Sepherina’s Summer of Here and Now

24 minutes ago, Sepherina said:

Minion #2 and the hubs started butting heads immediately during dinner and I opted to eat out on the deck rather than listen to their bickering.  Minion #2 is at the age where they know everything (18 year old) and the hubs continues to try and “tell them otherwise”.  It’s obnoxious on both sides. IMO, the hubs needs to just not engage and recognize that in many ways they are similar in personality and that maybe this is a phase/stage in life most young adults go through. 

I don't have kids but most of my peers do and I'm the right age that if they aren't teens now they either soon will be or recently have been. From the outside  it's really interesting to see my, primarily male, peers do the exact same pig headed stuff our parents did and we hated too. Things like "telling them otherwise" is right in that wheelhouse. We all have those times where our rational brains shut down and we do the dumb but even as they recount the story to me of how they threatened their teen with grounding if they don't get straight A's or some other dumb thing I can see the self righteousness in them. It's weird because I can't get in their head and they obviously can't get in mine on this topic. 
I totally feel you and would be taking many meals from the deck if I had this in my house. 

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

59 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

I don't have kids but most of my peers do and I'm the right age that if they aren't teens now they either soon will be or recently have been. From the outside  it's really interesting to see my, primarily male, peers do the exact same pig headed stuff our parents did and we hated too. Things like "telling them otherwise" is right in that wheelhouse. We all have those times where our rational brains shut down and we do the dumb but even as they recount the story to me of how they threatened their teen with grounding if they don't get straight A's or some other dumb thing I can see the self righteousness in them. It's weird because I can't get in their head and they obviously can't get in mine on this topic. 
I totally feel you and would be taking many meals from the deck if I had this in my house. 

OMG YES!  All of this. And both wonder why mom/wife just walks away from both of them.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Roams Among the Trees

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Just got home after attending an open pet adoption where we put in an application for a dog.  We put down 4 names cause, well one we could decide and two….we may not get any of them.  We have been promising the minions a dog for awhile and we finally feel we are in a place to give one a very comfortable life.  Crossing fingers. Any of the ones we picked are good choices.  If I had my way they would all come home with me, but let’s be realistic….for now just one.

On another note, we ordered food from our favorite vegan place not to far from the adoption event. Ordered their Chili Relleno and it is sooo good.  Not traditional really (it has mac and cheese in it) but incredibly good.  

• Like 2

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Contemplating how to spend my time today.  The hubs is working all day  today and will take the car so I am stuck at home (our other car is in the shop).  There are a lot of things I should  do, but let’s be honest…I don’t want to do them. I spent most of the week “doing” stuff around the house and at work.  The house is mostly clean, so anything else would just be me nitpicking certain areas.  

Things I should  do:

• The room that minion #1 and #3 shared is a hot mess.  I have been mom nagging them for a while to get it together but neither of them seems to be motivated enough to do anything long term.  Now that minion #1 is mostly moved out, maybe a mom level intervention is needed to just get it done.  
  • The hill in front of our house needs to have the weeds pulled before the city sends me a warning letter. The hill is somewhat covered with ivy, but the weeds find their way in.  Weed whacking is the faster option but usually means that it will need to be done again in a few weeks….pulling them is a better long term strategy. Wonder if I can bribe/pay minion #2 to do this?
  • Take out one or more of the bushes around the house.  Everything is evergreen…I hate it.  There is no pops of color.  But I also need to decide what to put in after the bushes are dead/gone so the weeds don’t take over.

Things I want to do:

• Start some fall seeds
  • Read a book
  • Play Tears of the Kingdom
  • Maybe some D&D prep
  • Take a long walk and/or exercise
  • Decide what to put in after bushes are out (landscaping)

I may chose to tackle one or more of these from each category.  I have no clue yet.

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Opted to “mom” clean the girls’ room.  Got it about half done. We have several boxes/bags of decent things that can be donated, and a small box of some consignment quality items to sell.   Outside of some general garbage and some very beat up tennis shoes (not salvageable- soles gone/holes in places), we really did’t throw much away!  I consider that a win and for now I am satisfied with most of the room.  Minion #3 can finish up the rest since it is mostly her things.

After spending most of the morning cleaning the room, Minion #2 and I opted to walk for some lunch.  There is a local wing place that is fairly good so we had that.  I then came back and took a nap.  After which, I then folded the many loads of laundry that came out of said room, sorted it into its designated destination and then cooked dinner. Dinner was a homemade pizza and leftover wings from lunch. For the pizza, I had a half jar of spaghetti sauce from the pasta earlier this week that I used up so we didn’t throw it out. I layered it with sauce, pepperoni, cheese and then found I still had stuff left.  So I made a second layer.  Pizza cooked up nicely and was pretty good.

Today the plan is to do the weekly fridge clean (throw out things that have expired, wipe the shelves, double check grocery list for stuff I have/don’t have), go to the grocery store and then do some meal prep for the week. I have decided for the next challenge to really focus on how we eat in our home so I am trying to kickstart some habits that have languished with our very busy summer.   We are going to make some homemade breakfast burritos and some turkey meatballs.  I think dinner tonight will be Salisbury steak with gravy, noodles, corn and some rolls. 

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Spent most of Sunday getting ready for the new week and puppy proofing our home. We have a meet and greet with this little lady this coming Sunday.  If all goes well, she will be coming home with us.  Her name is Cinnamon.  We did see her at the open adoption this past Friday and we know she is a happy and playful little girl.  I may have also spent an excessive amount of time yesterday window shopping for supplies.  She will be our first family dog.  While the hubs and I had pets growing up and we have long term dog sat for ill family members, we have never had a fur baby of our own.  Trying very hard to not spend all my money on the cutest things (should just buy the basics) and be mindful that if she comes home with us I will have plenty of time to spoil her. To say the whole family is excited is an understatement.

This week’s work calendar is such a breath of fresh air compared to last week’s.  Just some recurring project meetings, but nothing else so far.  This actually makes me happy since I am trying to get back into the rhythm of a good schedule after a hectic summer and the short bout with covid.  I will be aiming for lunch time walks and there will be gym sessions this week as I actually sound and feel well. This is more like a deload week before we insert a bit of chaos (puppy) into our lives.

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Cinnamon is gorgeous! Congratulations!!

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Cinnamon is gorgeous! Congratulations!!

She sure is!  We may change her name as she has only been called Cinnamon for a few weeks and she is still little. But figured we would wait until she is in our home and we get a feel for her personality before committing to the change.

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Good morning where ever you may be today.

Yesterday was a nice day.  Work was incredibly quiet, which allowed me to get through some more puppy proofing in the house. I know we will never be 100% done.  Also my pile of stuff to donate is growing.  Who knew kids were just horders (even teenagers).  Dinner was grilled chicken salads with homemade croutons.  I marinated the chicken in Dijon mustard, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and rosemary and then cooked it on the grill.  It was very tasty and I will be putting the marinade in recipe rotation. 

Hoping our SVU will be done today at the mechanic so I can take the donation stuff  to the thrift store.  I need to run to Target to pick up more puppy supplies and a new trash can with a lockable lid and then set up more for the puppy.  I also have training tonight at the gym.  I haven’t been in over a week so I am looking to get back into that routine.  So busy-ish day but in a good way non stressful way.

For now though, I am just enjoying the morning with the windows open (don’t have too many more weeks of this beautiful weather), while drinking my coffee and dreaming of furry cuddles, wet puppy kisses and happy tail wags.

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Happy Wednesday.  

Super tired this morning, but to be expected with the start of my cycle. Yesterday was a busy day between work, gym and then errands. Dinner was a leftover/fend for yourself night.

Now I am just relaxing, contemplating some upcoming choices and enjoying my coffee before working. The calendar doesn’t look soo bad today so I should be able to finish up puppy proofing the first floor of our house and sneak in a walk/nap.  About half of her stuff arrived so I am getting that set up.  The other half should be here tomorrow (outside pen, indoor gates for a few rooms until she is house trained).

Thinking dinner tonight may be tuna noodle casserole. It is easy and requires little prep.

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Still tired and achy this morning, but I only have myself to blame.  Stayed up to watch the rest of Strange New Worlds and ended up falling asleep around 1 AM. The achy is just normal monthly girl stuff, but that does’t make it any more enjoyable.

Yesterday was good day.  Work wasn’t too bad on the frustration front and after that I was able to just rest and enjoy the rest of the evening.  I opted to do some squats and bicep curls and then take a walk to the library to return some books.  I am working towards incorporating more movement and lifting in my week outside of just the two days at the trainer. But I also don’t want to over do it on the off days, so for now I am focusing more on technique and form for the lifts and then just getting my heart rate up for 15-30 minutes. 

Dinner last night was pork chops with Adobe seasoning and lemon juice, corn and rolls.  Normally I use lime juice for this but I didn’t have any.  And in reality they tasted the same.   Post dinner I played Shifting Stones with minion #3 and the hubs before binge watching the last 3 episodes of SNW. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thursday .

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Happy Friday everyone.  

Not to much to report from yesterday.  It was a good day. Finished up work, went to the gym and then cooked dinner.  We are still getting the house together for the puppy.  I am hoping the remaining stuff arrives today.  

This morning I put some TOTK music on and just enjoy the late summer sun coming in through the windows and the quiet half day at work. Dinner is going to be the pork and green chili pinto soup.  I am excited about it.  I also have a call later today with an old boss.  He has two upcoming open positions in his organization that he thinks I may be a good fit for.  He works for a very good non profit hospital group and one that  focused on promoting health equity within their community.  It would be nice to work for a company that creates value and better outcomes for people. Either role may entail a pay cut, but the ability to grow beyond where I am is higher.  So more possibly to come on that front.  

I hope everyone finds the “Last” Friday of summer filled with peace and relaxation post work.

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Have had a very full weekend thus far.  We brought Maple Cinnamon home forever.  She is a super sweet and cuddly little girl who loves her humans. We have been working on house training her and slowly showing her that the pen and/or crate is a fun and not scary place to be.  She is a smart girl who self regulates well. She loves playing with giraffe, chasing her small ball and ice cubes.  Belly rubs are also always wanted.  Naps are a must. Minion #3 created an Instagram for her under the name Sweet_As_Maple12 where we will share all things Maple. Feel free to follow for all the cuteness.

https://instagram.com/sweet_as_maple12?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

The last two challenges I have been working on settling my mind and soul.  And while peace is still illusive at times, it does come in spurts when I take the time to be present and not get wrapped up in my emotions or in where I should be. 

I am considering adding some kind of fitness related goal to the next challenge and leveling up my mindfulness (probably around food/eating).

Thanks for following and I wish everyone the best of days for the next challenge.  Also…cute puppy pictures.

(When nap time hits hard)

IMG_4635.jpeg

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

12 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Little Bit is sitting on my Lap while I nerd fitness and she said "I like that puppy."

We like the puppy too!  

• Like 1

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5