Heidi: Fortitude

Oh, holy moly. 

I;m glad I had already planned on resting.

I’m not certain where it came from ,b it as I was making tea, my joints started to feel sore and now every bone in my body actively aches and I’m using every heating pad or neck wrap or rice sock that I own to get some relief. Ooof.

• Sad 5

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Sending you a Care Bear Stare full of love and healing. Also curious about what's going on, but I'll leave divulging to your discretion. I do wish (just a little) that I was still at the shop just so our Monday chats were still easy to arrange. If an earlier morning chat works for you, let me know! 💜

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

A trial is a great way to mentally process the situation. It is an obstacle to overcome, not an error on your part. I am glad your chat was able to shed a little of the worry from your shoulders. The Universe shall work in the way it does to bring us where it deems us necessary at the exact timing it requires. I hope you can find peace and comfort in knowing that you are doing your best and the rest is out of your hands for the time being. There are, indeed, no enemies.

Sending a little extra love and restoration energy - not just for the situation, but for your body and mind as well. We all could use a little extra once in awhile 💜I don't mind sharing. I hope you are able to get some rest to overcome this sudden onset of pain

• Like 1

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

11 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Sending you a Care Bear Stare full of love and healing. Also curious about what's going on, but I'll leave divulging to your discretion. I do wish (just a little) that I was still at the shop just so our Monday chats were still easy to arrange. If an earlier morning chat works for you, let me know! 💜

See below. In fact, for the last few days, I was uncertain what was going on, and needed clarity to make sure I wasn't panicking from a space of fear, which can happen.

Yes, I miss our Mondays too!

Earlier can work for me, usually on Thursdays, like around 10 Eastern. Let me know if that works, and if it doesn't, we'll keep talking until we find the right window. ❤️ 

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sorry about The Academic Situation. I hope it all plays out ok. I can't imagine what you are going through right now.

Yep, it's awful. Details below.

3 hours ago, Darciana said:

A trial is a great way to mentally process the situation. It is an obstacle to overcome, not an error on your part. I am glad your chat was able to shed a little of the worry from your shoulders. The Universe shall work in the way it does to bring us where it deems us necessary at the exact timing it requires. I hope you can find peace and comfort in knowing that you are doing your best and the rest is out of your hands for the time being. There are, indeed, no enemies.

Sending a little extra love and restoration energy - not just for the situation, but for your body and mind as well. We all could use a little extra once in awhile 💜I don't mind sharing. I hope you are able to get some rest to overcome this sudden onset of pain

Thank you for the resotration energy boost! ❤️ 

Friends, I'm being accused of cheating.

This is so outlandish in general that it was hard to parse, and the professor making the accusation (not, curiously enough, The Pedant) has had zero communication with me about this issue beyond saying that I've violated the policy on academic integrity and need to meet with her and the Dean. Alice down the rabbit hole, indeed. The situation gets all the curiouser when the assignement in question is an annotated bibliography, which, by design, is nothing but sources and quotes from those sources. There is, in fact, nothing in the way of the student's own work; it's a curated list of quotes, appearing under the source citation, highlighting  how these sources fit in the research project, lightly edited for clarity, with notes to self to be used as a tool for creating the project.  It is, in short, a tool. I'd never even heard of one until a few terms ago. I am very familiar with the idea, though; I call them "reading notes." The whole thing is absolutely disorienting and in the absolute worst possible outcome could result in my expulsion from the University altogether.

I suspect that what happened is that TurnItIn, which is integrated into Canvas, popped a huge "definitely cheating" score, since I used a lot of quotes from the sources I identified. I'm like that. The lack of communication is unsettling. The lack of transparency for the process is frustrating. That I have my chair saying he knows in his core that I am in no way trying to shortchange the scholariship has been very helpful to smoothing my soul. I don't know what lies ahead beyond Friday afternoon, since the professor refuses to communicate with me, and that's unfortunate, but this is where we are.

It's a trial.

Healthwise, the aches got worse over the evening, and I ended up taking a large dose of Tylenol, which helped me sleep even if it didn't help with the aches and pains. This was good and necessary. I woke up with a sore throat and stuffy head and it's probably time to take a covid test. I probably got exposed on the Amtrak home. 

I made tea and Ubered to the Teacher Conference that the guidnace counselor set up for me. It was a really good meeting, and I'm very glad I went. While so much else is going badly, Vivian's school continues to be a bright spot for her, especially band. The Assistant principal has been in charge of this group since Vivian started a couple years ago, and it was nice to have the continuity and hear her confirm that she has seen so much personal growth in Vivian, acknowledging that there were some concerns at the start of 6th grade and that she has really blossomed since. She also believes that Vivian's growth has been tremendously facilitated by band, and she's really pleased with how easily Vivian seems to have friends and has a small friends group at lunch and the like. This warmed my heart, and also the teachers were surprised to hear that she's only 12. Each one said that if we hadn't mentioned it they would never have known. Her English teacher kind of adores her, by the way, since reading is Vivian's favorite thing and the teacher sometimes has to ask Vivian to put the book down. When she told me about it, we were laughing becuase, as the teacher said, "I can't believe I'm asking a student to stop reading!" We all felt the same way.  This is good. It was a good meeting and I let them know that I'd check back in again arond February or March. We all left saying please email any time.

I Ubered back to the loft. My throat by that point was kind of raw, and I'm glad I don't have to talk at work.

It's time for tea and a covid test.

• Wow 2
  • Angry on your Behalf 6

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Your academic situation sounds downright awful and unsettling, therefore my react. Especially about the whole point of the assignment being to copy others work with citations of those works, which I have no doubt in my mind you did diligently. I hope that it is resolved quickly and peacefully - if you cannot do anything but wait until Friday about this situation then release as much as your mind will allow until then. You cannot worry much about what you can do nothing about - it is best to focus on what you can do in the moment to keep you busy and your mind off the negativity swirling about. It is not healthy and we need you to be healthy! Particularly with the sickness situation. I do hope it's nothing serious and you can quickly recover from it. Easier said than done, I fear, but it must be said or I'd be an awful friend.

I am glad to hear about Vivian's progress and how delighted the school is with her. Band was a saving grace for myself so I'm glad to know it's a positive impact for others. I also had the problem of reading too much. My mom always had to yell at me to turn off my nightlight and stop reading hours after bedtime as a child because I'd stay up all night reading if left unchecked. She is a wise girl being stuck in books. Knowledge and creativity are powerful weapons to wield.

• Like 3

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

26 minutes ago, Darciana said:

Knowledge and creativity are powerful weapons to wield.

*HighFive*

Yep, I have Covid. Now I have to notify the Whole Land.

My mind and soul are at ease about waiting until Friday for more to be revealed.

This is the Way.

• Sad 5

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Enough about being sick and trials and stuff: back to the schoolwork updates!

I did a survey of the landscape of the discussion posts, and apparently I dreamed posting during a couple weeks. I was missing posts for weeks 6 and 7 in Ethics class; we are now in Week 8, so those posts were due too (two posts and one reply per week). I posted two for week 7 and a reply, and made one post and a reply for week 8. I'm all caught up in Reserch class for the moment, and I have until the end of the week to make a post and reply for Public LIbraies. Other than that, I'm working on putting together a scaffold for the Literature Review that is due the 22nd for Research. That professor allows a single 7 day extension for any project, no questions asked, and I might make use of it for this.  I'm hesitant to kick anything down the road, since I have something due (in addition to the discussion posts) each week and a couple weeks with two things due. This is the Way of Grad School, and I'm okay with it, but the only way to be able to maintain the pace is to just turn things in when they are needed; piling them up becomes problematic very quickly. Also, over Thanksgiving Break, I plan on doing as much as possible on the December Projects -- I'd like to turn them in early and give myself a bit of a respite.

The next Committee meeting is 11/27. I'd really like to have everything wrapped up and turned in by then.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 3

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

o m g

what the actual??

how is it the last week of the challenge already?

• Like 5

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

10 minutes ago, Heidi said:

o m g

what the actual??

how is it the last week of the challenge already?

I had a similar reaction. It's baffling that my birthday has come and gone and October is already nearly halfway over. Please, time, slow down!

• Like 3

Wow, your uncommunicative prof sounds like such a problem. I am so sorry. I hope that Friday goes you way and you can rest and recover until then. Boo Covid!!

10 Eastern is 8 am my time and that works for me. You let me know when you are feeling better and we will hang out. 💜

• Like 2

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Heidi said:

What. The. FUCK😡

9 hours ago, Heidi said:

The lack of communication is unsettling. The lack of transparency for the process is frustrating. That I have my chair saying he knows in his core that I am in no way trying to shortchange the scholariship has been very helpful to smoothing my soul. I don't know what lies ahead beyond Friday afternoon, since the professor refuses to communicate with me, and that's unfortunate, but this is where we are.

Speculation: The professor who accused you has realized they made a mistake and is avoiding you for as long as they can. If not.... well... sending thoughts and positive energy your way, in anticipation of Friday.

Good luck with the plague and may it leave you soon!

• Like 6

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

23 hours ago, Heidi said:

What the.... And for that sort of assignment!? That seems so ridiculous. Fingers crossed for you 🤞. I hope it all goes smoothly and in your favor. If not, surely there is some sort of appeal process you can pursue in worst case scenario? Some sort of student advocate you could contact? IDK,  Best of luck. 😕

• Like 1

Challenges: 1st [B-], 2nd [NA], (6 years away),  3rd[A-], 4th [B-], 5th [C], 6th [Current]
Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet)

"Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
(Don't wait for the ideal circumstances, get to work NOW)

The most important step a man can take. It's not the first one, is it? It's the next one. Always the next step.

18 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That sounds ridiculous re the academic situation. 

100%.

15 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Wow, your uncommunicative prof sounds like such a problem. I am so sorry. I hope that Friday goes you way and you can rest and recover until then. Boo Covid!!

Such a problem!!

Let's try for next next Thursday (the 26th) at 10 -- I've got  and MRI next week.

It's on my calendar and can adjust if needed.  :) 

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

What. The. FUCK😡

Speculation: The professor who accused you has realized they made a mistake and is avoiding you for as long as they can. If not.... well... sending thoughts and positive energy your way, in anticipation of Friday.

I think you've hit on the unseen element: there is definitely ego and a particular type of personality in this:

there will be blood film GIF

I'd say it's a gift I have in finding it, but I think it's simply pervasive in the Academy, and most folks understandably crumble when they encounter it.

I'm not most people.

1 hour ago, Kalitraz said:

What the.... And for that sort of assignment!? That seems so ridiculous. Fingers crossed for you 🤞. I hope it all goes smoothly and in your favor. If not, surely there is some sort of appeal process you can pursue in worst case scenario? Some sort of student advocate you could contact? IDK,  Best of luck. 😕

Agreed.

My focus is to go in with willingness and the hope taht we can achieve some clarity and build an instructional relationship. 

I am stuffy-headed and underwhelmed, but otherwise okay.

I'm not certain, but I think I might have left my headphones on the train at the Roanoke station. I have submitted a lost items report. A replacement is pricey, but if the old favorites don't materialize soon, i'll need to get a new set.

Also, I'm retooling my research to focus less directly on libraries and focus on the impact of book bans to the educaitonal landscape from a moral viewpoint (what should educational policy be, etc).  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Like 2 pages later and I’m still baffled about the academic tomfoolery. 

YOU. 
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Taking the academically easy road.

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

The Academically REMOTELY EASY ROAD

Season 1 Lol GIF by NBC

Let alone actually DOING SOMETHING KNOWINGLY DISHONEST?!

Danny Brown Laughing GIF by DANNY'S HOUSE

What. The. Absolute. Fuck?! 

Not to mention the nature of the assignment 

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

I can’t even with this bullshit

• That's Metal 4

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

17 hours ago, Darciana said:

I hope you're feeling better soon and your favorite headphones are returned to you

Still no signs of the headphones, sadly.

I'm stuffy headed but not suffering -- I'll take that as a plus. 🙂

16 hours ago, Mistr said:

I hope everything works out well for you with your review. Between that and Covid, you have a bunch of stress you don't need.

Remember that persistent fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of Covid. Allow extra time for rest for the next month at least.

This is a good reminder.

I think rest is the only thing helping right now! Well, rest and tea. 🫖

6 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Like 2 pages later and I’m still baffled about the academic tomfoolery. 

YOU. 
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Taking the academically easy road.

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

The Academically REMOTELY EASY ROAD

Season 1 Lol GIF by NBC

Let alone actually DOING SOMETHING KNOWINGLY DISHONEST?!

Danny Brown Laughing GIF by DANNY'S HOUSE

What. The. Absolute. Fuck?! 

Not to mention the nature of the assignment 

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

I can’t even with this bullshit

This. 

Every professor I have had and every person who has known me for more than five minutes is having this exact progression of emotions. You especially stuck the landing landing on the But How the What the How?

I'm armed with tea and the Truth, and I'm going into the review this afternoon with the spirit of all of you. I've walked through the Druid's Dark; no matter what comes today, all will be well.

❣️

• That's Metal 7

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

1 hour ago, Heidi said:

Still no signs of the headphones, sadly.

I'm stuffy headed but not suffering -- I'll take that as a plus. 🙂

This is a good reminder.

I think rest is the only thing helping right now! Well, rest and tea. 🫖

This. 

Every professor I have had and every person who has known me for more than five minutes is having this exact progression of emotions. You especially stuck the landing landing on the But How the What the How?

I'm armed with tea and the Truth, and I'm going into the review this afternoon with the spirit of all of you. I've walked through the Druid's Dark; no matter what comes today, all will be well.

❣️

Truth surround you, and may it's light shine on the darkness of lies.

• Thanks 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Sending you good juju for this afternoon!

Han Solo Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

• Thanks 1

Challenges: 1st [B-], 2nd [NA], (6 years away),  3rd[A-], 4th [B-], 5th [C], 6th [Current]
Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet)

"Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
(Don't wait for the ideal circumstances, get to work NOW)

The most important step a man can take. It's not the first one, is it? It's the next one. Always the next step.

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Truth surround you, and may it's light shine on the darkness of lies.

21 minutes ago, Kalitraz said:

Sending you good juju for this afternoon!

Han Solo Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

Well it was blisteringly brief. I listened, then when it was my turn, I acknowledged that I apparently thought my citations were understood, and had misunderstood the assignment. I thought that would be the introduction to the conversation, but it was apparently the end. The Dean said I had admitted to unintentional plagiarism by not using quote marks and she'd contact the registrar to see if any other complaints had been made, and I'd get a zero on the assignment and other consequences as deemed necessary would be outlined in a letter that I'll receive in the next seven days. 

*Blink*

Okay, y'all.

The dean was clearly ready to jet, but the Prof got accusatory and said "if you really thought this was a tool, how would you know which words weren't yours when you use them for the project?" I ignored her gotcha tone and replied quite genuinely "Well it's simple: none of the words are mine. "

The dean said a few words about me doing better in future assignments and in my future coursework, so I guess I'm not expelled. 

Looks like I have to do my homework after all.

• Wow 6

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

All of that madness for.....that....?!

Ridiculous. I'm glad you're not expelled and it wasn't a terrible battle but that seems so ridiculously..... silly. My head hurts trying to wrap my head around how in the world that is plagiarism at all given what you've shared about the assignment and the outcome...

It is over. The past is done, there is nothing more with which to change it. Only present actions and future hopes remain to pull you through to the end goal. I send a little energy hug for you to use however you need to bounce back 💜

• Like 1

Huh, I hope you wore boots while dealing with that massive amount of Bullshit. Sounds like the Prof needs a colorectal surgeon to help her remove some sticks that are where they shouldn't be.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sounds like the Prof needs a colorectal surgeon to help her remove some sticks that are where they shouldn't be.

It's actually impressive she was able to make those sticks fit, what with her head being firmly stuck there already...

• Haha 4

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49