Ever's Sleepy Souptember Spectacular

[Placeholder for goals to follow]

I don't want to post my goals until after I get back from vacation or I will feel guilty about not following them while on vacation.   Because that's how I roll.  In the meantime....

Winnie The Pooh Disney GIF

(Soon)

Autumn Leaves Fall GIF

Happy Fall Season GIF by Takko Fashion

Winnie The Pooh Fall GIF

ETA:

I want to really focus on slaying the sugar demon this challenge, especially because this is the last challenge before the holidays hit with a vengeance.  I would like to be able to enjoy holiday treats with moderation.  Last challenge, I made a small step in this direction by limiting (or attempting to limit) the size of the sweets I eat.  This was not a co.plete success, but I think there was progress made here.  I also made some observations about what factors contributed to fail days.  This challenge will be addressing some of those challenges.

Primary goal:  Substitute fruit or yogurt for dessert 5 days a week.  Desserts, when eaten, must be patisserie-sized. 

Hopefully allowing some treats will keep me from imploding, especially in the event of special events.

Obstacle #1: Fatigue

39c3qo.jpg.a225062f2aaf48f4c9bebe6956aece72.jpg

All too often I stay up much too late reading.  It used to be less of an issue because as a homeschool mom, I set my own schedule and don't have to be up particularly early.  Enter The Change™️.  For no good reason whatsoever, I am now having difficulty staying asleep past 6:30 or so, no matter how much or little sleep I have acquired by this hour.   

The build up of fatigue tends to spill over into binging on food, especially sweets, to find energy to cope with the sleep deprivation. 

Therefore, I am setting a bedtime of 9:55 to help me get sufficient rest.

Obstacle #2: Hydration

I noticed a couple episodes last challenge when I felt compelled to eat, but the feeling went away if I had something to drink instead.  I know that I chronically under-hydrate, so I want to set some goals to help me hydrate properly throughout the day.

a)  Drink 12oz of water every morning before coffee.  Before coffee.

b) Make a broth-based soup at least once a week.  Stews, chilis, and other soup-adjacent dishes count as long as they are broth-based and not cream.  I can eat cream soups, they just don't count for my scoring.  This generally should result in eating soup 3-4 days a week, since I make a lot more than I can eat in one sitting.  It also has the benefit of being quite satisfying for little calories, incorporate more veggies in my diet, and is hydrating!

c) Enjoy a cup of herbal or spiced tea before bed, preferably outside as weather permits.  I find it grounding to relax outside in the evening.  It reduces stress and helps me avoid the general evening munchies tradition in my family.

istockphoto-688447668-612x612.jpg.d789d1ff4e66160a14d0d52313495fd5.jpg

I was going to add more, but I think that's enough to start with.  Too many moving parts tends to overwhelm.  Happy challenge!

• Like 10

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

giphy.gif 

Happy vacationizing! 

• Like 1

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

Oh, what lovely gifs 😍 Enjoy the vacation, it's been well-earned!

• Like 1

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece Tackles Third Trimester

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

On 9/4/2023 at 3:05 PM, XBlackWidowX said:

Have fun on your holiday :)

23 hours ago, Gemma said:

giphy.gif 

Happy vacationizing! 

18 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

You had me at soup. Following along. Enjoy your vacation!

7 hours ago, kcaleece said:

Oh, what lovely gifs 😍 Enjoy the vacation, it's been well-earned!

20230905_145630.thumb.jpg.474c303f9c075a382a3dfcc5c6a8432b.jpg

Definitely enhoying summer's last huzzah!

23 hours ago, Kishi said:

Fall Autumn GIF by Decorating Outlet

Cozy GIF

21 hours ago, Grizzy said:

Lovely fall vibes. Can't believe fall is almost here!

So excited!  Fall is my favoritest. 

• Like 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Have an amazing holiday. Can't wait to hear about it when you are back. ❤️ 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 9/5/2023 at 10:43 PM, Sovalis said:

Have an amazing holiday. Can't wait to hear about it when you are back. ❤️ 

We had a few minor hurdles to overcome on the trip (items we forgot to pack, the room's air conditioning was struggling to keep up and we had to switch rooms, etc) but over all the trip was really nice.  The first full day we just enjoyed the beach, first letting the boys wear themselves out in the waves, and then my husband and I got to enjoy some drinks and watch the waves while the kids chilled in the room.  (They are both teenagers).  We spotted a stingray leaping out of the surf and a pod of dolphins.  I got pictures of the dolphins...kind of.  They are very far away and tiny.  Day two we took the boys to their favorite arcade and wandered the boardwalk buying ice cream and jerky and whatever else seemed like a good idea at the time.

The last day we visited the beach one last time, did some shopping at the outlet mall, and drove home.  We're all pleasantly tired and happy to be home.

An evening walk on the Grand Strand:

20230907_205007.thumb.jpg.02389a12ff422bdda857e5cfdb3840da.jpg

I will probably post my goals tomorrow when I have had a good night's sleep.

2 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

img_1_1694125236497.jpg.a5f1b135174587fd092ddd6dbeec9ec1.jpg

Wishing you good vacation vibes. Here's a linguist thing that made me laugh and think of you. 😉

Haha that is funny...and reminds me of a college course I took once upon a time in which we read Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in the original Middle English.  It was remarkably like learning a foreign language, since even recognizable words were pronounced entirely differently. 

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Great goals! I will join you in the brothy soups and spiced tea!

• Like 1

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Great goals! I will join you in the brothy soups and spiced tea!

Tea party!

5 hours ago, Kishi said:

I hear you on yogurt/fruit for dessert! I've found some satisfying substitutions also in using cool whip with mascarpone as a cream base along with fruit; presently, blueberries are my favorite. Have fun!

Ooh, that sounds delicious.  I wonder if I can find marscapone around here 🤔 

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

I had a particularly nice day today.  I experimented with making yogurt for the first time ever.  Since I don't own a fancy yogurt-maker, I tried a recipe I had seen online for making it in a slow cooker overnight.  Unfortunately, I overestimated my slow cooker, so it put me past my assigned bedtime by about 30 minutes trying to get the milk to the requisite temperature.  However, I woke up to fresh homemade yogurt!  I may tweak the recipe a bit in the future, but it was pretty good for a first batch.  I ate a serving with coffee and tartine* with apricot preserves and felt very French indeed.

*Tartine is basically toast.  I made mine with homemade rosemary focaccia when it should be with baguette, but desperate times call for desperate -- but delicious -- measures.

Afterwards I went shopping and found clothes. 

That I liked. 

And fit. 

And I could afford.

What is the world coming to? 

I was also hunting for a leather-bound journal, because journaling is apparently a habit of most successful weight-loss attempts, apparently.   I generally dislike journaling, but I have hopes that a really nice journal with epic-quest vibes would tempt me to write more. 

I found this at the used bookstore and I am in love 😍:

20230909_113407.thumb.jpg.c3d2ea19236ff02f3cedaeb61b23177f.jpg

The pages are pretty thick, so I am cautiously hopeful they could stand up to a little watercolor?  I guess we shall seem

After all the shopping, I came home and made a delicious new recipe for meatball soup with spinach and chickpeas, served with more lembas bread focaccia for lunch.

20230909_124544.thumb.jpg.342f11615ce556dae1602cbaf598ff08.jpg

This afternoon, I went out again to pick my son up from work.  My son, feeling flush from payday, wanted to stop by the store.  While we were there I found some new preserves to try with my tartine: strawberry rhubarb and bacon apple.  The rhubarb is definitely better than the last one I tried.  The other brand put way too much sugar and killed all the glorious tartness that defines rhubarb.  The apple one surprised me with a little heat; it apparently has red pepper flakes in, which makes for an exciting twist.  I just tried a tiny sample of each when I got home, then I stuck to my yogurt in place of dessert after dinner.

And now perhaps I will go write in my awesome journal....

• Like 8
  • That's Metal 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

That's a great journal and those preserves sound delicious!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

I love that journal!

Me toooooo

18 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

That is an ancient spellbook if I ever saw one. 

Right?!? Definitely grimoire vibes.

19 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Also, I need you to take pictures of all my healthy meals so I want to eat them LOL 

😂  Photogenic meals are a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach. 

3 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

That's a great journal and those preserves sound delicious!!

I can't wait to try them with bread! 🥖  It will probably be the last of the focaccia tomorrow.   I started the French bread tonight, but it will never be done in time for breakfast.  The various stages of preparing it will take several hours.

• Like 6

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Yogurt ✔️

Sleep ✔️

Morning water ✔️

Soup ✔️

SereniTea (pending)

So maybe the bacon apple jam did not go as well with rosemary focaccia as the apricot preserves did.  Too many flavors happening, perhaps.  It was fine, just not amazing.  The focaccia is all gone, though, replaced with 4 gorgeous baguettes!

20230910_120801.thumb.jpg.425cd40750ad107b566fd06127b891d3.jpg

I figured out how to shape the loaves without a baguette pan (it involves careful folding of a well-floured tea-towel during the second rise).  I sampled some with soup for lunch.

I ended up doubling down on soup today, as I also made gazpacho to go with dinner!

The soup du jour:

20230910_163424.thumb.jpg.3b272f889f449aa0d3c60187bc52f0c7.jpg

I am loving getting in all these veggies and am definitely feeling well hydrated.

Other than all the baking/soup making, I spent most of the day prepping for the school week and somewhat watching football with my husband. 

It has been too hot and humid to want to sit outside with my evening tea the past few nights, but I think I will try this evening.   It already feels nicer than it has been.

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

On 9/4/2023 at 2:10 PM, Everstorm said:

I am now having difficulty staying asleep past 6:30 or so, no matter how much or little sleep I have acquired by this hour.   

The build up of fatigue tends to spill over into binging on food, especially sweets, to find energy to cope with the sleep deprivation. 

Yep and yep. The seasons determine what time I wake up, and going to bed later doesn't seem to shift it. And when tired, more pick-me-up eating occurs, which is usually sugar, if not alcohol. I wish you sweet, sweet sleep in adequate measure.

On 9/4/2023 at 2:10 PM, Everstorm said:

b) Make a broth-based soup at least once a week.  Stews, chilis, and other soup-adjacent dishes count as long as they are broth-based and not cream.  I can eat cream soups, they just don't count for my scoring.  This generally should result in eating soup 3-4 days a week, since I make a lot more than I can eat in one sitting.  It also has the benefit of being quite satisfying for little calories, incorporate more veggies in my diet, and is hydrating!

Soup soup soup!

On 9/9/2023 at 11:56 PM, Everstorm said:

Afterwards I went shopping and found clothes. 

That I liked. 

And fit. 

And I could afford.

What is the world coming to? 

That is indeed astounding. Can you sweep some of that magic in my direction?

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I wish you sweet, sweet sleep in adequate measure.

Thanks 😁 I have certainly felt better lately, although whether that's the sleep, the extra coffee, or that new challenge smell remains to be determined. 

10 minutes ago, Harriet said:

That is indeed astounding. Can you sweep some of that magic in my direction?

dress better disney princess GIF by Disney

I wonder how many leeks are in the Leaky Leaky Soup? 🤔

• Like 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

22 hours ago, Everstorm said:

So maybe the bacon apple jam did not go as well with rosemary focaccia as the apricot preserves did.  Too many flavors happening, perhaps.  It was fine, just not amazing.  The focaccia is all gone, though, replaced with 4 gorgeous baguettes!

I figured out how to shape the loaves without a baguette pan (it involves careful folding of a well-floured tea-towel during the second rise).  I sampled some with soup for lunch.

*sad puppy dog eyes* You want to share with me, right? What I wouldn't give for a proper baguette...haven't had one in years and the local bakeries are unfortunately only able to produce sad imitations. Why does the Midwest seem to think that baguettes should be bendy???

22 hours ago, Everstorm said:

It has been too hot and humid to want to sit outside with my evening tea the past few nights, but I think I will try this evening.   It already feels nicer than it has been.

It is starting to cool down here too and it has been such a blessing. My husband complained that "it didn't feel like summer anymore" when he went to the neighborhood pool but I told him it's September, it is time to move on! I hope your outside evening tea turns out lovely :) 

• Like 4

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece Tackles Third Trimester

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

4 minutes ago, kcaleece said:

You want to share with me, right? What I wouldn't give for a proper baguette...haven't had one in years and the local bakeries are unfortunately only able to produce sad imitations. Why does the Midwest seem to think that baguettes should be bendy???

I do want to share.  Alas, I live quite some distance from the Midwest and could make no assurances as to the non-bendiness of my baguettes after shipping.

5 minutes ago, kcaleece said:

is starting to cool down here too and it has been such a blessing. My husband complained that "it didn't feel like summer anymore" when he went to the neighborhood pool but I told him it's September, it is time to move on! I hope your outside evening tea turns out lovely :) 

It was still pretty warm at 80°, but --all things being relative -- it wasn't too bad.  I am really looking forward to this weekend when we are expecting a cold front with lows in the upper 50s 😍  That will be lovely tea weather.  And coffee weather.

• Like 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness