Juliebarkley steps out

On 11/21/2023 at 8:10 AM, juliebarkley said:

I've been feeling a bit lonely myself since everyone seems to be a bit busy and not around much these days, and it's not a happy thing.

I don't know if you mean online or in general, but I've been feeling this too. I'm mega busy and not interacting with people as much, but also it feels like people just aren't around as much either?

If you do want someone to talk to, in a wildly inconvenient time zone, feel free to drop me a line.

• Like 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

18 hours ago, Sepherina said:

Hope that kitty drugs worked so  you got the rest you needed.  

The cat drugs did the job they were supposed to. I didn't though - I couldn't find the cat at bedtime, so I shut the door thinking she was out of the room. She emerged from her secret hidey-hole and tried to come to bed with me when I stirred, so I had to box her up in the middle of the night. But it all worked out okay.

17 hours ago, Jarric said:

I don't know if you mean online or in general, but I've been feeling this too. I'm mega busy and not interacting with people as much, but also it feels like people just aren't around as much either?

If you do want someone to talk to, in a wildly inconvenient time zone, feel free to drop me a line.

Both. I don't know if it's a time-of-year thing or just coincidence, but it feels like everyone is a bit absent all at once. Probably I am as well - it has been a busy couple of weeks at work and I know my friendship reaching-out project has suffered due to that.

I'll keep that in mind, if it's an open invitation. :) Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Um... The bit that I usually copy-paste is on a previous page, and I have a habitual habit of going back to the other page wrong and having my active post deleted. So for today, I am going to try to fill in the blanks from memory.

Ongoing habits:

I did not exercise today. I did yesterday though - both a GMB session of Elements and a walk before bed. Had to cut the walk a touch short because the hill was icy and I didn't want to slide down. Even the flat part required attention to foot placement.

No prayers today or yesterday. Yesterday it was more of a timing thing. I don't know what happened today. I think I may have had a podcast on, and the alarms didn't sound or something. I only remember hearing one.

I did not get rid of a think yesterday. Today I got rid of a CD by someone I have never heard of that I do not remember ever seeing before. But I did a quick listen on Spotify before I did, and I actually quite liked the one I listened to. So I may check out more by the artist (Dayna Manning), but I don't need this CD to do that.

Work tasks got worked on. The tasks for the display rotation got expanded even more, as I realized there are more areas that require posters and themes than I first thought. Tasks currently stand at 859. I probably did about 15 or so today.

I did read a couple of challenges and I think I may have posted too.

New tasks:

I did not go out. I got lots of socializing yesterday, plus it was grey today and I had work things that I had to work on. But I posted on my forum, so I did do something.

I got my framework for my permanent monthly display rotation built out and started. It has so many parts. (Why must the children's area have five displays and also need a passive activity?? Bleh. But that's why I'm getting the thing set up - because I am not a natural with displays.)

I have done some reading. My book hit a chapter that was difficult reading for personal reasons, so I may have to switch books again for a bit.

My main work thing was actually a fun one. I had a craft for which I needed to make a sample, but I needed either a compass or a protractor, neither of which we had at work. I found a compass at home and got to work. First I needed to get a circle the right size, then mark it off to make six points. (This is where the compass comes in, and why you often get hexagons in older sewing projects: in addition to their tiling properties, they are easy to draft when you know how. The radius of a circle is exactly the length of one side of a hexagon of the same size, so if your compass is all set, all you need to do it pick a point, set the point of the compass there and make a mark with the pencil, move the compass, and repeat until you have six perfectly even marks.) Then I connected up the dots to make the pattern outline with a marker, and stitched it. This is the end result:

Spoiler

IMG_0178.thumb.jpeg.2285a7e90cd8a03e4501ab73bd2c72e5.jpeg

I think it turned out pretty nice, if you ignore the extra holes and the visible lines (I was figuring things out). Should be a good option for the older kiddos, especially if we have variegated yarn.

Now I just need snow-related music to play in the background. If you know of fun snowy songs, please do suggest!

• Like 3
  • Angry on your Behalf 1
On 11/24/2023 at 7:46 AM, juliebarkley said:

I'll keep that in mind, if it's an open invitation. :)

It very much is - you know where to find me :)

On 11/24/2023 at 7:46 AM, juliebarkley said:

The radius of a circle is exactly the length of one side of a hexagon of the same size, so if your compass is all set, all you need to do it pick a point, set the point of the compass there and make a mark with the pencil, move the compass, and repeat until you have six perfectly even marks

I didn't know that; that's cool! I really like the pattern you've created from it too.

• Like 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric embraces brevity

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

21 hours ago, Jarric said:

It very much is - you know where to find me :)

I didn't know that; that's cool! I really like the pattern you've created from it too.

Thanks!

I can't take credit for the pattern - I copied it from a website, who copied it from a paper plate with a printed snowflake design. But it would be easy to adjust to make, say, a hexagonal spiderweb pattern or something.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last couple of days have been weird. I had a program at work. I sorted beads (at work). I played D&D. I played far more than is healthy on a phone game. I read some tricky stuff that's made me do some thinking and feeling. I learned a whole bunch of stuff that I am processing (nothing terrible, just stuff where I was being let in on a secret or where my past impressions were wrong). And I did very very little that was challenge-related.

I feel very much at loose ends and not sure what to do. Not sure if what I need it to throw myself back into something mindless (like phone game) for a while, or if that is a way to avoid the thinking and processing I actually should do. Probably a good thing it's the end of the challenge, I guess.

Will come up with some sort of summary tomorrow.

• Like 3

This is a more distant tomorrow than the one I planned on, but oh well. A summary.

Ongoing habits:

Exercise: I did a decent but not perfect job at doing exercise when I came home from work. Generally when I failed, it was either because I was too exhausted or because I was being sabotaged by family members. I can't do a lot about the family members, but I could have a backup plan for what do do when I am too tired/sick/injured for Plan A.

Prayer: I did better than last month, but there is still a lot of improvement to be had here. I do want to celebrate what I did do though, because it IS improvement.

NerdFitness: I did not read as much as I had hoped, and did not stay anything like caught up. Sadness.

Purging: This fell apart a bit at the end, but mostly I did something small every day, which was the plan.

Tasks: The list has grown, but I did work on it. Probably I need to work on it more so that it stops growing. Please list, stop growing.

New shiny things for this challenge:

New People: This also fell apart as the challenge went on. I do feel like this is important to do, but I am going to have to schedule myself dates where I do x thing, rather than wait and see how I feel on the day (when I will remember too late and then do nothing). I did realize this earlier in the challenge, and then didn't take action on it.

Read: I have done a pretty good job of reading daily and have finished three books (I think) this challenge.

Long-Term: There was progress made here, but it was also a nebulous thing that I would often struggle to do on the day. I think the takeaway here is that I need more precise "do this" goals, rather than "do something in this family of things" goals.

I will put up a new challenge when I figure out what I want to do for the challenge. :)

• Like 2