Sovalis: Cozy Coffeeshop Vibes

cafe.jpeg.c2e20b3409d1ce4603cc0e69094b1f9f.jpeg

Hi Friends!

I am safely home from  an amazing time at Nerdly. I have received my final pay from the shop and I am grateful to be putting that behind me. I had my first day at Jack's today and while my feet are sore, the injury I have been rehabbing isn't screaming, so that is a huge win. Here's hoping things stay this good and even get better!

Last challenge I was focused on limiting my spending and it went quite well. I am going to be maintaining mindfulness about that going forward although not as strictly as I was for the previous six weeks. This challenge will be based on integrating into my new job and maintaining my house while Dave is away (he gets back October 5th). Goals are foundational self-care:

1) Eat three real meals a day, or two real meals and one protein bar in a pinch. Minimum four types of fruit or veggies a day!

2) Drink three big tumblers of water (this is much more challenging at Jack's because of how much busier the job is) so drinking before and after work will be a bigger part of the deal.

3) On days that I don't work, walk on the treadmill for at least 30 minutes. Once my feet have acclimated to standing for 6-7 hours a day, add those walks to working days, too. Current daily step goal is 5600 steps (I did 4200 today) and eventually I want to be back in the 10k a day range, but that is a very long term goal. Right now just standing this much is going to take some work. Walking places is easier than standing around somehow. 

4) Do an adulting task every day. Doesn't have to be huge, but something must be done. 

Maintaining my daily Tarot and journalling practices, updating here, and getting my weekly game prep into this new schedule are further factors. I have moved my challenge checklist into my Hobinichi Cousin Avec so I only need to carry one book to work. The chart is much smaller in that book, I am not sure if I will like it or not. We will find out!

My FitBit says I had a wild number of active minutes today, probably from all of the mopping and sweeping and such that I was doing. I am cool with that and really hope that this increase in activity will help me see some improvements in my stamina. I'd like it to translate into some weight loss as well, but that will take time and my food being dialled in, too. 

It was chilly today (like 12C; we had frost last night) and there is an EPIC thunderstorm happening right now. I didn't think we could have thunder without a hot humid day, but apparently I am wrong, and holy wow, this is intense. Going to go curl up in bed and enjoy. I hope that if you are challenging this zero week you are off to a solid start, and that if you are resting, it is wonderful. Thank you for being here. ❤️ 

• Like 18
  • That's Metal 2

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Sovalis said:

Current daily step goal is 5600 steps (I did 4200 today) and eventually I want to be back in the 10k a day range, but that is a very long term goal.

If it helps with the midterm progress, studies say that walking benefits are largely maximised around 7500 steps per day. More is always good, within reason, but you get pretty nearly all the benefits at 7500.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

5 hours ago, Sovalis said:

and that if you are resting, it is wonderful. Thank you for being here. ❤️ 

I am indeed resting, and it is wonderful. ☺️

Very excited for you, I hope the new job at Jacks is a good fit for you all!

• Like 5

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Happy for the new job, jealous of the thunderstorm. 

I second this, I'm insanely jealous of the thunderstorm. As much as I love heat, my northerner side (northern Indiana, right on the Michigan state line) is coming out and my body is prepared for cooler temperatures and fall weather while the Texas heat is not relenting. I hate being cold, but I do love feeling really cozy in a blanket with a fire going in the fireplace, and a comfy sweater with fuzzy socks. 12C might be a tad too cold for me but I'm still envious of cooler weather.

I'm so glad to see things starting off on such a high, happy, and positive note. Happy to join you in this journey and watch you conquer all the amazing feats ❤️

• Like 2

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

Thunderstorms? Hell yeah.

storm front GIF

I don't love 'em when they knock the power out, but they rarely do, and I love the ambience in the meantime. Not to mention, one of my favorite childhood memories is standing in the garage with my dad and recording lightning strikes on a camera. We'd go inside afterward and watch them in slow motion. So cool.

Anyway, I haven't been about and I missed a lot, but it sounds like you made some big moves for the best! Awesome. And I feel you on the no-spend goal from last time and wound up doing something similar for myself. I benefitted a lot from it, and I don't know that I would have tried it without seeing you doing your stuff, so thanks for that.

12 hours ago, Sovalis said:

1) Eat three real meals a day, or two real meals and one protein bar in a pinch. Minimum four types of fruit or veggies a day!

So here's a thing that helped me do this that might help you too: focus on different colors. Different colors generally means different nutritional profiles and the more colors you eat, the better. Also, it gives you a chance to try all kinds of different flavors and combinations thereof, which is just fun.

Another helpful thing too, if you notice the chart, is that certain spices count for this too, so if you're having a hard time finding a certain kind of food or you want to try a certain recipe, a pinch of the right kind of spice can help you out. So you can loosen things up a bit, you know? Might make compliance easier.

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

• Like 6

Here to cheer. :) 

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

I missed that you got a new job. Congratulations! It will be great for you to have a job in which you actually get paid.

• Haha 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Also jelly of your cooler weather and thunderstorms!  It’s been nasty hot in our neck of the woods.  Following for all the cosy coffee shop vibes.  

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Roams Among the Trees

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

20 hours ago, XBlackWidowX said:

Self care is very important, great goals! 

Mopping the floor is exhausting! 

I am glad your injury is getting better. 

Wow, frost!! I got a sunburnt yesterday :P

Hope your sunburn isn't too painful!! 

Yes, mopping isn't super fun, but it's steps and that makes me happy in a long term way. 

20 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

If it helps with the midterm progress, studies say that walking benefits are largely maximised around 7500 steps per day. More is always good, within reason, but you get pretty nearly all the benefits at 7500.

Awesome. Thanks, Sara. 

16 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

I am indeed resting, and it is wonderful. ☺️

Very excited for you, I hope the new job at Jacks is a good fit for you all!

Yay Resting!!! I'm so proud of you, Rho. 💜💜

So far it's a great fit!

16 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey Sov!

so happy your first day went well and you are curled up with a cool thunderstorm :)

crazy that’s it is cold where you are! It’s way too hot here - can I pop round to yours?? Haha 

loads of love xx

Oh definitely come over, I've made chili and everything. 🤤😉 Love!

14 hours ago, Everstorm said:

I dream of frost, but it's likely to be another two months for us 🥵

I'm glad you survived the first day of your new job without recurrence of foot pain.  That's a good sign of all the work you've put into rehabbing it.

Two more months seems wildly late to me. Wow! 

Yes, I was very happy that my injury seems to be behaving itself. *fingers crossed*

14 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Here for cozy vibes! New Season Popcorn GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Happy to have you, Snarky! 

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Happy for the new job, jealous of the thunderstorm. 

Thanks, Tank. I hope you get an enjoyable storm at some point! 

12 hours ago, Darciana said:

I second this, I'm insanely jealous of the thunderstorm. As much as I love heat, my northerner side (northern Indiana, right on the Michigan state line) is coming out and my body is prepared for cooler temperatures and fall weather while the Texas heat is not relenting. I hate being cold, but I do love feeling really cozy in a blanket with a fire going in the fireplace, and a comfy sweater with fuzzy socks. 12C might be a tad too cold for me but I'm still envious of cooler weather.

I'm so glad to see things starting off on such a high, happy, and positive note. Happy to join you in this journey and watch you conquer all the amazing feats ❤️

Thanks, Darciana. I'm happy to have you. 💜 The 12⁰C is nice. The -30⁰C that is coming will be less so. 😅

9 hours ago, Kishi said:

Thunderstorms? Hell yeah.

storm front GIF

I don't love 'em when they knock the power out, but they rarely do, and I love the ambience in the meantime. Not to mention, one of my favorite childhood memories is standing in the garage with my dad and recording lightning strikes on a camera. We'd go inside afterward and watch them in slow motion. So cool.

Oh that is super cool! What great memories! 

9 hours ago, Kishi said:

Anyway, I haven't been about and I missed a lot, but it sounds like you made some big moves for the best! Awesome. And I feel you on the no-spend goal from last time and wound up doing something similar for myself. I benefitted a lot from it, and I don't know that I would have tried it without seeing you doing your stuff, so thanks for that.

You're welcome! Glad it helped! 

9 hours ago, Kishi said:

So here's a thing that helped me do this that might help you too: focus on different colors. Different colors generally means different nutritional profiles and the more colors you eat, the better. Also, it gives you a chance to try all kinds of different flavors and combinations thereof, which is just fun.

Another helpful thing too, if you notice the chart, is that certain spices count for this too, so if you're having a hard time finding a certain kind of food or you want to try a certain recipe, a pinch of the right kind of spice can help you out. So you can loosen things up a bit, you know? Might make compliance easier.

This is great. Thanks, Kishi!!

9 hours ago, Kishi said:

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

I appreciate you stopping by!

8 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

Here to follow along the goals you have here!

Great to have you, Loveable Bouncer!

5 hours ago, Heidi said:

Here to cheer. :) 

Thank you, Friend! 💜

4 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I missed that you got a new job. Congratulations! It will be great for you to have a job in which you actually get paid.

Right?? I'm a little sad at how exciting I find the decent treatment I'm getting from Jack's. Definitely some high contrast against the shop. 

3 hours ago, Sepherina said:

Also jelly of your cooler weather and thunderstorms!  It’s been nasty hot in our neck of the woods.  Following for all the cosy coffee shop vibes.  

I hope you have the tools that you need to beat the heat!! Good to have you! 

Hi Friends! 

Today was my second day and it went well. Karen said she was really impressed with my proficiency with the iced drinks after one day, so she had me start learning to steam milk and pull espresso shots. I found both of those pretty intimidating, but the espresso shots were actually pretty simple and steaming the milk isn't so bad, just takes care and good listening (it sounds very different at different points in the preparation). I'm starting to memorize the recipes a bit and able to globalize my attention a bit more already as I get used to the rhythms of the cafe. My feet are very tender at the end of the day, but all of that is just standing so much rather than the plantar fasciitis flaring up, hallelujah. So I've come home the last two nights and had an Epsom salt bath and then just rested. My feet were fine when I woke up this morning, so hopefully the same will be the case tomorrow. I can tell that foot care is going to be important in a way it hasn't ever really been as an adult if I want to be good at this. My toenail beds were aching yesterday, so I made sure my nails were shorter and today there hasn't been that particular ache. 

I did not have breakfast this morning, and I have not had a real supper, either, which means not hitting my eat plants goal. I'm going to be gentle on this for Zero Week as I adjust to work (and try to clean up my kitchen which is full of stuff I brought home from the shop and Nerdly which hasn't been put away yet). I'm trying to hit my water goal before bed. 

It was suppose to be paint night but everyone cancelled, which was quite all right with me. More time to soak. 

I don't think I like the tracking chart in my Avec. It's not elegant. I think I might do it up in my A&O like I usually do and just make peace with carrying both my books. My bookbag doesn't have all my D&D stuff in it, so there's room. 

I'm out of water so need to refill. I hope your hydration is abundant and easy! Thanks for being here! 🧡

• Like 15

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, XBlackWidowX said:

Oh, so you really work at a cafe! I thought it was just the name of the challenge ^^` It's great you've done so well with the drinks. Eat more or you'll have no energy to work so hard! 

I saw the post in which you're responding to everyone and got a thought your thread is also like a cafe, so many people chatting xD 

HA! I thought this too!

I'm so glad the cafe is going so well! You're gonna be awesome at this. 

• Like 2

I am glad you're not having foot issues again. I hope this trend continues until you're so adjusted you don't even feel the need to soak every work day!

I'm super proud of the progress you've made so far and how much happier/upbeat your posts are coming across. My heart is happy with my lovely Friends happy ❤️

• Like 3

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

Ooh, you're working in coffee now? Thank you for your service. <3

I'm not sure how much walking you're doing now compared to your last job, so you may already be ready for this, but the 2 things to watch the most that I remember from that line of work are your feet and your lower back. Deep squat will be your friend as far as this goes, if you can. Really, though, anything that relieves the sense of compression you might get there will be good.

• Like 3

following for all the cool vibes! 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

On 9/5/2023 at 11:55 PM, Sovalis said:

I had my first day at Jack's today and while my feet are sore, the injury I have been rehabbing isn't screaming, so that is a huge win. Here's hoping things stay this good and even get better!

When I went from couch potato to barn worker I had bad days for sure but surprisingly I also had good days somehow and that was without rehabbing. SO since you have rehab under your belt, I hope you have all the success with this and that this helps strengthen your feet and speeds up the healing for you.

On 9/5/2023 at 11:55 PM, Sovalis said:

It was chilly today (like 12C; we had frost last night) and there is an EPIC thunderstorm happening right now. I didn't think we could have thunder without a hot humid day, but apparently I am wrong, and holy wow, this is intense. Going to go curl up in bed and enjoy. I hope that if you are challenging this zero week you are off to a solid start, and that if you are resting, it is wonderful. Thank you for being here. ❤️ 

Lucky. We have had 40C weather the past few days. And sooo humid. I think last winter it was snowing and there was lightening. And I did not know that could happen but it was cool. 

Great challenge Sovalis ❤️  and congrats on the new job!

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Following! Glad to hear your new job is going well and that your feet are holding up to the challenge! 

Good Morning Love GIF by Holler Studios

• Like 2

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett