Jackdaw migrates west

This time the challenge is pretty simple (at least to describe, not to do huh)  :

* find a place to live

* find a job

* find new allies

* survive, I guess??

For the last couple of days I've been trying to find a place for a temporary stay and it's insane how difficult it is! Ok, I knew it's hard to rent an apartment in Germany, but people just keep on ignoring me on booking and airbnb... I've never experienced anything like that. If it's gonna go on like that I am gonna live in a tent there lol. For the next two weeks I managed to book a total shithole, but what I'm gonna do next? No idea. 

Mentally I am not in a very good place, to put it mildly. Family stuff, grief, my own issues... Not very fun. I wrote a very long and embarrassing post about some of it yesterday, but then I got too embarrassed and hid it. I decided to start with the anxiety pills because I can't be like this anymore. I am just so tired of being afraid all the time. Maybe it'll fix me. I hope. 

Time to fly, friends. Literally; tomorrow is my flight... into the unknown!

Brak opisu.

• Like 7

Veni, vidi, vici. 

Best of luck Jackdaw! I'm rooting for you. Hopefully in Germany you can feel like you are in a new life and not dwell too much on the troubles of the past. I hope the meds are helpful and you can continue to get them at your new home. Seriously, best of luck!!!

• Thanks 1

Challenges: 1st [B-], 2nd [NA], (6 years away),  3rd[A-], 4th [B-], 5th [C], 6th [Current]
Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet)

"Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
(Don't wait for the ideal circumstances, get to work NOW)

The most important step a man can take. It's not the first one, is it? It's the next one. Always the next step.

Hope you have a good flight! Some big changes happening for you this challenge by the sounds of it - good luck to you!

• Thanks 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

In case anyone was wondering how my first day in Germany was, well, it was full of misadventures, whiny people, kind strangers, dogs and a handsome savior !!

The beginng of my journey was very smooth. I checked in in a record time which was awesome because my bus to the airport was late and I was a bit worried about that. Then, on the train to the main station in Berlin I got to know a very nice guy, he told me a lot about his travels. Today he was in Germany, in two days he is going to Paris, than to Barcelona and to Rome. He gave me some nice tips how to spare money on booking. Then we exchanged insta and bid farewell!

After that the trouble began. First thing I did in a new country was paying a fine for not validating my ticket because I had no idea you do it OUTSIDE of the vehicle. Like...really??? Well, the guy told me I should inform myself before going to a new country and I know he was right. It's not like I am dumb, but because of my anxiety disorder I keep on rushing into things, I just do everything on one breath. I swear guys, when I am calm I can be so sensible and eloquent, but when I am not... well.

After that sad experience I had one and half hours to my next train to Hanover so I went to buy a German sim card. I did it last time when I was in Germany so I didn't think it was a big deal, last time it took about ten minutes. This time it was a total disaster, they wasted my whole transition time and there was some problem with the system, so I couldn't purchase it... It took such a long time I nearly missed my train. I was hungry, thirsty and exhausted and I didn't have time to take care of any of that. Then, when I got on my train and found my seat I realized it was occupied by a guy and his two dogs. After a brief conversation he showed me his ticket and it turned out that somehow we had the same seat number o.O So I had to seat somewhere else but fortunatelly needed to change only once when the right passanger appeared. I had a more pressing problem at hand. I tried to figure it out why my roaming didn't work. I did everything the Internet said I should do, but it still didn't work. I was really worried because it was already getting dark and my orientation is very poor, normally I can't find anything without google maps. I took some screenshots of the road to the place I booked and hoped for the best. When I finally got to the main station in Hanover I was really exhausted so I decided to take a taxi to my destination. It was also supposed to save me trouble searching for the place. But after the ride, when I approached the building I believed to be my stay, it turned out... it wasn't that street!! I don't know if I didn't pronounce it accurately enough or if the driver was a little hard of hearing because he was really old, but it sucked! It sucked so much!!! I ended up in the middle of nowhere, in the dark, with no Internet connection and no places with wifi whatsever. I was really close to panic in that moment. But I sucked it up, because that's the thing about being alone; you need to figure it out by yourself because there is no one else. So I approached a lady who was walking down the street and told her about my situation. She was very kind and helpful, she checked how I could get to my destination and showed me which bus to take. Fortunately it wasn't that far. The bus arrived shortly after, but the driver was very bitchy when I asked him some questions (and not some elaborate questions, just: Can I buy a ticket here? Are you going to Weder street? Geez.), some people clearly have no patience. The same when I asked a woman about purchasing the sim card in Rossman, she was so unhappy with me. But I already got through that initial cultural shock of coming back to Europe - not everyone will be sweet to you.

This time I got to the right place, it took me some time to figure out the screenshot instead of the interactive map I am used to, but I made it. When I arrieved I got to know my flatmate but was barely capable of any coherent conversation after all that stress I've been through today. Or maybe the fact he looked so attractive had to do something with it lol. Anyhow, I was delighted to finally get to the room after all that trouble, but I still needed to go food shopping. After I came back I realized I left my phone in the room. I had the code to open the gate on it. I called the doorbell but nothing happened for a long time... I doubted whether it even worked, because the bathroom lock, central heating and the main light in my room don't work... I already started wondering whether I had no other choice but to find a hotel for that night, but then the handsome flatmate appeared again and opened the door for me! Even though I was embarrased as hell to be such a nuisance, it still felt nice to get in and see a pretty face at the end of such a horrible day.

I am living in a Monteurrwohnung. The room actually doesn't look as bad as it did on the picture. (No idea who made that post for them but they should definitely fire that person.) The kitchen and the other areas are nice and clean. The only problem is that is freaking cold 🥶 @Kalitraz you can come winter camping in my room. And then have some German snacks! 😆

I have two quilts here and my winter coat would be good to go to Antarctica I guess, so in the worst case I am gonna sleep in it. What a beginning of that new life!

P.S. Two weeks later I am renting a much better place. My wonderful husband helped me find it and I already booked it :)

• Like 4

Veni, vidi, vici. 

5 hours ago, Mistr said:

I am glad you made it to your place in Germany. You did great to maintain your composure through all the difficulties.

I hope things go more smoothly tomorrow.

Thank you! Yes, the next day was much better, I am gonna write about it today. I am really happy to be in a new country, a change can be scary, but it's interesting. Even though I loved my life in China, I was sometimes bored with it after three years of routine in the nursery. Time for something new! :)

Veni, vidi, vici. 

The third day in Hanover.

I am in my bed under two quilts and with a hot water bottle under it. Both of them are yesterday’s loot. The cleaning man wasn’t very eager to let me keep the extra quilt because he was worried there won’t be enough of them if every room is taken, but finally he let me keep it. Then I saw the hot bottle water in the nearby shop and decided that’s just what I need to survive those two weeks. It works pretty well, I am not very cold.

After those few days here I noticed Germans are so quiet. They speak so quietly in cafes and restaurants and the two men who live with me are just so silent for the whole time as if they weren’t even there. It’s impressive. I think I can only be this quiet after I am dead xD When I talk I am loud and expressive, just like Chinese (but I am trying to control myself here). Now I think it’s really quite fitting I called myself a Jackdaw and not a nightingale :P

I started with the anxiety pills. I was so worried as if I was gonna collapse dead just after swallowing it down, but it turned out... I didn’t feel anything! Any side effects so far. I don’t know if it’s gonna stay this way after few days, but I think it can’t be too bad if the first day is so good. What do you think?

Today I updated my resume on indeed and applied for another job. I am gonna speed it up and send 5-10 resumes a day starting from tomorrow. I’ve got a full fridge, a German phone number (again, got it with great difficulty! But it worked this time), Internet. I can focus on the job hunting now.

I am also gonna talk to at least one person a day to practise my speaking skills. Yesterday I asked someone on the bus stop how to buy tickets (I know I could just check such stuff in the Internet but then I won’t have that awesome feeling of rpg game xD ), today I called room service to report that there was a problem with the toilet. I called them four times because I felt like my case was gonna be abandoned if I am not very annoying  convincing. Finally they came. I'd like to chat with my flatmates but they move through the common spaces with the speed of light and disappear in their rooms. Very private guys. 

That’s it! I am really curious how my life here is gonna turn out and where I’ll end up. But for now it’s fun to try to orientate myself in this new country (everything is so different!) and talk to people and be able to communicate with them.

P.S. Cyclists hate me. There weren’t any cyclists paths in any place I’ve lived so far, so I keep on forgetting they exist and find myself standing on one from time to time. Imagine those glares. Haha, deal with me!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 4

Veni, vidi, vici. 

Today it's been raining cats and dogs and the wind is really vicious, so I didn't go anywhere (only supermarket). But I got to know my flatmate a little bit! I broke the ice by saying how shitty the weather is and surprisingly he was very glad to talk to me. Maybe some people just don't know how to strike up a conversation with a stranger. I got to know he is not a worker, but a biomedicine student. How cool! I also told him a bit about myself. When I said I lived in China for eight years, he said "No shit!," but a funny thing, that's not what surprised him the most. When I mentioned my husband, his eyes became big like plates and he said: "You are married?! How old are you? " People, it happens to me all the time!! xD Do I not look legal? According to me, I look very much 32ish, maybe even older than that. But apparently other people see it differently. I can't complain, it's really nice actually. 

It's my second day on meds, still no side effects. No idea if I could get the desired effects so quickly, but I feel so calm and happy. Today I could just lie in my bed and do nothing, just relax. I don't remember when was the last time I could do it. Probably months ago. 

Besides, not much happened. I've been writing cover letters and chatting with my family on the phone while staying in bed to keep warm.

• Like 5

Veni, vidi, vici. 

Aaaa I didn't know you changed your username HI HI HI ❤️ Was wondering where your challenge was!! XD

19 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

It's my second day on meds, still no side effects. No idea if I could get the desired effects so quickly, but I feel so calm and happy. Today I could just lie in my bed and do nothing, just relax. I don't remember when was the last time I could do it. Probably months ago. 

This is so good to hear!  It must be even better to feel this way, happy for you!!

You are so brave to do what you're doing, I'd be so out of my league and end up crying on a street corner or something I think LOL.  I love reading about your adventures!!

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

4 hours ago, shaar said:

You are so brave to do what you're doing, I'd be so out of my league and end up crying on a street corner or something I think LOL.  I love reading about your adventures!!

Awww thank you!! I am so glad to hear that! Believe me, I wanted to cry to!

Yeah, I felt like I outgrew my nickname, in the past it seemed so cool and dark, but I am not such a person. I like the new one better :)

• Like 2

Veni, vidi, vici. 

Today I danced salsa with a stranger in a park, talked with a homeless man, talked with an elder lady and a man in a washing salon, used clothes dryer machine for the first time and went to a beautiful park! What an amazing day!

In the afternoon when I was already tired writing the cover letter I got stuck on, I decided it's time to go out and explore the city a little bit. It was raining for the last two days, so I didn't have a chance to do that. I went to a beautiful park with a town hall. It was a very pleasant experience. The architecture is beautiful and the people smile to each other, enjoy the sunshine, engrossed in their conversations while sitting on the pavement. I like that. They look so happy and laid back. There are people of all skin colors and cultural backgrounds, the traditional couples have their wedding photos taken next to gay couples. I always wanted to live in a place like this. Then in my explorations I got to the place where a group of people was dancing salsa and bachata, so I obviously stuck around. I've only seen it once when I was travelling in Italy, but I was immediately captivated by the magic of that moment and never forgot that. I've got a very southern personality, when I see people dancing I just can't keep still. I struck a conversation with a dude who was sitting next to me on the park bench and it turned out he was dying to dance as well. Well, it didn't take long before we hit the dance floor together! Two instructors appeared shortly after and taught us the basic steps. We were horrible, but had so much fun together! I was really tempted to get to know the (very handsome) guy, but I don't want to get involved in anything weird while having a husband, so after the dance I bid farewell. But OMG, dancing on the street in GERMANY!!! Not Italy, not Spain, not Brazil, but Germany! I'd never see it coming xD 

I think I need to find a job in which I talk to people because I am a real pro in that. I talk to some random people on the street to get fluent every day and I can always make them help me out or like today, dance with me ;) Me, the Silver Tongue! xD Stay tuned for my upcoming adventures!

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 3

Veni, vidi, vici. 

On 10/21/2023 at 2:40 PM, shaar said:

Aaaa I didn't know you changed your username HI HI HI ❤️ Was wondering where your challenge was!! XD

Fortunately the avatar gave it away. 😁

I actually caught on surprisingly quickly. Usually takes me forever before the penny drops... 😇

• Haha 2

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

5 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Fortunately the avatar gave it away. 😁

I actually caught on surprisingly quickly. Usually takes me forever before the penny drops... 😇

Aha context clues!!

I actually said during one of my game streams the other week, when I found out I was killing the wrong mobs for a quest... "I played myself by not paying attention! That is a classic "me" trope!" 😅

• Haha 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

Great to hear that you are getting out and talking with people. I would find that emotionally challenging.

I hope the meds help you deal calmly with all the new things you are doing.

Thanks! Sometimes I find it challenging too, especially if I person I try to talk to is not very welcoming, but if they are it's delightful! I love such random encounters with strangers. Plus, I don't earn money right now so when I already spend a lot by living in Germany, at least I am gonna improve my language skills :) It will definitely help me feel more confident  when I get my first job interview. 

• Like 5

Veni, vidi, vici. 

As you probably remember, I am living with two guys; a young boy and an old man. Today I tried to talk to the old man. When I met him in the common space, I greeted him: ”Hi! How is it going?” He was so shocked someone spoke to him that he literally froze like a deer in the headlights xD Then he shrugged awkwardly and walked away murmuring to himself ”How is it going? How is it going...?” It sounded almost like  ”To be or not to be?” I think I am gonna pass on this one, conversations with strangers are apparently too much stress for him 🤣

Yesterday I advanced from 1/4 of a pill to 1/2 and since then my mood changed dramatically. I feel very anxious and sad, I just feel like I want to hide myself and not see anyone. I forced myself to go shopping despite such a mood and to ask at the train station about some details regarding the monthly ticket I wanna purchase. It went smoothly. Today I talked with my German friend I got to know during my quarantine in the hotel in China three years ago and he was very enthusiastic to help me. He asked me to call his mum and his sister to give me some tips and maybe let me know about some job opportunities. I was pretty stressed about those calls for the whole day, but they went pretty smoothly and I understood everything. I am good, I just need more time to speak effortlessly. The information I got is not very encouraging, but I am trying not to let it get to me. I don't have any place I could go back to anyhow, for me the only way is forward. 

• Like 5

Veni, vidi, vici. 

10 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

for me the only way is forward. 

This is one of my go-to pump myself up songs for workouts or just when I need to get out of a rut (and a little bonus German practice for you 😉).  Maybe it'll be helpful for you too. A capella (plus drum) German metal. I'm proud of you for all the work you're doing. I hope the meds continue to help and that you can adjust to the new dose quickly.

The winds of change hit you head on.
Whoever doesn’t struggle, has already lost.
And if your strength falters, don't despair,  for one thing's certain, you still have yourself.

Spoiler
Es sind jetzt mehr als 1000 Tage
Seit du aufgebrochen bist
Und noch mehr als 100 Stunden
Bis der Schlaf dir sicher ist
Egal wie sehr du hadern magst
Mit diesem Jetzt und Hier
Die Antwort, die du suchst, liegt noch vor dir

Geh diesen Weg
Dreh nicht wieder um
Geh ihn bis zum Schluss
Ein Weg der gegangen werden muss
Es ist nicht mehr weit
Geh noch dieses Stück
Und lass dich bitte nicht zurück

Bei Sturmgewalt und Regen
Lauf auf neuen Wegen
Kopf hoch, neuer Wind kommt von vorn
Stemm dich fest dagegen
Wer nicht kämpft, hat schon verloren
Neuer Wind kommt stets von vorn

Egal wie kalt die Nächte sind
Du bist nicht allein
Hier sammeln sich alle Mächte
Lass es deine sein
Und wenn du auch an Kraft verlierst
Verzweifle daran nicht
Denn sicher ist, du hast du immer noch dich

Geh diesen Weg
Dreh nicht wieder um
Geh ihn bis zum Schluss
Es ist nicht mehr weit
Geh noch dieses Stück

Lauf auf neuen Wegen
Stemm dich fest dagegen

Lauf auf neuen Wegen
Stemm dich fest dagegen
Morgen wirst du neu gebor'n

• That's Metal 3

Challenges: 1st [B-], 2nd [NA], (6 years away),  3rd[A-], 4th [B-], 5th [C], 6th [Current]

The most important step a man can take. It's not the first one, is it? It's the next one. Always the next step.

11 hours ago, Kalitraz said:

This is one of my go-to pump myself up songs for workouts or just when I need to get out of a rut (and a little bonus German practice for you 😉).  Maybe it'll be helpful for you too. A capella (plus drum) German metal. I'm proud of you for all the work you're doing. I hope the meds continue to help and that you can adjust to the new dose quickly.

The winds of change hit you head on.
Whoever doesn’t struggle, has already lost.
And if your strength falters, don't despair,  for one thing's certain, you still have yourself.

Reveal hidden contents
Es sind jetzt mehr als 1000 Tage
Seit du aufgebrochen bist
Und noch mehr als 100 Stunden
Bis der Schlaf dir sicher ist
Egal wie sehr du hadern magst
Mit diesem Jetzt und Hier
Die Antwort, die du suchst, liegt noch vor dir

Geh diesen Weg
Dreh nicht wieder um
Geh ihn bis zum Schluss
Es ist nicht mehr weit
Geh noch dieses Stück

Lauf auf neuen Wegen
Stemm dich fest dagegen

Egal wie kalt die Nächte sind
Du bist nicht allein
Hier sammeln sich alle Mächte
Lass es deine sein
Und wenn du auch an Kraft verlierst
Verzweifle daran nicht
Denn sicher ist, du hast du immer noch dich

Geh diesen Weg
Dreh nicht wieder um
Geh ihn bis zum Schluss
Es ist nicht mehr weit
Geh noch dieses Stück

Lauf auf neuen Wegen
Stemm dich fest dagegen

Lauf auf neuen Wegen
Stemm dich fest dagegen
Morgen wirst du neu gebor'n

Hey, nothing better than German metal first thing in the morning! :) I like the lyrics, it's very encouraging. Suggest me more pump-up workout songs, please :)

• Like 1

Veni, vidi, vici. 

Recently I found two language partners online which is cool because I can practise before I find some friends here. One of them is a girl from Slovenia, she is a doctor and she is very cool! The other one is a guy from Serbia and here I have mixed feelings... He was very friendly and everything was all right. Then I was telling him I don't mind to commute for a long time because when I was a student I commuted two hours one way. You know what he said??? "But you were young. Now you're not. But I am young." Jesus, what's with those young men nowadays??? It's so freaking rude. And it made me sad. I told him he made me feel like I am so old and he changed the subject immediately. Hopefully he understood his mistake. 

I've caught a cold, I slept for almost the whole day and night yesterday. I think I contracted it from the flatmate, he has been very sick.  I am not gonna do anything today, just eat cookies and watch Netflix. The job hunt can wait for a few days. What crazy stories I've heard, people... That it takes about a year to find a job, a year to find an apartment... If it's true I may start a new career as a beggar here, but from what I've seen at the train station, the competition in this field is also very fierce 😆 

• Like 3

Veni, vidi, vici. 

17 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

Jesus, what's with those young men nowadays??? It's so freaking rude. And it made me sad. I told him he made me feel like I am so old and he changed the subject immediately. Hopefully he understood his mistake. 

Young people in general, I feel. They often just blurt out things that we never would have when we were young. Sign of the times, perhaps?

If he changed the subject immediately, then he likely got the message (but refused to admit his mistake).

I've caught a cold, I slept for almost the whole day and night yesterday. I think I contracted it from the flatmate, he has been very sick.  I am not gonna do anything today, just eat cookies and watch Netflix. The job hunt can wait for a few days.

Taking care of yourself is a priority. Get well soon (and enjoy the cookies and Netflix).

What crazy stories I've heard, people... That it takes about a year to find a job, a year to find an apartment... If it's true I may start a new career as a beggar here, but from what I've seen at the train station, the competition in this field is also very fierce 😆 

I can't speak for the apartment hunt, but Germany has unemployment numbers that are very similar to those in Belgium, and that have been on their lowest point for a couple of years now.

That actually means that there are a LOT of job opportunities out there, with companies practically begging for new people but not finding them. Depending on the job, at least that shouldn't be such an issue...

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952cxy0q8byr7eiep8dxtu

• Like 1

Active challenges: Show up and don't go AWOL | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

6 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Hey, nothing better than German metal first thing in the morning! :) I like the lyrics, it's very encouraging. Suggest me more pump-up workout songs, please :)

Just got this one from @TimovieMan a few days ago but it became an instant favorite lol.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

8 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Young people in general, I feel. They often just blurt out things that we never would have when we were young. Sign of the times, perhaps?

If he changed the subject immediately, then he likely got the message (but refused to admit his mistake).

Taking care of yourself is a priority. Get well soon (and enjoy the cookies and Netflix).

I can't speak for the apartment hunt, but Germany has unemployment numbers that are very similar to those in Belgium, and that have been on their lowest point for a couple of years now.

That actually means that there are a LOT of job opportunities out there, with companies practically begging for new people but not finding them. Depending on the job, at least that shouldn't be such an issue...

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952cxy0q8byr7eiep8dxtu

Maybe you are right. When you mentioned it I recalled I got a friend with whom I am very close, she is much younger than me and she also said a similar thing. What is the reason behind it? They don't realize it's very unpleasant to hear something like that? 

Thank you for your encouragement, it really made me feel better! I also know that people often say things that are not really true/objective, just based on their own beliefs or experiences. I can't let it get to my head. There must be at least one job opportunity for me in the whole coubtry, right? xD 

Oh yes, I bought very delicious cookies, I am enjoying them very much :)

• Like 2

Veni, vidi, vici. 

So I ordered my mushroom coffee online few days ago. They didn't deliver it yesterday, today I was instructed to put my name on the door or next to the ring bell. I did that. But this afternoon I got an e-mail saying that unfortunately they couldn't deliver my package because THEY COULDN'T FIND THE ENTRANCE to the building. I even had to check in a dictionary whether "Eingang" does mean entrance, because I couldn't believe it. Btsgsgshsjwhw is this really happening! ? I am feeling very surreal right now. 

• Confused 1

Veni, vidi, vici.