obax makes a challenge

Oy vey... 1st day back and I'm exhausted... I want my Muskoka chair back...

Forgot to figure out my game last night, but I still did the workout today. I kept it real light, and will probably increase reps next time. The goal reps for the program I'm sort of working from are a bit ridiculous (3x50 glute bridges??), but I'm going to work towards them and see where I get. I've never done anything volume-y before, so we'll see how I like it. Today's workout was as follows: 3x10 each of incline pushups, air squats, glute bridges, 1-leg RDLs (this last one will get added every time, not just for this workout), plus some calf stretching.

The alternate workout is 3x10 each of ring rows (if I can find all the necessary equipment), some form of leg raise/V-sit type thing (I'll have to explore the variations on the website and also see what I am capable of doing), and some twist holds, plus the RDLs and stretching. I'm just going to go back and forth between these two for at least 4 days a week (probably work days, which change from week to week), with the intent to get out for a couple of walks on my days off, weather permitting.

In other news, I've decided to try to dip my toe back into DMing, my first try was fun but overwhelming, so I'm trying to make it a little more manageable by doing what I probably should have done in the first place and run the starter set adventure The Lost Mines of Phandelver (or however you spell it, I might change the name just to make it easier to say). I'm going to try not to mess with the published adventure too much, though that will take some restraint on my part, and it's contingent on me finding enough players, I've got 2 so far and would like 3-4 (I'd maybe try to run it for 2 if I can't get anyone else to bite, but I sort of did that before and the balancing is real finicky. Maybe with a published adventure and 2 actual players instead of 1 + a DMPC it wouldn't be as bad).

Might actually do some reading tonight, I don't read nearly as much as I used to and I started a series while I was at the cottage that has piqued my interest. I want to catch up on the latest Critical Role episodes but if I start that I'm in it for the long haul and I probably shouldn't be up that late (not that going to bed on time means I'll get to sleep on time).

OH! I just remembered the new Worlds Beyond Number should have been released today, in which case that will be the rest of my evening, but otherwise I'll try to read.

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

3 minutes ago, obax said:

it's contingent on me finding enough players, I've got 2 so far and would like 3-4 (I'd maybe try to run it for 2 if I can't get anyone else to bite, but I sort of did that before and the balancing is real finicky. Maybe with a published adventure and 2 actual players instead of 1 + a DMPC it wouldn't be as bad).

2 players are doable, though might require tweaking encounters a little for balance, but sidekicks might be another option worth exploring. I played aroubd with it during my solo d&d foray, and it worked pretty well as far as giving my character some much needed backup without all the trouble of piloting 2 characters.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Just now, Artemis Prime said:

2 players are doable, though might require tweaking encounters a little for balance, but sidekicks might be another option worth exploring. I played aroubd with it during my solo d&d foray, and it worked pretty well as far as giving my character some much needed backup without all the trouble of piloting 2 characters.

One of the players is the person I played 1-on-1 with and she wasn't down for running her own sidekick, which is why I ran the DMPC. If they each run their own character and I can just run the NPCs/badguys, I think that'll be more manageable for me and I'd be willing to try. I did sort of get the hang-ish of adjusting encounters for a party of 2, and I'm fine fudging it a bit if I need to. The 2 players I have don't know each other at all, however, and I don't know if they're going to want to stare awkwardly at one another without a few other players to hide behind, so we'll see.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I still haven't gotten the game set up, but I still did a workout-ish.

I was way too lazy to dig around in the crawlspace for the things for ring rows, so I figured I'd just do more incline pushups for now and save the properly effortful things for the weekend, but then I was way more sore than I realized, so I cut that short. And the leg raises hurt my back, which has been touchy off and on for some time, somewhat unexpectedly, so I cut that short also. I did more RDLs (3x10) and some open books (3x10) and called it good. It's a bit of a cop-out, but I still did a thing, even if it wasn't all of the thing, so it'll do for now.

I've been doing ok the last couple of days with work lunches, I took my own on Tuesday (and was low key hungry all day even though I ate it all way sooner than I intended) and got healthy-ish takeout today (and was not hungry all day until it was the proper time to become hungry again, which is really not helping my motivation to make my own lunches...)

Not sure what I want to do with the rest of my evening. The new episode of Worlds Beyond Number is still not out yet, but I might re-listen to the last one. I'm not feeling very focused so that might be a good option

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Still no game, but I'm more or less still doing the thing, so I'm not too fussed.

By 'more or less', I mean I didn't do the things on Thursday due to a physio appointment right after work, I was both short on time and sore afterwards, and this is fine. Friday I completely forgot I ever said I'd do any thing of any kind, I was so exhausted, and just watched TikTok videos until it was time for D&D, in which we did not die, though I thought for sure we would.

Decent sleep last night has given me all the energy today, but none of the focus (I so rarely have both). Managed to do some things anyway: made cookies; ate decently; cleaned dishes x2, put away dishes x1; 3x12 of incline pushups, 1-leg RDLs, thread the needles; stretches of various kinds.

Might see if I can twist a friend's arm into coming on a walk with me tomorrow. I have a podcast as a backup distraction for the tortuous activity that is walking from A to B and back again, but I do better with a buddy, because I will never let someone else down, but will always let myself down. I also have hockey tomorrow, so if I get lazy I will still be doing a thing of some kind.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge