sylph checks in and chills out

On 8/17/2023 at 8:05 AM, sylph said:

Temp A/C fix is still holding. Hoping the repair folks will call this morning with an update. If I don't hear from them by about 10a, I'll probably ping them to check in.

Soooo... the part we need is (and I quote) "on MASSIVE backorder" and there is no estimate for a date when it will be available.

When I got this update, the temp fix was still holding and the repair guy thought it would last for about a month, by which time hopefully the part would be available and if not, he could come re-do the fix and we'd just be in an intermittent time loop while we waited. Fine

Except a few hours later, the fix was not doing so well and while it's still kind of working, it's not nearly as good as it was and will result in more strain on the system and a higher energy bill, neither of which are good things. Left a message to that effect and have not yet heard back.

I don't want to be the PITA client, but waiting for an indeterminant period of time with him coming to patch things up every 2-3 days doesn't seem like a good solution either. We'll have to figure something else out.

Edit: At least for now, the house is a livable temperature. It was cooler (relatively), rainy, and cloudy yesterday which helped. The BIG heatwave seems to have broken so now it's getting below 80F at night and only around 92F in the day for the next week and a half, so that's good at least.

I hate uncertainty, waiting, not knowing, and just having this LOOM without discernible end. It's making both hubs and I cranky.

AC is repaired and my house is a normal human temperature again.

I got an amazing night of sleep last night and a huge weight is off my shoulders.

Today

Get to the post office

Fold laundry--did a couple loads last night once the AC was running (so I wasn't adding heat/humidity load to an already too-warm house) but didn't have time to fly

Yardwork--hubs is going to mow, as long as it doesn't rain, so I'll need to bust out the string trimmer. Also, there are a SHITTON of weeds and nonsense in our mulch beds and growing between our driveway pavers.

Hubs is due for a haircut

I also need to dye my own hair, but that will perhaps be tomorrow's task.

The grommets and lacing for my sewing project are supposed to arrive tomorrow, so perhaps I can work on that over the weekend. I do still need to figure out the button/toggles as well. Now that the room with my sewing machine in it isn't going to automatically be 95 degrees, I can probably spend some time on that.

9 minutes ago, sylph said:

dye my own hair

What color are we going with?

Level 48 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

there's a hurricane coming, I'm supposed to have pre-holiday-weekend plans that cannot be changed or cancelled and so now I am super annoyed and waiting for this stupid storm to just get through here already so I can keep to my regularly scheduled programming.

This is the ONE week in about THREE YEARS that we've had plans for something like this and THIS is the week it chooses to have a big ass hurricane meandering around the Gulf.

Pardon me, I'll be over here flipping off Mother Nature for the next three days.

This hurricane is the slowest effing storm in the entire universe, I swear.

On the plus side, the NHC moved the cone north and west over night, so some evidence that things could be less intense here than I thought yesterday. Of course, hurricanes can do whatever TF they want, so it's not really any consolation.

What is consolation is that we got 95% of our prep done yesterday:

Outdoor furniture moved indoors or otherwise secured

garage shifted about so I can pull my truck in later today

hubs strapped down the cover on the well

water jugs filled

freezer filled with containers of water both for later drinking if necessary and to help keep the freezer cold when the power goes out

Not much left to do but wait

18 minutes ago, sylph said:

This hurricane is the slowest effing storm in the entire universe, I swear.

On the plus side, the NHC moved the cone north and west over night, so some evidence that things could be less intense here than I thought yesterday. Of course, hurricanes can do whatever TF they want, so it's not really any consolation.

What is consolation is that we got 95% of our prep done yesterday:

Outdoor furniture moved indoors or otherwise secured

garage shifted about so I can pull my truck in later today

hubs strapped down the cover on the well

water jugs filled

freezer filled with containers of water both for later drinking if necessary and to help keep the freezer cold when the power goes out

Not much left to do but wait

I hope that the impact is minimal for you.

Level 48 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill