Maigs Resurrects from the Dead

Well it's been a hot minute since I've been around here. Look like my last challenge was over a year ago. I fell into a deep burnout despite my job being awesome and letting me work ~25 hour weeks most of the year (with 60-70 hours for the three months of tax season). So this spring I quit and got a new job. I'm out of public accounting, with normal work hours and so much less stress. This was about 4 months ago and a couple of weeks ago I finally felt like my old self with some actual energy to do shit. 

A quick (re)introduction I guess:

I'm 37, an accountant, animal lover, farmhouse owner (just the house, no farm :)), D&D & boardgame player, and about 60lbs overweight. I had gotten very close to my ideal weight in 2016 and kept it for about 3 years but then that all went to hell in 2020. Ironically, not for the reasons you'd expect. That just happened to be when my newish job really started dragging me down (I loved my boss and coworkers, it was the nature of the job that slowly burnt me to a crisp) and the year my beloved Floof really started to go downhill (and we lost him in early 2021). Then last year was a Series of Unfortunate Events that really just tipped me over the edge into "barely functioning as a human". 

I am a Ranger at heart that wants to do all the things, but ends up doing none of the things. I got really into OCRs a while back, but they're dead here now. I was going to a kickboxing gym that I loved, but they closed last year. I have a nice lifting setup in my basement now but haven't gotten in the regular habit of using it yet. I got into biking, but there's nowhere good to bike near the house we bought 3 years ago so I have to drive somewhere to ride (which, spoiler, doesn't happen). 

BUT! I'm finally feeling very optimistic about my ability to get back at it. I have energy and drive again. I enjoy my job and don't foresee it becoming a massive drain on me (as long as whoever gets hired as the new CFO isn't awful). So I'm jumping into this challenge a little late, but starting today.

Motivate Lets Go GIF by Raghav Bansal

Goals

Move - some sort of movement more days than not. It does not have to be much, just something

Steps - going to try to get back to hitting 10k steps regularly. I'm nowhere near there now, but going to consciously get more steps in regularly

Eat well - aiming for a 500cal/day deficit, though I won't beat myself up if I'm over as long as I ate good, nutritious foods

Mobility - my hip has been out of whack for a while. I went to PT last year, but promptly stopped doing my exercises as soon as I "graduated" so it's mad again

• Like 3

I almost forgot to add: a year and a half after losing our dear Floor we finally decided we were ready for a dog again and adopted a puppy from the local humane society. 

IMG_20230107_141755595.jpg

Then two days later went back and got his brother.

IMG_20230107_142104032.jpg

Meet Bernard and Reginald, who will usually be referred to as "the boys" and make me smile on a daily basis, even when they're driving me nuts with their antics.

IMG_20230523_180506938_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
20 hours ago, Maigs said:

I'm out of public accounting

Hello fellow accountant! :D My hat is off to you, I couldn't do public accounting and would much rather work for private businesses making sure the bills are paid and payments received :lol:  Congrats on making the change!

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

8 hours ago, RES said:

Hello fellow accountant! :D My hat is off to you, I couldn't do public accounting and would much rather work for private businesses making sure the bills are paid and payments received :lol:  Congrats on making the change!

I enjoyed the work, and they would have basically let me set the schedule I wanted. But I hated the fact that I basically had 100's of bosses (each client) with very irregular demands on my time. Plus I really despise having to track my time and worry about billable vs nonbillable and feeling bad if I went down a rabbit hole. 

My new job is super flexible and doesn't seem like they care how many hours I work as long as I get the work done and do it well

• Like 2

Day Zero

First day motivation definitely showed. 

Move - 30 minutes of cardio doing Beat Saber. My shoulders and legs are unreasonably sore from that

Steps - 11,684. Weekends are much easier for me to get my steps in. Tomorrow will be the real test to see if I can increase these

Eat Well - Did very well on this despite having just come back from over a week out of state the day before. Meal planning and grocery shopping is now done so hopefully this stays on track

Mobility - I did a short Youtube stretching video and supplemented with some stretches targeting my hips

• Like 2

Week 1(ish) - Sunday

Welp, that motivation didn't last long. I pushed through though. My eating schedule was thrown off which probably threw off my energy levels so I took a late afternoon nap and then had issues getting going again. But I made it down to the basement gym for a lifting session and then did some bare minimum stretching

Move - Push day

Bench press - 50 x 10 x 3

Front Raise - 10 x 10 x 3

Cable tricep pushdown - 35 x 10 x 3

Lateral raise - 10 x 10 x 3

Skullcrusher - 17.5 x 10 x 3

OHP - 20 x 10 x 3

Steps  - 10,717

Eat Well - my schedule was way off, but I still did well on quality and quantity

Mobility - I said bare minimum earlier and I meant it. I did butterfly and forward folds

• Like 2

Week 1(ish) Monday

First day back at the office after working while traveling (I tagged along with Hub's work trip) and I had zero motivation actually work. I don't think I accomplished anything. Extra thankful I don't have to track my time anymore 😁. After work we picked up a crap load of free cardboard that were going to use as a weed barrier around our baby trees that morning glories are trying to suffocate. Then we grabbed the boys and played 9 holes of disc golf. I think this was my first time out this year and I'm not very good to begin with, but I managed to be not completely terrible.

Move -disc golf

Steps - 8056 That's with disc golf. I would have been around 3k without it. Definitely for improvement

Eat Well - we didn't get home until after 7 but I still cooked dinner and stuck to plan. That's a late dinner for us so I'm proud that I stuck to not getting garbage fast food

Mobility -none

• Like 3
On 9/17/2023 at 8:03 PM, Maigs said:

Steps - 11,684

Did you ever sit down? :D 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

23 minutes ago, Maigs said:

Two jobs ago that was a normal day for me

Same, I was an accountant for a minor league baseball team....yes it was every bit as cool as it sounds...and on game days I had to run all over the concourse delivering cash to the concession stands.

Spoiler

On 9/16/2023 at 7:10 PM, Maigs said:

I got really into OCRs a while back, but they're dead here now.

This makes me very sad. OCRs are becoming very scarce here, too. 

Glad to see you back though! With cute doggos!

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Hey Maigs, how are you doing?

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

On 10/8/2023 at 3:43 AM, Rhovaniel said:

Hey Maigs, how are you doing?

Whoops, fell off there didn't I? I've been good just not feeling the forums lately.

I've been decent at getting in exercise, not so great about steps, decent on food, and mostly failing at mobility. My weight has moved a bit in the right direction, so there's that. 

Pup tax:

IMG_20230929_094816830.jpg

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Maigs said:

Whoops, fell off there didn't I? I've been good just not feeling the forums lately.

Honestly, I feel that. I think for me when I came back from a particularly long hiatus, adjusting to all the changes, and the changes in people that occurred naturally, took a while. That, and not being able to check the forums at work anymore really affected how often I come here, I think. 

Spoiler