Severine vs. Chocolate, Handwriting, and the Elliptical

On 10/6/2023 at 2:31 AM, Severine said:

Anyway, whatever the reason, I have spent the last week or so with my hand/wrist/arm in a very restricting brace that I still have from my previous surgery. I know how important it is to stop the cycle of inflammation and damage and immobilize it to let it heal. I know the drill, after so many years, but I cannot express how much I hate wearing that thing. It makes EVERY SINGLE LITTLE DAILY TASK so much harder. Cooking, eating, getting dressed - you name it, it suddenly sucks. Needless to say, I have been a bit down and discouraged. Typing is also next to impossible unless I want to use one hand, so I am back to using voice dictation software. I didn't have it set up on my new laptop, hence the delay in posting. I finally got the wherewithal to install it and configure it this evening after dinner, which is probably a good sign that I am coming out of my funk. Thankfully I am good at using the software (lots of practice), but it feels like sliding backward and some moments I just feel like crying.

This is the best reason I have ever seen for not posting for a while. I'm so sorry that you're hurt (physically and emotionally). But I'm glad you know what to do to make it better again.

On 10/6/2023 at 8:18 PM, Severine said:

Posting this video

I can relate to some of this. I think if I had to pace myself to learning something I wanted to learn in 1% per day increments I would go a little crazy - I love throwing myself into projects for hours at a time learning a new thing and I absolutely learn best this way for most things. But I am able to form habits and do things consistently when I get the right setup for them. I find them best for recurring things I don't really want to do but need to, like housework, or that I would otherwise forget, or things that really need repetitive practice. The break-it-down-and-do-it-a-little-at-a-time learning I could see for something where motivating yourself to do even a few minutes of work was, well, work. Or that was just really hard to learn for whatever reason.

• Like 1
On 10/7/2023 at 9:42 PM, Salinger said:

Hey Sev, how is your weekend? x

Not bad - it's Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, so we had a big special dinner tonight, and I am stuffed and exhausted. It was fun though, and delicious, and it was really nice to spend some time with my people. My bad knee is being a jerk (it almost went out on our after-dinner walk last night) and my GI system has been kind of unhappy all weekend. I'm not sure what that's about, so I feel rather decrepit with all these random, inexplicable health annoyances, but I'll live.

The wrist is slowly but surely recovering, and I am trying my very best to baby it and not rush the recovery. I can't count the number of times I've rehabbed it to 90% and then overdone it and reinjured it. I need to keep babying it for a good week or so after it feels okay, which is incredibly counterintuitive and hard for me, but I've learned the hard way it's absolutely necessary.

1 hour ago, juliebarkley said:

This is the best reason I have ever seen for not posting for a while. I'm so sorry that you're hurt (physically and emotionally). But I'm glad you know what to do to make it better again.

I can relate to some of this. I think if I had to pace myself to learning something I wanted to learn in 1% per day increments I would go a little crazy - I love throwing myself into projects for hours at a time learning a new thing and I absolutely learn best this way for most things. But I am able to form habits and do things consistently when I get the right setup for them. I find them best for recurring things I don't really want to do but need to, like housework, or that I would otherwise forget, or things that really need repetitive practice. The break-it-down-and-do-it-a-little-at-a-time learning I could see for something where motivating yourself to do even a few minutes of work was, well, work. Or that was just really hard to learn for whatever reason.

The housework point is interesting. I very consistently do housework, in fact more consistently than almost anyone I know. But it has nothing to do with habit and everything to do with the fact that having a not-clean-and-tidy house makes me unhappy and cleaning is a bit of a stress relief coping mechanism for me. So, at least in the moment, I do housework because I want/choose to, even though in a global sense I don't enjoy doing housework or particularly want to do it.

And, like you, I do see applications for the break-it-down-and-do-a-little-everyday approach. But very situational. And, like you, I enjoy doing deep dives into something I want to learn. The more I think about it, the more I realize that it's really a matter of having a toolbox of different approaches and using the right one for the right thing.

• Like 9

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

Happy Thanksgiving!

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

OMG that video is me. So me. Yes, I have some habits but it's to get an outcome I'm passionate about. Everything else? Meh. It gives a bit more meaning to my "if it wasn't for the last minute nothing would get done!".  It's so weird in some respects, I task switch very quickly for things I already know (it's basically a large part of my job - "Hey - Athaclena - can you join this call and solve this gnarly problem?" and I have some pretty insane retention (which isn't the same as rote memorization, but looks a lot like it) - but needing to learn a new thing? Yeah - I HAVE to be interested, I'm NOT going to do it a few minutes a day, I HAVE to have a real world goal at the end of the learning. Need me to learn a new language (computer not like human communication - but I can wish LOL)? Give me an actual problem that needs to be solved in that language and give me 2 days. I'll be proficient. Otherwise - hubby begging me to learn PowerShell for 10 years yields nothing - need to solve this client problem and that's the one scripting language the rest of the team can use and no additional pre-reqs? Hang tight and API's are read, data is in a DB and report (or API to shove data somewhere else) is done without ever even looking at it.

I think having this perspective will help me set some of those artificial deadlines that roar right past and only do when it absolutely fricking has to. I can do that SOMETIMES - usually because the project is just to big to whip out in 4 hours at the last minute (you'd be shocked at what I can do in 4 hours LOL).

Anywho - love the link and hope the wrist is better soon. Oddly I've done something to mine this week but it's mostly just tender like a light sprain so I'm just trying not to do do much with it....

• Like 2

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).