WhiteGhost's Random Encounters

On 8/1/2023 at 12:47 PM, Severine said:

Wishing Ghostlet a quick and full recovery  ❤️ 

Thanks, he seems to be pretty much over it now

On 8/1/2023 at 8:04 PM, shaar said:

Ughhhh no time for fevers!! Hoping he is feeling better today :)

Feeling much better now

----------------------------------

Today I went to the park for a workout but when I got there it was closed because of the recent storms.  I came back and did my workout on the exercise equipment in our yard.  While I was doing that, a young girl (3rd grade) came over and started chatting with me while her dad was nearby on what I suspect was some kind of work related call.  While we were chatting, she asked me if I was, in fact, a foreigner.  For some reason I have been getting this question from kids a lot recently, so as usual I asked her what she thought and why.  Normally the kids will guess I am a foreigner because I don't look Chinese.  Today, however, I got a new answer that really made my day.  The little girl thought about my question for a while and then said:

"I think you are a foreigner because your accent sounds a little off" :) :) :) 

• Like 11
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I had a weird interaction yesterday at the park.

I was there working out together with a bunch of other regulars when some middle school kids show with a coach.  The kids were there to learn pullups because it is part of the PE curriculum and they were pretty far from being able to do any.  At one point, my friend leans over to me and points out one of the kids.  He then says "You see that fat kid?  His nipples are huge!  They must be like 1.5 cm long.  We really need to get Xi Jing Ping under control or this whole country is going be ruined."  I am kind of curious what the heck was going through his mind, but I just couldn't figure out where to start for getting clarification so listened in confusion for a bit and then went back to my workout.

Speaking of my workout, I was finally able to link several hip circles together and finally understood what @raptron was talking about when she mentioned the fear of getting stuck in hip circles and not being able to stop :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

15 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

He then says "You see that fat kid?  His nipples are huge!  They must be like 1.5 cm long.  We really need to get Xi Jing Ping under control or this whole country is going be ruined."  I am kind of curious what the heck was going through his mind, but I just couldn't figure out where to start for getting clarification so listened in confusion for a bit and then went back to my workout.

I am glad you are also confused because what the heck! That is such a weird concern to have. I googled Xi Jin Ping and I am now doubly curious as to why your friend considers the president of China to be the problem with a kid's nipples.... 🙃

People are strange. 

• Haha 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

I really can't think of any reply to that long nippled president tale.  Huh.  That one may take the cake!!!

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

On 8/4/2023 at 2:35 PM, Rhovaniel said:

I am glad you are also confused because what the heck! That is such a weird concern to have. I googled Xi Jin Ping and I am now doubly curious as to why your friend considers the president of China to be the problem with a kid's nipples.... 🙃

People are strange. 

It probably would have helped had I spelled his name right...

But yeah, people are definitely weird :D 

10 hours ago, shaar said:

I really can't think of any reply to that long nippled president tale.  Huh.  That one may take the cake!!!

I was literally dumbfounded and also had no response :D 

----------------------------------------

No random interactions for the last few days because I have been super sick.  I just took a test this morning and apparently I am covid positive.  So that would explain how terrible I have been feeling :( 

In other news, Ghostess was supposed to come back from her weekend excursion (went to a friend's wedding) but apparently the earthquake knocked out the high speed rail lines so was stranded.  Luckily she was able to find a flight this morning, so I am off to the airport to pick her up

• Sad 5

Level 2 Ninja

Hope you're getting plenty of rest and feeling better soon 

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

On 8/6/2023 at 6:01 PM, WhiteGhost said:

No random interactions for the last few days because I have been super sick.  I just took a test this morning and apparently I am covid positive.  So that would explain how terrible I have been feeling :( 

Feel better soon!

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

That nipple tale can't leave my mind. I guess I will never erase it from my brain. Just when you think you already encountered so much weirdness nothing can beat that, something even weirder happens, right? 

Damn, I am so glad all that pointing, judging and random eldery wanting to talk to me in the park is over! It was so tiring after all those years... 

Wish you fast recovery! 

• Like 1

Veni, vidi, vici. 

On 8/4/2023 at 2:14 AM, WhiteGhost said:

He then says

and that's the reason people don't go to the gym when they know they should.  I've learned over the years to not give a shit but there are plenty of fat people who know and *feel* those thoughts are around.

---

Hope you're feeling better soon.  Kick covid's ass.

• Like 2
On 8/7/2023 at 8:21 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Heal soon.

+

On 8/8/2023 at 9:08 PM, Rhovaniel said:

Hope you're getting plenty of rest and feeling better soon 

+

On 8/11/2023 at 8:58 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Feel better soon!

Thanks guys, I am pretty much over it now

On 8/12/2023 at 3:46 PM, XBlackWidowX said:

That nipple tale can't leave my mind. I guess I will never erase it from my brain. Just when you think you already encountered so much weirdness nothing can beat that, something even weirder happens, right? 

Something weirder is always coming...

On 8/12/2023 at 3:46 PM, XBlackWidowX said:

Damn, I am so glad all that pointing, judging and random eldery wanting to talk to me in the park is over! It was so tiring after all those years...

I will need to go find your update, I was wondering how things have been for you recently

14 hours ago, Teros said:

and that's the reason people don't go to the gym when they know they should.  I've learned over the years to not give a shit but there are plenty of fat people who know and *feel* those thoughts are around.

To be fair, it isn't just fat people who get whispered comments behind their backs.  A lot of times the comments are just imagined, but they are real often enough to make life uncomfortable for anyone subjected to them.

------------------------------------

I have barely left the house for the last week and my time has been pretty evenly split between watching youtube updates about Ukraine and playing Skyrim.  The only random interaction I had was when I went downstairs to throw out the trash on Saturday.  On the way back in, a young couple got in the elevator with me and it turn out they were coming up to visit my neighbor.  I was grumpy and uncomfortable so I don't recall the exact conversation, but at one point the young woman asks me if I speak Chinese and I think I just nodded or said a one word yes or something.  Just as we were getting out I must have said something else because she turns to the young man and whispers excitedly "He really DOES speak Chinese!"

Did she think I was lying about it?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Level 2 Ninja

On 8/14/2023 at 3:21 PM, XBlackWidowX said:

For some of them it's unimaginable a foreigner can speak Chinese xD 

Yeah, it just doesn't seem to mesh with their version of reality

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I made it to the park for the first time a couple of weeks.  It was hard to get back into the groove of things and all exercises seemed to take more effort than usual.

I did have a weird interaction there.  A few months ago, some guy came by who apparently used to work for the Chinese foreign service (Diplomatic services) and he thought his English was pretty good.  He comes up to me and starts the English small talk, which was essentially entry level stuff (where you from?  how long you come here?  etc)  Eventually I just told him to speak with me in Chinese because it was easier for everyone but he wasn't having it.  He then just started spouting off random things trying to impress the others around with his English "expertise"    The ones he kept saying the most were "Ai Ke Sai Se" and "Si Tang"  which are bastardized versions of "Exercise" and "Strong" but for some reason I hard time understanding what he was saying.  He then tried telling the others there that MY English was bad because I had trouble understanding him.  :D 

Anyway, this guy comes by again yesterday and starts telling people that I have a bad attitude and that my language skill are really pretty bad.  The regulars are all rolling their eyes at this, so he decides to step things up.  He comes over and says "OK, quiz time.  How do you say 韭菜盒子 in English?" 

these things: 

image.jpeg

I admit, I was stumped because I'm pretty sure those things don't have an actual English name so I just told him I didn't know.  He got a huge smile on his face that he had shown me up and triumphantly told me that they are called "Fried Dumplings"  OK old man, you sure showed me I guess :D  

• Haha 3

Level 2 Ninja

Anther quick update because I want to make sure I get these out before I forget them.  I was at the park tonight and it was quite crowded there, which always means plenty of random interactions.  Today did not disappoint...

First story is about some random guy who was gthere for the first time working out.  He was really impressed with the stuff I was doing and kept telling me so.  He wasn't being weird about it so I interacted with him normally for a while.  At one point he asks me if I had previously trained as a gymnast and I told him that I mostly just learned this stuff on my own.  At that point I guess he figured he knew more than me, because he suddenly started critiquing everything I did with things like "that handstand is good, but you need to hold it longer" or " you should try doing thoseplanche things one handed, because THAT would be more impressive".   It got to the point where I had to tell him that if he wanted to critique my skills he had to demonstrate how to do it himself.  I figured that would shut him up but that is where the conversation turned from weird to truly bizarre

He comes over after a few minutes and asks me if I live here in China or if I am just visiting.  I told him to think about it and take his best guess and he replies "hmm, I think you must live here because your Chinese is so good.  I would say you must have been here at least a couple of months"  I reply that I have been here a while, at least several months.  After thinking about this for a little longer he says "wait.  You have to have been here longer than a few months, only some kind of impossible level genius could learn Chinese that well in just a few months".   I tell him that I didn't specify exactly how many months, and if fact I have been here more than 100 months.  He looks at me like I'm some kind of idiot and says "come on, who are you kidding?  You are old enough to have been here that long."  I then admit that I misspoke.  I have actually been here more than 200 months and as he was doing the math in his head, some of the regulars come over and back up my story.  Because for some reason he felt like he had to get in the last word, as he is walking away he says "months, you should have said it in weeks.  Weeks I would have understood immediately!" :D :D :D 

The second story from tonight is kind of sad

There were a bunch of kids there following around an older kid, probably 10 years old or so.  I can hear them discussing me because they are probably no more than 10ft away and they weren't exactly whispering.  I can hear them discussing whether or not they should try speaking English to me and the oldest ki says "I can teach you some English to say, you can try phrases such 'China Number 1' or 'China  never gives up‘.  Before he has a chance to try out his patriotic slogans, some other guy comes over and starts talking to me at which point they realize that I can speak Chinese.  At this point the kid comes over and starts talking to me in Chinese.  He first asks me which country I am from and then says it is a good thing I am not Russian.  He then goes on to tell me that in Chinese they have a slur for Russians and then proceeds to tell me what it is.  He then proceeds to tell me that in fact they have slurs for pretty much every country, but they save the worst for Japan.  He finishes up his monologue by saying that if someone dared say they were a Japanese citizen in China, the Chinese people would beat them up...  I suspect if this kid lived in Russia he would have a Z tattooed on his forehead

He wasn't done, though.  He then proceeded to ask me which country I thought was better, China or the US.  I asked him to specify what he meant by 'better' and he said "which country's citizens can have a better life?"  Asking for further clarification on how he defined 'better' he finally cut to the chase.  He said "Which country is going to have less guns?  In China you aren't going to see guns everywhere because we have real laws and people follow them.  In the US you see guns everywhere and nobody can do anything about it.  Even the police cant enforce the laws" 

It seems someone is allowed to stay up past bedtime watching all the hardcore propaganda shows...

• Like 2
  • Wow 3

Level 2 Ninja

26 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

At that point I guess he figured he knew more than me, because he suddenly started critiquing everything I did with things like "that handstand is good, but you need to hold it longer" or " you should try doing those planche things one handed, because THAT would be more impressive". 

It's good to know that gym-bros exist everywhere. 

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

10 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

And they mansplain to everyone!

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

On 8/16/2023 at 10:16 PM, The Most Loathed said:

Are are equally annoying no matter where they are

On 8/17/2023 at 2:09 AM, XBlackWidowX said:

The quota of idiots you met recently is really impressive. Actually I feel sorry for you, if it happened to me I would feel pretty annoyed by such people. But at least you have some tales to tell us xD 

I tend to average 1 for each time I leave the house...

On 8/17/2023 at 8:58 AM, Scaly Freak said:

And they mansplain to everyone!

Is it still mansplaining when a man explains the obvious to another man?

---------------------------------------

Life has been pretty crazy recently.  Almost a week ago I dropped Ghostlet off for his compulsory 2 week military training and was looking forward to a couple of weeks with no kids around.  Unfortunately, the day after sending Ghostlet off, Ghostess comes down with her first case of Covid.  It is kind of amazing that she has been able to keep from getting after 3 years and multiple infections in our own home, but here we are.  On top of this, it has been super sever for her.  2 days ago we had to break out the oxygen machine because she was having trouble breathing and then yesterday I had to take her to the hospital.

Luckily she was fine after a bit and didn't need to stay at the hospital for more than a few hours.  Today she is doing much better.

Challenge goals and whatnot have been a mess.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 4

Level 2 Ninja

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Is it still mansplaining when a man explains the obvious to another man?

A technical distinction only. It just means the person is an equal opportunity patronizer, like that scene in Full Metal Jacket where Gunny Hartman says he's not racist cause he hates everyone equally. 

So sorry about Ghostess. I hope she's better soon.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm sorry to hear Ghostess has been hit so hard. I hope it passes soon and there's no lingering nasty effects. 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

A technical distinction only. It just means the person is an equal opportunity patronizer

Exactly.

Adding  my voice to the well-wishes for Ghostess. I hope she recovers soon, and fully, and that the hospital trip was a one-time event. 

• Like 2

On 8/24/2023 at 7:17 PM, The Most Loathed said:

Bummer. Good luck wading through the messes that life throws at us.

Thanks, I think we are through the worst of it

On 8/24/2023 at 8:12 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

A technical distinction only. It just means the person is an equal opportunity patronizer, like that scene in Full Metal Jacket where Gunny Hartman says he's not racist cause he hates everyone equally.

Haha, makes perfect sense to me

On 8/24/2023 at 8:12 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

So sorry about Ghostess. I hope she's better soon.

+

On 8/24/2023 at 11:54 PM, Sovalis said:

I'm sorry to hear Ghostess has been hit so hard. I hope it passes soon and there's no lingering nasty effects. 

+

On 8/25/2023 at 7:43 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Adding  my voice to the well-wishes for Ghostess. I hope she recovers soon, and fully, and that the hospital trip was a one-time event. 

She is feeling much better and has been testing negative since yesterday.  It looks like we have made it through

---------------------------------------

A lot has been going on recently.  We had the whole thing with Ghostess which threw a wrench in our gears for a bit but thankfully nothing too serious.  Ghostlet was a few days out from finishing his military training when we got a message from his teacher that he had been selected for for the Special Operations Group, which gets some different training from the rest of the trainees.  We were super proud of him.

2 days later, we get a message from his teacher that he is running a fever and needs to come home early (missing the last day and a half of training).  I rush up to the base to pick him up, expecting him to be super disappointed about missing out on the Spec Ops training.  It turns out that the "Special Operations" group was a fancy name for the guys who march in the front carrying weapons for the graduation PIR*.   He was not even a little disappointed about missing out on that and was kind of glad he didn't have to spend another full day rehearsing for the PIR.  Even though he had a fever, he didn't really have any other symptoms, and seems to be doing much better today.

* PIR means Pass in Review, and is, I think, an immutable law of all military training that the graduates of any training program must march in formation in front of the commanding officer in a big parade.   It also turns out that the "Selection Process" consisted of asking for volunteers and taking whomever was interested.

I made it to the park a couple of time in the last week.  I strangely didn't have any noteworthy interactions today but on Saturday I had a weird interaction.  A little background first:

A year or so ago I decided I wanted to start learning a parallel bars routine and there are a couple of guys at the park who are pretty good.  I asked them for help and they have been teaching me and helping me to come up with a routine.  One of them is 72 year old former special forces commander and the other is a 92 year old former national level gymnast.  Both are great guys and I have learned a lot from them.  On Saturday the 3 of us were at the parallel bars training together when some lady comes by and starts filming us.  Afterward she asks us the normal questions and is shocked to learn our ages.  She sends the videos to her son who apparently did not believe her and accused her of lying?!?!  Not sure what the family dynamic is there but whatever.  So she comes over and asks if we will, for the record, state on video for her son's benefit that we are in fact the people in the video and that the ages we gave are in fact our actual ages.  

In this city of 30 million people, you are going to get some weird ones :D 

• Like 4

Level 2 Ninja