Returning to my original goals with the hope of sticking to them this challenge:

War Fight GIF by Hunchback Music

STRONGER:

GOAL: By the end of this challenge, I will have increased my physical strength by at least 25% as measured by an increase in number of reps to failure of kettlebell single-arm overhead press.

HOW: I will pick "heavy things" up and put them back down for at least 20 minutes, three days a week; this will include mostly kettlebell training with some "greasing the groove" using resistance bands, random heavy objects, and my kids. Training will look like this:

Sunday -- Benchmark (single arm overhead press to failure, count reps; 30 minute run, note distance)

Monday -- Five rounds of:

200 meter run
kettlebell clean and press x 2 each side
goblet squat x 5
two-handed kettlebell swing x 20
rest 2 minutes

Tuesday -- 30 minute run; record time

Wednesday -- 5-10 rounds of:
25 double-arm kettlebell swings
30 seconds rest
25 alternating kettlebell swings
30 seconds rest
25 single-arm kettlebell swings L
30 seconds rest
25 single-arm kettlebell swings R
2 minutes rest
Alternating kettlebell clean & press x 30 (15 per side)
2 minutes rest
Alternating kettlebell dead snatch x 14 (7 per side)
Straight leg singe-arm kettlebell deadlift x 30 (15 per side)
Overhead triceps extension x 15

Thursday -- 30 minute run; improve previous distance

Friday -- 15-45 minutes of:

clean with left hand
press with left hand
one arm front squat with left hand
one handed swing with left hand
park the kettlebell, recover, repeat with right hand

Saturday -- Distance run on trails; mark distance and pace

Kimetsu No Yaiba Sleeping GIF by iQiyi

FASTER:

GOAL: By the end of this challenge, I will be able to run a sub-30 minute 5k as measured by a 5k run.

HOW: I will run for 30 minutes at least two days a week, with a distance/endurance run at least one day a week and sprint/speed intervals at least one day a week (see 200 m run above).

Studying College Life GIF

SMARTER:

GOALS: By the end of the challenge, I will increase my daily use of Duolingo; I will increase my daily reading habit by at least 5 minutes a day; I will learn at least one new thing daily.

HOW:

I will set a reminder to complete at least the daily requirements to achieve a 30 day streak on Duolingo
I will set aside at least 30 minutes of reading time daily
I will use apps such as Humane and Kinnu to learn new information, as well as the NPR app and podcasts.

Benedict Cumberbatch Meditate GIF by Spider-Man

CALMER:

GOAL: By the end of the challenge, I will improve my mental health by reducing my angry reactions to stress.

HOW:

I will use a meditation app to increase my meditation/contemplative prayer practice from 10 minutes to 15 minutes.
I will take 30 minute mindful walks to help clear my mind.
I will write down what I am grateful for and create daily affirmations using the 5 Minute Journal app.
I will practice a relaxing breathing technique (short inhale through nose, long exhale through mouth) and apply this technique in moments of stress and frustration.
I will listen to music that elevates my mood.

• Like 5

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Here for it! I love the detail. Good luck!

• Like 1

Challenges: 1st [B-], 2nd [NA], (6 years away),  3rd[A-], 4th [B-], 5th [C], 6th [Current]
Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet)

"Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
(Don't wait for the ideal circumstances, get to work NOW)

The most important step a man can take. It's not the first one, is it? It's the next one. Always the next step.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

I tested positive for COVID earlier this week and had to take the rest of the week off from work. I should be getting better Sunday or Monday (when I can return to work). So no progress on my physical challenges yet. I have, however, been meditating and reading and also keeping up my Duolingo streak (51 days now). I have looked through the Long Covid collection on Darebee just in case I don't feel fully recovered next week to ease back into working out.

• Wow 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

Wishing for a swift recovery for you. Don't mess with COVID, take care of yourself.

• Thanks 1

Challenges: 1st [B-], 2nd [NA], (6 years away),  3rd[A-], 4th [B-], 5th [C], 6th [Current]
Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet)

"Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
(Don't wait for the ideal circumstances, get to work NOW)

The most important step a man can take. It's not the first one, is it? It's the next one. Always the next step.

Thank you everyone who sent healing vibes. I feel so much better today. I'm going to attempt my benchmark workout tomorrow rather than my usual Monday workout, while also not overdoing it. I guess the good news is I know I will see progress down the road because I haven't worked out in over a week, so the bar will be set rather low. But I am ready to get back at it, just baby steps so as to not overdo it.

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Week 1 Update:

So, I recovered well enough from COVID. I did not work out much last week, other than a few runs, including a night time 5k trail race. I did complete the benchmark with the following results:

• 30 minute run: 2.44 miles
  • kb press total: 8 per arm

I was consistent with my SMARTER goals but slacked with my STRONGER and CALMER goals. However, this week is looking better for me already.

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

On 11/20/2023 at 3:10 PM, juliebarkley said:

How are things going?

Thank you for checking in. I wish I could answer with, "Great!," but it's more of a, "Meh," at this point. I do plan on following the same challenge goals next challenge but perhaps taking a simpler approach. I make so many excuses for why I do not do the things I know I need to do, but I also try to be gracious when I consider how hectic and busy my life really is most of the time. With six kids, three dogs, and a full time career, life really does interfere with my plans.

But I'm not giving up, nor am I abandoning my goals. I am always grateful for fellow Rebels like yourself who check up on me when I've been "off the boards" for a while.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler