy but fun training session.

After Class

Good roll with Joe. I came out thinking I was winning but now that I think about it, he may have won on points. We started standing and I couldn't get him to push back for a throw the moment he finally gave me resistance he didn't hesitate so he got the take down (2 points). He moved to side immediately (pass for 3, 5 total). I went to sweep him and he made the correct adjustments to get mount (4 points, 9 total). I, however, got his leg, worked to half to get the sweep (2 points, 2 to 9). I think I fought from side for a bit but I don't think I get 2 for a pass. I moved to mount(4 points, 6 to 9) but failed to secure the submission. One way to rack up points is to dismount, transition to the other side then remount but I don't think I did that. So, in retrospect, I think Joe would have won that match 9 to 6 because I would not necessarily get passing points. 

Food

CleanShot2023-08-30at06_07.17@2x.png.cca7d13eb9aed912ee345dc711aa6d8e.png

I could have laid off the calories more but it honestly felt good to kind of stuff myself for a day. It was still decent quality food in my opinion but after having a few days over the last couple weeks where I felt hungry, I leaned into eating. Just getting a little more emotional capital to get through the next week of this diet. 

Bodyweight 226.2

• Like 2

Wednesday

BJJ

It was a really light class. We had a black belt instructor, Stan, and one blue belt with one more stripe than me, Shane. However, I was the next most senior belt there. We broke to find partners and every blue belt pointedly moved away. Fortunately Reed, a white belt I get along with, came jogging down the line and waving at me to be my partner. Honestly there was a brief moment of WTF as everyone stepped away and I was grateful to Reed.

Stand up warm up

Your partner takes a collar tie you turn to push it past your face then drop and take their leg.

Instruction

I didn't get the armbar portion down, only the intermediate.

From single leg X, use your inside leg to push their far knee out to spread out their base. They drop to their knee avoid the sweep. You can flip their near leg up on to the outside of your upper arm by holding the end of the pant leg. You can then elevate the leg you are holding to tip them over

Alternately, if they push your near leg off of their hip you can go to K guard (near foot on near hip, knee down near their knee, far foot on their far femur). The sweep either comes from pushing the femur away or, if they sit back, you hook their far leg with your far foot and push with your near leg to tip them. 

Rolling

• Reed (white) - we started with me in single leg X. I don't recall exactly how I swept, I think Reed cleared one for because to my memory I went to our second position and tried to pull him forward like we were taught but he sat back so I switched to hook his leg and knock him back. I moved to mount and set up and arm triangle. The first attempt at an arm triangle was stopped because he had moved his arm further across. I had to let him up a bit to ge the arm free and even spin all the way around his body to reposition it but got the strangle locked up. The second round I used some traditional X on him to get the down but didn't have time for a second strangle. 
  • Xaviar (blue) - we started with Xaviar down, me in his single X. I forget how but I passed. Because of the size difference I didn't want to just smash so it gave me good practice in training control on someone where I couldn't smash. 
  • Stan (black) - We started in his X, he got the sweep but I made a good game of it. The only moment I specifically recall is having him in half guard and he back stepped to look for the knee bar but I protected myself by switching my legs, which is only good for a second or two but I also used that moment to lock up a shoulder crunch on him and he said "huh. Do you always do this"? I replied that I did then rotated on top. We switched positions a couple more times then time ran out. 
  • One More - I recall that there was one more round but I don't recall who it would have been. It was only three minutes.

After Class

I hung around for a few minutes and think I ended up showing something to a white belt. 

Food

CleanShot2023-08-31at13_09_16.png.9cd98d9661e069d47c59f91577f1d74d.png

I overate a bit simply because Laura grabbed some peanut clusters at the grocery store check out line and I snacked on several thoughtlessly and didn't account for them until the end of the day, when I had already eaten my calories. I'm finding it a little harder to stick to the good stuff. A few more weeks and I'm done losing. Then I start trying to do maintenance which will be a new adventure but I'm looking forward to the extra eating. 

Body weight 225.7

Other

Today (Thursday) I ordered a Whoop strap. I'e decided that I try to move into maintenance on my diet I need a more precise and accurate read on my calories. Right now I just tell MyFitnessPal I want to lose a pound per week then try to undershoot whatever number they tell me. I could try to keep that philosophy going into maintenance but I think it's going to be a bit more wobbly than I want. So I decided to finally actually figure out what my calorie expenditure is each day. I looked at a bunch of options but one of my constraints was, I need to be able to wear the tracker, at least a few times, for rolls, to get a sense of what I really burn on a Sunday at Akogi or Tuesday night at Marathon Roll. This means no watches. Also, I'm not a big fan of wearing a watch. 

I looked at everything I could thing of and ruled out a few like fitbit because that was their only form factor. I opted for the Whoop because I could get a sleeve to wear it in. They also have some compression shorts I may try down the line where the device fits in the waistband. We'll see how enamored I am in a few months

• Like 2

Thursday

Rec Time

Elliptical 300 calories

Inclined walk 300 calories

Messed around on the rower for a bit but was mentally done with cardio so I took off

I'll talk about this down in food a bit more but I'm not sure I'm going to do much more of the double cardio.

Food

CleanShot2023-09-01at07_27.07@2x.png.b06d2c9684fc428340a176dbc6ffc1e4.png

Another tough one hunger-wise. I'm going to chalk it up to two factors. First, I think when I do 600 calories of straight cardio just makes me tired and hungry to very little benefit. Some cardio is, of course, just good for the body even ignoring calorie balance conversations. However, to my knowledge, the threshold of diminishing returns fairly early. In the calorie balance conversation, cardio gives me more calories to eat and stay in balance but the body also fights back by making me more hungry. So, if I can eat less than I burned through cardio, I can push the equation towards a negative but if I'm feeling totally famished while doing this and not creating a bigger deficit, it's probably not worth it. 

Second, I think I made a poor eating choice. I got home from the gym and didn't eat my standard lunch but instead ate a bigger lunch, finishing off some beef patties I had in the fridge. This plus and afternoon doctor visit around my usual meal time meant that I didn't eat an afternoon meal and I think this compounded the hunger problem. Eating a little more, earlier, did not translate to greater satiety longer. I think I would have been better to go with my standard lunch and standard later meal. Both would probably feel a little in adequate but I think the net feeling would have been more positive. 

Something to remember in these last few weeks. 

Body Weight 226.0

A slight bounce up from the day before but well within tolerance

• Like 2