Chris-Tien and the Sidetracked Quest

The woods surrounding the enclave were lovely and peaceful, and the hallways in which she was permitted to stroll were equally so, but Chris-Tien found herself restless. While she accepted the need to recover from the days and nights spent in the maze, the paladin was keenly aware of the need to aid the faculty of Strixhaven against the bugbear wizard Murgaxor, who even now could be gathering his strength and materials .... and assistants .... for a deathly ritual deep in the woods of Witherbloom.  

Waiting and recovering were near the bottom of the list of things she wanted to do. But she had little idea of where she actually was located ... and the clerics and monks of the Cobalt Soul had taken her gear.  To repair it, was the excuse they gave .... and Chris had to admit that it had suffered during her latest encounters.  Fighting defensively, to wear out but not maim her ensorcelled friends, the paladin's armor had been dented and scorched to the point of potential failure.  Her current benefactors were currently mending it ... as well as her body .... promising that one of their clerics would be able to teleport her to  Phandalin far faster than she could travel by ship and horse.  Considering the heat that came off the nearby fields, Chris was sure that the journey by normal means would take weeks, if  not months.  The climate here, so warm and dry, suggested that she was far south of Neverwinter.  She just hoped that the cleric would be as good as he thought he was.  

This challenge is a refinement of the previous one, with some changes to the scoring and the return of a map of randomly generated terrain, which will instill some variety to the daily cardio workouts.  The spreadsheet itself  shows the updated scoring items and options.

Since I did not engage and beat my Shadow boss, it is still out there .... skulking and awaiting a chance to strike, having become more powerful during the interim.  10% more hit points.  

Since I beat it on points with such a huge spread, I've tweaked the scoring to try to make it more important that I work on my nutrition goals.   

For fun, since I wanted to try out a solo D & D campaign, I will also be using the Wolves of Langston solo adventure as the basis for this challenge's story.  I also have long wanted to try out a colleague's idea of making a class into a multi-player game .... so I'll be reading that book and thinking about refining the rules for gamifiying fitness and health.  Plus, I'll be paying attention to what a a couple other very creative members of the Rebellion come up with.  😇

• Like 11
  • That's Metal 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

2 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I played around with a little solo D&D

If you have any that you recommend, I'd love to check them out.  

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

Gemma (who has never considered the possibility of solo DnD and has not made time for a group campaign in decades) perks up her ears and googles DM Yourself. 

Color me intrigued. Following. 

• Like 1

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

2 hours ago, Gemma said:

Gemma (who has never considered the possibility of solo DnD and has not made time for a group campaign in decades) perks up her ears and googles DM Yourself. 

Color me intrigued. Following. 

You can go down a pretty deep rabbit hole with Solo D & D :

Plus, if you have one person with whom you can play D & D, there is D & Duet.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Let's see ....

The spreadsheet is set up.  This round might be too hard core, but we'll see how it goes.

The jogging stroller should arrive today, which will help keep the cardio workouts as a daily exercise.  Plus LTL loves walks.

My new jogging shoes should arrive Wednesday.  I'm trying Amazon's try to buy program to test out a newer model of my favorite running shoes.  

And I ordered a new workout shirt:

Old-Lady-Gains-Cool-Grandmas-Black-Halter_1296x.jpg?v=1693059269

My daughter keeps telling me that I am not an "old lady", which I appreciate.  And, there are many more older people who use our new gym; so I don't feel so out of place.  

"I wish," Chris mused to herself as she crested a small hill, "that my intuition was not so often right".  She stood on an unfamiliar dirt road, looking at the unfamiliar stone wall that surrounded the unfamiliar town.  She had no idea where she was, but it was certainly NOT Phandalin.  Whether by accident or by design, the cleric's spell had sent her to the wrong town.   She should probably be happy that she had not ended up somewhere worse.  

Well, there was nothing to do about it right now other than enter and find out the name of the place.  Night was falling and a wolf's howl in the distance made the prospect of a warm meal and a comfortable bed  even more appealing.  Besides, given the obvious prosperity of the place, with its neatly white-washed buildings, she could probably find  transportation  in addition to information.  

• Like 9

Following again!

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger:  Volume One: Wintering, Volume Two: Winter is Passing, Spring is NearThe Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Volume Three: Reborn into Spring, Rhovaniel Batltes the PEWS (late spring challenge)| Volume Four: Strength in Summer|Volume Five: Ambushed in the Archives (current)

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

Chris' musings were interrupted by a rustling in the woods off to one side.  She had suspected that she was being followed for part of the day, but now, at nightfall, the shadow revealed itself as a shaggy, dark wolf with yellow eyes.  

Loosening the sword in her scabbard, Chris realized that the beast was not alone.  Several more golden eyes appeared under the trees.  The paladin didn't like the odds of facing an
entire wolf pack.  Backing slowly toward the town gates, she considered her options .... and decided to chance the sprint toward the safety of the sturdy stone walls. 

No sooner than she had rounded a slight bend in the road, Chris nearly tripped over a red-bearded dwarf, kneeling at the side of the road, looking intently at some flowers.  

"Hey, there, traveller.  Watch yourself!" he exclaimed in surprise.

"Head for the gates," Chris panted, drawing her sword.  "Wolves .... " she pointed back  down the road just as several of the pack scrambled into view.  

The dwarf tsked, wagging a finger at the pair, acting for all the world like a stern tutor with two naughty pupils.  And much to Chris' surprise, the wolves whined and backed out of sight. 

Yesterday, I managed to get in a walk after dinner, having spent the day watching LTL.  Too hot to spend much time outside, we made the best of the toys in the house.  An attempt to do finger painting with yogurt and food coloring was a hilarious failure .... but we'll keep trying out different ideas. 

• Like 6

Well, the temperatures have dropped a full 30 degrees, which is a nice change.  I got in a walk and went to the gym to do some strength training.  

I bumped my deadlift's best set up to 70 pounds x 10 reps.  I think the bar was 35 pounds.  The gym's general manager quit unexpectedly; so there was no one to ask who was sure.  (I did find out that the Smith machine's base resistance is 25 pounds ....)  

The jogging stroller and my new shoes both arrived just in time for us to be off baby-sitting duty for a week since LTL's other grandmother is here for a visit.  I'll try out the shoes.  Maybe I'll put a sandbell in the stoller and try it out too.  

I gave myself a couple days "off" on logging in WW for the end of challenge and the Labor Day weekend.  But, I started logging intake again on Tuesday to keep momentum going.  In the MIND tracking sheet, I'm doing pretty well .... except that we picked up a loaf of sourdough bread at the local bakery ... not whole wheat .... so this week's whole grains count is going to be low.  

The market square was strangely deserted when Chris arrived, having followed the directions the dwarf provided.  The streetlights illuminated shop signs all around her, but none spelled out the name of the inn she was seeking: The Pickled Chicken.  Langston, for that was the name of the town, according to the strange dwarf, seemed oddly subdued.   

As she considered her options, a side street disgorged a figure in white robes.  The young woman didn't seem to notice Chris, as she juggled a sheaf of papers.  Sunbursts decorated her robes, marking her as a sun cleric .... someone hopefully educated and helpful.  

"Hello?"  Chris called out.  

The startled cleric, reflexively grabbed the golden sun pendant around her neck, her eyes wide for a moment.  "Oh. Hello."  She quickly scanned the paladin's armor and gear, relaxing into a smile.  "Welcome, traveller.  What can I do for you?"

Chris-Tien explained that the dwarf had directed her to the inn, but that she was having  trouble locating it.  

"A, yes, Roi is rather fond of that inn.  I'm on my way there myself if you want to  follow me.  I really must hurry.  The funeral will be starting soon."  she gestured vaguely with her sheaf of papers.  "Did you know the deceased?" she queried as she started quickly down a street.

Chris has to admit that she did not know the person in question.

"So sad ... so young" the cleric sighed as she returned to consulting her pages and walking down the otherwise deserted street.   In short order, the pair stopped in front of a building sporting the sign "The Pickled Hen", and the nameless young woman quickly opened the door, stepped inside, and let the door close immediately behind her.  

With a frown, the paladin stepped back to examine the building more closely.  She didn't want to intrude on the grief of those apparently gathering for .... what? A funeral?  It seemed an odd location for such a solemn event.  The wake perhaps?  In either case, it did not seem an appropriate place for a stranger.  But, looking down the street in either direction, there did not seem to be an alternative.   

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 3

Since I am volunteering at a kid's bike tour on Saturday, I thought I should check out the route and figure out if/where I could park my car.

Ended up biking 10.6 miles, which is the furthest distance I have gone in quite some time.  I walked up a really steep hill on the way back home (seriously, I wouldn't want to drive it after a snowstorm level of steepness).  

The newer calculation scheme is definitely going to be more of a challenge this time.  I'm ahead on points this week .... barely.  

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

For the second time that day, Chris found herself wishing that she listened better to her intuition.  Shortly after she entered the tavern, a man overcome with both grief and drink began asking veiled questions of the stranger among them .... namely Chris-Tien herself.  Actually, the questions were no better veiled than a dancer performing at a very seedy establishment.  Chris had to de-escalate the situation and quickly.  

Taking a deep breath, she raised her open hands and spoke gently.  "Yes, I am a stranger here, but I am no threat.  I am sorry for your loss," she looked around the room, "but I was not the cause of it, I assure you.  I just arrived not an hour ago."  

"Don't take that tone with me, vagabond," the man snarled  as he took a swing at the paladin.  

The blow did not connect.  Partly because Chris had moved --- the man was no fighter and had telegraphed his intent --- but also because it was interrupted by a half-orc woman dressed in a somber business suit.  The hand that stopped the punch was criss-crossed with scars, and despite her clothing, Chris-Tien was certain this person knew the business end of a sword or axe.

"That's enough," the green-skinned woman told the trouble-maker.  "I think it is time to leave"

"Yes, Your Honor," the drunken man mumbled as he staggered toward the door, the crowd parting to let him through.  

Chris was about to thank her benefactor and explain that she had the situation under control .... but the suited woman's glare suggested that she should listen to her intuition this time and keep silent.  Third time is a charm, right?

• Like 8

Preparation week went well.  I'm set up with the gear I need, and I think the new "game rules" represent the tradeoff of nutrition decisions more accurately.  Basically, the Shadow scores hits when I miss .... it's more balanced.  At the moment, although Shadow started with more hit points, we are now even at the end of Week 0.  I may change up the mechanic at the end of this challenge, but its working for now.  

I got a couple of tasks done last week.  Went to the doctor and got off my blood pressure medications for two weeks to see how my body reacts .... yea!!  But also agreed to schedule those medical tests that are unpleasant .... boo.  

And I've started tutoring with the local community college!!  Between watching LTL and volunteering, I have things to DO most days.  In fact, I'm now busy enough that I am considering NOT going down to Iowa with hubby this week.  

The half-orc looked Chris up and down carefully, noting the arms and armor before coming to a decision. "I am Mayor Tanya Anthram."  Her Common was lightly accented with the characteristic Orcish twang that reminded Chris-Tien of Khrum.  "I might have use of you.  Come find me after the funeral."  

Chris' questions died on her lips as the Mayor abruptly turned and walked away as the funeral began.

The funeral was a odd affair.  Sad, certainly.  The victim's parents spoke of their young daughter, hinting at the brutal way in which she was murdered and mangled.  To Chris, it sounded more like an animal attack that an actual murder .... until a couple of boorish locals seated in the back, near the paladin, started sniggering about a Wolf and the need to lock up the woman folk of the town.  

The men's wives hushed them before Chris could be tempted to do so more forcefully, but the  rude comments had started making her wonder if there was more to the situation than was first apparent.  As the woman's fiance finished his remarks, the feeling that there was something .... off ... became even stronger.  Chris started looking more closely around the room, paying particular attention to the erstwhile finance, Tomlin, and the rapt attention the younger women of the crowd were paying him.  

"You are all, always, welcome in my home ....." he finished with a winning smile, just slightly tinged with sadness and regret.  

Before Chris could begin speculating about the newly re-eligible bachelor, the red-bearded dwarf took his turn at the front of the room. 

• Like 6

The red-bearded dwarf was the same kind soul who had directed Chris to this very tavern.  A druid, he spoke of his role as the spiritual advisor of the community and how the young woman was now returning to the circle of life.  With a simple magic spell, he made flowers appear around her casket as the climax to his remarks, only maring the effect by sneezing partway through the spell.  That would have only been a brief distraction, but the dwarf's hair and beard and hair also seemed to thicken for a moment and stand on end, as if he was near a lightning strike.  

This struck Chris as a further oddity in an evening that seemed constantly not quite right, particularly since he had sneezed during their brief encounter outside of Langston.  At the time, Chris-Tien had dismissed the hair and beard bristling as her imagination.  Now, she was intrigued and focused closely on the druid and her recollection of these two incidents  ... wondering what else about him seemed wrong??  Although she had discounted her impressions earlier in the day, she knew that it had been more than the hair and beard.  His eyes and nose were red, as if he had been crying .... possibly the death of one of his community had affected him more than he was letting on during the funeral.  But the paladin was sure that she had seen other changes .... ears and nose had seemed to lengthen, and his build had shifted slightly.  Overall, he had impressed her as rather canine in appearance, as if he had been shifting into a Wild Shape but had stopped.  Very odd.

But Chris' speculation would have to wait because the young Sun Cleric who had helped her find the inn was now taking her place, leading them in the next stage of the funeral.  Her demeanor had changed remarkably, and she seems confident and capable rather than sweet and scattered.  After some remarks, the cleric tried to lead the crowd in a funeral hymn that no one else seemed to know.   The people gathered did not seem to be devotees of the Radiant Order, although they politely tried to follow her lead.  

Finally, the mayor stepped up to take over the proceedings, startling the cleric for a moment, before she seemed to come to herself, ceding the front of the room to the half-orc.  

Sunday was a puttery day.  We went to the neighborhood potluck and enjoyed meeting a bunch of our neighbors in the homeowners association.  Naturally, I ate more than I would normally have eaten for dinner, but it was fun to chat with people.  

I got in one walk in the woods, and I logged my food intake.  But I definitely over-ate and was pretty distractedly eating during the picnic, between the conversation and the wasps .....  

This week, hubby will be gone for a few days, and I won't see LTL on Tuesday (he gets to spend the day with his daddy, who's taking a vacation day).  The combination means that I have a chance to clean out my closet and start getting organized for fall!!

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

The combination means that I have a chance to clean out my closet and start getting organized for fall!!

Ahh, I love the opportunity for a cathartic clear out!

• Like 1

Level 34 Rogue Ranger

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38

In a town comprised mostly of humans, the mayor made an unusual and commanding figure at the front of the room.  Tall and muscular, she filled the well-tailored suit perfectly, its fine cloth contrasting with the many battle scars visible on hand and face.  For a moment, she stood still, hands clasped behind her back as she seemed to gather her thoughts.  Beside her, a huge mastiff mirrored its master's stance.  Imposing without being intimidating.  

"Before I became your mayor, I fought in the Battle of Three Rivers, defending the people from the barbarian horde.  When I came here to heal, you took me in and made me welcome."  She looked over the crowd picking out individuals with her eyes.  "Now, there is a killer out in the darkness ....." her eyes locked on Chris' for a moment.  "And it took one of the people under my protection.  We will find out who or what it is, and we will end the threat.  That is my promise to you."

The assembled people murmured and applauded softly.  Fear lessened a little at the mayor's assurances as she turned to address the dead woman's parents.  "I am so sorry for your loss," she ended as she stepped away from the casket and began to walk toward the back of the room, the dog padding beside her.  

"The Battle of Three Rivers ...." the paladin  murmured to herself as she searched her memory ... and found the Mayor's story wanting.  That battle had not been against a barbarian force .... rather a coup attempt from the neighboring kingdom.  And the local peasants had been not victims, but had joined the aggressors in the coup.  Why did she lie to her town?

Week 1 is going well, although I've been over-eating.  I don't know if it is the result of going off the medication or if I am part bear (the fall weather is here in force), but I've been really hungry.

Yesterday, I got my morning walk in the woods and then laced up my new running shoes and took an easy two-mile run.  I'm ignoring the pace because I ended up talking to people along with way.  I figure the social contact is worth the break.  

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The story is intriguing. 

Thank you!  It's mostly from the solo adventure book .... with some modifications.  My deal with myself is that I can't advance in the game until I've written up my adventure so far, which slows it down. 

You could probably rip through the adventure in no time if you just kept clicking on the options.  I'm also using DnD Beyond to help with dice rolls.  

• Like 4

Still feeling a bit under the weather.  It might be from the crud that's going around, allergies, or detoxing from the blood pressure meds.  I'm drinking lots of water and tackling easy things.  Yesterday, I organized the closet ..... moving summer clothes to bins and the guest bedroom closet ..... and starting to organize winter/fall things.  Which means that I'm digging into boxes in the basement.  And I started organizing craft supplies in anticipation of doing things with LTL this winter.  

Daughter is ill, and LTL is teething.   It's going to be a low-key week, I think.  But I am really looking forward to getting out with LTL in the stroller tomorrow.  

I did get a walk in the morning, carrying my 10 pound sand bell.  I ate whatever I felt like eating, but I logged it.  (Ugh!!)  

"Paladin, I have need of you,"  the mayor called out to Chris before she had a chance to start looking for the owner of the Pickled Hen.  

Chris-Tien sighed before nodding her head in acknowledgement.  She knew what was coming and didn't have time to waste on a local problem, but she also knew that she would be honor-bound to accept a direct request for aid.  "Your Honor, how can I help you?"

The half-orc was not one for pleasantries.  "You know our situation here.  The people are scared and need assurance ..... and to have the culprit brought to justice."

"Surely, this is something you can handle .... " Chris looked significantly at the mayor's battle-scarred hands.  

"There is more here than I can tell you right now."   The mayor spoke quietly  and glanced sideways at the assembled mourners before continuing in a more normal voice.  "We will pay your room and board while you are investigating.  Meet me in the town hall tomorrow morning.   You can get the key to your room from the innkeeper," she finished, pointing at a balding man in an apron before nodding to herself.  Abruptly, she turned back to mingling with the funeral-goers.  

The mayor's manner added to Chris' confusion about her unusual position in this human settlement, but before she had time to speculate further, Tomlin approached her.  

"Hello.  I haven't met you yet.  I'm Tomlin, the village herbalist.  How did you know Maybelline?"

After an exchange of pleasantries, Chris extricated herself to find the innkeeper and her bed.   

• Like 6

Late to the party, but here to follow, offer support, and for intriguing RP DnD murder mystery!

• Thanks 1

Challenges: 1st [B-], 2nd [NA], (6 years away),  3rd[A-], 4th [B-], 5th [Current]
Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet)
Weight Loss PVP - (spreadsheet)

"Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
(Don't wait for the ideal circumstances, get to work NOW)

The most important step a man can take. It's not the first one, is it? It's the next one. Always the next step.

I enjoy these story-based RPG challenges, so thank you for entertaining us all  :D 

On 9/5/2023 at 4:59 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

My daughter keeps telling me that I am not an "old lady", which I appreciate.  And, there are many more older people who use our new gym; so I don't feel so out of place.  

You're definitely not, but it's not bad to be an old lady, and anyway, the older folks at my local gym were always the most inspiring to me. You are probably some shy gym person's hero without knowing it!

On 9/7/2023 at 5:37 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

The jogging stroller and my new shoes both arrived just in time for us to be off baby-sitting duty for a week since LTL's other grandmother is here for a visit.  I'll try out the shoes.  Maybe I'll put a sandbell in the stoller and try it out too.  

I hope with all my might that someone stops you during your run and asks to say hello to your sweet little angel  :D 

On 9/10/2023 at 6:14 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

And I've started tutoring with the local community college!! 

This is awesome! Thank you for helping people learn  ❤️ 

On 9/12/2023 at 4:05 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

I'm also using DnD Beyond to help with dice rolls.  

We use D&D Beyond for our current campaign (hybrid with three people in person and one remote) and it's awesome. Would recommend it to anyone.

• Thanks 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi