Ye Olde Challengers' Tavern: General Chat

On 9/5/2023 at 8:43 AM, TimovieMan said:

Hi, guys!

Barkeep, coffee please. Klatchian.

That's the Wind Rose version! 🤘

Saw them live last month. 😁

The ONLY thing better than metal is NERD METAL!

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 3

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

On 9/7/2023 at 3:31 AM, Sovalis said:

I'll take an Earl Grey tea with Disaronno, please! 

Well this has blown my mind. The only question is can I bring myself to buy an entire bottle of Disaronna just to try it out?

Actually, that's not the only question. Hot or cold?

• Haha 4

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

On 9/6/2023 at 11:39 PM, Sovalis said:

It's lovely together, I promise. It's a common item for after dinner hot dessert drinks up here, often called "Blueberry Tea" which is wild because there are no blueberries. 

The blueberry tea angle doesn't sound very appetizing, but those flavours are basically citrus and almond, yes? Kind of a classic dessert flavor pairing. (As long as you're not one of the people to whom Earl Grey just tastes like perfume. Probably not even almond can make eau de cologne taste good.)

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

35 minutes ago, Jarric said:

Well this has blown my mind. The only question is can I bring myself to buy an entire bottle of Disaronna just to try it out?

Actually, that's not the only question. Hot or cold?

I've only had it hot, but now I want to try it cold to see if I like it!

• Like 2

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

The ONLY thing better than metal is NERD METAL!

Ahem. There are rules about mentioning Nerd Metal and then not posting a link to a Gloryhammer video...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • That's Metal 3

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

Ahem. There are rules about mentioning Nerd Metal and then not posting a link to a Gloryhammer video...

Forgive me, Lady Scaly.

shenmue-shenmue-my-apologies.gif

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

I found a MIDI of Angus McFife! I can convert it to an .abc and have my character play it in-game in my MMO!

Happy Happiness GIF by Nickelodeon

Yes, emphasis is on the first word in the genre name :D 

• That's Metal 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

2 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Let us not forget the origin of Nerd Metal:

This one doesn't directly reference LOTR, but it's about Plant's dog named Strider:

• That's Metal 6

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

37 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Let us not forget the origin of Nerd Metal:

Quite right. We must honor the giants whose shoulders we rest on.

• Like 4

We are also doing old school Nerd Metal:

And, of course, in compliance with The Rules:

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 5

He-Who-Saw-Gloryhammer-Live-Last-Month-As-Well-As-Killswitch-Engage's-Holy-Diver-Cover (aka me) approves! 🤘

I call your Gloryhammer and raise you a NerdFitness-fitting Alestorm parody:

And let's not forget that former Gloryhammer singer Angus McFife Thomas Winkler now has a new band...

Angus McSIX 😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • That's Metal 1

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

Hello dear fellow nerds, I hope you are all well. I've been wanting to come back for a while, and almost didn't when I heard my gran passed away last night. But I figure nobody here would mind me sitting silently at the end of the bar to drink an apple cider while entirely overdressed, as she would always be. ❤️ 

• Like 4
  • Sad 10

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

38 minutes ago, Renate said:

Hello dear fellow nerds, I hope you are all well. I've been wanting to come back for a while, and almost didn't when I heard my gran passed away last night. But I figure nobody here would mind me sitting silently at the end of the bar to drink an apple cider while entirely overdressed, as she would always be. ❤️ 

Mind? Never. If it's company you'd like, happy to share a drink with you. Otherwise, I'll give you a friendly nod and raise my glass in your direction and let you be. I am sorry for your loss.

Welcome back. 

• Like 3

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

1 hour ago, Renate said:

Welcome back! Sorry about your gran.

• Thanks 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

2 hours ago, Renate said:

*raises his glass*

Sorry for your loss. Lost my gramps near six years ago. Toughest moment of my life, like losing a part of myself. You're welcome here amongst other soul-weary travelers.

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Renate said:

Cheers to the memory of gran, may the best of her live on within you 💜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

@shaar

BY THE POWER OF THE DOOT, YOU HAVE BEEN SUMMONED

OH LAWDAMERCY 

I am currently deep within the haunted New England Mountains of Mysterious Happenings BUT! Once the spirits of my ancestors release me I shall have stories to spin

Or just stories to tell of the locals I overheard walking to the Sunday night bowling league….

Either way!! Doot doot heheheheh~ 

• Like 5

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

20 minutes ago, shaar said:

OH LAWDAMERCY 

I am currently deep within the haunted New England Mountains of Mysterious Happenings BUT! Once the spirits of my ancestors release me I shall have stories to spin

Or just stories to tell of the locals I overheard walking to the Sunday night bowling league….

Either way!! Doot doot heheheheh~ 

Skeleton War Reaction GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

5 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Mind? Never. If it's company you'd like, happy to share a drink with you.

Oh, for sure. Let's talk about bits and bobs and sing along any song that comes up as best as we can, clink!

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Cheers to the memory of gran, may the best of her live on within you 💜

What an amazing wish, thank you so much, Snarky ❤️ 

• Like 6

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

44 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

I will argue that this is the superior Diver

That's debatable, imo. 😇

Ronnie James Dio had one of the best metal voices of all time... 🤘

• That's Metal 2

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

9 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I will argue that this is the superior Diver

While that is an outstanding cover, I feel like this is a little bit like arguing over whether Star Wars or Star Trek is better. Real nerds appreciate both for reasons that make them both different and unique.

Though I will refuse to budge when it comes to the greatness of Ronny James Dio. 

• Like 3