sylph checks in and chills out

No big revelations during todays listening session while walking to the post office. Surprise/Awe/Wonder just doesn't seem to have as much potential for 'holy shit' moments as things like resentment and disappointment. Which is in itself an interesting point.

Last night I did a TON of prep and figuring for the sewing project. I think that means that all I have left to do is actually sew the thing together, but I have been fooled like this before, so I will remain cautiously optimistic. 

Shoulder Kitten has a rabies vaccination appointment this afternoon so I'll be running out for that, but otherwise it's all sewing all the time once work is done. I want to finish this SO BADLY because (1) it will be super cool, (2) hubs is really excited to wear it, and (3) I can then stop sewing to a deadline, and do other sewing projects on a more relaxed schedule as well as... all of the things that have fallen by the wayside while I've been focused on this.

• Like 2
Just now, sylph said:

Last night I did a TON of prep and figuring for the sewing project. I think that means that all I have left to do is actually sew the thing together, but I have been fooled like this before, so I will remain cautiously optimistic. 

Oh wait, I just remembered that there is one more embellishment that I need to construct. It should go relatively quickly, but I am a very slow sewist, as previously discussed so ... BUT there is a lot of actual construction that I can do before that comes into play so I can actually do things that look like actual progress before pausing again to finish up that bit.

22 minutes ago, sylph said:

No big revelations during todays listening session while walking to the post office. Surprise/Awe/Wonder just doesn't seem to have as much potential for 'holy shit' moments as things like resentment and disappointment. Which is in itself an interesting point.

I had this exact same reaction when I was reading.

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Yesterday's sewing was an exercise in frustration. Getting square pockets lined up to each other, their flaps, and the existing seams on a vest is difficult. I knew this, but my brain also just did NOT want to cooperate. And,  I could barely sew in a straight line to save my life. Seam ripper was much in use. Sigh.

Hopefully today will be better. I would very much like this vest to be done before the weekend is over so I can move on to OTHER things that have been put on hold.

• Like 1

Anyhoo-- got my walk to the post office in this morning.

Sensitive Cat was all out of sorts after Shoulder Kitten got back from her rabies shot. There was much hissing yesterday afternoon and evening. As of about 30 minutes ago, however, he came and licked her on the head and they are currently wrestling in the living room, so he seems to have gotten over himself. When she got spayed, it took 2.5 days, so just under 18 hours is progress. She remains relatively unfazed by it, though seems slightly confused as to why her best buddy suddenly pretends she's a stranger after she goes through a traumatic experience like riding in the car and getting poked by a stranger. He's due for his own vet visit in a month or so, so we'll see how he does after that.

More sewing this afternoon, of course. I'm not even really exasperated by this project? Mostly just resigned that it's going to be a slog. Oh well. I'll just keep plugging away at it until it's finished and try to maintain my attention so that the end result is good enough for me to be proud of at the end.

• Like 1

Sewing on Friday was better, and yesterday was even better than that. Project is DONE. Hubs is quite pleased with it, which is the main thing. It even fits him well. Despite the absolute brain fart of a day on ...  Thursday? Whatever. The days run together. At any rate, the thing is done and I can refocus and chill out (as per the topic of this challenge).  I even  finished it before the weekend was over which is nice.

I think my next project will be this https://www.etsy.com/listing/1459700671/female-fantasy-tabard-vest-with-lacing as the basis for sort of a Fennec Shand kind of thing. 

I've bought the pattern, but still need to sort out the fabric and notions. Working from an actual pattern and instructions should be a nice brain break from all the purely-out-of-my-own-head finagling of the previous project. (you mean I don't have to figure out sizing,  and pattern drafting, and construction order, and seam placement all on my own? What is this sorcery?)

In between cups of coffee this morning I did about 15 minutes of Sun Salutations, just to get the blood flowing and start working the kinks out. It felt pretty good. I've had decent runs in the past of starting my day with at least a handful of Sun Salutations and I might try to get back to that. Sewing is NOT an ergonomic activity for me, so I've been feeling pretty twisted up  the past couple of weeks. It was nice to get moving and stretching a bit.

Other things on the docket this weekend:

• Laundry
  • Meal planning for this week
  • Assembling a small set of drawers for under the desk in my office that has been sitting in the box for more than a week
  • Weed the mulch, trim the shrubbery, etc. It feels cooler today (I mean, it's all relative when you live in the southeast in the summer--it's 82 degrees and just past 9a here) so there may be an opportunity to make our house look like someone actually lives here. If I get REALLY ambitious, I'll mix up some weed spray and tackle the gaps between the driveway pavers.
  • Break down boxes for recycling

This is probably a slightly unrealistic list, given that I just want to lounge on the couch, drink coffee, and snuggle with cats, but typing it all out helps me organize my thoughts a bit.

Also, the spacebar on my laptop is periodically not registering spaces alternating with double registering spaces. It's making typing a bit of an exercise in frustration with lots of backspacing to either add spaces as appropriate or delete the automatic periods that arise from a double space these days. Fun times. I wonder if we have any canned air.

• Like 2
On 8/6/2023 at 9:16 AM, sylph said:

Other things on the docket this weekend:

• Laundry
  • Meal planning for this week
  • Assembling a small set of drawers for under the desk in my office that has been sitting in the box for more than a week
  • Weed the mulch, trim the shrubbery, etc. It feels cooler today (I mean, it's all relative when you live in the southeast in the summer--it's 82 degrees and just past 9a here) so there may be an opportunity to make our house look like someone actually lives here. If I get REALLY ambitious, I'll mix up some weed spray and tackle the gaps between the driveway pavers.
  • Break down boxes for recycling

More than half the list done yesterday, so not too shabby.

Hubs and I did some unexpected running around/errands yesterday afternoon/evening topped off with dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant, so much more entertaining than mulch weeding. ;)

Part of the running around was fabric for the tabard I'm going to sew next. I still need to get piping, grommets, toggles, etc. but I feel pretty good for having the main fabric (black) and lining (grey) chosen and purchased. The fabric was even on sale, so double bonus--I can make this one almost as a practice and (if I so desire) feel okay about getting 'fancier' fabric for one down the road with a slightly different style.

Slept a bit late this morning so no time for Sun Salutations, but perhaps tomorrow. I need to walk up to the post office as soon as my morning meetings are done.

I also need to see if I can make more time to keep listening to Atlas of the Heart--my lending period will be over soon and at my current rate of listening, I won't be finished by then. This is definitely not the kind of book I want to rush, but 20 minute chunks are also not a terribly efficient rate to move through it.  Since this is on a waiting list, I don't think I'll be able to renew it, but if I don't finish, I will certainly get back on the waiting list to be able to finish it down the road.

• Like 2

I... don't really know what we did yesterday. I worked a bit in the morning, since occasionally there's a meeting on Monday mornings that I have to attend. Walked up to the post office and then... ???

We spent some time by the pool in the afternoon--it is HOT here this week, so sitting by the pool is almost a necessity. Our unheated pool is 88F which gives you some idea of how warm it's been.

Work today (though I'll likely cut it a bit short due to yesterday's meeting) and I might get the fabric for my tabard  washed (and ironed if I'm feeling ambitious).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sylph said:

I... don't really know what we did yesterday

I have so many days like this.  Keep up the good work!

Level 48 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

On 8/6/2023 at 9:16 AM, sylph said:

the spacebar on my laptop is periodically not registering spaces alternating with double registering spaces. It's making typing a bit of an exercise in frustration with lots of backspacing to either add spaces as appropriate or delete the automatic periods that arise from a double space these days. Fun times. I wonder if we have any canned air.

I had a job interview a while back and part of it was written, and the laptop they gave the applicants had a sticky'i' key. The job was for animal welfare inspector, and guess what letter shows up a lot when you're writing about animals...? I was convinced it was on purpose, and the point of the exercise wasn't to assess writing skill but to see how a person functioned under pressure with a minor but incredibly irritating thing going wrong that you can't do anything about. All of which is to say, I feel your pain.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Got a couple sun salutations in between meetings yesterday. I was feeling quite creaky, so it helped to get the blood moving a bit.

Walked to/from the post office

Got the tabard fabric seam-edged, so it doesn't fray in the wash, but didn't actually wash it, yet

Read a little, puttered around doing various house chores.

Once I get a break in my meetings this morning, I'll head up to the post office.

After work tonight I need to cut hubs' hair as he's getting a bit shaggy.

I'll also (possibly) wash my tabard fabric, and finish getting the pattern sorted out. It's a PDF so I need to print it (done) and then trim the pages and fit them together (not yet done), then measure myself to ensure I make the right size, then get the fabric cut out (after it's been washed and ironed), THEN I can get started sewing.

That's about all I've got for now :)

• Like 2

Yesterday:

• Work--all day
  • Got to the post office
  • Cut hubs's hair
  • Trimmed printed-out pages of the tabard pattern
  • Made dinner (crockpot BBQ Hawaiian Meatballs)
  • Read some fluff

The audiobook for Atlas of the Heart auto-returned this morning. I got just about 2/3 through it. Put myself on the wait list for when it comes around again so I can finish it. I'm actually okay with that--I wasn't finding the second half of the book as impactful as the first few chapters. Perhaps it'll feel more relevant at a different time (or just these latter chapters don't resonate with me as strongly, which is also possible)

Today:

• Work--half day
  • Post office
  • Possibly grocery shop (or just make the list and actually shop tomorrow)
  • License plate registration renewal--we live on the border of two counties. I received a notice that our plates for one of our vehicles was expiring, so followed the appropriate link and renewed it. The notice for the second vehicle came a couple weeks later and I realized that the first renewal had been put through the wrong one of the two counties. Sigh. Of course, the office for that county doesn't have a readily available phone number to call, so I had to use their email contact form and now I hope that they get back to me and let me know what I need to do (if anything) to fix it. Whee. I don't know why I didn't notice this at the time. PITA bureaucracy. (Also, bureaucracy always looks spelled wrong. Always)
  • Like 1

Yesterday

• Work half day
  • Post office
  • Started grocery list
  • The tax collectors office was surprisingly speedy on the email contact and all is sorted. Hypothetically, next year my renewal will come from the appropriate county and I don't need to do anything to change the payment I already made for this year. Easier than expected, which is nice.
  • Washed fabric for tabard

Today

• Work half day
  • Finished up the grocery list this morning and will shop this afternoon
  • I'd like to iron the tabard fabric
  • I also need to check out the pattern/instructions. There is some mention of seam allowance, but I need to double check. If it's not included in the pattern, I do need to add it before I cut it out. I hope it's clearly stated somewhere, otherwise I'll have to measure the individual pattern pieces and sum them up at bust and hip to see if they match the pattern measurements or not. I'm likely making this too complicated in my head and it will be fine, but I really want to do this correctly and not HAVE to make another one if I don't want to, so here we are.
  • It's still silly hot and humid here, though at least there isn't an Excessive Heat Warning today, so I guess that's progress? Looks like we might get some actual cooling off (highs of 92F instead of 99F--woo!) mid/late next week, which is good since the yard/mulch beds are a disaster.
  • Like 2

Hmm... what did I do this weekend?

Errands/fabric store

Laundry

Got some SOLID progress on the tabard I'm sewing--outer shell, piping and inner lining are all sewn up. Just need to add some interfacing to where the lacing will be, sew the shell to the lining, then do all the finishes (buttons/eyelets/lacing/etc.) I really like this project. It's very simple. Amazing how much easier things come together with a pattern and (even not great) instructions) rather than trying to draft, develop, and wing the entire thing on your own...

Got a walk to the post office yesterday

Other than that it's mostly been sitting around trying not to melt. Looks like the weather might finally be breaking, though, which will make life much more pleasant. The lawn needs to be mowed again, but it's been so effing hot, we keep putting it off. If it doesn't rain today (which it maybe will) perhaps this afternoon will be lawn mowing time.

I do need to get to the post office once they open (not for another half hour)

Also, I woke up early today (why?) and yet did not do any sun salutations. I thought about it and then decided it was Too Hot. Our poor AC has been running non-stop and I think it just can't quite keep up. The house is cool...ish but humid and stuffy. Since the lows have been in the 80F range for about a week, it gets no break and the heat load just doesn't dissipate. At least, I hope that's the case and it's not about to conk out on us. We've still got a good 6-8 weeks of 'summer' weather to deal with and down here you need AC to survive.

In getting up early, I also accidentally started work early, sitting down and answering emails beginning at 7.30a. Again, why?

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, sylph said:

Again, why?

The age-old question.  I hope your weather improves!

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

The age-old question.  I hope your weather improves!

This has been the 'worst' summer we've had since being down here, and really it's only been bad for like a week. Which I suppose goes to illustrate how pleasant it is most of the time otherwise :)

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

Glad the sewing project is going well!

Me tooo!! Apparently a tabard is constructed (at least in this case) in a very similar manner to a vest, so it all feels very familiar.

And there are no square pockets that need to be lined up and even with each other and the edges of seams and whatnot, so it's very relaxing. And I think the bust dart is even going to be in the right place so that it fits correctly, which is kind of amazing.

23 hours ago, sylph said:

The house is cool...ish but humid and stuffy. Since the lows have been in the 80F range for about a week, it gets no break and the heat load just doesn't dissipate. At least, I hope that's the case and it's not about to conk out on us. We've still got a good 6-8 weeks of 'summer' weather to deal with and down here you need AC to survive.

Well... yeah.

AC died yesterday afternoon sometime

Repair guy won't be here until tomorrow and who knows how long it'll take to get parts/repair since the whole area is in a heat wave at the moment.

It's currently 80F with 96% humidity outside. Inside, it is 84F and 60% humidity. So, the windows will not be getting opened. We've got various fans rigged around to make life slightly less miserable.

High today is supposed to be 95F. Tomorrow it will be 'cooler' at 90F. The pool is currently 92F.

Send good repair vibes.

1 hour ago, sylph said:

AC died

I was concerned when you said it had been running non-stop.  That's rough on the compressor.  Good repair vibes sent.

KBO. - Churchill

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

I was concerned when you said it had been running non-stop.  That's rough on the compressor.  Good repair vibes sent.

Different company called back and was able to come look at it this morning. YAY!

Fortunately, they were able to get us up and running temporarily while they source parts.

Unfortunately, this is not a small problem. There's a leak in the coil and a dead capacitor.

Fortunately, the capacitor was an easy fix.

Unfortunately, the leak will be more difficult.

Fortunately, it looks like we can probably get this in under warranty, so maybe it won't be a zillion dollars?

The upshot is, it's running for now, so we're cooling off while we can. Still need good vibes that the parts are readily available and that the warranty claim isn't a problem. The cats have begun to re-solidify from their melted state.