Kalitraz's fresh respawn. Time to gear up and rebuild.

Hello Again Rebels,
Long time no see and it was me and not you. I've been away for several years after having gotten my health in a much better place, thanks in large part to this community. I lost 100 lbs in a year and 2 weeks (that 2 week still gets under my skin) and radically changed my life. Once I was in a better place I left the Rebellion for a while. It's been nearly 6 years since I've been around, and alot has changed for me, some for the better, some for the worse. I've found myself in a rough place and I need to get back in control of my health. I'm hoping that surrounding myself with a community focused on improving can help me as I get back to work on improving me. Time for a major respawn!

Harry Potter Daily — stormbun: Fawkes is a phoenix, Harry. They burst...

1. I've lost a couple lbs, but last month I matched my heaviest weight of 300lbs. Over this last winter I had a very bad case of Covid and was dealing with it for quite a while. I was on an oxygen machine for over 6 months. While effectively on bed rest, stressed, not moving, and eating my feelings, I gained alot of weight and lost what fitness I'd managed to maintain. Last summer I was hiking up and down mountains, now I can barely make a flight of stairs without huffing. While my fitness and health hadn't stayed at the level it was when I left the rebellion even prior to getting sick, I was fairly happy with... me. 

I still can't do many of the activities I would like to do. I just don't have that level of fitness anymore and breathing is still not as easy as it should be, but those are the exact reasons I'm working to get healthier again. I'm going to be working on walking to Mordor. Well actually I'm following along with Bilbo to the Lonely Mountain first, but those journeys will take much more than a 5 week challenge to complete. I'm just doing daily walking to try to get healthier and tracking my distance. Shooting for a absolute minimum of 1 mile a day and building up from there. Unfortunately I'm going to have to be doing it inside on the treadmill for a little while as wildfire season has started here in Montana and my weak lungs do not like the smoke. I much prefer walking out in the mountains (especially if there are fish to catch). I've had some family recommend a 30 day yoga for beginners thing on Prime Video that I'm going to work on too, but idk that it's an official part of the challenge for me. I would like to get more limber.

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien | Goodreads

2. My nutrition has slacked and I want to improve that again. I do cook healthy whole food for many meals, and do really enjoy cooking.  I cook mostly at a level 4 of the nerd fitness diet, just with liquid calories, and not tracking, so I hope to make it back to there over this challenge, starting back at level 1. My wife has several diet needs that I have to cook for, so our dinner is usually quite healthy, but I've been eating badly for breakfast and lunch. And working form home I snack far too much.

I don't want to add on too many changes at once, but I think I will also be doing some intermittent fasting. I had great luck with it in the past and only eat breakfast about half the time anyway. Will just have a coffee in the morning (working on cutting out sugar from it, but that's gonna take a little bit), and then eat lunch and dinner. No eating before 11am or after 7pm.

Swedish Chef Cooking GIF

3. In addition to decline if fitness and weight gain, I also fell back into an old bad habit with weed. No more smoking since the covid, but I've eaten too many edibles too often. Before covid, I did smoke almost daily and it was already a friction point between me and my wife. I recently ate the last of what I had and will not be buying any more! Ever. Period! I've tried quitting (smoking) weed a couple times in the past with some success lasing for months, but always came back to it eventually. Many people say it is not addictive, but I know for a fact that I have been, ... no I am addicted to marijuana. It is legal where I live but it's not good for me. While I don't drink much, maybe 1 drink a week, I've had more in the past when I took breaks from smoking. I don't want to replace 1 vice with another so the goal for this 5 weeks is sobriety.

Mtv Drug Sticker by INTO ACTION for iOS & Android | GIPHY

There's many other things in my life I'd like to work on improving, but for now I need to rebuild a healthy foundation to stand on while I juggle life. Next challenge I'll hopefully be able to build off of progress built in this challenge, and leapfrog on to additional improvements. I feel like I'm jumping back into a survival game were the other players are already geared up and established. I need to get my basics back, with which to rebuild and achieve more advanced tools and achievements. Time to grind!

Minecraft: craft vagy is a barkácsolás

5-Week Challenge TLDR:

1. Fitness: Daily Walking, min of 1 mile a day.
    Goal of 30 miles minimum.
  2. Nutrition: Starting with the NF diet from lvl 1 "Help, I'm Clueless", and intermittent fasting skipping breakfast.
    Goal of reaching lvl 4 by end of the challenge.
  3. No weed, no drinks.
    Goal of 100%. No slip-ups.

• Like 8

Challenges: 1st [B-], 2nd [NA], (6 years away),  3rd[A-], 4th [B-], 5th [C], 6th [Current]
Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet)

"Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
(Don't wait for the ideal circumstances, get to work NOW)

The most important step a man can take. It's not the first one, is it? It's the next one. Always the next step.

2 hours ago, Kalitraz said:

I'm just doing daily walking to try to get healthier and tracking my distance. Shooting for a absolute minimum of 1 mile a day and building up from there.

A mile is a great place to start. I've found that a small task trivial enough I'll actually do it always trumps a grandiose one I won't do. 

I think I will also be doing some intermittent fasting. I had great luck with it in the past and only eat breakfast about half the time anyway. Will just have a coffee in the morning (working on cutting out sugar from it, but that's gonna take a little bit), and then eat lunch and dinner.

Good luck with this! IF has been huge for me, even if I don't always do it perfectly. If you don't have an issue with artificial sweeteners, a drop or two of liquid sucralose in the coffee (I use EZ-Sweetz) is a nice non-caloric way to scratch the sweet itch.

No weed, no drinks.

No joke! Good for you. Maybe let us know if you feel any different after a few clean days?

This looks like a very well-thought-out challenge. Welcome back!

• Thanks 1

hröa Periano, sanar Eldaro, fëa Núnatano

(body of a Hobbit, mind of an Elf, soul of a Dúnadan)

Memories of a former Age [ 1 |  2 ]  ~  Return from Mandos [ respawn ]

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth { 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 |

14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 2829 | 30 | 31 | 32 ]

[ Current: Metamorphosis ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

Here to cheer you on! Slow and steady is definitely the way to do it :) 

• Thanks 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

6 hours ago, Kalitraz said:

Hello Again Rebels,
Long time no see and it was me and not you. I've been away for several years after having gotten my health in a much better place, thanks in large part to this community. I lost 100 lbs in a year and 2 weeks (that 2 week still gets under my skin) and radically changed my life. Once I was in a better place I left the Rebellion for a while. It's been nearly 6 years since I've been around, and alot has changed for me, some for the better, some for the worse. I've found myself in a rough place and I need to get back in control of my health. I'm hoping that surrounding myself with a community focused on improving can help me as I get back to work on improving me. Time for a major respawn!

Harry Potter Daily — stormbun: Fawkes is a phoenix, Harry. They burst...

1. I've lost a couple lbs, but last month I matched my heaviest weight of 300lbs. Over this last winter I had a very bad case of Covid and was dealing with it for quite a while. I was on an oxygen machine for over 6 months. While effectively on bed rest, stressed, not moving, and eating my feelings, I gained alot of weight and lost what fitness I'd managed to maintain. Last summer I was hiking up and down mountains, now I can barely make a flight of stairs without huffing. While my fitness and health hadn't stayed at the level it was when I left the rebellion even prior to getting sick, I was fairly happy with... me. 

Welcome back! The great thing about this forum is that no matter how long you've been gone, it's still full of kind and interesting people who are focused on improving themselves and their health. I too am just back after an absence and would be happy to support you in your respawn. 

FWIW, I have also been through the process of losing a lot of weight (about 80 lbs in my case) and then regaining it amid various shitty life happenings (thanks cancer) and then facing the prospect of retreading previously won battles. I'm so sorry about your covid (oxygen machine, holy crap!) and I hope your recovery is coming along.

In short, you're not alone and we can do this.

I still can't do many of the activities I would like to do. I just don't have that level of fitness anymore and breathing is still not as easy as it should be, but those are the exact reasons I'm working to get healthier again. I'm going to be working on walking to Mordor. Well actually I'm following along with Bilbo to the Lonely Mountain first, but those journeys will take much more than a 5 week challenge to complete. I'm just doing daily walking to try to get healthier and tracking my distance. Shooting for a absolute minimum of 1 mile a day and building up from there. Unfortunately I'm going to have to be doing it inside on the treadmill for a little while as wildfire season has started here in Montana and my weak lungs do not like the smoke. I much prefer walking out in the mountains (especially if there are fish to catch). I've had some family recommend a 30 day yoga for beginners thing on Prime Video that I'm going to work on too, but idk that it's an official part of the challenge for me. I would like to get more limber.

Ugh, so relatable. Right down to the wildfires (I am in Vancouver, Canada atm) and the frustration of no longer being able to do stuff I could do and loved doing. But wanting to be able to do it again it is good motivation.

3. In addition to decline if fitness and weight gain, I also fell back into an old bad habit with weed. No more smoking since the covid, but I've eaten too many edibles too often. Before covid, I did smoke almost daily and it was already a friction point between me and my wife. I recently ate the last of what I had and will not be buying any more! Ever. Period! I've tried quitting (smoking) weed a couple times in the past with some success lasing for months, but always came back to it eventually. Many people say it is not addictive, but I know for a fact that I have been, ... no I am addicted to marijuana. It is legal where I live but it's not good for me. While I don't drink much, maybe 1 drink a week, I've had more in the past when I took breaks from smoking. I don't want to replace 1 vice with another so the goal for this 5 weeks is sobriety.

This is an awesome goal. FWIW, I knew someone once who was definitely addicted to weed, so here's another vote for the fact that, at least for some people, it is habit-forming. It also has various other somewhat rare but scary ill effects: the guy in question suffered a psychotic break in his late 20's that thankfully was able to be gotten under control with medication, but which his doctors said was made more likely by extremely heavy weed use. Anyway, I don't know what kind of support you want for sobriety stuff, but I'm in your corner.

I feel like I'm jumping back into a survival game were the other players are already geared up and established. I need to get my basics back, with which to rebuild and achieve more advanced tools and achievements. Time to grind!

Oof, that is a very apt metaphor. 

• Thanks 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

Great to see you're back! I love that you are easing into it again but with the enthusiasm necessary to get started. I'm sorry to hear that the wildfires are keeping you out of the mountains. We encountered some of the smoke from Canada where I live, and it was bad enough that I had migraines for several days in a row.

You've got this, my friend. Let me know if I can help in any way.

• Thanks 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

12 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

We encountered some of the smoke from Canada where I live, and it was bad enough that I had migraines for several days in a row.

This might sound silly, but I felt really bad when Canadian wildfire smoke was making life hard in so many US cities. Sorry US friends 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

1 hour ago, Severine said:

This might sound silly, but I felt really bad when Canadian wildfire smoke was making life hard in so many US cities. Sorry US friends 😅

This might be the most stereotypically Canadian thing I've ever read. "I'm sorry that I'm on fire."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Week 0 could certainly be going better but I'm prepping for the full challenge. Started food tracking, but am also going though and eating the bad foods I still have in the pantry :P. Been doing a little walking. I rolled my ankle pretty bad while wade fishing this last weekend and it's still stiff and sore but still trying to walk as I can. Found a couple beers left in the fridge and had one last night while running my weekly DnD campaign and I think I'll drink 1 more sometime this weekend before the start of week 1 to clear em out. I do find myself wanting to go get more edibles but will stay strong and not get any more or any more alcohol. Groceries day today and I'll def be paying more attention to what I throw in the cart this week.

@Severine I think the smoke affecting the East Coast cities, while troublesome for them, brought alot of attention to fire protection that we usually don't get. I think it helped get some more funding pushed through for fire season protections. I know that in MT the firefighters got a raise this year. It's hard, dangerous, and very important work but doesn't have the best pay. So grateful for them out controlling those fires where possible. New York got a little smoke, and I think some people started to realize that in the Rockies, smoke season is every summer. We've been lucky so far, it was such a wet spring for us that we really had an extra month before the smoke started much here, but now several fires have started around here in the last week and are growing. Nothing massive but as always worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 3

Challenges: 1st [B-], 2nd [NA], (6 years away),  3rd[A-], 4th [B-], 5th [C], 6th [Current]

The most important step a man can take. It's not the first one, is it? It's the next one. Always the next step.

13 hours ago, Kalitraz said:

@Severine I think the smoke affecting the East Coast cities, while troublesome for them, brought alot of attention to fire protection that we usually don't get. I think it helped get some more funding pushed through for fire season protections. I know that in MT the firefighters got a raise this year. It's hard, dangerous, and very important work but doesn't have the best pay. So grateful for them out controlling those fires where possible. New York got a little smoke, and I think some people started to realize that in the Rockies, smoke season is every summer. We've been lucky so far, it was such a wet spring for us that we really had an extra month before the smoke started much here, but now several fires have started around here in the last week and are growing. Nothing massive but as always worth keeping an eye on.

I 100% agree with all of this. I lived on the east coast until 2021, and I knew a lot about fire season from my west coast friends, but it's not the same thing as actually living through it. It's so much worse than I thought it'd be before I moved here. This year hasn't been too bad for us here so far (although northern BC has gotten it really bad, poor folks), but last summer and the summer before were horrible. Anyway, yeah, anything that brings nationwide/worldwide attention to it is a good thing. This summer, up here in BC, we've already lost a helicopter pilot who crashed while doing fire work and a 19-year-old woman who was apparently a hell of a firefighter with the BC Wildfire Service. Those people do a job that would break most people and they don't get enough pay, support, or recognition.

I watched a movie on Netflix a while back called 'Those Who Wish Me Dead' that featured smokejumpers in Montana, one of whom is played by Angelia Jolie, and she gets sucked into a mystery/criminal plot involving assassins trying to use wildfires as cover for their crimes. It was pretty entertaining and surprisingly moving/well written for an action movie. I recommend it if you've got a couple of hours. Here's the trailer, and you can search for it on Netflix if you're into it: 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Severine said:

I watched a movie on Netflix a while back called 'Those Who Wish Me Dead' that featured smokejumpers in Montana, one of whom is played by Angelia Jolie, and she gets sucked into a mystery/criminal plot involving assassins trying to use wildfires as cover for their crimes. It was pretty entertaining and surprisingly moving/well written for an action movie. I recommend it if you've got a couple of hours. Here's the trailer, and you can search for it on Netflix if you're into it: 

Thanks for the recommendation! Always looking out for new movies.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2023 at 11:41 AM, Kalitraz said:

Week 0 could certainly be going better but I'm prepping for the full challenge.

It's the time to find the barriers and revise as necessary.    And drink the beer ....  🤣

• Haha 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Alright, today is the official start! One thing I keep putting off but know I should do is good 'before' measurements so here they are. I've also taken pics but would rather not post those here atm. 
(ok, I misplaced my body tape measure but I'm leaving this here to encourage myself to find it and enter these asap!)

Weight: 293 lbs
Neck:15.5

Chest:49.5
Bicep:15
Waist:55
Hip:50
Thigh:30
Calf:17.5

While I'm watching what I eat and always adjusting that towards healthier, I'm focusing mostly on tracking atm. (btw, calorie counting apps are a real pain for trying to track meals made from scratch, I hardly ever measure what I cook with, I just use as much as the dish needs). I am cutting out fast food, sodas, alcohol and candy as much as possible. Still have some bad foods around in the house but trying not to use them much. Breakfast is usually just a cup of coffee with a bit of sugar (which I'm tapering to less and less). Lunch is often leftovers form the night before, or a sandwich (probably not gonna buy any more bread after this loaf is gone). And dinner is usually some form of stir fry, or roast chicken and veggies. Sometime substitute grilled chicken and veggies during the summer so the oven doesn't heat up the house too much. Aside from fast food once or twice a week, and liquid calories (I am a sucker for drinking my calories), I feel like I eat fairly healthy but I know there is room to improve.

I want to really focus on getting moving more. Rebuilding some stamina and endurance and strengthening my lungs again. Mile a day walk is my bare minimum but will also be mixing in bodyweight workouts here and there. I did get the new NF app so will be following along with that for a while but IDK that I'm gonna get the subscription. Maybe, maybe for next challenge. I have lots of material from when I was with the rebellion years ago and there is lots of free content here too. It's more the accountability aspect that I'm working on and sticking with it even when I don't want to. I work from home and my commute is a flight of stairs so it's far too easy to just move from bed to my desk and stay there until dinner. I've got my treadmill in my office now to hopefully at least get that mile in on my lunch hour and hopefully build some momentum and want to do more then and/or after work. I get off an hour ahead of my wife and usually use that time to cook dinner for us, but then it's often back to the computer. I'm making an effort to do more with fixing up the house, maintaining our yard and exterior, and even go out to do more fun stuff outside before dark (wildfire smoke permitting).

Good luck to everyone on their challenge and thank you those of you that are following along here and cheering me on! It means alot and is very helpful. Here's to the first day of the rest of my life!

Starting Line GIFs | Tenor

• Like 3

Oh yeah, the work-from-home activity struggle is real. I used to commute to work, and I definitely took for granted the value of walking to the train, walking from the train to the office, walking all around the multi-level office building to talk to people, etc.

I agree that the way you're eating now sounds like a pretty good foundation. Sure, there's room for improvement, but it's important to also have a realistic perspective and give yourself credit where it's due. Plus it's easier to build an excellent diet on an existing solid foundation than to start absolutely from scratch.

Not sure which app you're using, but the two I've used (MyFitnessPal and MyNetDiary) both had options to add custom recipes. So for all of our regular dishes, we'd make it once while measuring everything just to get it statted out and saved in the app database, and then in the future as long as we made it more or less in the same way, we could use the existing entry. With food tracking, nothing is ever completely exact (IIRC, even commercially labelled foods can be off as much as 15% from what's on the label without breaking the law), so it's all about being close enough for keeping track without obsessing about the details.

Sounds like you're off to a great start, anyway. Go get it!

• Thanks 1

Alrighty, I think it's time for an update. In short, things are going quite well! Started in 0 week so I'm a week into my challenge

I've been moving alot more , meeting and exceeding my goal of at least a mile of walking each day, except for yesterday. I hope to keep building on that going forward. Between having to work through my lunch when I've normally been walking and having to troubleshoot tech for a couple hours before DM'ing my weekly DnD session (Roll20 virtual tabletop website was down and I was trying to salvage enough to still do a session and not panic about losing my whole campaign) I didn't find the time yesterday to get more than a half mile in. Idk how I'd really track it, but I've also been using my standing desk again for the first time in probably about a year. I did get a step tracker and I think it may be a bit overly generous with how far it thinks I go, but it's nice to have a tracker as I go about my week (tho it does not track the treadmill very well and it's been super smoky so that's all I've been doing for walk right now). Just got to keep adding to how far I go.

Silly Walk GIF

I've diligently tracked my food for the last week, after today I'll officially graduate to level 2 of the NF diet. I stayed under 2,000 Calories every day but one when we had a mini family reunion/potluck at my grandma's with my cousin coming through from out of town. I did overeat a bit that night. I got fast food for 2 meals this last week, but still stayed under the 2k calorie goal those days. Next benchmark is eliminating liquid calories for a week. I have a couple teaspoons of sugar with my morning coffee and I have a couple bottles of green juice in the fridge for quick meal replacements but other than that the main thing I'll have to watch for is getting a soda or Arizona/Peace Tea while out and about on adventures (man I love those raspberry teas). I won't be getting any more juice or liquid treats at the grocery stores. I think I'll allow myself 1 tea/week if we go out for a fishing trip or something but no more. Gonna try for no eating out this week too as it's just far too easy for me to add a soda on with a meal. Intermittent fasting hasn't been a home-run but I'm working on narrowing my 'feast' window.

Level Up GIF by Microsoft Education

Been weed freer for over a week now. I find myself still wanting to swing by and grab edibles now and then, especially when I'm out running errands by myself. It seems there are more and more dispensaries all over all the time. I'm please to say it's been easier than I expected tho. Giving myself the hard ultimatum of NO MORE,not just less or less often has made it easier. I just needed to make it to where it's not a choice. Going from 'Well I'll just reduce' or 'Not for a while' to 'I'm not a person who does that'. I will say that I feel much more forgetful the last week. IDK that I am more forgetful, or that the weed was just making me not feel as forgetful, or care that I was, or made me forget being forgetful. I've felt alot more bored, tho I've been much busier. Weed made me not care if I was bored. I realize now that it's not so much that it made things more interesting while on it, but that it made me care less that I was bored. I've been quite productive this week, probably partially trying to counter that bored feeling. Been making progress on long term work projects I've been putting off for way to long. I went through and deep cleaned alot of our house, even getting with the wifey and going through and packing up a bunch of clothes we don't wear or are currently too small in order to make room for the clothes we do wear so we can actually put them away and not just live out of the piles of laundry on the couch. On that note I got the pile all washed and folded! IDK when the last time that happened was. Embarrassing to admit but that actually feels like a decently big win for me. No drinks either. I've thought a couple times that a beer might be nice in the evening but can easily do without. I found I still had one in the back of the fridge but I poured it down the drain so the temptation wasn't even there. Trying to do everything I can to get ahead of decision fatigue. Last beer I had was Friday so I guess it hasn't quite been a week of being completely sober yet.

Over It Garrison GIF by South Park

I feel like things are off to a good start and am excited to continue on through the rest of the challenge and beyond. I feel like I'm already making progress, tho I recognize I have only just begun. Thanks to everyone who's following along, I hope you're challenges are off to good starts too!

• Like 3

Well things continue to continue. I'd give myself a B for the last little while. I missed a couple days of food tracking but have been much more active. Had a death in the family a couple days ago, first cousin of my generation and younger than me, and I have been eating my feelings a bit. Taco bell didn't have a line for the first time in memory as I went to go get groceries and I had just heard the news so drove through and grabbed a couple burritos. Have not experience buyers remorse like that in a bit. I can't believe I used to live on those beefy-5-layer burritos. It was frankly nasty, and had me feeling unwell for a couple hours, probably surprising no-one but me. I used to be able to get 3-4 for like $5 and now I got 2 for almost $9! I ate one of the burritos on the way to Walmart and threw the other away. I've been avoiding liquid calories, even when I went to the drive through I just grabbed one of the water bottles form the case I keep in the car instead of getting a pop. I have been drinking green juice for meal replacements here and there when I'm not too hungry, but it's instead of not in addition to meals. I've stayed under my calorie goal (one of the days I didn't track I probably went over, but confident the others were still under). The weather cleared out the wildfire smoke for about the last week and I've enjoyed walking outside around my neighborhood instead of on the treadmill. I really hate our little treadmill, it lacks the power to run well and to use it I have to partially hold my weight up on my arms or the belt stops. I did go ahead and sign up for the NF app and have been following along with it for additional nutrition/exercise/mindset progress.

Mini-soapbox moment: Nerd fitness has the descriptions for Ranger and Adventurer backwards! It should be that anyone can be an adventurer, a good adventurer party has people from multiple disciplines, the jacks of all trades. The Ranger should be focused on wood-craft, hiking, camping, natural history and exploration. Guess it doesn't really matter for anything, just that it mildly annoys me. All that to say I've resumed my RANGER training. My wife has done archery all her life, winning many trophies as a child and teen, even out-shooting many adults and winning tournaments. She has dozens of trophies and has started teaching me as well. We took our bows and target up into the national forest and did some practice. While I have a large bruise on my inner-arm, I really enjoyed it! We were also recently gifted a couple memberships to the indoor archery range here in town so we can continue all winter.  We hope to do our hunting this fall with bows. I'm lucky enough to have a family ranch not too far away where we can likely find a few easy deer to start off with. She's done plenty of bow-hunts including for bear, but not for several years. I need to really work on my stealth in the forest. I make far too much noise. Something like a -4 stealth modifier :P. We've started doing some hikes too as I continue to rebuild my strength and endurance. Just scouting the trails for now, but I hope that we can do some extended hikes soon and maybe take our mountain bikes too before summer ends. As everyone in MT knows... winter is coming and will be here all too soon. Living at a mile high just accelerates that. The CDT runs right by us and there are trails basically at any compass point from us so plenty to explore. More than a lifetime worth probably. I am excited about the weather cooling because it means that many of the fishing restrictions have been lifted on the rivers. Think I might even try to go do a little fly fishing this evening.

Summary of challenge so far:

1. I've only missed my goal of 1mile/day once since the challenge started. I haven't done the yoga thing, but have resumed working out several times a week with a body-weight workout.

2. Missed a few days of tracking food but am eating healthier, staying under 2k calories/day, and avoiding liquid calories.

3. 0 Drinks and no weed. 100% on this goal.

Bow And Arrow Archery GIF by Show TV Prepare Season 7 GIF by Game of Thrones

• Like 2

Hi there! Sorry to hear about the covid and general back-steppery in your fitness/health goals, but good for you coming back to the place you got support :) I did similar and left here for a good while, but have been back for a year or so now as it really is the most helpful thing to keep me on track and accountable.

I think it's very important to start back slow with little achievable goals, and not beat yourself up if sometimes it slips back - it's all progression and habit building, and life will come to scupper that sometimes.

Re cutting sugar in coffee - I can highly recommend putting molasses in coffee for a little bit of sweetness but with lots of nutrients and iron (and it tastes good!)

Re weed not being addictive - I've never partaken, but even if something is technically chemically not addictive, it doesn't mean your brain isn't addicted to the feeling you get smoking/eating it. Good for you cutting it out, and also great job pouring away the beer. I used to hate food waste of any kind, so would eat through bad/gross stuff I had leftover, but actually all it's doing is adding empty/crap calories into your body before becoming waste anyway :D 

• Thanks 1

Level 37 Rogue Ranger, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Hey seeing as we're in similar boats, here for support. I like these goals, intermittent fasting has been a game changer for me personally.

I've also dealt with a form of addiction before. I don't know much about weed, but I was heavily reliant on a legal but controversial herb that starts with a K. At first, it seemed to make doing anything better. Gym, study, even public speaking. But as the years went by it turned on me. I think with almost all of these things, anything that gives us a short term relief, always takes from us in the long term.  Well done on keeping clean, I don't know about you but for me it's been great to experience the clarity of mind that comes with a mind that is pure and as is.

• Thanks 1

Allllllrighty then, time for another update. First off, thanks everyone for the support! It means alot and is a big motivator. 2-weeks into the challenge and I feel I'm doing pretty well! I'm feeling better and stronger all the time. Where I struggled to get a mile a day in at the start, I'm now often walking 2 just on my lunch hour! Having my overenthusiastic dog help drag me along certainly encourages me to go a little farther and stay consistent too. She's older but has had a ton of energy for our walks and it seems to be helping her too. Very rarely am I getting less than 2 miles a day now, tho I do think my smartwatch is a little overly generous with my steps/distance and have been rounding it down, especially when we've been dirt-roading in the mountains and bouncing around. My wife and I drove up on top of some mountains nearby to watch the Perseid meteor shower this weekend. We went out the night before the peak and saw some really good bright meteors and luckily we did as clouds blew in the night of the actual peak and we were unable to watch then. Was really fun and beautiful (nothing like Big Sky country to bring out the stars, and even better on a mountaintop), but it was alot of bouncing around lol. I've also been doing pretty consistent bodyweight workouts (level 3 in the NF app) and can feel myself getting stronger and the exercises getting easier. I haven't done any of the yoga stuff I mentioned in the start of the challenge but I've enjoyed the NF workouts.

Flexing Comedy Central GIF by South Park

Nutrition has been going well. I've been eating pretty well, minimizing liquid calories and carbs, and mostly tracking everything I eat. I've found logging food to be fairly annoying and the hardest part. Just trying to figure out what my home-made meals line up to calorie and nutrition wise, especially because I rarely cook anything the same way twice XP.  I've also found that I struggle to log everything on the weekend, where during the week, logging food is a nice little break during the work day 😅. I'm confident I'm staying well under my 2k calorie goal, but have not logged every day. Fasting has gone pretty well too. I haven't quite managed an 8 hour feast window every day but have been close. Mostly just skipping breakfast except for a cup of coffee every morning as I'm logging in and getting ready for work. I do still have a couple tsp of sugar in it.

100% success on sobriety goal! I do still miss weed edibles and occasionally want a drink, but it's not especially difficult not to. Just that I do notice that I still want them. I find that seeing other people smoking or drinking, even on TV, really makes me want to smoke or drink myself. Smelling weed smoke is harder. I haven't smoked in nearly a year, but still when I smell it there's still a craving. I find it shocking how many people walking around Walmart have recently smoked. Mini-victory tho, while driving around or out in the woods, when I smell a skunk it no longer makes me think of weed first. Now it just smells like a skunk and not immediately like weed. First time in years that's been the case. Makes me wonder why that smell was so appealing when the closest analog is skunk stink.

sick lisa simpson GIF

I have felt more clear headed lately. Between the sobriety, exercising, removing excess bad food I am feeling better.  The frustrating thing is that I find by working on improving any area of my life, it throws every other aspect I could  be doing into focus and it feels rather overwhelming. I know that it's not really the case but it feels like I can't work on anything in particular without being crushed by all the other things I should be doing. I know logically by making the changes I can now, I am better off than I was before, but I feel worse off because it focuses all the other things that I haven't done and still need to do. While living in my fortress of slothfulness,  distraction and ignorance, I was comfortable but not changing or improving at all. I've realized that comfort is the enemy of progress, but it follows then that progress is also uncomfortable. I want to focus on feeling better and enjoying the progress I am making, but it feels like celebrating navigating a puddle when I have an entire marsh still to traverse. I've recently resurrected my journal and the reflection in that of where I am and where I want to get to also plays into that feeling.

320px-The_Lord_of_the_Rings_-_The_Two_To

• Like 2

PS: I'm down 15lbs! Not since start of this challenge, but in the last couple months. It's a start at least.

Had a couple racks of ribs thawed for guests coming over that didn't happen last week and I need to cook em so doing some of Alton Brown's 'Who Loves Ya' Baby-back Ribs tonight. Let's just call it a serendipitous reward. The electric smoker wouldn't come on this afternoon so just doing them in the oven the way the recipe actually calls for. One of my fave recipes, only improved by a session in the smoker to get them started. Step-brother is coming over for some burgers tomorrow and I imagine I'll have a few ribs left over too.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

Ribs turned out pretty good, tho I've done them better before even without the smoker. For anyone else interested in trying the recipe swap out the white wine and white wine vinegar for apple cider vinegar. I like the flavor alot more. Tried making twice baked potatoes too since I already had the oven going and threw in a couple ears of corn on the cob. Dinner was alot of calories (I still stayed under my goal!) but it was delicious! I'm reminded again that I tend to cook for a family of 6 instead of just for my wife and I, but hey lotsa leftovers!

20230815_103759.jpg.991e03e67012271b480057bcff4b6b04.jpg

Banner day for movement yesterday. I did my lunch walk yesterday, tho a little shorter than I have been, only 1.3 miles. Wife was out of town giving a presentation so I didn't have the encouragement to walk up the hill to the university to see her at lunch. After dinner we went on another walk for about another 1.4 miles. I was enjoying the warm but not hot August evening so after we got home, dropped off the dog and got some water, I got the new bike out to try our same loop. I recently got rid of my old bike last week that had traveled with me from DC to Germany, to AL to AR and then to MT. It needed more work on it than it was worth and I managed to pick up a new one a little while ago. First time I'd ridden a bike in better part of a decade, and probably the biggest activity day I've had since getting covid and it kicked my butt! I was able to ride it almost all the way up the hill we walk, just had to walk the bike the last 20 yards or so of the hill. My lungs were burning by the time I got to the top but luckily there was a little bench I could rest on while I caught my breath and waited for the world to stop spinning. Had to remind myself that just 4 months ago I was on the oxygen machine. The rest of the ride from there was a much gentler slope up and then the fun part of bike rides, the speedy descent. About another 1.3 miles. My lungs were not happy about the ordeal, still aren't for that matter, but I think it was good for me. I feel like I scalded my lungs all down my trachea and have been coughing out all sorts of crud. Finally getting to where I'm no longer coughing ~12 hours later. It was a long night. That said I do think it was good in that it's helping clear out some of the leftover crud that was hiding out in the bottom corners of my lungs since winter. About 4 miles total yesterday and despite the coughs, I feel good! Yesterday was supposed to be a bodyweight workout day but considering what I did instead I don't feel too bad about pushing it back to today. I will be taking the bike out more, but it might be a day or two 😅. I do feel a little bad taking the bike because our dog Lillie can't come along for those rides. She's a good girl, but not quite leash disciplined enough for that. A bit too distractable and strong. But she loves our walks and I've even noticed her slimming down a bit too since we've started.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

On 8/15/2023 at 11:36 AM, Kalitraz said:

First time I'd ridden a bike in better part of a decade

Good for you!!!  I took up bike riding again after ..... um ..... maybe 3 decades.  Had to relearn some skills (leaning into a turn) and was surprised how much exercise it is gives me.

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Well, I've been doing pretty good. A few bits less than ideal here and there, but ok overall. I think I need to just designate Wednesdays as an 'off' day and not worry as much about getting in a workout, or walking more than the minimum. Wednesdays are when I run my DnD game and I'm always scrambling at lunch and after work to sort through notes, create/import/prepare tokens and maps, review extra ideas, trying to think of NPC voices (that I then don't use), and, and, and.... Then we usually go a fair bit past bedtime so there's not really any time after. At lest I have the time zone working for me unlike all my players but one who are even an hour later than I am. I usually still manage to get a dinner made for my wife and I, but it's usually something fairly simple. A tray bake with some chicken and veggies, or like this week it was just taco stuff. I'm running The Wilds Beyond the Witchlight for a bunch of friends in AL. We've been going for more than a year now tho I had to take a 6-month break in the middle due to the Covid, and right before a big boss encounter too. We've been having fun and are getting back into the flow of the story. About half way through chapter 3 of 5. As a brand new DM who hasn't even been a player myself I see tons of places where I wish I was doing a better job running the game, but most everyone seems to be having a good time.

Role Playing Magic GIF by Dungeons & Dragons

I pushed off my workout a few days after bike ride, dnd, and just no desire to do it. I did manage to get it in yesterday, but I did each exercise a step easier than I had been doing them. I did cut down a hedge in my yard yesterday that's been a bit of an issue and that was a mini workout itself. The smoke-blew back in the last few days so I haven't really wanted to be outside as much. I can FEEL it in my lungs. Getting tired just from breathing is a bizarre sensation that I don't wish on anyone. I moved my boat and am working on rearranging everything outside of my shed as we've got tree removal guys coming to take out  2 huge pines in my yard sometime next week. I feel a little bad about taking out the trees, but I think it'll be for the best long term. One is right in the middle of everything and in the way, makes a huge mess with needles and sap, and is actually tangled around the phone/internet line to the house. Another has split into 2 trunks and they're worried it may be prone to spitting and falling. Each split is large enough that I don't think I could reach around it. The one giant pine would probably take 2 of me to reach around it all the way. Lot's of landscape changes to the yard this month, but even with just the hedge gone it feels so much more open. It was only so-so as a privacy hedge anyway and just goes to an alley behind my house.

tripping out the kid who would be king GIF by 20th Century Fox

Gonna put in some raised garden beds along the fence where it was. I live at a pretty high altitude with very long winters so it limits what I can grow, but I do love gardening. My garden this year was kinda pathetic, but I'm making progress setting up for next spring to be able to really go wild. If anyone has any cold-weather/ high-altitude garden tips I'd welcome them. Trying to think how I might incorporate windows on the new raised beds to allow for a sort of mini-greenhouse on them to get a jump on the early growing season.

image.gif.0ce3548d4a7a29fed988513e7ed89e7a.gif

I've been kinda lax on logging all my food consistently, but I'm doing good about what I am eating (tho my wife did buy me a loaf of bread and I'm a toast fiend so it's been hard to pace myself with that). Current challenge in the NF app is about eating more protein. I felt I was already eating a pretty good portion of protein so adding more has been a little bit of a struggle. Also that my wife has been struggling a little with indigestion and discomfort from too much meat and grease (we're hoping it's not a gallbladder issue, but not really sure), so between those I haven't really made much progress on MORE protein. I used to grab a fast food meal once a week or so when out running errands or on my way to get groceries to not shop on an empty stomach, but I've shunned them all this week. No liquid calories either so win there.

Still 100% sober. Zero weed and I am committed to that being the case for months, years, decades to come. Watching American Gods last week and as Wednesday is talking about drinking Mead to seal a deal, I remembered I had a bottle up in a cabinet and considered breaking my streak to pop that open, but I'll hold off and have it as celebration or save it for ice-fishing this winter. I always associate mead as a cold-weather drink. I guess memories of the German drinking warm Mead and Glühwein in the snow. Sometimes I really miss Germany. Not for the drinks, barely drank while I was there, I just really enjoyed living there and wish I had better taken advantage of my time abroad. I was dealing with some nasty undiagnosed mental illness agoraphobia shit at the time and mostly spent my study abroad year locked in my little student-living apartment.

Apres Ski Winter GIF by Jungfrau Region

Sorry my updates are so long winded. I start typing and just get kinda carried away rambling about things that don't even pertain to the challenge. Thanks to everyone who if following along anyway! 😅

• Like 2

Don't worry, everyone rambles in their challenges. Actually they turn out more like public dairies xD 

You are doing great! Try not to dwell on what you could have done in the past. Everyone has such thoughts sometimes, and we all did as well as we could at that time. And in the future we will all hopefully be wiser and stronger to do better. 

Good luck with quiting weed and alcohol! I am sober maybe two years and it gives enormous satisfaction. It's worth it, trust me. One of the achievements I am most proud of. 

• Thanks 1

Veni, vidi, vici. 

Working on things outdoors can be one of the best workouts, I'd count it as a workout myself :)  If you're looking for a good source of protein that is convenient and not meat that you'd have to prepare, check out the macros of greek yogurt next time you're in the grocery store. Very low calorie, and high in protein.

• Like 1